Possible To Avoid Leaving Country On O Visa?

I am travelling in Thailand with a business partner to investigate import to Ireland of ceramics. Looks promising.but for the red tape. Expect to have to return several times no visitwill exceed 90 days.

I obtained an 1 year O visa from Dublin consulate by post. My partner obtained his from RTC Cardiff in person. At the time we didn't know exactly when we'd leave for Thailand.

We were both advised, me over the phone, and he in person that visa must first be used with 6 months or we'd have to reapply. At the time we didn't know how.

I have just che checked Dublin and Cardiff websites which confirm what we were told.

Maybe Muenwai is correct. Take a look

I have just looked at a multiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa issued to a friend. It is positively valid for a year. There'd be little point in getting multi entries if the validity was only 6 months.

Go to Thai Immigration in Bangkok on Susan Plus.  Get the information directly from them so you don't get misinformation.

The original multiple "0" requires exiting Thailand every 90 days.  Fulfilling the requirements for an extension which vary depending on the circumstances still require reporting to Immigration ever 90 days even though exiting the country may not be required.

An extension of stay does not require any reporting to immigration after it is approved; until due for renewal.

If you stay longer than 90 days you must report your address (but that can also be done by mail) but if you travel outside Thailand you only have to report when/if you reach 90 days stay in country without an exit.

If you have an extension of stay you do not have to exit the country; and if you do you must obtain a re-entry permit first.

My visa is shown with a validity of one year.

But what we were both told and what seems to be confirmed on the websites is that you "bear in mind" that your first entry must be made within 180 days(Cardiff)/6months(Dublin) after issue of the visa. The last entry must be made within a year.

Confusing I know and only academic as far as we are concerned.

Lifted from Cardiff site under he heading Non-immigrant visa:

PERSONAL APPLICATION.

PROVIDED DOCUMENTATION MEETS REQUIREMENTS, VISAS ISSUED AT THE TIME OF PRESENTATION.

POSTAL APPLICATION.

IF POSSIBLE, WE TRY TO ISSUE ON DAY OF RECEIPT, WHICH MEANS THAT, IF SPECIAL DELIVERY SERVICE USED BOTH WAYS, PASSPORT INCORPORATING VISA RETURNED WITHOUT DELAY. IN ANY CASE WE WOULD EXPECT YOU TO RECEIVE YOUR PASSPORT WITHIN 7 DAYS. SHOULD THIS PROVE NOT TO BE THE CASE, DO NOT FAIL TO CONTACT US.

WHEN APPLYING PLEASE CHECK TO SEE YOU ARE SENDING;-

APPLICATION FORM PROPERLY COMPLETED.

TWO PHOTOGRAPHS AND PASSPORT

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION (WHERE NECESSARY)

PAYMENT AND STAMPED ADDRESSED ENVELOPE FOR RETURN OF PASSPORT.

REMEMBER NOT TO APPLY TOO EARLY FOR VISA

BEARING IN MIND ENTRY INTO THAILAND MUST BE MADE WITHIN 90 DAYS FOR SINGLE ENTRY AND 180 DAYS FOR DOUBLE OR MORE ENTRIES, FROM DATE OF ISSUE OF VISA.)

MOST VISITORS TO THAILAND HAVE AN ENJOYABLE TIME AND OFTEN WANT TO MAKE REPEAT VISITS. WE HOPE THIS WILL PROVE TO BE YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Lifted from dublin Sites

Non-Immigrant Visa allows you to stay for up to 90 days. A Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Visa allows you to stay for up to 1 year however you must leave after each 90 day period and re-enter. These two visas cannot be issued to Tourists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How soon should I apply for my visa?

You may apply no earlier than 90 days from when you plan to enter Thailand. As the visa will expire 90 days from date of issue (6 months if 2 or more entries are issued) you do not want to apply too early. Allow at least 5 working days for the visa to be issued.

I sought clarification on this point because I though maybe it applied only to Tourist visas but was told it applied to all visas.

To add to the confusion another UK site (Thai tourism authority) states that all types of visa must be utilised within 3 months of application.

My visa is shown with a validity of one year.

But what we were both told and what seems to be confirmed on the websites is that you "bear in mind" that your first entry must be made within 180 days(Cardiff)/6months(Dublin) after issue of the visa. The last entry must be made within a year.

Confusing I know and only academic as far as we are concerned.

Lifted from Cardiff site under he heading Non-immigrant visa:

PERSONAL APPLICATION.

