Watch Out For This Pick Pocket Thief!

TomBrown

Quick update; Took the photos to the Police Station, partner handed them in along with incident report number and a description based on what I had said in the original post. The police man just said thanks for the photos. Well I suspected as much. Seems like not much else can be done. At least I managed to get a couple of photos that can alert fellow farang here.

Cheers everyone and take care.

Tom.

What do you want? That the police mount up in a couple of cruisers and roll out with cameras while inviting you along for your personal satisfaction? The cops have your information on file and pound to a penny they probably already have this gang in their sights. Why do we think that other victims have not already filed complaints and assume the vast majority of Thais will roll over after being a victim of personal crime or violence? Police work anywhere isn't about putting out the first fire that comes along and despite their alleged less than stellar record as reported in the press, I am sure they will do a lot more now that you have filed a detailed complaint. The cops here deserve a bit more credit than is afforded them IMHO. Witness the bank employee who robbed his former employees ATM up country and high-tailed it to Pattaya with a buddy to live the high life. He was caught by tracking his cellphone use; the sort of sleuthing that is common enough in the western world but a technique that some here would probably consider as too 'high tech' for the local BIB. They aint dumb cops that's for sure.

I had my car broken into on a Houston parking lot and having witnessed the guys and their car, I managed to pass all the information to a passing police patrol car within minutes. He thanked me after entering the basic details in his laptop but reminded me to file a full report at the police station within 12 hours. I told him that the perps car was parked only 2 blocks away but he didn't race away with strobes and siren and I was somewhat upset that he seemed more intent on cruising away in the opposite direction. Three months later, my stolen laptop was returned to me after they had apparently busted the car burglars, tried and convicted them.

I do congratulate you and your partner for being civic minded enough to inconvenience yourselves to make a full report whereas most of the cynical and jaded here would have found it easier to put it down as another lesson in the school of hard knocks.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, in the latest edition of the Pattayamail, which came-out Friday SEP 19th,

this is a photo-story of three Thai women who were apprehended after they

attempted to pick-pocket a British man who got wise before they were able to get

away. I'll tell you, the photo of the one lady looks eerily similar to the ones given

by the OP? Can't find an online link so check a hard copy to see if that's her?

Here's the link, I found it. Does that not look like the same women in

the OP's post? It does to me. hopefully they're now off the street.

http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd8

Looks like the Baht Buses got to hot for them and they revetted to the old lady boy trick of "mob, molest & dip", nice to know there were many good Thai citizens who helped detain those women until the police arrived.

BB

On a related note, in April at about 2 am I was walking on 2nd heading south against traffic about to turn up soi 11 towards my hotel, hotel holiday. A young girl on a motorbike stopped and called out to me. While I was a bit tired looking I had not a single drink and was quite alert. While she parked the bike I just ignored her and kept walking. A few seconds later she had literally parked the bike and run back towards me and was hugging me and chatting at me and what not and I could feel her hands going over my pockets. I carry pocket change in my short pocket velcroed shut. Everything of value, which is not much is in my hip pack and double zippered. I grabbed her harm that had almost gotten into my shorts pocket and I gave her a yelling and threatened her with a police visit. She was stunned that I was actually awake and not a stumbling drunk at 2am. I just kept going on to my hotel.

Just a friendly warning that there are some people to watch out for. Don't wear jewelry. Don't carry much if you are out on the night. If you live there and have normal stuff to carry around, think the worse. I don't mean think the worse of the average Thai person. But do exercise due diligence. I am a big fan of a hip or fanny pack turned in front and not in back. 8 trips and haven't lost a thing yet, and that includes one or two ladyboy gropings!

sawasdee

On a related note, in April at about 2 am I was walking on 2nd heading south against traffic about to turn up soi 11 towards my hotel, hotel holiday. A young girl on a motorbike stopped and called out to me. While I was a bit tired looking I had not a single drink and was quite alert. While she parked the bike I just ignored her and kept walking. A few seconds later she had literally parked the bike and run back towards me and was hugging me and chatting at me and what not and I could feel her hands going over my pockets. I carry pocket change in my short pocket velcroed shut. Everything of value, which is not much is in my hip pack and double zippered. I grabbed her harm that had almost gotten into my shorts pocket and I gave her a yelling and threatened her with a police visit. She was stunned that I was actually awake and not a stumbling drunk at 2am. I just kept going on to my hotel.

