Importing 2nd Hand Car

rubik101

I wonder if anyone can help?

I am moving to LOS in Feb 2009. I have a perfectly serviceable Toyota Celica, 1994. I would like to keep it and ship it to Thailand (cost circa £1250 for a 20' container)

My question is this; as the car is of almost no value and well over 10 years old, does anyone have any idea how much import duty/excise tax I will have to pay to bring it in and how much is the registration fee?

Many thanks to you if you can help.

Example Calculation of Taxes and Duties

The following example shows a breakdown of the liable taxes and duties assessed on the vehicles less than 2400 c.c. cylinder capacity with a CIF value of 1,000,000 Baht.

CIF value of the imported vehicle and applicable taxes and duties are as follows:

CIF value of the import = 1,000,000 Baht

Import duty = 80 %

Excise tax = 35 %

Interior tax = 10 % of excise tax

VAT = 7 %

The total import duties and taxes imposed on this import are calculated as follows:

1. Import duty = (CIF value * Rate of import duty)

= (1,000,000 * )

= 800,000 Baht

2. Excise tax = (CIF value + import duty) * {Rate of excise tax/1-(1.1 * Rate of excise tax)}

= (1,000,000+800,000) * {0.35/1-(1.1*0.35)}

= 1,800,000 * 0.5691057

= 1,024,390.20 Baht

3. Interior tax = Excise tax * Rate of interior tax

= 1,024,390.20 * 0.1

= 102,439.02 Baht

4. Base VAT = (CIF value+ Import duty+ Excise tax + Interior tax)

= (1,000,000 + 800,000 + 1,024,390.20 + 102,439.02)

= 2,926,829.20 Baht

5. VAT = Base VAT * VAT Rate

= 2,926,829.20 *0.07

= 204,878.04 Baht

Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht or 213.17%

Example Calculation of Taxes and Duties

The following example shows a breakdown of the liable taxes and duties assessed on the vehicles less than 2400 c.c. cylinder capacity with a CIF value of 1,000,000 Baht.

CIF value of the imported vehicle and applicable taxes and duties are as follows:

CIF value of the import = 1,000,000 Baht

Import duty = 80 %

Excise tax = 35 %

Interior tax = 10 % of excise tax

VAT = 7 %

The total import duties and taxes imposed on this import are calculated as follows:

1. Import duty = (CIF value * Rate of import duty)

= (1,000,000 * )

= 800,000 Baht

2. Excise tax = (CIF value + import duty) * {Rate of excise tax/1-(1.1 * Rate of excise tax)}

= (1,000,000+800,000) * {0.35/1-(1.1*0.35)}

= 1,800,000 * 0.5691057

= 1,024,390.20 Baht

3. Interior tax = Excise tax * Rate of interior tax

= 1,024,390.20 * 0.1

= 102,439.02 Baht

4. Base VAT = (CIF value+ Import duty+ Excise tax + Interior tax)

= (1,000,000 + 800,000 + 1,024,390.20 + 102,439.02)

= 2,926,829.20 Baht

5. VAT = Base VAT * VAT Rate

= 2,926,829.20 *0.07

= 204,878.04 Baht

Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht or 213.17%

Thank you very much! That is what I call contributing comment unlike member in previous post.

These rules apply for motorcycle importation too?

I have seen the formula for calculating the total tax due.

My question was posted because my car is virtually worthless and over 14 years old.

I have not been able to calculate the tax due on something that is worthless!

I just wondered if there is some other method the authorities will use when I arrive on the dock with my worthless old car.

I will write to the Customs wallah and see if I can get some info from him.

These rules apply for motorcycle importation too?

For moto is different - much cheaper.

My question was posted because my car is virtually worthless and over 14 years old

There is 70% discount for 10 years old car.

Up to 10 years is according to a condition of vehicle:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

Edited by Grant

It might be worthless in your home country, but not necessarily here. I'm sure these taxes take into account what the car would be worth in Thailand. Take the mini for example. The original model can cost over 800000 baht in a car yeard here! So customs would consider that value, not the 400 quid you paid in the UK for it. Like others said the topic has been covered, and the opinion is to sell it and but something here.

Didn't they create a "BLACK HOLE" last week in Europe , if so can the moderators please direct all inquiries 'I want info on importing my car/m/bike ' straight into it . PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

What you think, why we have here a boring world of Vioses & Jazzes? There is no way to import any cars. They want that peaple buy all this Vioses and Jazzes they produce overhere. Similar like in the former DDR. Everybody drove a Trabant or a Moskwitch.

Didn't they create a "BLACK HOLE" last week in Europe , if so can the moderators please direct all inquiries 'I want info on importing my car/m/bike ' straight into it . PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

What you think, why we have here a boring world of Vioses & Jazzes? There is no way to import any cars. They want that peaple buy all this Vioses and Jazzes they produce overhere. Similar like in the former DDR. Everybody drove a Trabant or a Moskwitch.

I don't think anything can't get my head around this reply? perhaps you can enlighten us(I presume from the grammer your ex DDR?)

It is illegal to import a used car into Thailand period.

Your car will be impounded and auctioned off at the customs warehouse.

You will need a permit to import your car. Proof of residence, visa, etc.

You only have a few options.

1) Import a new car.

2) Bring it in pieces CKD or SKD and declare them as spare parts.

However the hassle and taxes won't be worth it.

• 2 months later...
Many thanks................please close the thread, Mods.

This subject may have been 'done to death' but there is a complete lack of credible information. Just a lot of FUD!

There are very few examples of people actually having been through the process.

Looks like the only place to get the information on this is from customs themselves (as rubik101 probably did).

The key things here are:

- What price is the discount calculated on? The price on the proof of purchase? or on new price?

- Is the price taken from Parkers, What Car? etc, as stated on the website, or is another measure taken?

As there are not a lot of secondhand imported cars around, I can believe that it is not easy/prone to complications, but there must have been more people who have gone through the process, rather than just passing on rumours they have heard.

I have an 8 year old Honda Accord that I would not mind importing. My calculations suggest it would still be cheaper for me to import it than to buy an equivalent secondhand one here, though if I take into account the money I would get from selling in the uk, it would be marginal (I might save 50k baht)

If there is a 67% discount on the price I paid for the CIF value, then it would definitely be worth it.

Looks like the only way I am likely to find out is to just do it and see what happens....

Take a look at this saga:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Importing-Car-Uk-t15900.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Car-Import-Regs-t17604.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Car-Import-Update-t23946.html

The OP from the above threads (tuktukmike) is still around according to his profile (Last Seen: 2008-12-13 21:54:57) but doesn't seem to have posted for over a year :o

Edited by Crossy

It may well have no value where you are however in thailand where a 96 chrysler neon ( uk value 15000 baht ) makes ( well are on dealer sites for ) 200.000baht ..ill bet your car is valued locally at 300.000, add 200 per cent to that and you have your import taxes, sell your car locally or risk going mad, that is the usual outcome of trying to import a car to thailand,.ps, there is a mitsubishi gto 3000 at the end of my road for sale, its a 1000 pound car in the uk, here 1.1 million baht,, ! ,.

Edited by imaneggspurt

Many thanks................please close the thread, Mods.

This subject may have been 'done to death' but there is a complete lack of credible information. Just a lot of FUD!

There are very few examples of people actually having been through the process.

Looks like the only place to get the information on this is from customs themselves (as rubik101 probably did).

The key things here are:

- What price is the discount calculated on? The price on the proof of purchase? or on new price?

- Is the price taken from Parkers, What Car? etc, as stated on the website, or is another measure taken?

As there are not a lot of secondhand imported cars around, I can believe that it is not easy/prone to complications, but there must have been more people who have gone through the process, rather than just passing on rumours they have heard.

I have an 8 year old Honda Accord that I would not mind importing. My calculations suggest it would still be cheaper for me to import it than to buy an equivalent secondhand one here, though if I take into account the money I would get from selling in the uk, it would be marginal (I might save 50k baht)

If there is a 67% discount on the price I paid for the CIF value, then it would definitely be worth it.

Looks like the only way I am likely to find out is to just do it and see what happens....

You are taxed on local price, not value at origin, this applies to all sorts of imported goods,, i imported a set of wheels form the us, price paid ( genuinely ) $400, taxes paid, 15000 baht,.they took 2 weeks to find out what car they were for then taxed me on new local price,.( plus tax on the shipping )

Just for amusement, the value of your worthless car will be in the region of 500,000 Baht, as you ar prepared to import it - it must be very special and probably 'worth' more so say 800,000 Baht through the eyes of Thai customs. So the guideline 'rules' suggest 200% import tax, 1.6 million plus fees, tests and registration etc. Say another 100,000 Baht or more. This all takes time during which your vehicle will be sitting in the customs bond warehouse incuring a 150 Baht a day 'storage & security' fee - I know of one person that brought out an old car from Europe and had to pay 25,000 in parking fees alone.

You need to have very deep pockets and love your worthless car very much to pay to bring it here.

I have seen the formula for calculating the total tax due.

My question was posted because my car is virtually worthless and over 14 years old.

I have not been able to calculate the tax due on something that is worthless!

I just wondered if there is some other method the authorities will use when I arrive on the dock with my worthless old car.

I will write to the Customs wallah and see if I can get some info from him.

Unfortunately age does not weary them when calculating "Valuation in Thailand" it is an opporetunity fore someone to make money and the price can/will increase depending upon their liking for the vehicle and your likerlihood of paying - do a search - do all your planning - and then decide to leave it at home and look around fore something heree in "T" otherwise you will go threu the heartache and still not achieve having your rocket here inb Thailand - Remembering even if you werre to get it out of customs then you are at trhe mercy of registering the beast.

Two things about thius great country:

1. The best way to become a millionaire is to start out as a multi millionaire.

2. You can NOT use somebody elses experience as a test case due a different Somchai may be processing your particular case or he may not be in a really good mood on the day he processes your case hence expect a different outcome.

You mention writing to the Customs Wallah - please oh please do not expect a response - just the old "long wait".

Saying all this if you decide to go ahead - we wish you all the best as miracles do occur but I think the quota may be full for this particular century. :o