Looking For Shell Grit And Calcium Carbonate

Smithson

Does anyone know where to buy shell grit and calcium carbonate? I'm told the shell grit is normally available from produce stores, but as I'm living in Bangkok I'm not sure where to look here. I need it for my aquaponics system to adjust the PH.

The Poon Khao is for adjusting PH level, what is the shell grit for ?

How about going to your local seafood restaraunt and buying their oyster shells at the end of everyday?

rgds

I asked my wife, but she won't do it. I'm not keen either, I can just see the looks on their faces!

I'll try and get shell grit when I'm out of Bangkok.

Rice, thanks for the tip, only thing is I'm not sure how to use it.

Things will sort themselves out one way or another - there's only a few fish left! The high PH is making it difficult for the nitrogen cycle to work, so the tank has too much ammonia.

Smithson, dolomite is a lot gentler at adjusting PH and will help neutralise the ammonia .

Do you mean dolomite is gentler than ashes? I've got about 180 lts, with a Ph of 6 - 6.5. Any idea how much I should add? Will it neutralize the ammonia or help it convert to nitrate? The latter is what I want, it'll help the plants along.

The shell grit it also for the PH, however it may work to stabilize the PH, but not actually adjust it. I'm using coco husks as a medium, this may be affecting the PH. I also think the source water is a problem.

Smithson, dolomite is a lot gentler at adjusting PH and will help neutralise the ammonia .

Do you mean dolomite is gentler than ashes? I've got about 180 lts, with a Ph of 6 - 6.5. Any idea how much I should add? Will it neutralize the ammonia or help it convert to nitrate? The latter is what I want, it'll help the plants along.

The shell grit it also for the PH, however it may work to stabilize the PH, but not actually adjust it. I'm using coco husks as a medium, this may be affecting the PH. I also think the source water is a problem.

I am at a bit of a loss re what you are trying to accomplish , at 6-6.5 you are in the right range for most veggies, if you change your PH to below 5.5 or above 7 ,then you can adversely affect your micro-organisms which in turn affects their ability to convert ammonia.

With such a small quantity of water ,I think it would be advisable to use Phosphoric Acid to lower your PH and Potassium Hydroxide to raise it.

Hello Smithson, about 6 years back I was on an Aquaponicks board, I started to look for the url and think I may have found it. I don't know if it's still active group. It is a Midwest US group, so the weather and things are different. The had good discussions on grow beds, filters and Ph adjustment without killing you fish or filter.

*Aquaponics* mail group is an open list specifically for aquaponics - the

combined systems of aquaculture and hydroponics. The list is a general

information exchange forum of folks who share a common interest in aquaponics

and related subjects. Subscription information is: Send a message to

[email protected] In the body type SUBSCRIBE

This is where I found the link again. There may also be a group in OZ. UVI has really grown from when I first found it through the Aquaponics board.

http://www.egr.msu.edu/age/aenewsletter/1_...igan9_10_02.htm

http://www.urbanaquaponics.com.au/

http://rps.uvi.edu/AES/Aquaculture/UVIShortCourse.html

I always liked the bottle cap filter, see pix.

The rest of the bottle cap system.

UVI has gotten BIG.

rice555

post-37242-1221320060_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1221320158_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1221320200_thumb.jpg

I am at a bit of a loss re what you are trying to accomplish , at 6-6.5 you are in the right range for most veggies, if you change your PH to below 5.5 or above 7 ,then you can adversely affect your micro-organisms which in turn affects their ability to convert ammonia.

With such a small quantity of water ,I think it would be advisable to use Phosphoric Acid to lower your PH and Potassium Hydroxide to raise it.

Dom,

The PH is 6 now and there's too much ammonia. I want to raise it to 7 - 7.5, apparently this is the desirable range for the micro organisms. Any idea what potassium hydroxide is called in Thai and the availability?

Dom,

The PH is 6 now and there's too much ammonia. I want to raise it to 7 - 7.5, apparently this is the desirable range for the micro organisms. Any idea what potassium hydroxide is called in Thai and the availability?

I would imagine that you are using a small pump in your setup,but if not why not fit a small aquarium pump and a Zeolite filter.

These are both available at any decent aquarium and fish supplier. The zeolite filter usually is filled with zeolite chips and cheap to replace and are great for filtering out ammonia without the problems of using chemical agents . It is also claimed that aeration can reduce ammonia,so a small air pump and stone could be beneficial.

Your micro-organisms and fish will also benefit from aeration.

Dom,

I would imagine that you are using a small pump in your setup,but if not why not fit a small aquarium pump and a Zeolite filter.

These are both available at any decent aquarium and fish supplier. The zeolite filter usually is filled with zeolite chips and cheap to replace and are great for filtering out ammonia without the problems of using chemical agents . It is also claimed that aeration can reduce ammonia,so a small air pump and stone could be beneficial.

Your micro-organisms and fish will also benefit from aeration.

Dom, yes I'm using the small pump. Regarding the ammonia removal, the idea with aquaponics is that the ammonia is converted to nitrate, then nitrite and then is taken up by the plants. To do this you need the bacteria and the correct PH.

Here are a few local (Thailand) Calcium Carbonate vendors:

#1:

Company Name: Puttarn Trader Limited Partnership

Street Address: 131 M Oo12, Thapon, Petchaboon, 67250, Thailand

City: Petchaboon

Province/State: Petchaboon

Country/Region: Thailand

Zip: 67250

Telephone: 66-89241-3824

Mobile Phone: 668-92413824

Fax: 662-947-3233

#2:

Company Name: Calcium Products Co., Ltd

Street Address: Sukhumvit105

City: Bangkok

Zip: 10260

Telephone: 66-02-7444523

Fax: 66-02-3985453

#3:

Company Name: Quality Minerals Co., Ltd.

Street Address: 9/19 Akarnyarnphahol, Phaholyothin road, Lardyao, Jatujak, Bangkok

City: BANGKOK

Province/State: Bangkok

Zip: 10900

Telephone: 66-2-6184700

Fax: 66-2-6184701

Edited by joeycano