The Northern Soap Opera

Jockstar

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOKS WANT KEVIN KEEGAN

South Africans will bring back Messiah and Shearer

SHEAR MAGIC - that's what prospective new Newcastle owners want from Alan Shearer

By MARTIN HARDY, 27/09/2008

A CONSORTIUM of South African businessmen has put together a £350million deal to buy Newcastle.

The British-based tycoons, who plan to keep their identities secret until they have held formal talks with Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer, have earned fortunes from rescuing and rejuvenating household brands around the world.

The five-man consortium has amassed the wealth to rid Toon fans of owner Mike Ashley and transform a club fighting for its life.

Sport of the World understands they made a formal approach to Keegan late on Friday evening and the former Magpies boss is the key to the group taking control.

A spokesman said: “Kevin is integral to our plans. We want Kevin to be fully committed to the team and we hope to find a role for Alan Shearer.

“We are not personalities. We like to be in the background, we need to be in the background. We want the results to be the personality. We don’t want stardom.

Global

“The existing management structure has not worked so we’ll pay Mike Ashley what it takes to get rid of him.

“He has to get out. He’s lost the love of the fans.

“We are very excited. Newcastle is a global English icon and it needs to be managed as a global brand, not a hobby.

“The level of expertise we have is in discovering the real problem preventing success. We want to find the root problem and turn the club around. We will give the Newcastle fans what they want.”

Keegan, whose departure early this month has led to the club’s implosion, will be offered a chance to become a significant shareholder in the new structure.

That will appeal to Keegan who has lost money through his Soccer Circus venture and is locked in a compensation battle with Ashley.

Protest

Keegan has been cautious about any involvement with a consortium for fear of getting his fingers burned.

However, the South African consortium, which has a combined fortune in excess of £1billion, has outlined its seriousness by detailing its plans in a comprehensive brochure.

The businessmen will clear out the unpopular management structure of Derek Llambias, Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez that led to Keegan’s exit and saw Toon fans take to the streets in protest.

Tyneside legend Shearer will also be offered a significant role at the club with the group confident the former striker CAN be tempted to work alongside Keegan.

The consortium, which has called itself the New Newcastle United, will offer Ashley the £350m to sell up, with £150m as a down-payment and the remaining £200m staggered over a year.

Diligence

That would still lead to the hugely-unpopular Ashley leaving Tyneside with a £100m profit from his controversial 18-month reign.

The outline of the South Africans’ plans led Ashley to tell interim boss Joe Kinnear that Keegan would be returning.

Kinnear has been told he will remain in charge until the end of October, by which time Ashley expects the sale to be concluded.

That timescale suits the South Africans, who have already drawn up legal papers and are ready to undertake due diligence as soon as they are given the go-ahead.

Streetwise... But Newcastle won't find new stars in Costco

By Chris Wheeler

Last updated at 9:39 PM on 29th September 2008

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...ars-Costco.html

They say everything is going down the pan at Newcastle but at least Dennis Wise is prepared.

The club’s executive director (football) has gone to ground this month since Kevin Keegan’s shock departure. But we tracked him down to Costco near Watford, of all places, with a trolley-load of toilet rolls.

Owner Mike Ashley, with a sale of the club imminent, is heading for a bit of cash and carry himself.

Enlarge article-0-02D6F3FD00000578-518_468x363.jpg Rolling in it: Dennis Wise and a companion exit Costco in Watford

Kinnear on his own as players get day off

By Soccernet staff

Updated: September 30, 2008, 11:26 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

The debacle at Newcastle United shows no sign of coming to an end as Joe Kinnear found an empty training ground on his first official day as interim manager.

The former Wimbledon, Luton Town and Nottingham Forest boss was expected to begin work on reviving the team's fortunes after five consecutive defeats, but arrived on Monday to discover the squad had been given the day off.

It is the latest in a catalogue of stunning developments on Tyneside as the club lurches from one disaster to another.

Kinnear himself experienced it first hand the moment he arrived in Newcastle when no club official met him at the airport meaning he had to pay for a cab to take him to St James' Park.

And then it transpired that the 61-year-old has a two-match touchline ban from his time at Forest four years ago for calling a referee 'Coco the Clown' which means he will not be able to take his place on the bench until October 20 - with his contract expiring on October 31.

Kinnear: I may be around for longer

By Soccernet staff

Updated: October 2, 2008, 11:35 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Newcastle interim boss Joe Kinnear believes owner Mike Ashley is in talks with eight prospective buyers for the club.

And as efforts continue to push through a sale, Kinnear, initially on a six-week contract at St James' Park, has hinted he could be at the helm for a little longer than first thought. Kinnear amitted he had little chance of his role becoming permament. He said: "I don't think so, to be honest, because I know for a fact Mike is talking to eight consortiums.

"I don't know the outcome of those. I haven't got a time-scale on it, so I don't really know what the outcome is.

"But I know he is in talks with at least eight consortiums because he has told me that himself.

"Who they are, what they are, when it will happen, there is no time-scale on it.

"I am contracted for eight games, but I assume that should due diligence and the deals go on a little bit longer, it may run into 10 or 12 games."

It is understood prospectuses of sale - an official document detailing the club's current financial position - have been sent out to seven interested parties with consortia from Nigeria and South Africa among the most prominent.

However, the potential purchasers have all had to sign a confidentiality clause to prevent those figures being made public.