Just a friendly warning that there are some people to watch out for. Don't wear jewelry. Don't carry much if you are out on the night. If you live there and have normal stuff to carry around, think the worse. I don't mean think the worse of the average Thai person. But do exercise due diligence. I am a big fan of a hip or fanny pack turned in front and not in back. 8 trips and haven't lost a thing yet, and that includes one or two ladyboy gropings!

sawasdee

Support your advise! For me, at that time the pockets normally are already empty or the money is yet invested. One have to be very cautious if anybody approaches you at that time of the day for no obvious reason. I usually ignore them, and they won't approach me too close, as I am a little bit bigg

Could anybody tell me what the telephone numbers are from the volunteer police and tourist police which I can call from abroad?

English speaking?

Had a problem myself a few days ago, but that was the day before I left for Korea for my work, so no time yet to report it.

There is video-footage from this person, but will be deleted after one week, and that is coming saturday.

I feel sure we "met" this gang of thieves on a baht bus in Pattaya Klang more than a year ago. We were all squashed up on the baht bus and they were creating distractions. Then I felt sure that someone was touching my backside but didn't do anything about it as there was no money in my back pockets anyway. Now I'm positive that the incident was an attempt at pickpocketing.

It's well worth warning people to be aware of this scam and to be careful.

• 3 weeks later...
... Well I suspected as much...

What do you want? That the police mount up in a couple of cruisers and roll out with cameras while inviting you along for your personal satisfaction?......

NanLaew; If only you had read it all in a non-criticising manor as an information update only as intended, but instead you read it with a 'glass half empty' attitude. My intent was just a follow on update, not criticism.

Here's the link, I found it. Does that not look like the same women in

the OP's post? It does to me. hopefully they're now off the street.

Well spotted cali4995, indeed it is the same woman in that photo (on the left) who picked my partner's purse.

Here's an updated link to the news article and photo;

http://www.pattayamail.com/790/news.shtml#hd8

Thanks,

Tom.

... Well I suspected as much...

What do you want? That the police mount up in a couple of cruisers and roll out with cameras while inviting you along for your personal satisfaction?......

NanLaew; If only you had read it all in a non-criticising manor as an information update only as intended, but instead you read it with a 'glass half empty' attitude. My intent was just a follow on update, not criticism.

Ok Tom, sorry that I took your post wrong. Good job on reporting it and following up. Here's hoping they have been lifted by Pattayas finest.

Anyone heard of these thieving buggers lately?

I suggest you approach a Foreign Police Volunteer with these pictures.

You can find some on Walking Street wearing black uniforms.

I believe they will be helpful and follow-up on this.

I suggest you ask them to organize a "sting" operation on a Baht Bus with you along to ID these SOB's.

They have the power of arrest and will do it --- knife or no knife

Just to clarify the police assistants on Walking street are not Foreign Police Volunteers. They are linked into Tourist Police. And yes they do have powers of arrest. The Foreign Police Volunters as in Soi 9 do not have powers of arrest but will do all they can to assist you. They are linked into The Royal Thai Police.

I used to live in View Talay and got a baht bus every day down into Pattaya. There was a gang like this who get n a bus, the more full the better. One has a baby, hoping that someone will get up to let the baby holder sit down, creating an opportunity. They have an accomplice on a motorbike at the bottom of Thappraya Road waiting to go the other way, back up the hill.

On more than one occasion I have warned other passengers in English to be careful and once even told the old witch she was a thief. My wife then had a go at her in Thai. They jumped off the bus and started cursing, not in Thai but maybe Khmer or Laos dialects (according to my wife).

Are they in league with the bus drivers ? Hard to say. They do pay but I would not be surprised.

In my opinion you must always always be on your guard when on a Baht bus, especially if it is jam packed. Be aware of anyone sitting next to you who has a coat or something like this over their arm. They use this to sneak their other arm through and into your pocket. Also be aware of any distractions they may have like a baby,or if one is pregnant, or look at that over there.

My advice is leave your wallet and most of your cash at home. When the money runs out its time to go home!

And yes the route from Jomtiem to Dolphin Roundabout is particularly hazardous. If you catch one in the act put your finger on the buzzer and keep it ringing the driver will stop, ask him to catch them then call the police. Be cautious one or more of them may have a knife.They do tend to be women. This doesn't mean you have to be a gentleman! If you are going to grab one hold both wrists and do not leg go until the police arrive.

