Thaksin's Brother In Law Voted As New Prime Minister

george

I though we all deserve a chance to show our true colours

Very sensible post. Yes, everybody deserves a chance to show their true colours. (which I am pretty sure, we will see soon)

Actually not!

At a population of 65 Million Thais, not everybody deserves a chance to show how corrupt he might be (or not) as premier.

The PPP has shown its true colors long ago, like when they tried to change the constitution to get themselves out of legal trouble, or now when they nominated taksin's brother-in-law to be PM. They have once again shown that they do not care about the country one bit - all they care about is staying in power, no matter what.

Last hope is that the courts will kick all these freaks out before they cause even more damage.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"It is now out in the open and official. Thaksin is really running the show..."

And what show would that be? Thaksin ran away from Thailand twice, and is no longer the threat he was.

As long as the government is in his pocket, he's as big a threat as ever.

And what show would that be? Thaksin ran away from Thailand twice, and is no longer the threat he was.

The show that is known as PPP - He wants his money back. PPP is the vehicle funded to achieve this. Powerful people dont want him to ever return politcally which means keeping his money as they dont trust him not to return poltically if he gets it back.

That little show. Not the front one about democracy or anything. The fun little power stuggle.

Forgot one more thing...

Democracy and principles notwithstanding, we Farang ought to collectively be on PAD's side. Both our groups benefit from keeping the poor Thais (PPP's electoral base) in subjugation and with limited opportunities. In fact, if condition of Issan farmers improves substantially, quite a few of us would have little reason for being to Thailand...

Speak for yourself mate!

Can you expand a little on your theory.

I suppose it depends on one's reasons for being in Thailand?

I believe crocodilexp is talking about PAD supporters. If, as PAD supporters claim, the problem was the "uneducated" voters that are unable to make the right (!?) choice, the obvious solution would be to promote education. But so far this solution has never been mentioned. Just cut them out of the democratic process and let them where they are.

PAD supporters, Thai and falang alike, actually are the one who benefit from this state of affair. From the posts here I don’t see many professionals or business minded people supporting the PAD.

Forgot one more thing...

Democracy and principles notwithstanding, we Farang ought to collectively be on PAD's side. Both our groups benefit from keeping the poor Thais (PPP's electoral base) in subjugation and with limited opportunities. In fact, if condition of Issan farmers improves substantially, quite a few of us would have little reason for being to Thailand...

Speak for yourself mate!

Not hardly.

The money in the pocket show....

Ridiculous.....

When will this soap opera end ??

Do we really need a new coup to clean up all this mess ?

Do you really want another coup? Would it clean up the mess now? I don't realy believe so. :o

Another coup is not what this country needs. And it would NOT clean up the mess. :D

You should give this new guy a chance. It's just possible he is not like his brother-in-law. :D

Was Mr Thaksin's brother in law really the best man for the job?? Not to sure

For me the coincidence just seems way too obvious and he will again be a proxy PM for Mr Thaksin.

The question is does Thailand really want a Proxy PM? Or one who can think for himself.

Surley a country with a population of 69 million must have someone who can do the Job!

Ridiculous.....

Do you really want another coup? Would it clean up the mess now? I don't realy believe so. :o

Another coup is not what this country needs. And it would NOT clean up the mess. :D

You should give this new guy a chance. It's just possible he is not like his brother-in-law. :D

I hope you are right. I really do. However, if you check up on the removal of Purachai as interior minister it isnt exactly reassuring.

PAD clowns will start jumping on this......

It's the people who don't jump up and down you have to worry about (i guess that's you Mark). I mean, why would you sit and accept this sort of nonsense, unless of course it was all being made your worthwhile, as it obviously is for all those who voted Somchai in - these people are the real clowns in all of this.

Reading through this topic I sensed many are against Somchai to be the new PM. Why is it so, can't you give him time to prove himself, if he is not up to standard then go ahead and curse him and maybe his family too if one so desires.

I am sure most of you are Farangs, guest of the country and having the same level of mentality as the PAD.

Should suggest to The PAD to include 10% of nominated farangs into the government as per their New Politics... :D:o:D

W..

Surley a country with a population of 69 million must have someone who can do the Job!

Yep, plenty but as we have seen, only a few selected ones will be admitted to the top post and even fewer can afford the asking price for entrance to the contest, and even fewer again can afford to pay any price that is asked!

What you think was the "reluctance" of the 73 "dissidents"?

Political moral to chose another, very obvious proxy, the figure on the cheque was a couple a zeros short...! :o

Ridiculous.....

Meanwhile I have the opinion that a coup would better than these Thaksins at power.

This new guy does not deserve any chance, he got in this position only because he is the brother in law of Thaksin.

But if his first action is to cancel Thaksins diplomatic passport and to speak with the ambassador how to get Thaksin back, than I may change my mind.

Democrat says new PM should not cause negative sentiments amongst citizens

Secretary-General of the Democrat party Suthep Thuangsuban calls on the new prime minister not to do anything to hurt people’s sentiments in order to complete his four-year term.

The Democrat secretary-general also says the new premier should not offend people by amending the Constitution, granting amnesty for former executives of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai party, or being involved in corruption. Mr Suthep says he wants people to monitor whether the coalition government will work for political gain.

