Dual Tax Treaty What Does This Involve?

Hi,

i got a work permit since may with a salary of 30k bath/month but i don't pay tax until next january due to changes in the law , this word is coming from my accountant and she renewed my work permit successfully a month ago so it looks true.

now the trouble, i got advantages in my country with different assets that are as far as i could understand not compatible with earning money from overseas, i need to be full resident in my country to be able to get them legally.

i'll get them anyway BUT when i'll have to complete my tax form, here's come the matter, i might and will certainly be caught on verification.

what is the principe of a dual tax agreement? does thailand send a report to the country of the alien automatically? and if so is it based on the tax paid as i don't pay tax, i guess i don't have a tax ID card and so there should have no report sent to my country ?

if someone could confirm or give me an explanation, i'd like my situation to be fully legal for my next tax form and not be involved into potential troubles.

thanks

Simple said it is a Tax treaty between 2 countries, meant to avoid double taxation for someone earning money in 1 country (and paying taxes there) so that he/she doesn't have to pay taxes again in the country of origin. But of course my explanation is SIMPLE as tax treaties are complicated :o

In many occasions there are people working all over the world and making money in several countries; in those cases the tax people speak of a joint World income and it depends how much/where/when/which year etc. etc. how much tax you still owe to your local tax man.

But if I were you I would ask your own country taxman (you can have that done by someone else) if there is already a treaty between Thailand and your own country.

LaoPo

hi,

thanks for the answer, yes there's a treaty between belgium and thailand since 1978 but i don't know how all this is working.

i do understand it's to avoid dual taxation but i don't know how the rest is working, tax form in my country, thailand report to the treasury departement etc etc and also i'm worried for my assets/avantages of being resident of belgium.

hi,

thanks for the answer, yes there's a treaty between belgium and thailand since 1978 but i don't know how all this is working.

i do understand it's to avoid dual taxation but i don't know how the rest is working, tax form in my country, thailand report to the treasury departement etc etc and also i'm worried for my assets/avantages of being resident of belgium.

If you are a Belgian resident but work temporarily in Thailand you just file you income with the Belgian tax people and show them you paid taxes in LOS...or not.

If you already paid taxes you will not be charged double taxation over your foreign income by Belgium.

Best just to ask your -international- taxman. A local taxman might not be informed enough.

Good Luck.

LaoPo