Clarifacation

I arrived in November 2001. armed with a 'O' non imigran visa I made a one year retirement visa. I have renewed this every consecative year without and problems.

During this time I have even renewed my passport and had the 'O' visa details transferred. My question is? will I ever have to renew thai 'O' visa presuming I continue to obtain a yearly retirement visa.

No panic hust a general inquiry.

Cheers

The visa was your permission to come to Thailand and to ask for permission to stay. A visa is not a permission to stay, that wil be determined at the border itself. At the border itself you recieve permission to enter Thailand and get a stamp in your passport which tells you till what date you can stay. It is this permission of stay you extend every year, not the visa.

You do not need a new visa, since you are already in Thailand. Only if you would leave Thailand without a re-entry permit you would need a new visa.

denboy, just like the immigration office did for you last time when you got a new passport they will with every future new passport make a note in it of the non-O visa with which you originally entered the country. This is the reason why you will never need a new non-O visa if you keep your extensions continuous.

While that non-O visa merely allowed you to travel to Thailand, the extension rules list as one of the criteria for some types of extension, including the retirement extension, that the applicant must have entered with a non-O visa and this is the reason why the non-O visa details are noted in each successive passport.

--

Maestro

My new mantra: The visa lets you enter the Kingdom, the stamp lets you stay in the Kingdom

The visa doesn't allow you to enter Thailand. It allows you to come to Thailand and ask for permission to stay. You can still be denied entry.

Granted, that.

Your version is more correct...but mine rolls off the tongue much better :o

How about this? The visa lets you come to Thailand, the stamp lets you stay

Edited by mgjackson69

To what tune are you singing that? :D

Actually, seeing that we are doing a doctoral thesis on the subject, “come” looks wrong to me from a geographical point of view. When you receive your visa you are in a place on the planet that is outside Thailand. This means that you will be going to Thailand. “Go” being such a ordinary word, you may want to use “journey”, the word I see having been used on the visa stamps in my passport (don’t know if the visas on adhesive labels use the same text)

But then you still have to look at how it flows, the metre or meter, as I believe it is called in poetry, the number and sequence of stressed and unstressed syllables. Perhaps insert “then” between “stamp” and “lets”?

The vísa léts you jóurney to Tháiland, the éntry stámp then léts you stáy. Any composers here to write a tune to it?

Or can anybody come up with a limerick to fit? With the correct metre and rhyme, of course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_(poetry)

--

Maestro

To what tune are you singing that? :D

Actually, seeing that we are doing a doctoral thesis on the subject, “come” looks wrong to me from a geographical point of view. When you receive your visa you are in a place on the planet that is outside Thailand. This means that you will be going to Thailand. “Go” being such a ordinary word, you may want to use “journey”, the word I see having been used on the visa stamps in my passport (don’t know if the visas on adhesive labels use the same text)

But then you still have to look at how it flows, the metre or meter, as I believe it is called in poetry, the number and sequence of stressed and unstressed syllables. Perhaps insert “then” between “stamp” and “lets”?

The vísa léts you jóurney to Tháiland, the éntry stámp then léts you stáy. Any composers here to write a tune to it?

Or can anybody come up with a limerick to fit? With the correct metre and rhyme, of course:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_(poetry)

--

Maestro

Hmmmmm....since I was in Thailand when I posted, I suppose it was correct geographically.

"The visa lets you apply for entry, the stamp lets you stay"??? That genericizes it to fit the situation for most countries.