Chalong Lights - This Month Switch On ?

LivinginKata

yesterday lunchtime - lights on and 17 mins from 7-11 to get thru circle

today lights off and no queue

mmmmmmmmmmm

another waste of money and a landmark gone

still dont understand why they think u cannot have a circle WITH traffic lights, works every where else in the world

Most round a bouts in the world DO NOT have lites, work very well, traffic lites do not work according to traffic flows, THAT causes all the problems.

Wonder if fountain was smashed beyond repair

We only saw the fountain playing once in the last four years, so will it really be missed?

It was of no historical or architectural merit ; just a large fish bowl! and too bulky and heavy to move without

breaking it anyway.

All I know is the other evening they were on, and it was a complete mess.

Chaofa backed up a km, Wiset backed up a km and a half. I haven't seen them turned on since, and they put the cones back around the circle.

NBT, PhuketWan, anybody have a recent report as to what is going on?

Passed through the circle on way to Jimmy's Lighthouse for lunch, and then back to Kata. No lights on, cones to make roundabout. Traffic flowing well, no hold ups.

same for me, came through there 10 minutes a go, a smooth running roundabout.

Who pocketed the money for the one day stoplight experiment? The stoplight installation guys are named Thaksin? Now there will be a further charge for the removal chai mai?

Edited by huggybear

I hope you don't drive, because
Explanation would be nice after a remark like that.

Do I really have to explain why giving way to traffic coming form the right allows traffic to flow freely, and giving way to the left is a recipe for disaster?

Can't you work it out for yourself?

Please tell me you don't drive.

Do I really have to explain why giving way to traffic coming form the right allows traffic to flow freely, and giving way to the left is a recipe for disaster?
May I suggest you reread what was written? You are adding words in your sentence that were not written, nor intended to be written.

May I suggest you reread what was written? You are adding words in your sentence that were not written, nor intended to be written.

Well I have re-read it 3 times and it dose not make sense to me either.

I come from the U.K and we have thousands of roundabout's there and know how to use them.

Many nationalities have never encountered them before.

I was living Queenstown NZ when they introduced them there.For months it was chaos people just used to sit there waiting for the drivers on there left to go.

Many of these drivers were from Asia and the USA but even the Kiwis could not grasp the the concept of Give Way to traffic coming from your right

Quote: "NBT, PhuketWan, anybody have a recent report as to what is going on?' Unquote

The police told us last Thursday that water, presumably rain, got inside the traffic lights and they were broken awaiting repair or more budget..... (hardly worth reporting on).

Bingo ! Thanks ! That's better than a lot of the speculation (myself included) going on regarding the matter.

Also seems a convenient excuse........

I come from the U.K and we have thousands of roundabout's there and know how to use them.

I was living Queenstown NZ when they introduced them there.For months it was chaos people just used to sit there waiting for the drivers on there left to go.

Many of these drivers were from Asia and the USA but even the Kiwis could not grasp the the concept of Give Way to traffic coming from your right

Giddaway with ya.

Where you from?

If you were in Queenstown at busy time, yeah.

Most drivers are from lefthand drive countries, not used to right hand drive, there is chaos, possibly like at the circle.

I am a Kiwi, no problem here with roundabouts until some idiot coucillors wanna change them, usually howled down.

Some here with 5, 6 and 7 streets running off them, great, FAR better than traffic lites.

At peak times, roundabouts are self regulating, traffic flows smoothly.

Circle was a prime example.

No fixed phasing, like lite controlled intersections.

I visit Chalong every year, sometimes 2 - 3 times, circle never been a problem for me when driving.

Cannot wait to get back, 16th Oct to see the fun if lites still going.

I beg your pardon stevenl - I did re-read and now, finally, understand what you meant! :o

Doesn't give way to your right ends up being the same as give way (coming) from the left?

Except that give way to the right is easier to communicate?

So you meant "give way to traffic when you are coming from the left".

I thought you meant "give way to traffic that is coming from the left" - which would cause grid-lock on any roundabout at busy times.

My apologies.

Giddaway with ya.

Where you from?

Most drivers are from lefthand drive countries, not used to right hand drive, there is chaos, possibly like at the circle.

I am a Kiwi, no problem here with roundabouts until some idiot coucillors wanna change them, usually howled down.

Some here with 5, 6 and 7 streets running off them, great, FAR better than traffic lites.

I visit Chalong every year, sometimes 2 - 3 times, circle never been a problem for me when driving.

Hi Zpete

Noticed you were a JAFA.Only joking mate.

I have dual nationality UK-NZ.I lived in NZ for a few years Takapuna,Christchurch and then Queenstown for 5 years.

I'm telling you it was chaos for months in Qtown.Probably up in the big city you were used to them but down there in sticks it was different.

Might catch you in the Come On.Used to go with a very nice lady from there last year.

Cheers

Giddaway with ya.

Where you from?

Hi Zpete

Noticed you were a JAFA.Only joking mate.

I have dual nationality UK-NZ.I lived in NZ for a few years Takapuna,Christchurch and then Queenstown for 5 years.

I'm telling you it was chaos for months in Qtown.Probably up in the big city you were used to them but down there in sticks it was different.

Might catch you in the Come On.Used to go with a very nice lady from there last year.

Cheers

Accidents down south usually involve foriegners.

Kwi drivers are not the best, but they survive the crazy tourists.

Quote, Your words;

I was living Queenstown NZ when they introduced them there. For months it was chaos people just used to sit there waiting for the drivers on there left to go.

Unquote.

That was the correct road rule until a year or two back, right turning traffic gave way, except on roundabouts.

LEFT turning traffic now gives way in Aotearoa......

Just

A

Fabulous

Aucklander

That's me.........LOL

I will be at ON's Bar evenings of 16th & 17th October, then back for Loy Krathon in Nov.

Hope to stay in the AO Chalong Inn opposite.

ON, has had some really nice girls, been going there 4 years.

I have one who usually travels around with me, but after last trip, she moved to Karon.

If you have been in Auckland, there is Royal Oak roundabout, never problems, was 6 way, one street blocked off.

Panmure roundabout, 6 ways, no problems at, smooth traffic all the time.

Both are main arterial routes.

Edit, quote function would not work properly......grrr

Edited by Zpete