Grab her and give her a hiding is my advise.

Maybe we all would like to do that but that's probably the worst advice you could ever give, one guy has allready mentioned that one of them pulled a knife on him, like everything else in this country we are 2nd class citizens you would probably be done for assualt despite the attempted robbery, I once had a bargirl in my mate's bar chase after me with a f****ng big knife when I threatened to tell another mate her Ozzie fiance she was marrying six weeks later that she was still shagging another farang, I managed to outrun her and called the police, six turned up I was told she just handed the police captain 1000 Bht and was told to go hide in her room before I got back to the bar, and when I did return one of the other policeman gave me a good tap on the ankle with his boot and slagged me off in Thai, it was so obvious to him that she must be the injured party as she was Thai, as has allredy been stated this gang are probably very well known to the police and the baht bus mafia but they just really don't give a s**t about us , let's face it they both rob tourists in their own way as well.

I got goosebumps reading this thread, as I, too, have seen the "alleged" pickpocketers. They were on a lightly loaded baht bus with me and the young girl was trying to play with my hands. I glared at her, and they got off shortly. I wouldn't have expected them to be carrying, much less trying to use, knives!

The silver lining is that my instincts didn't let me down, as I was somehow suspicious of the duo as they boarded.

There are many such gangs robbing on baht buses .Every pattaya resident should be aware of the danger by now ,but i feel sorry for tourists .

There is also a Thaiman with a southern dialect. He is specialized in stealing hand phones in offices and bars. He drive a pink Yahama Fino Motorbike

There are many such gangs robbing on baht buses .Every pattaya resident should be aware of the danger by now ,but i feel sorry for tourists .

I was on a couple of Baht taxis tonight and noticed pickpocket warning stickers that were displayed. At least some effort in warning tourists.

post-17683-1224702982_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1224702993_thumb.jpg

I was on a couple of Baht taxis tonight and noticed pickpocket warning stickers that were displayed. At least some effort in warning tourists.

Hi Tom,please take a look at the news clipping forum and confirm if the any of the lady's involved is one of the pick pocket's from this topic.Anyway good riddance of scum.

Hi Tom,please take a look at the news clipping forum and confirm if the any of the lady's involved is one of the pick pocket's from this topic.Anyway good riddance of scum.

I presume you are referring to; Three Baht Bus Pickpockets Detained By Danish Tourist.

It's hard to say from the pictures displayed as they are so small, but reading the news article on Pattaya One News online, the ages of these pickpockets don't match the ones reported in the Pattaya Mail article who are definitely the pickpockets we encountered.

I presume you are referring to; Three Baht Bus Pickpockets Detained By Danish Tourist.

It's hard to say from the pictures displayed as they are so small, but reading the news article on Pattaya One News online, the ages of these pickpockets don't match the ones reported in the Pattaya Mail article who are definitely the pickpockets we encountered.

Good to know.At least 3 more to go.

im amazed these three hung about knowing police were coming and they had drugs on them,doh.........they could have at least thrown the drugs away somehow and im sure the old boy couldnt have stopped them if they really wanted to go.as there thai they could have pushed him and turn it around saying he touched the young un or something.lucky the crims here havent a brain between them and fessed up as usual. anyway well done to the old boy and the b.i.b turning up but i suspect one was passing and was flagged down

Couple of months back i got on a bht bus and minutes later 4 girls (well 3 girls and 1 ladyboy) got on. The ladyboy sat next to me and one of the girls next to her while the other two more attractive girls sat opposite me. I suspect the 2 girls opposite act as a diversion while the ladyboy carries a big bag in front of her and chats to the girl next to her while trying to pick your pocket. I had witnessed them in action a week earlier after a failed attempt to pick someone else's pocket so i knew what to expect and just stared at the ladyboy and she eventually moved away after realising i knew what they were up to.

So just a heads up for if 4 girls (1 is a ladyboy but night not be apararent to all) get on thesame baht bus as you and position themselve in the manner posted above.

I had a similar group of three try it in September on a 2nd Road baht bus.

Two older ladies across and the young one sat far too close in a nearly full bus. Leaned into me as the baht bus came to a halt and felt her hand in my back pocket. There was a folded up package in the back pocket and by the time I got my hand down there it was partly pulled out. I just said "kamoy!" loudly and moved away from her. She bitched at me in thai and the three got off at the next stop.