The Nigerian group has made no secret of its interest, while the South Africans had kept their own counsel until a report named and quoted Jonathan Cleland, a South African-raised Scot, as its head.

this gets better. transcript below of kinnear's first press conference. wonderful.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oc...d.premierleague

'I have had a million pages of crap written about me. I'm ridiculed for no reason. I'm defenceless'

* The Guardian,

* Friday October 3 2008

* Article history

Joe Kinnear

Joe Kinnear, Newcastle's temporary manager, has already fallen foul of the press. Photograph: Clive Rose/Getty Images

The following is an edited transcript of Newcastle interim manager Joe Kinnear's first official press conference yesterday

JK Which one is Simon Bird [Daily Mirror's north-east football writer]?

SB Me.

JK You're a cun_t.

SB Thank you.

JK Which one is Hickman [Niall, football writer for the Express]? You are out of order. Absolutely fuc_king out of order. If you do it again, I am telling you you can fuc_k off and go to another ground. I will not come and stand for that fuc_king crap. No fuc_king way, lies. fuc_k, you're saying I turned up and they [Newcastle's players] fuc_ked off.

SB No Joe, have you read it, it doesn't actually say that. Have you read it?

JK I've fuc_king read it, I've read it.

SB It doesn't say that. Have you read it?

JK You are trying to fuc_king undermine my position already.

SB Have you read it, it doesn't say that. I knew you knew they were having a day off.

JK fuc_k off. fuc_k off. It's your last fuc_king chance.

SB You read the copy? It doesn't say that you didn't know.

JK What about the headline, you think that's a good headline?

SB I didn't write the headline, you read the copy.

JK You are negative bastards, the pair of you.

SB So if I get a new job next week would I take the first day off? No I wouldn't. If I get a new job should I call my boss and tell him I am taking the first day off?

JK It is none of your fuc_king business. What the fuc_k are you going to do? You ain't got the balls to be a fuc_king manager. fuc_king day off. Do I want your opinion. Do I have to listen to you?

SB No, you can listen to who you want.

JK I had a 24-hour meeting with the entire staff.

SB Joe, you are only here six weeks, you could have done that on Sunday, or Saturday night.

JK No, no, no. I didn't want to do it. I had some other things to do.

SB What? More important things?

JK What are you? My personal secretary? fuc_k off.

SB You could have done the meeting Saturday night or Sunday. You could have had them watching videos, you could have organised them.

JK I was meeting the fuc_king chairman the owner, everyone else. Talking about things.

SB It is a valid point that was made in there. A valid point.

JK I can't trust any of you.

Niall Hickman Joe, no one could believe that on your first day at your new club, the first-team players were not in. No one could believe it in town. Your first day in the office.

JK My first day was with the coaches. I made the decision that I wanted to get as much information out of them.

NH But why Monday, no one could believe it?

JK I'm not going to tell you anything. I don't understand where you are coming from. You are delighted that Newcastle are getting beat and are in the state they are? Delighted, are you?

NH Certainly not. No one wants to see them get beaten, why would we?

JK I have done it before. It is going to my fuc_king lawyers. So are about three others. If they can find something in it that is a court case it is going to court. I am not fuc_king about. I don't talk to fuc_king anybody. It is raking up stories. You are fuc_king so fuc_king slimy you are raking up players that I got rid of. Players that I had fallen out with. You are not asking Robbie Earle, because he is sensible. You are not asking Warren Barton? No. Because he is fuc_king sensible. Anyone who had played for me for 10 years at any level ... [but] you will find some cun_t that ...

Other journalist How long is your contract for Joe?

JK None of your business.

SB Well it is actually, because we cover the club. The club say you are here to the end of October, then you say six to eight games which would take it to the end of November. We are trying to clarify these issues. We are getting no straight answers from anyone. How long are you here for. It is a dead simple question. And you don't know ...

JK I was told the length of contract. Then I was told that possibly the club could be sold in that time. That is as far as I know. That's it finished. I don't know anything else. But I have been ridiculed. He's trying to fuc_king hide, he's trying to do this or that.

There follows an exchange regarding the circumstances under which Kinnear had met the owner Mike Ashley and executive director (football) Dennis Wise.

Steve Brenner (football writer for the Sun) We are all grown men and can come in here and sit around and talk about football, but coming in here and calling people cun_ts?

JK Why? Because I am annoyed. I am not accepting that. If it is libellous, it is going to where I want it to go.

Newcastle press officer What has been said in here is off the record and doesn't go outside.

Journalist Well, is that what Joe thinks?

JK Write what you like. Makes no difference to me. Don't affect me I assure you. It'll be the last time I see you anyway. Won't affect me. See how we go at Everton and Chrissy [Chris Hughton, assistant manager] can do it, someone else can do it. Don't trust any of yous. I will pick two local papers and speak to them and the rest can fuc_k off. I ain't coming up here to have the piss taken out of me. I have a million pages of crap that has been written about me. I'm ridiculed for no reason. I'm defenceless. I can't get a point in, I can't say nothing, I can't do nothing, but I ain't going to be negative. Then, half of you, most of you are trying to get into the players. I'm not going to tell you what the players think of you, so then you try and get into them in some way or another, so I've got a split camp or something like that, something like that. It's ongoing. It just doesn't stop.

Journalist It's only been a week.

JK Exactly. It feels more like a year.