PROVIDED DOCUMENTATION MEETS REQUIREMENTS, VISAS ISSUED AT THE TIME OF PRESENTATION. 

POSTAL APPLICATION. 

IF POSSIBLE, WE TRY TO ISSUE ON DAY OF RECEIPT, WHICH MEANS THAT, IF SPECIAL DELIVERY SERVICE USED BOTH WAYS, PASSPORT INCORPORATING VISA RETURNED WITHOUT DELAY. IN ANY CASE WE WOULD EXPECT YOU TO RECEIVE YOUR PASSPORT WITHIN 7 DAYS. SHOULD THIS PROVE NOT TO BE THE CASE, DO NOT FAIL TO CONTACT US.

WHEN APPLYING PLEASE CHECK TO SEE YOU ARE SENDING;- 

APPLICATION FORM PROPERLY COMPLETED.

TWO PHOTOGRAPHS AND PASSPORT

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION (WHERE NECESSARY)

PAYMENT AND STAMPED ADDRESSED ENVELOPE FOR RETURN OF PASSPORT.

REMEMBER NOT TO APPLY TOO EARLY FOR VISA

BEARING IN MIND ENTRY INTO THAILAND MUST BE MADE WITHIN 90 DAYS FOR SINGLE ENTRY AND 180 DAYS FOR DOUBLE OR  MORE ENTRIES, FROM DATE OF ISSUE OF VISA.)

MOST VISITORS TO THAILAND HAVE AN ENJOYABLE TIME AND OFTEN WANT TO MAKE REPEAT VISITS. WE HOPE THIS WILL PROVE TO BE YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Lifted from dublin Sites

Non-Immigrant Visa allows you to stay for up to 90 days. A Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Visa allows you to stay for up to 1 year however you must leave after each 90 day period and re-enter. These two visas cannot be issued to Tourists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How soon should I apply for my visa?

You may apply no earlier than 90 days from when you plan to enter Thailand. As the visa will expire 90 days from date of issue (6 months if 2 or more entries are issued) you do not want to apply too early. Allow at least 5 working days for the visa to be issued.

I sought clarification on this point because I though maybe it applied only to Tourist visas but was told it applied to all visas.

To add to the confusion another UK site (Thai tourism authority) states that all types of visa must be utilised within 3 months of application.

The three month is for a single entry visa. The six month is for a two or three entry visa because that is how long it is issued for (if done correctly). This is not what is called a multi entry one year visa. The official MFA web site says

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

Single-entry and multiple-entry visas are valid for three months and multiple- entry visas for one year respectively.

OK I am going to give this a try next week.

I have been living in LOS with my English girlfriend and have 3 back to back 1 year Multi Non Im 0's. So does my girlfriend. Money in the joint bank account around 1 million constantly and own a pretty expensive condo. Proving resources is not a problem. We usually do go out after 90 days and for the last two years only extended stay a week or so before a flight.

I will see if Pattaya imigration are up for the idea. Have to extend for 2 weeks before flying to the PI for new years. Hope you guys are right as having to leave can be a pain in the arse.

I am over 50 and could get retirement visa but this would be no use as my girlfiriend is 40. As we are not married she can not live on the back of my retirement visa. Last time we went for an extension I was hastled to marry her (in a very friendly and light hearted way). They said they could even arrange it for us. LOL.

Thanks for the info and will let you know how it goes.

That sounds about right - many thanks Lopburi.

What about these companies which say that they can take your passport and give you an exit and entry visa - sounds risky to me but was wondering if anyone had ever used one?

Dont even think about it............it aint worth the risk.

There are many law firms advertising that they can take care of the formalities with the Immigration Office,how about them? Many of them adverise on 'Thaivisa' as well, surely they are to be trusted are n't they?.

This is what I am planning to do with my Retirement O type visa in a few months time. I am almost sure that it is safe provided it is a respectable company. Giving away a western passport to strangers appears a little bit risky but it all depends on the company I guess.

Can you recommend a firm with which any of you has succesful dealings? I will appreciate it. (provided we do not infringe on the advertisement restrictions of the Forum)

cheers

marios

What about these companies which say that they can take your passport and give you an exit and entry visa - sounds risky to me but was wondering if anyone had ever used one?

There are many law firms advertising that they can take care of the formalities with the Immigration Office,how about them? Many of them adverise on 'Thaivisa' as well, surely they are to be trusted are n't they?.

This is what I am planning to do with my Retirement O type visa in a few months time. I am almost sure that it is safe provided it is a respectable company. Giving away a western passport to strangers appears a little bit risky but it all depends on the company I guess.