The Democrat party used to suggest a formation of National Government to resolve the ongoing political problems before the coalition parties agreed to nominate Somchai Wongsawat from the People Power party as a prime minister candidate.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 September 2008

The big question is what do the PAD do now?

Government House is relocating and everyone is bored with them or fed up with them.

Sonthi and his merry band of lunes is looking increasingly whacky - he's now harping on about 'sufficiency economy' like it's some defined or globally accepted principal rather then 2 words joined together

Government House is relocating and everyone is bored with them or fed up with them.

Sonthi and his merry band of lunes is looking increasingly whacky - he's now harping on about 'sufficiency economy' like it's some defined or globally accepted principal rather then 2 words joined together

they've had their bluff called and come up short really. which leaves them with two options, one to ramp up the level of protests which will be difficult in the circumstances as to their supporters they now look weak, or two, attempt to negotiate some level of influence / role in the new admisitration and claim it as a victory while then making a shifty retreat. thing is they won't get the latter, so either way they will probably now end up with egg on their collective face.

Ridiculous.....

I might not have worded my question the right way , and I did not mean I want another coup....But , seeing what is happening, I mean this farce, I am not convinced that all the current troubles, protests, and all related effects, will ease because of this new PM....So far, the army did not move, but, if the clowns who are in command now can not refrain themselves from being so obviously hungry for power, then, we might face a coup......

Anyway, what will be will be...It's just possible he is not like his brother in law.....It's a bit like flying fishes....they exist, but are not the main bulk of the specie

Well on Sunday it did not look like everyone is bored...There were more people than ever.

Well, the peopleactually elected Samak, and Thaksin before that with a fairly large margin.

Problem is I don't think PPP was elected with a large margin. Only about 37% of the electorate voted for them. This is one of PAD's arguments.

and how much would it be without vote buying? 30 %? 25 %?

W..

Yep, plenty but as we have seen, only a few selected ones will be admitted to the top post and even fewer can afford the asking price for entrance to the contest, and even fewer again can afford to pay any price that is asked!

What you think was the "reluctance" of the 73 "dissidents"?

Political moral to chose another, very obvious proxy, the figure on the cheque was a couple a zeros short...! :o

Yes again, there are thousands more Thais even more qualified than most of the characters in the PPP.

However, IMHO, I doubt they are prepared to prostitute themselves for such a dubious government.

Somchai is very much a stop gap as PPP are very likely to be dissolved within a few months and then their 33 executives including Somchai will almost certainly be banned for 5 years.

It looks like Newin's group held out for 2 more Cabinet portfolios before agreeing to support Somchai, everyone wants The Ministry Of Communication.

Sonthi is going to be very busy as there's a wealth of material to be dug into regarding Yaowapa's very rapid increase in wealth during the Thaksin years, plenty of ammunition there, airport carparks are a good place to start.

The PAD shot themselves in the foot with the 30\70 formula but their proposals for more public participation in Parliament mirror many people's thoughts. They should retreat to Makkawan bridge, give themselves up to face charges and then continue the fight after getting bail.

Somsak: Somchai Is More of Thaksin's Proxy than Samak

UPDATE : 17 September 2008

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Somsak Kosaisuk told PAD protesters last night that he believes Somchai Wongsawat is even more of a proxy of the Thaksin regime than former premier Samak Sundaravej. He added that the PAD’s ultimate goal is to encourage the public to create a new breed of politics, one without corruption.

During his nightly address to the PAD protesters, Somsak Kosaisuk, a PAD leader, said the PAD's lengthy occupation of Government House has turned it into the 'House of the People'.

Somsak then voiced his concerns about interim PM Somchai Wongsawat becoming the 26th prime minister of Thailand. He believes Somchai is even more of a proxy of the Thaksin regime than former PM Samak Sundaravej. He alleged that Somchai is guilty of various wrongdoings, including filing a false asset statement and having a common business interest with former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Somsak also questioned the motive of the Friends of Newin faction within the People Power party and their short-lived protest against the nomination of Somchai as the new premier. He claimed the faction didn’t have the country’s best interest at heart but was only trying to bargain for more seats in ministries with large national budgets.

The PAD leader explained that the final objective of the PAD is to encourage the people to create new politics, or a true form of people’s politics.

He added that the most suitable economic principle for Thailand is that of ‘sufficiency economy’. He criticized the current government for failing to seriously put into practice the sufficiency principles.

Somsak ended his speech last night by reiterating the meaning of people’s politics. According to Somsak, the term people’s politics describes how the public rises up to push for positive political changes and developments, and ultimately create new politics.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

Well the phoney war is over. That one with Samak sitting in the middle between PPP and bureaucracy and everyone not knowing what side he was on and there was some truth to that until he rolled off the fence and sent the red guards in so he could have SoE one day after Panlop questioned his manhood.

What we have now is the phoney phoney war where everyone (except the PAD) will pretend they are giving Somchai a chance to show he is really his own man even though everyone knows family is family. After this short interegnum, and assuming Somchai doesnt just abandon Mr. T (but family is family and who made the phone calls to get him the job of a lifetime), we will no doubt move to hotter forms of war involving all and sundry beyond the PAD and involving the opening up of a few more fronts. However in the short term we can probably look at a period of relative calm. Quite where or how this war ends who knows but we can expect a few more battles and a few more victims along the way, probably both figuratively and literally.

And in the meantime we will no doubt fill TV with 1000's of posts of dubious merit :o