Journalist It's early days for you to be like this.

JK No, I'm clearing the air. And this is the last time I'm going to speak to you. You want to know why, I'm telling you. This is the last time. You can do what you like.

Journalist But this isn't going to do you or us any good.

JK I'll speak to the supporters. I'm going to tell them what the story is. I'm going to tell them. I don't think they'll interpret it any different, I don't think they'll mix it up, I don't think they'll miss out things. I mean, one of them last week said to me ... I was talking about in that press conference where you were there, I said something like "Well, that's a load of <deleted> ..."

Journalist "<deleted> to that" is what you said.

JK <deleted> to that. And what goes after that?

Journalist That was it.

JK No it wasn't, no it wasn't. What was after it? I don't know if it was your paper, but what went after it?

Journalist I don't know.

JK It even had the cheek to say "<deleted> to Newcastle".

Journalist I didn't write that.

JK That was my first fuc_king day. What does that tell you? What does that tell you?

Journalist Where was that? Which paper said that?

JK I've got it. I can't remember. It was one of the Sundays, not a Saturday. It was a Sunday.

Journalist But you didn't say that to the Sundays, you said that to us. That was during the Monday press conference.

JK I'll bring it in and show it to you. Why would I want to say that?

Journalist Are you saying that someone has reported you saying "<deleted> to Newcastle?"

JK Yes. Lovely.

Journalist I don't know who's reported that.

JK I'll tell you what, I'll bring it in.

Journalist That's obviously going to damage you. That's not a good thing. But I don't think someone's done that. We have to have some sort of relationship with you.

JK So have I. But I haven't come in here for you lot to take the piss out of me. And if I'm not flavour of the month for you, it don't fuc_king bother me. I've got a job to do. And I'm going to do it to the best of my ability. I'm not going to spend any more time listening to any crap or reading any crap. Stick to the truth and the facts. And don't twist anything.

Journalist You know, you know the game ...

JK Of course I know, but I don't have to like it.

Journalist Today we'll print the absolute truth, that you think we're cun_ts, we can all fuc_k off and we're slimy. Is that fair enough?

JK Do it. Fine. fuc_king print it. Am I going to worry about it? Put in also that it'll be the last time I see you. Put that in as well. Good. Do it.

Much, much later after long discussions over whether Kinnear had promised Alan Shearer and Kevin Keegan would be returning to the club

Press officer Let's get on to football. Let's have an agreement that everything said so far, if anyone has got their tapes on, it's wiped off and we're not discussing it.

Journalist But that's what Joe has said he thinks of us.

Press officer I'm saying don't push it. Let's accept what's been said and try and move on.

Journalist: Move on to not doing any more press conferences?

PO: No, to doing something now.

Journalist: What, one press conference only?

(Silence)

Journalist: Any knocks?

PO: Come on, let's go football.

Journalist: What are your plans for training in the next three days? How's the training going?

JK It's going very well. No problems at all.

Journalist Enjoyed getting back in the swing of things?

JK Absolutely. I've loved every moment of it.

Neighbourly Wenger offers advice to Kinnear

October 3, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Newcastle United boss Joe Kinnear has revealed he has kept in touch with the Premier League through neighbour Arsene Wenger.

The 61-year-old has been out of management since December 2004, but as well as scouting for players in South America, he has spent time watching the Frenchman working with his Arsenal players on the training pitch.

Kinnear said: "I live literally three minutes from Arsene Wenger. I've lived where I am for the last 30 years, and Arsene since he moved into Arsenal.

"I sit down and talk to him. I have asked if I can go and watch him and see how he works, and on numerous occasions I have gone down to the training ground with him.

"He's a very infectious guy, and a wonderful coach. He's produced a wonderful team who play quality football.

"I think he'd be the nearest manager that I've been in touch with in the last few years.

"He's been very supportive. I can talk to him, and he can talk to me. We can bounce things off each other, and I have enjoyed it.

"I've especially enjoyed the sessions he's put on and seeing how he turns such a young team around.

"He's up there with the best, there's no question about that."

Kinnear returned to the management game in his own right last Friday when he was appointed interim boss by the Magpies' owner Mike Ashley.

The billionaire is in the process of selling the club - unconfirmed reports have suggested a South African consortium has tabled a £300million offer - and has asked the former Wimbledon supremo to fill the gap left by Kevin Keegan when he resigned last month.

Kinnear knows his spell on Tyneside will be short-lived, although it could extend beyond the realms of his contract - which expires at the end of next month - as potential buyers attempt to seal a deal.

However, he admits he could not turn down the chance, and Wenger agrees with his decision despite the criticism the move has attracted.

The Arsenal boss said: "I know him very well. I like him, personally.

"[The criticism is] unfair because you cannot ask somebody who is out of a job for five or six years and has an opportunity to show his quality to refuse the job.

"Joe is an optimist and he thinks, 'Okay, I have the job for a short time, but if I do well, I might stay in there'.

"For somebody who has been out of a job for such a long time, you cannot deny that opportunity to him.

"I believe he has done the right thing and he has the quality and the strengths to maybe turn people around and change their opinion about him.

"It's a tough job, but as well a job without any risk because the club is in such a bad situation, you can only do well."

South African consortium meet with Keegan

October 3, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

The businessman heading a South African consortium bidding to take over Newcastle United has confirmed he has spoken to Kevin Keegan about returning to the club as manager.