Can you recommend a firm with which any of you has succesful dealings? I will appreciate it. (provided we do not infringe on the advertisement restrictions of the Forum)

cheers

marios

Notwithstanding the advert circumstances, I wouldn't give my passport to anyone for visa purposes.

cheers

marios

What we were talking about is not what you plan to do or what those advertisers probably do. We were talking about your passport leaving the country without you to obtain a border stamp or visa which is not legal and in some cases the stamps themselves were false. But you pay the price when found out.

Having someone or a firm help in the application for an extension of stay (which is what you are talking about) is another matter.

That said see no reason to use a service for a normal retirement based extension of stay but if it helps you feel better can understand that is reason in itself. Just be aware that you should be able to do it yourself if you can fill out a normal visa type form and make some photo copies. In no case do you give your passport to them - you must do the process yourself. They will tell you what to do and help you but you are the one who must do it - if they say otherwise I would be very concerned and drop them like a hot potato.

I agree, you can do it by yourself. Otherwise, if you have somebody doing the paperwork, why not.

The companies advertising such work, do nothing but assist you. I.e. they fill in the forms, tell you where to sign, prepare the photocopies etc.

You still have to come along to the immigration office, to show your face.

And you sign one letter of attorney, allowing them to act on your behalf.

If it is easier for you and you are willing to pay the fee, do it.

If you are more adventerous, go by yourself.

Hillly,

We usually do go out after 90 days and for the last two years only extended stay a week or so before a flight.
I will see if Pattaya imigration are up for the idea. Have to extend for 2 weeks before flying to the PI for new years. Hope you guys are right as having to leave can be a pain in the arse.

Don't quite understand..... It sounds like you have been successful in the past extending your stay "a week or so" past 90 days. Is this correct?

If so, what's the big deal about now having to extend "for 2 weeks" before heading to the PI? (Or were your previous extensions via the pay-baht-at-the-airport routine?)

Just curious, as I have yet to get anything definitive on this forum about how easy (or difficult) it is to extend short-term a 90-day stay. In fact, I've yet to hear anyone say they've extended a 90-day stay for a short duration (10-30 days), let alone what hoops they had to jump thru to do so.

Hillly,
We usually do go out after 90 days and for the last two years only extended stay a week or so before a flight.
Don't quite understand..... It sounds like you have been successful in the past extending your stay "a week or so" past 90 days. Is this correct?

If so, what's the big deal about now having to extend "for 2 weeks" before heading to the PI? (Or were your previous extensions via the pay-baht-at-the-airport routine?)

Just curious, as I have yet to get anything definitive on this forum about how easy (or difficult) it is to extend short-term a 90-day stay. In fact, I've yet to hear anyone say they've extended a 90-day stay for a short duration (10-30 days), let alone what hoops they had to jump thru to do so.

A good reason is the general requirement. Convenience isn't a good reason.

Doc,

I hate to be dense, but I don't understand what you mean.

I've broached this subject on several threads, but still don't know if I could get a 30-day extension, or even a 10-day extension, to my 90-day stay from a Non Imm 'O' multientry visa. Possibly it would depend on my circumstances, so here goes:

I come to Thailand three times per year, with each stay approximately 80 days. The Non Imm 'O' is granted based on marriage to a Thai, who also hops several times a year between the States and Thailand. I can forsee sometime in the future where I'd like to extend, albeit briefly, my 90-day entry permit. I've got the resources to get a long-stay extension based on retirement (or marriage), but since I cannot guarantee I'll be in Thailand the same time every year (required to renew the long-stay extension), that doesn't seem to be an option. And as long as my old Mum is alive and kicking, my segmented visits will need to continue.

As mentioned on another thread, my multientry visa has NO stamp stating "No extension permitted." So, back to the original question: Can 90-day stays be extended for short terms? Anything specifically prohibiting this? Or is the prevailing wisdom that you're either here for 90 days or less -- or for one year (long-stay). No in-between situations allowed. Doesn't make any sense to me, especially since I could show Immigration that I meet the financial requirements for a long-stay -- but only want a 30-day extension. Heck, the cost would even be the same as for a long-stay.

Anyway, your take (or Lop's or anyone's) would be appreciated. I'd ask Immigration, but Mum, not Thailand, owns me this month.

Thanx.

Doc,

I hate to be dense, but I don't understand what you mean.

I've broached this subject on several threads, but still don't know if I could get a 30-day extension, or even a 10-day extension, to my 90-day stay from a Non Imm 'O' multientry visa. