Meteorological Dept Warns Of More Rains, Floods In Coming Days

george

25 provinces on high alert

Meteorological Dept warns of more rains, floods in coming days

Khao Yai National Park in Prachin Buri yesterday stopped people from going to waterfalls or forest trekking for fear of landslides triggered by downpours.

Park chief Narong Mahannop said heavy rains and flooding in much of the park had forced it to issue the warning.

Meanwhile, Ayutthaya declared all districts flood risks as water in the Rama VI Dam continued to rise.

In Ban Mor, Saraburi, a girl is missing, while two boys were rescued from torrents in a canal.

In Wang Thong, Phitsanulok, 100 millimetres of rain flooded buildings, including a women's prison.

Residents of Noen Maprang evacuated to a local temple, fearing a recurrence of 2007 flooding.

Heavy downpours in Lop Buri caused floods that affected 23,500 families in Muang, Khok Charoen, Chai Badan, Nong Muang, Ban Mi and Sa Bot districts. They have been declared disaster zones.

Some 3,000 houses in Ban Mi were submerged. Irrigation workers have delivered 20 pumps to help drain floodwaters.

The floods might also force Muang district schools to close tomorrow.

Forest floods from the Khao Khor range hit some 200 homes in Phetchabun's Muang district. A 700-metre stretch of Highway 21 was impassable.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, residents of some 200 flood-hit homes in Muang district were still waiting for food and drinking water.

The Loei River is about to break its banks and riverside villages are on 24-hour alert.

The Meteorological Department warned of more rains and flooding in the next two days over most of the country.

It said Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phetchabun, Loei, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Lop Buri, Sara Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Chanthaburi and Trat were at particular risk.

-- The Nation 2008-09-14

It said Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phetchabun, Loei, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Lop Buri, Sara Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Prachin Buri, Chanthaburi and Trat were at particular risk.

Just spoke with my girl at the house. She tells me that it is raining like crazy and the main roads from western Phetchabun province going to Phichit and Phitsanulok are flooded and impassable in spots. Not sure if this includes the main highways or not, but certainly the main access roads. No word of flooding in the village as yet.

I've been remiss by not reading thru this thread. However, as with each wet (and dry) season - when in the midst of it, it often seems the worst ever. I fall for that too. This year, the rains were sometimes so intense and sustained here (northernmost Thailand), that I thought for sure this would be a record setting year.

However, I went yesterday to a cave temple which sits alongside the major river here (Mae Kok), and the water was over 2 meters below the level it was a few years ago at this time of year.

I keep an eye on the weather--force of habit from growing up where weather could get really ugly. Sometimes the rains give me a scare since it does seem like we will surely get washed away, but I guess most of the country is built for it.

Sad for those folks suffering through unexpectedly bad weather, however.