Johnathan Cleland met the 57-year-old, whose resignation last month led to protests which sparked Mike Ashley's decision to sell the Magpies, in Manchester on Monday evening and was encouraged by what he heard.

Cleland told the city's evening newspaper, the Evening Chronicle: "My meeting with Kevin went very well. I am hugely impressed with him and I got the sense there is a good chemistry between us and there is a strong mutual interest in working together.

"He is our preferred option, but we can't make any concrete decisions on the management position until negotiations on our planned takeover are further advanced.

"I think he understands and supports our concept of developing the club organically."

Cleland's comments came as the group he leads stepped up their attempts to buy the club.

He revealed his consortium is "80% confident" of managing to push through a deal as up to eight prospective buyers jockey for position.

It is understood Ashley actually valued the club at around £300 million and that the South Africans propose to pay half the money up front and the remainder over the following 12 months.

Meanwhile, another South African businessman, Vivian Imerman, has insisted he has no interest in buying a stake in Newcastle United.

The former owner of Del Monte, who has since invested in Scottish whisky producer Whyte and Mackay, denied he was part of the consortium which is interested in taking over at St James' Park.

However, that has done little to stem the speculation, and he has moved again to distance himself and his company Vasari, from the ongoing situation on Tyneside once and for all.

A spokesman said: "Vivian Imerman can re-confirm that he has no involvement whatsoever with any proposed purchase of Newcastle United nor any other football club.

"Neither Vivian Imerman nor Vasari the investment company Vivian heads, has any interest in investing in football clubs."

Kinnear's former charges back embattled boss

October 4, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Joe Kinnear's former players have rallied around the interim Newcastle manager ahead of his first game in charge against Everton at Goodison Park on Sunday.

Magpies owner Mike Ashley surprised the football world when he handed Kinnear, who had not been involved in management since he left Nottingham Forest in 2004, the job on a short-term basis as he began the process of selling the club.

Kinnear's brief tenure has already been eventful following a press conference at St James' Park in which he used 52 expletives to criticise journalists.

And while the appointment has met with criticism by sections of the press and the club's supporters, members of Kinnear's 'Crazy Gang' from Wimbledon have spoke out in support of him,

Vinnie Jones, who was captain of the Dons while Kinnear was at the helm, has urged the Toon Army to give him a chance.

''People are slaughtering the bloke, but look at his record,'' Jones told the Daily Mail.

''When I went back to Wimbledon they finished top half of the Premier League every season under him and reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup and League Cup in 1997.

''We didn't even have our own ground to play in, we had to play at Crystal Palace.''

Jones added: ''Short of Peter Pan or Paul McKenna, they have the next best thing in Joe Kinnear.

''He can't wave a magic wand and turn results around and take them into the Champions League because anyone who has seen their players knows that he doesn't have much to work with.

''They don't have any characters in the team. If they do, Joe will find them.

''He's a good man, give him a chance and he will take them away from danger. They are in a mess, but don't blame Joe for that. That's down to his predecessors.''

Michael Hughes, who also played under Kinnear at Wimbledon, admitted training under the 61-year-old was enjoyable and the players liked his attacking policy.

He said: ''I enjoyed working for Joe. He was good fun around the training ground, and everyone enjoyed going in. He is very attack minded. At Wimbledon, we were quite fluid, it wasn't a rigid 4-4-2.

''I was on the left wing but I had licence to go and do what I wanted. We didn't sit back, we always went for it and attacked.

''If Joe replicates that up there, I'm sure the fans will love it. It'll be exciting, that's for sure.''

Dean Holdsworth believes Kinnear will not suffer fools gladly and will do a good job at motivating a demoralised dressing room.

He added: ''He won't be quiet, that's for sure. He will make a noise, telling those players a few home truths. He will tell them to get down the Job Centre if they don't want to play for Newcastle. Man-management is his big thing.'

Kinnear effect at work?

Updated: October 5, 2008, 6:22 PM UK

Perhaps Newcastle and Joe Kinnear do speak the same language after all.

It may not have been the tirade of swearing that stand-in boss Kinnear used to the media in midweek, but he certainly seemed to inspire the crisis-torn club in his first game in charge.

• Kinnear delighted with character

Two down to Everton, Newcastle hit back to end a run of five successive defeats.

Everton cruised into the lead through a Mikel Arteta penalty and £15million new boy Marouane Fellaini's first for the club.

But Steven Taylor headed one back seconds before the break and then set-up Damien Duff for the equaliser a minute into the second half.

And had it not been for two desperate goal-line clearances from Leighton Baines, Everton could have been severely embarrassed as their poor form continued.

With a gaggle of consortiums - from the USA and the far and Middle East - circling to take over the Tyneside club in the coming weeks, Kinnear may not be around much longer.

But he has certainly made an impact on Newcastle, who at last showed fight and spirit.

Everton were without hamstring victim Phil Neville, Arteta took over the captain's armband, while Tim Cahill started a three-match suspension. Steven Pienaar and Fellaini came into midfield.

Kinnear, who watched the match from the directors' box as he fulfilled a touchline ban, made two changes for his first game in charge.

Out went Sebastien Bassong and Xisco, with Jose Enrique returned to defence while Danny Guthrie was back in midfield after suspension.

And Newcastle were under pressure from the start against an Everton side still smarting from their UEFA Cup exit in midweek.

