Via Vai Restaurant Review

Furbie

I tried Via Vai recently and I thought I would share my experiences with everyone.

First, the restaurant is very conveniently located on Sukhumvit Soi 8 – enter the soi and it is on your left, just a little past Soi 8 Pub. The restaurant is very tastefully decorated, straddling the line between a good place to bring a date or hold a business dinner.

The service was good, no issues with any of the staff, and everything we ordered was prepared and delivered correctly.

Price was on the expensive side. Figure anywhere from 200-500 baht for an appetizer, and 250-500+ for an entrée. Beer and drinks were similarly on the expensive side, but not when compared to similar restaurants.

The food selection was good, lots of options in pasta, meat and pizza categories.

Taste. The ravioli was excellent, the best I have had in Bangkok. The calzone was tasty but nothing to rave about – it was not what I would call brimming with filling either, in fact, it looked a little deflated.

Additional points – they are to be commended for providing bread, decent grated cheese and a full selection of condiments – olive oil, balsamic, oregano, crushed red pepper, etc. A very nice touch.

There was a good desert and coffee menu, but we did not partake.

Overall, it was a good dining experience. If others have eaten there, especially tried the pizza, please feel free to add your thoughts.

I likewise have many good things to say about this Italian food eatery on Soi 8....

I'd also add, they have free local (and I believe that means Nana to Asok areas) delivery... 02-253-1200. And they were offering, on their menu, a free large bottle of soft drink with any delivery order over 500 baht, though you have to ask.

I'd only disagree about their prices... I'm sitting at home looking at their takeout menu now...and all their pastas range from 210 to 350 baht tops. Their pizzas range from 210 to 410 tops, with most not exceeding 320. They do have meat and fish dishes that are in the 400 to 600 baht range.

As my post linked above remarks, they served a basil pasta dish there that was among the best I can remember every eating anywhere. Overall, in addition to good food, the interior of the restaurant, setting and service make it a great "date" destination.

I tried Via Vai recently and I thought I would share my experiences with everyone.

Overall, it was a good dining experience. If others have eaten there, especially tried the pizza, please feel free to add your thoughts.

I agree entirely, Via Vai is one of my preferred Italian restaurants in Bangkok (along with Zanotti and Basilico). Their pizzas are excellent as well as their seafood soup (baked inside pizza bread).

• 3 weeks later...

I popped by Via Vai (on Suk Soi 8) today on my way home...to pick up a current copy of their delivery menu...since the one I had at home was some months old...

And in looking at the new version, I was surprised to see a new entry....

They are now offering a 290 baht set lunch every day from noon to 2:30 p.m. that is described as follows:

"Your choice of a pasta, meat, pizza or fish item, plus an all-you-can-eat salad bar, and soup, bruschetta, fresh fruit and coffee."

I haven't tried it yet, since I just got the new menu today, but intend to soon.

It's a particularly nice feature because sometimes around here, finding fresh salad vegetables on offer at restaurants can be a bit of a chore... As the doc says, never can eat too many veggies....

I'll give the lunch a try...and report back here....

post-53787-1223203050_thumb.jpg

PS - Also interesting to see...compared to their prior menu, their pasta prices have gone up 10 baht or so, and same for some other menu items. But most of their pizza prices have remained constant, despite what I gather has been increasing milk/cheese prices.

I popped by Via Vai (on Suk Soi 8) today on my way home...to pick up a current copy of their delivery menu...since the one I had at home was some months old...

And in looking at the new version, I was surprised to see a new entry....

They are now offering a 290 baht set lunch every day from noon to 2:30 p.m. that is described as follows:

"Your choice of a pasta, meat, pizza or fish item, plus an all-you-can-eat salad bar, and soup, bruschetta, fresh fruit and coffee."

I haven't tried it yet, since I just got the new menu today, but intend to soon.

It's a particularly nice feature because sometimes around here, finding fresh salad vegetables on offer at restaurants can be a bit of a chore... As the doc says, never can eat too many veggies....

I'll give the lunch a try...and report back here....

post-53787-1223203050_thumb.jpg

PS - Also interesting to see...compared to their prior menu, their pasta prices have gone up 10 baht or so, and same for some other menu items. But most of their pizza prices have remained constant, despite what I gather has been increasing milk/cheese prices.

A collegue and I tried their lunch special today at 290 baht. Overall I give the experience a B+.

To break it down further....

Salad Bar is fairly basic in terms of choice but taste is fine. No cheese plate / fine parma hams to be found but at this price point wasn't really expecting a huge variety of FINE canapes. They did have some cheese/tomato combinations which were good. Not a salad bar to get full on by any means, a nice starter which is was it was meant for.

Soup: quite good, I had the ministrone (clear style) while my friend had the pumpkin which he commented tasted very good as well.

Main: I ordered Carbonara spag / friend had pork escalope. Both were excellent if not huge. A proper Italian Chef that doesn't over cook the pasta!!! Bravo Bravo

Only down side is the service is a bit lacking. No coffee or fruit was offered (nor did we ask) once we were done our mains. Oh and just to point out we were the only two customers in the restaurant but that being said, the other places we passed on Soi 8 today seemed dead as well.

Total bill for two was 782 baht, as I had the San Benidito sparkly water at 100 baht and my mate had ordinary nam plao.

I would go back.

Went there for dinner last night with the Mrs.

Ordered two starters bruchetta (very good, but could use a little more garlic IMO) and another one of mixed canape with smoke salmon, parma ham, anchovies with the trimmings on tops of a lightly toasted cheese bread pieces. Excellent.

Then we ordered two pasta dishes, Mrs had the ravioli with ricotta and smoked scamorza (sp) cheese inside topped with a red sauce. Very rich and aroi.

I had the pesto, sundried tomato and macadamia fusilli which was cooked to perfection (al dente!!!) yet not as inspiring as the ravioli but still quite good. Perhaps I wasn't overwhelmed because I cook alot of pesto at home and the taste is very similar (perhaps that means I am a good cook as well :o )

The Mrs had a banana shake (sorry, she is Thai) while I settled for a half litre of San Benedito sparkly water.

Total price was 1320 baht.

The service was good, the restaurant was 1/3 full early in the evening. I will try the pizza next time but then again they have a big menu which I would like to fully explore so it may have to wait.

PS. I find it strange that they have a TV in the middle of the dining room which IMO is fine for a pub but not for a fine-ish restaurant. Who wants to watch CNN while enjoying such good food, at least the volume was turned down.

• 7 months later...

For good pizza and pasta lovers, Via Vai Restaurant in Sukhumvit Soi 8, just a short walk from Nana BTS, is having a great set of 7-day-a-week lunch specials, as well as Tuesday and Wednesday night dinner specials.

I had the lunch special today, which for 199 baht plus tax gave me my choice of any regular size pizza or pasta dish along with an all-you-can-eat salad bar that was well stocked with a variety of Italian antipasti along with the salad basics. I added a bottle of water and ice, which brought my bill to 269 baht, rounded off to 300 baht with the tip.

For other options on their lunch specials (which are offered every day from noon to 2:30 pm), they're offering the all-you-can-eat salad bar only for 150 baht+, or the combination of pizza or pasta, salad bar, choice of fish or meat entree and coffee or expresso for 300 baht plus tax.

For dinners on Tuesday and Wednesday night starting at 6 pm, they're offering your choice of their pizzas or pasta dishes solo for 180 baht plus tax, which depending on the pizza you order could be as much as 50 percent off the regular menu price.

I've had and liked their pizzas and pastas before. And I must say, the freshly cooked spicy salami pizza I had today for their lunch special was no different or smaller than their regular menu pizzas. So I consider these to be a good deal.

See this post in another thread for photos of their menu choices and offerings.

• 1 month later...

Ditto what JFC said above.

It's a very comfy sitting area.

I think Limoncello is just a tad better but more expensive. And, getting a table at Limoncello for dinner (especially on the weekends) is a pain the butt--it's very popular with hi-so/wannabe hi-so Thai. Packed very tight, Euro style.

The lunch special at Vai Vai is one of the best in BK. Very nice salad bar included.

Limoncello, just across Sukhumvit Road on a side soi to Soi 11, does good pizza as well...

As Macx said, the seating inside is quite close quarters. And as I recall, their menu is more pizza centric, whereas Via Via in addition to their pizzas, I believe, has a broader array of non-pizza entrees....such as pastas, meats, fish and such.

In contrast, the seating inside Via Vai is quite spacious, relaxed and comfortable, easy to have a romantic dinner without the couple next-door being in your lap. Via Vai's large covered outdoor patio is also quite nice.

I've yet to see/hear of Limoncello offering any kind of specials comparable to those at Via Vai (maybe they don't need to because of the "trendy" factor)... If they did, I'd probably be a return patron. But as it is, I find myself without any compelling reason to pass Via Vai in favor of anywhere else nearby.

PS. I find it strange that they have a TV in the middle of the dining room which IMO is fine for a pub but not for a fine-ish restaurant......

Sheesh! Far too often I have seen this TV phenomenon in otherwise good Bangkok restaurants. It completely ruins the atmosphere. I'm convinced it's for the benefit of the staff, not the patrons.

• 3 weeks later...

Had today a very enjoyable Lunch at Via Vai.

They offer three Lunch options.

1. Saladbar ,THB 150.- + , all you can eat.

the selection is OK, food is well presented.

2. Saladbar ( all you can eat ) and 1 pasta or pizza , THB 199 +.

3. Saladbar ( all you can eat ) , choice of Meat/Fish Dish and Coffee or Tea , THB 290.- +.

Staff was very friendly , food very good.

Good value for money.