Retirement Visa Procedural Confusion

I am a US citizen, over 50 and want to get a retirement visa in Thailand. I have read what I can find and now am confused on the exact procedures and timing.

1. I entered the country last week on a 30 day visa waiver

2. I am planning to go tomorrow to Thai Immigration in Chiang Mai and apply for a 90 day visa.

3. I opened a bank account last Saturday and should have the required 800,000Bht in it withn a week.

My question/dilemma is that the 90 day visa will expire before the bank deposit has aged for the required 90 days to be verified. Will I need to leave Thailand, get another visa outside somewhere and then return before applying for the retirement visa with the qualifying bank deposit? If answer is yes, can I go to Laos and get the new visa there?

Thansk for the help. I am old and confused.

I am a US citizen, over 50 and want to get a retirement visa in Thailand. I have read what I can find and now am confused on the exact procedures and timing.

2. I am planning to go tomorrow to Thai Immigration in Chiang Mai and apply for a 90 day visa.

3. I opened a bank account last Saturday and should have the required 800,000Bht in it withn a week.

My question/dilemma is that the 90 day visa will expire before the bank deposit has aged for the required 90 days to be verified. Will I need to leave Thailand, get another visa outside somewhere and then return before applying for the retirement visa with the qualifying bank deposit? If answer is yes, can I go to Laos and get the new visa there?

If you have any worries ask Immigration when you go tomorrow.

If they say it is a problem you can pop over to Vientienne Laos and get another Visa.

Edited by Lite Beer

Surely if you have not applied for the Non O yet and you deposited the money last week, the money will be there for 3 months.

Opened the bank account last week but money is not there yet. IF I get the Non Imm O tomorrow, then will be a time gap of a week or so betwen the expiration of the visa and the money aging.

Surely if you have not applied for the Non O yet and you deposited the money last week, the money will be there for 3 months.

Opened the bank account last week but money is not there yet. IF I get the Non Imm O tomorrow, then will be a time gap of a week or so betwen the expiration of the visa and the money aging.

Sorry I did not read your post properly, too early.

All Immigration offices are different. Only Chiang Mai can answer. Ask them tomorrow.

I didn't think you could get any type of visa if you entered on visa waiver.

Immigration can update you to a Non O Visa if it is a step to a years extension of stay.

You must have at least 21 days remaining on your Tourist Visa or 30 day stamp.

I am not 100 % sure if it can only be done in Bangkok or if local offices can do it.

Edited by Lite Beer

I am sorry, but I have said it before and will say it again.. If you do not know what is going on always get the OA before coming to Thailand, it is the smart thing to do! This way you are in country and have not only a one year visa but if played smart a additional one year just by leaving and returning. Folks out there will tell you one thing and then act dumb when you ask again just depend on yourself and do the research first. Good luck

Russc.

Do not worry. You really do not have a problem.

One of the reasons you may get lots a different info on here is because every Immigration Office has different ideas on how to interperate the laws. In fact even a different officer in the same office will have another idea.

Personally I think you will be ok with the money.

Talk to Chiang Mai and they will tell you what you need to do.

If they say that the money is not in the bank long enough, it really is not a problem to do a border run or get another visa.

They are the only ones who can say.

Good Luck.

Hi Russc

There are several possibilities

If your Deposit is one week short of 3 months

the Immigration Officers may still give you your one year extension

(they do have much discretion at their disposal to "Assist" a Well Mannered Well Dressed applicant.)

OR - they might give you a 2 week or just 1 month extension of stay

so you return for the rest of your one year extension after your deposit has qualified.

A visa run is not the only possibility.

But you might have difficulty getting a Definitive answer until you actually apply for the extension.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

I am sorry, but I have said it before and will say it again.. If you do not know what is going on always get the OA before coming to Thailand, it is the smart thing to do! This way you are in country and have not only a one year visa but if played smart a additional one year just by leaving and returning. Folks out there will tell you one thing and then act dumb when you ask again just depend on yourself and do the research first. Good luck

I am sorry, but I have said it before and will say it again. - if you decide to take the Two Year O-A Multi entry visa route - you might end up having to provide much more than just Bht 800K - this figure has not been increased for a long time - and those who are encouraged to put off applying for their first Extension of Stay may find themselves being asked to show they have much more.

I wouldn't bother with the O-A. I don't understand why people who got one are evangelical about it. In the not so long run, we are all in the same boat, needing to get one year extensions.

There are many different ways for the OP to deal with his current situation. He could fund his account and just wait it out before even approaching immigration to convert to an O. He could do visa runs. He could get tourist visas in Vientiane. He could get an O in Penang based on showing the funding account. There are many ways to skin this chicken. The goal is to have an O visa and the money banked for 3 months at time of application for the one year extension.

BTW, this 3 month rule is silly, isn't it?

Edited by Jingthing

Heres what i find confusing

I have always been advised that you can only get non-O visas in your country of birth/origin

But this, and other threads contradict this, saying you dont even need a tourist visa to upgrade from. A simple VOA will get you on the 1st rung of the ladder and you can just work your way up the food chain to non-O status in country

Penkoprodconfused.com

Heres what i find confusing

I have always been advised that you can only get non-O visas in your country of birth/origin

But this, and other threads contradict this, saying you dont even need a tourist visa to upgrade from. A simple VOA will get you on the 1st rung of the ladder and you can just work your way up the food chain to non-O status in country

Penkoprodconfused.com

The confusion is definitely understandable. However, you can indeed convert from a 30 day stamp to an O visa if you are qualified to also get the one year extension based on retirement, ALL IN THAILAND. If you don't already have the O visa, it is a two step process. If you arrive in Thailand with an O already, it is one step process. The O-A is a different kind of retirement O visa that is indeed only available from certain home countries. You do not need an O-A visa EVER to retire in Thailand, its an option only.

Edited by Jingthing

The confusion is definitely understandable. However, you can indeed convert from a 30 day stamp to an O visa if you are qualified to also get the one year extension based on retirement, ALL IN THAILAND. If you don't already have the O visa, it is a two step process. If you arrive in Thailand with an O already, it is one step process. The O-A is a different kind of retirement O visa that is indeed only available from certain home countries. You do not need an O-A visa EVER to retire in Thailand, its an option only.

Aren't there a few restrictions with a simple O visa, over the O-A though?

One being the need to do visa runs every 3 months, as opposed to just reporting to local Immigration?

Also, isnt the O just a one entry deal, as opposed to be able to get a multi with the O-A?

The MAIN advantage i can see with the O is not having to provide a criminal check......GREAT for the crims, and those of "dubious character" they were supposed to have dealt with when they changed the visa rules in 2006 :o

Penkoprod

Aren't there a few restrictions with a simple O visa, over the O-A though?

One being the need to do visa runs every 3 months, as opposed to just reporting to local Immigration?

Also, isnt the O just a one entry deal, as opposed to be able to get a multi with the O-A?

The MAIN advantage i can see with the O is not having to provide a criminal check......GREAT for the crims, and those of "dubious character" they were supposed to have dealt with when they changed the visa rules in 2006 :o

Penkoprod

You need the O Visa to apply for a years extension.

Once you get the extension there is no more Visa Runs. Just report to Immigration every 90 days. The same as you would if you were here on a O-A Visa.

I am older and even more confused, but I have a question for you. What process did you use to deposit the 800000 Baht in your account?. I mean was it a direct deposit, wire transfer from the U.S. or what? If a wire transfer what did you have to do to set up and arrange the transfer from your bank to the Thai bank? I want to do the same thing in November. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

tutone, again there are many ways to skin a chicken. SWIFT wire transfer is the most common method to wire your money from the US. In fact, immigration may demand to see evidence that the money was wired from abroad, and it should be wired in DOLLARS or other foreign currency, NOT baht.

In my case, I opened a Thai bank account on an earlier trip and put in 10K baht in cash. Then, back in the US, I went directly into my US bank branch and effected the initial wire over 800K baht. At the same time I set up MULTIPLE wire agreements with different US banks, so that I could easily initiate wires in future FROM Thailand without having to be IN Thailand. Each US bank has their own policies for this and they can change on you. For example etrade used to have online SWIFT transfers from their brokerage accounts (linked to their bank accounts) but they just stopped this service without notice. Some US banks may also give you a headache if you tell them your primary address has change to be non-US. I am sure others have other experiences to share, but there is a start for you.

Some other points, Washington Mutual does not support ANY SWIFT transactions from overseas, you have to go to the US branch every time. Also, a number of US banks are probably going to go out of business soon, so you would be advised to open MULTIPLE US bank accounts while you are still in the US. Once you move abroad, it is going to MUCH HARDER to open a US account.

If this all sounds like a pain in the asss, yes, it is, but not as much as being caught unprepared in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Transferring funds from your US bank to your Thai bank account is simple and speedy through the SWIFT transfer method. All banks do not participate. My bank is Citibank, and they charge $30 dollars for each transfer, regardless of of the amount..

First you have to open an account in a Thai bank.....I use Bangkok Bank.

When you open the account, ask for their SWIFT address code. Bangkok Bank's code is BKKBTHBK, for example. Each bank has it's own code, (The bank, NOT the branch).

I bring up Citibank on my computer.....then click on transfers.....then click on transfers to an outside account, (other than a Citi account. They will then ask you to request a secret code number, which will be sent to your email address, good for 24 hours only. It only takes a minutee or so, so go to your email box and retrieve the secret code number. Then go back to the transfer page at Citibank and enter that code in the space provided. (It's pretty obvious). This will give you a secure site by the bank. Follow the instructions and fill out the application. They will require the SWIFT CODE,..... your name,..... The name and address of your Thai bank. (BKK bank's address is: Bangkok Bank Public Co., Ltd...333 Silom Rd., Bangkok, Thailand, 105000). Your US account number, (where the transfer originates from)..... Your Thai Bank account number, (where the transfer is made to)......and last but not least, the amount, in dollars, of the transfer. You want to check the box that designates that the transfer is made in US Dollars.....NOT Thai baht. The time it takes to get the transfer.....? In my case, if I make the transfer today, the money will be in my BKK bank account tomorrow, in Thai baht at the then current "TT" exchange rate for that day, which is the best rate you can get, with no further deduction, or charge, unless it's a holiday or a week-end. Just remember, it's yesterday in the US, and 14 hours behind us. I've been doing this for three years now, and without a hitch. Citibank then deducts $30 from your account, in addition to the transfer amount.

After you've done it once, it's simple and only takes ten minutes or less. Don't forget to copy the confirmation number, or, if you have a printer, print it out. I hope my explanation was not confusing. Good luck.