Louis Saha fired wide, Ayegbeni Yakubu lifted a shot over the bar and Arteta saw a free-kick curl over.

Everton should have been ahead after seven minutes when Yakubu turned Claudio Cacapa far too easily as a ball came in from the left, but the Nigerian stabbed a 12-yard effort just wide.

Newcastle responded when Charles N'Zogbia appeared in yards of space on the left to fire a cross-shot just wide of the far post.

But Everton were ahead after 17 minutes. Nicky Butt was penalised for a sliding tackle on Baines in the box after the full-back looked to have lost the ball.

But the Newcastle midfielder did take his legs and made no contact with the ball. Referee Howard Webb had no doubt over giving Arteta the chance to drill home the penalty.

Newcastle hit back and after Tim Howard had pushed away a Michael Owen shot, Taylor's follow-up effort was chested off the line by Baines.

The movement of Owen and Duff caused Everton's backline plenty of problems, but Newcastle defended far too deep and it gave the Toffees the space and incentive to come forward.

It was Everton who almost went two ahead when Yakubu sent a near-post cross from Pienaar inches wide.

However, the second did arrive after 35 minutes when Baines' cross from the right was reached first by Fellaini in the six-yard box, and he stretched out a leg to see his debut goal for the club crash home off the underside of the bar.

Newcastle replaced Enrique with Bassong six minutes from the break, before Butt was booked for a trip on Saha.

The visitors were looking ragged, but they were given a lifeline when Taylor headed home at the far post seconds before the break from Geremi's cross.

Spurred by that late goal in the first period, Newcastle struck again a minute after half-time.

Taylor was played in down the right and with Everton expecting a flag, Taylor kept running and crossed for Duff to guide home the equaliser. Replays suggested that Phil Jagielka had played Taylor onside.

Suddenly it was Newcastle coming forward. Saha almost sliced a corner into his own net and Howard saved from N'Zogbia.

Leon Osman forced a fine save from Shay Given as Everton regained some of their composure, but it was much more of an even contest by now.

Fabricio Coloccini saw a header blocked in the six-yard box before an extra striker, in Shola Ameobi, came on for Geremi.

Fellaini was booked for a foul on Duff, Geremi having also been cautioned for hauling back Pienaar.

Everton threw Victor Anichebe on for Saha, but it was Newcastle who almost grabbed the winner when it took a tremendous saving block from Baines to keep out an N'Zogbia shot with Howard beaten.

The hosts then sent on another striker, James Vaughan replacing Pienaar with six minutes left.

Anichebe sent a low shot inches wide while at the other end Ameobi sent a strike just past the far post.

Kinnear delighted with character

Joe Kinnear praised the character of his Newcastle players after they came back from two goals down to draw 2-2 at Everton.

But despite keeping it clean after his expletive-filled midweek rant at reporters, the stand-in Magpies boss could find himself in trouble with the Football Association after seeming to compromise his touchline ban.

Kinnear was seen passing instructions from a position in the tunnel, and first the fourth official and then a policeman made sure he left the area.

He had been heavily criticised for a foul-mouthed tirade aimed at the media earlier in the week, but he handled a full press conference and radio interviews without swearing once.

Kinnear said: "I was very pleased with the comeback, great character. But I'm frustrated, we had two kicked off the line and the players gave me everything.

"We played two small strikers against two well-developed centre-halves, but we passed the ball round them at times.

"We had other opportunities. The character was first class - everyone would have felt at 2-0 down that it was all over. But we stuck at it and almost won it.

"The situation at the club cannot get any lower. And everything that has been said this week hasn't helped much. But you (the media) have a job to do the same as me.''

He added: "I've kept it away from the players. All I want is to manage football and the political side does not interest me. I would have dearly loved to have got all three points.

"What I could not understand with you lot is that the job I have taken is for 10 games, but I cannot see what is being gained by all the sarcasm that has been flying around.

"Surely people want the club left in a better state that I have picked it up in.

"Whoever takes over surely wants to see the club up higher with 10, 15, 20 points. Or will the critics still be happy with us still having four?

"I am not paranoid. I have had to suffer the cruellest journalism I have ever known. There is no reason for it.

"But it is behind me. I am not going to get into another argument. What you see is what you get from me.''

On the subject of his appearance near the dugouts, he blamed lack of reception on his mobile phone.

He said: "I feel it is highly unlikely I will be in trouble for going down to the tunnel. I was on a mobile and could not get any reception, all I wanted to do was make substitutions and changes.

"If they want to be so fickle, so be it. I was talking on the phone and the signal went. I was not on the pitch or in the dugout.

"I passed on instructions to make the substitution and then left the area. I didn't go onto the touchline, I stayed in the tunnel.

"I was trying to get a point over. That's all. I passed the information on to someone and then turned away and went back. It's nothing as far as I am concerned.''

Kinnear also confirmed that he will be holding talks with Gerry Francis over a possible part-time coaching role.

He said: "There is only me and Chris (Hughton), and we have a lot of lads to work with. We need to work in smaller numbers.

"I have known Gerry Francis all my life, he's a great coach. I know he is tied up with media work so I put an offer to him to come in on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

"He can do some solid work and I will pay him accordingly. He has no desire to be a manager or anything full-time. He won't be involved in anything on Saturdays.