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

I have been pickpoketed twice successfully.

Once in Bangkok. I was in the vicinity of Soi 4. It was late at night. I saw ahead of me a group of Lady Boys. They were trying to pick pocket another person as I quickly went past them. It was late at night. I did not want to go very far down the street. Which was Sukumvit on the other side of Nana entertainment Plaza. I did however, have to return the same way I had gone before. I figured they would likely still be there and try it on me. I had not had any alcohol at all. As I went past the same spot. A lady boy approached me and started with the groping. I pushed this creature back hard. I could have pushed harder but I did not want to knock them down and perhaps injure them. You would have thought that this action on my part would have given the message that an easier less physically responsive target would be a better bet. No! it did not. The creature came back at me again with the groping. I was only carrying a couple of hundred Baht. I only carried enough for a refreshment should I have wanted one. The creature managed to get the 200 Baht out of my pocket. I reached in my pocket and realized that it was gone. I said to the creature pick pocket! The creature put it's hands up as if to show that they were empty. At the same time the creature dropped the 2 100 baht notes on the ground. Remember that it was dark at the time. I however, saw it do this. I quickly scooped up the 2 100 Baht bills and put them in my pocket. I exclaimed to it "bitch"! and then quickly turned around and walked away.

Second time was on Soi 4 near the 7 Eleven store late at night. I had not been drinking. I was out to get some Milo cold chocolate milk. The Lady Boys approached me. I thought here we go again pick pockets. I covered the pocket where my money was firmly with my hand. They did the usual groping. I had unfortunately forgotten about my mobile telephone which I had in a holder on my belt. They took my phone. I did not realize this until later when I was in the Nana restaurant.

Third time.

The attempt.

I was in Jomtien. It was late at night. I had not been drinking any alcohol. I probably may have looked like I had been because I had walked all day long. I got on this Baht bus heading to Pattaya. These two Thai females got on the bus shortly afterwards. They got on from a place you would not have expected any one to especially at that time of night. I thought probably pick pockets. I put my hand obviously firmly over my wallet which was in my front pocket. They saw this. A short time later they ran the bell and got off the Baht bus. They got of in a place where their really is nothing but a field. This departure was after a very shoret ride.They seemed to be discussing something when they got off. I think the accomplice was asking why she did not make a try for the wallet.

Edited by philliphn

I was riding the baht bus on Wednesday evening about 6:30pm to go to dinner with friends in Jomtien. Four Lady boys got on the bus one sat very close to me to my right and had a bag on her lap, one other sat next to her, another on the standing next to me and the other across from and engaged in chit-chat apparently to distract me. I felt something funny going on and repeatedly push her away. Apparently it was reaching under the bag with it's right hand and going inside my lap pocket and unzipped my coin bag in the pocket and took some baht bills. I guess I could have been more aware of what was happening, I had not been drinking, I guess I simply didn't expect this to happen, but it did. Fortunately it only got my small bills not the large ones because I did manage to stop it and get off, it was only then that I discovered my loss. I didn't bother to tell the police, maybe I should have, but it wasn't a very large amount and I am writing this off as a learning experience.

The next day about 3:00pm I got on a baht bus on Beach Rd. at Royal Gardens Mall and near Walking street four Thai Women (didn't look like ladyboys) positioned themselves identically. The one next to me had the bag on the lap, she told me that I could sit closer to her, I could not believe this was happening again I simply got off the bus, paid the driver and walked.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice same on me!

This my very first post on this blog, unfortunately it is not a happy one :o . I am visiting friends in Pattaya and I have not been to Pattaya for a couple years. I traveled to Thailand many times and I am happily married to a Thai Lady from Udon Thani :D .

I certainly hope this can help others to be aware of this apparent epidemic of thieves on the baht buse s. In all the years of traveling in Thailand including Pattaya I have never had one problem until now. Pattaya is not the same for me anymore... :D

A Fool never learns from their misstakes.

A Smart man learns from his misstakes.

A Wise man learns from other's misstakes!

I am in Pattaya now. The news on TV just showed the three girls and the Danish guy.

I just read the story on Pattaya Daily News Website. Although they denied trying to rob the guy, they were in possession of marajuana and yabba dabba doo's, believed to have been robbed from earlier victims.