"I feel we need someone with that experience. He will not be a number two or anything like that, I will be meeting him for a meal on Monday afternoon to discuss it. There is a good chance something will happen.

"If it is not Gerry I will still be bringing someone else in, to specialise in certain things in small groups - defence, midfield, strikers.''

Everton boss David Moyes believes his side gave desperate Newcastle the lift they needed.

Two up with goals from a Mikel Arteta penalty and Marouane Fellaini's first for the club, Everton allowed Steven Taylor to head one goal back just before the break and create the equaliser early in the second half for Damien Duff.

Moyes, who expects to sign his new contract next week, said: "It was disappointing to see two points dropped like that.

"For 44 minutes we were comfortable, and I was looking forward to going in at the break two up, but that late goal in the first half changed all that.

"There's never a good time to concede a goal. But that was bad. We gave Newcastle a lifeline.

"We are a bit fragile at the moment, anxiety crept in. Even during the half-time period.

"Their dressing room clearly got a lift and ours was down because we had controlled and dominated the half, so to go in just 2-1 ahead was annoying.

"We kept working hard, I know some fans were booing at the end, but they were disappointed we did not win the game.''

On the issue of his contract, Moyes added: "I hope the contract will now be signed sometime next week.

"We have not had the time to do it over the last few days, it will be done next week.''

• 3 weeks later...

In a recent interview Joey Barton made a convincing and passionate plea to be given a yet another chance. With time behind bars and a spell off the bottle he was determined to show he was a new man, indeed he wanted to be a role model for the youth of today in the same vein as Beckham or Owen. How shallow his words seem in the light of his disgraceful goading of Sunderland supporters in the tinderbox atmosphere of the Wear Tyne derby.

Joe Kinnear quite rightly pointed out that his inclusion of Barton in the squad was correct as he had to play his strongest possible team in what was viewed by many as a must win game. But now is the time for the powers at St James's park to sit back and look at the bigger picture.

Newcastle United is up for sale somewhere in the region of £300 million pounds. People who are prepared to part with such vast sums of money are not merely interested in Newcastle United the football club but Newcastle United the global brand. With global branding image is of paramount importance and there can be no doubt the club's image has taken something of a battering over the last few weeks.

Barton's continued presence at Newcastle can only further tarnish the club's all important image. Some day this thug may indeed reform his character, but that day has clearly not yet arrived. Because of this, the time has come for the club to swallow it's pride, cut its losses and part company with him.

In a recent interview Joey Barton made a convincing and passionate plea to be given a yet another chance. With time behind bars and a spell off the bottle he was determined to show he was a new man, indeed he wanted to be a role model for the youth of today in the same vein as Beckham or Owen. How shallow his words seem in the light of his disgraceful goading of Sunderland supporters in the tinderbox atmosphere of the Wear Tyne derby.

He was getting bottles and coins thrown at him aswell as being spat on, dirty inbred mackems started it, if they can do that but not take a rival player kissing a badge without starting a riot, they ought to get their benefits stopped and not be allowed to breed anymore.

Joe Kinnear quite rightly pointed out that his inclusion of Barton in the squad was correct as he had to play his strongest possible team in what was viewed by many as a must win game. But now is the time for the powers at St James's park to sit back and look at the bigger picture.

The only picture is theyre are going down if they dont start winning, they need their best players on the pitch Barton is one of these.

Newcastle United is up for sale somewhere in the region of £300 million pounds. People who are prepared to part with such vast sums of money are not merely interested in Newcastle United the football club but Newcastle United the global brand. With global branding image is of paramount importance and there can be no doubt the club's image has taken something of a battering over the last few weeks.

And as for Newcastle being worth 300million GBP, theyve barely made a profit over the last 15 years how can anyone be stupid enough to pay anywhere near this? theyve got some good land around the ground but its not worth much when you cant sell the property you want to build on there.

Barton's continued presence at Newcastle can only further tarnish the club's all important image. Some day this thug may indeed reform his character, but that day has clearly not yet arrived. Because of this, the time has come for the club to swallow it's pride, cut its losses and part company with him.

Who writes this crap, hes the best central midfielder we've got his presence may well get us a win tonight, why the <deleted> would a business want to lose a 6 million pound asset to one of their rivals when theyre doing sh7t, its just lazy cockney brainless journalism.

He was getting bottles and coins thrown at him aswell as being spat on, dirty inbred mackems started it, if they can do that but not take a rival player kissing a badge without starting a riot, they ought to get their benefits stopped and not be allowed to breed anymore.

Video evidence is being studied and the idiots resposible for throwing objects onto the pitch are going to be banned from the SOL. The sooner the individuals concerned are out of football the better.

As for "The dirty inbred mackems started it" the plastic bottles and coins were thrown onto the pitch only after he reacted to the chants aimed at him. He then ignored requests from stewards to leave the section and only at the request of the police did he finally move. Kissing his badge had nothing to do with the objects been thrown as this was after he left the area where the idiots were seated.

This was only 5 days after he stated he wanted to be a role model. Shearer used to get a hostile reception every time he set foot in the SOL but being the pro he was would never dream of reacting to the crowd in such a manner.

The only picture is theyre are going down if they dont start winning, they need their best players on the pitch Barton is one of these.

There are far weaker squads in the division than Newcastle. But I do take your point, if they don't start picking up points there will be an exodus come the January window. As for his ability, he was not tremendous last season although it's fair to say his mind will have been elsewhere (prison).

And as for Newcastle being worth 300million GBP, theyve barely made a profit over the last 15 years how can anyone be stupid enough to pay anywhere near this? theyve got some good land around the ground but its not worth much when you cant sell the property you want to build on there.

It's your owner whose's coming out with the asking price. As for owning good land around the ground, the ground is not owned by Newcastle United but leased from the council.

Hes the best central midfielder we've got his presence may well get us a win tonight, why the <deleted> would a business want to lose a 6 million pound asset to one of their rivals when theyre doing sh7t.

If anyone were to offer Newcastle 6 million for him they would do well to snap off their hands.

Video evidence is being studied and the idiots resposible for throwing objects onto the pitch are going to be banned from the SOL. The sooner the individuals concerned are out of football the better.

As for "The dirty inbred mackems started it" the plastic bottles and coins were thrown onto the pitch only after he reacted to the chants aimed at him. He then ignored requests from stewards to leave the section and only at the request of the police did he finally move. Kissing his badge had nothing to do with the objects been thrown as this was after he left the area where the idiots were seated.

This was only 5 days after he stated he wanted to be a role model. Shearer used to get a hostile reception every time he set foot in the SOL but being the pro he was would never dream of reacting to the crowd in such a manner.

The mackems have been doing this for years and nothings been done about ie throwing bottles, coins, spitting etc.......They were throwing things at several NUFC player not only Barton............... They 100% started it you apologist.......... Barton was asked to go by the stewards after this happened and he did, its his fcuken right to warm beside the pitch without getting spat on etc..................do you also think the linesman at Villa last week deserved a coin to his head? ........and Rooney deserves a coin to his head? and Gary Neville at Liverpool........the list can go on and on.

Shay Given has already said if the fans came closer at the weekend he'd have had to react to protect himself, no one is more professional then him, its a criminal offence to be on the pitch.

There are far weaker squads in the division than Newcastle. But I do take your point, if they don't start picking up points there will be an exodus come the January window. As for his ability, he was not tremendous last season although it's fair to say his mind will have been elsewhere (prison).

He was good towards the end of the season, all of them were cr4p before then, IMO he is the best central midfielder at the club, but there isnt much competition.

It's your owner whose's coming out with the asking price. As for owning good land around the ground, the ground is not owned by Newcastle United but leased from the council.

Newcastle own the land around the Metro station (they were going to give it to MGM in a deal for part of the Casino) and around the Leazes area (they bought this land to move St James park there in the 90s)

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...1005371,00.html

Hes the best central midfielder we've got his presence may well get us a win tonight, why the <deleted> would a business want to lose a 6 million pound asset to one of their rivals when theyre doing sh7t.

If anyone were to offer Newcastle 6 million for him they would do well to snap off their hands.

Selling a player for 6 million GBP and giving him away to a rival team are slightly different business practices, no team can write that kind of money off not even Chelsea who have seeked compensation for druggy Romanian player.

They 100% started it you apologist

How on earth can you accuse me of being an apologist for people who I've called idiots who should be banned from football?

Barton was asked to go by the stewards after this happened and he did

He left the area when 2 gentlemen with POLICE on their backs requested him to do so.

Do you also think the linesman at Villa last week deserved a coin to his head?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Shay Given has already said if the fans came closer at the weekend he'd have had to react to protect himself, no one is more professional then him, its a criminal offence to be on the pitch.

I couldn't agree more. The idiots concerned forget that Shay Given did a fantastic job for Sunderland when he was on loan in the 1995/96 promotion season.

Newcastle own the land around the Metro station

I stand corrected on this.

You seem to be under the impression that I approve of thugs as long as they are in red and white shirts. Nothing could be wider of the mark.

Likewise you seem to be under the impression that Barton was innocently warming up and doing nothing to stir up the idiots who responded in such a moronic manner. In this you are also wide of the mark.

Fair play, there have been newspapers fully blaming Barton for what happened he was the innocent party who done a little wind up.

I think players should be allowed to do minor little wind ups such as kissing the badge when theyre getting abuse from the crowd, theyve banned almost everything in the ground where it is like a police state, and theyve banned players celebrating with the crowd, taking shirts off when scoring im sure there are many more things i for one dont want more minor things banned.

Edited by spiderman2

• 2 weeks later...

I know im Joey Bartons cheerleader, but he is getting so much sh7t for nothing more then playing football competitively.

Martin Oneil who is a calculating devious fcuker and a very strange man IMO has strung this along all week getting as much press headlines as possible, for them then to say we arent pressing charges, as they know full well it wasnt a racist comment.

Barton allegedly called him big lips in a little scuffle that happens several times in every single game, now IMO to call someone big lips is on a par with calling someone a ginger b***rd, fat c***, bald **** or something similar, its all part of what gets said on a football pitch 100s of times a game.

Nasri tried to do Barton on his return after Barton won the ball fairly and squarely from him, and look at how this predictable bald Jock pr7ck starts his piece of lazy journalism.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/columnist...ball-Sport.html

I still sense an unacceptable risk in allowing Barton on a field – he is at Fulham today – because his contrition seems barely skin-deep.

On his return at Arsenal, remember, the Newcastle midfielder gave a provocatively prolonged, hard eye to Samir Nasri, while against Villa, after being yellow-carded for an over-the-top tackle, Barton was at such a distance from reality that he protested to the referee.

So we are past the stage where it is reasonable to blame Barton alone. Should another of his interpretations of the competitive urge seriously injure someone, culpability would have to be shared by the FA-appointed panel who let him off with a ban of just six matches, with six more suspended, for beating up Ousmane Dabo during a Manchester City training session that preceded his incarceration for another assault.

Don't get me wrong: I hate racial abuse. I just think turning a chap's head into a puffed-up ball is pretty bad form too. Football, as part of its role in a society gone so soft that (we were informed last week) teachers are constrained from disciplining three-year-olds, should get properly tough with all misbehaviour.

That said, it was awful to hear Bernie Ecclestone claim the Spanish fans who insulted Lewis Hamilton's family by dressing up as caricature blacks were having a legitimate laugh. I couldn't care less about standards in motor-racing, that irksome celebration of noise and fume pollution, but Ecclestone is involved in football with QPR and that makes his idea of a joke perturbing.

Surely we have been patient enough with the Spanish sense of humour.

Not that colour-blindness is helpful either, as Stan Collymore explained the morning after Barack Obama became President-Elect. "Obama should never be described as black,'' the striker-turned-media analyst told me. ''He is either African American or of mixed race.

"There are hundreds of thousands of people in the US and UK officially recognised as of mixed race and that is how I am proud to be known. I am not white and I am not black.''

A friend who, like Collymore, had a white mother and black father once told me she considered herself black because that was how society tended to behave towards her. Collymore's perception is reassuring. Let's hope race, in the Obama age, becomes a subject less simplistic but more approachable – except, of course, by racists.

Shola Ameobi got elbowed deliberately by a Villa player on Monday after Shola had accidently fouled him, not one mention has been made about this piece of violence, id sooner be called big lips then get on elbow in my boat.

Edited by spiderman2

• 3 weeks later...

SHEARER TURNS DOWN KINNEAR OFFER

Shearer turns down coaching role at Newcastle

By Soccernet Staff

November 29, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Joe Kinnear has revealed Alan Shearer turned down an invitation to join his coaching staff at Newcastle United.

Kinnear is set to continue as Magpies boss until the end of the season but he will not be joined at St James' Park by the former Newcastle captain.

Kinnear said: "I said he'd be welcome to come in any time to give the place a lift and work with our strikers.

"He said it was a very kind offer but he wasn't ready for it yet, and I said, 'That's fine'. There's a possibility I might bring someone else in on the coaching front now.''

Shearer also believes Michael Owen can revive his international career despite the Newcastle striker being out of favour with England boss Fabio Capello.

Owen has not featured for the national team since the 1-0 defeat against France in March in Capello's second match in charge.

The 28-year-old has been injured for part of Capello's reign so does not meet the Italian's strict fitness criteria for international duty.

However, with his omission from the squad for the friendly with Germany, Owen appears not to be part of Capello's plans.

Shearer, though, is adamant Owen - only the fourth player to score 40 goals for England - can regain his place in the national team.

He told the Daily Telegraph: "On the England front, it's a difficult one at the moment, though if it were up to me he would be in my squad, there's no doubt about that.

"But you can't say anything against the England manager because most of the results he has had have been fabulous. But I don't think Michael Owen's international career is over."

Kinnear has surprised most and has done a reasonable job since coming in. The only thing that I can't understand is why does he keep substituting Martins and leaving Owen on the pitch. In the Boro game yesterday, Martins looked like our best goalscoring threat. I think Owen touched the ball twice during the whole game.

I hope that Owen doesn't get a new contract. We need to build the team around players like Martins. Not Owen.

Kinnear has surprised most and has done a reasonable job since coming in. The only thing that I can't understand is why does he keep substituting Martins and leaving Owen on the pitch. In the Boro game yesterday, Martins looked like our best goalscoring threat. I think Owen touched the ball twice during the whole game.

I hope that Owen doesn't get a new contract. We need to build the team around players like Martins. Not Owen.

Agree with you 100% & Martins was none too please which was completely understandable..

Agree with you 100% & Martins was none too please which was completely understandable..

Id drop Owen for Martins you cant build a team around someone who is always injured, Viduka held the ball up well when he came on, if the fat waste of space can stay fit i think he's just whats needed to keep us up, But he'll be in place of Martins as Martins isnt in the in crowd, Duff's in that crowd but ought to <deleted> off aswell, Nzogbias twice the player.

To answer your question from the other thread the left back is Jose Enrique, shockingly bad again, Bassong looks better then Steven Taylor.

Id drop Owen for Martins you cant build a team around someone who is always injured, Viduka held the ball up well when he came on, if the fat waste of space can stay fit i think he's just whats needed to keep us up, But he'll be in place of Martins as Martins isnt in the in crowd, Duff's in that crowd but ought to <deleted> off aswell, Nzogbias twice the player.

To answer your question from the other thread the left back is Jose Enrique, shockingly bad again, Bassong looks better then Steven Taylor.

Yeah i watched it last night & saw that Enrique & kept an eye on him..

Not great but i didn't think he was shockingly bad..

Viduka looked like he was fcuked after being on the Pitch for 10 mins, he was puffing big time when the Camera was on him...

Can't help think though that you could do a lot worse than to sell Owen, if for the only reason that it keeps Martins on the Pitch more than anything else..

Owen didn't look interested to me yesterday..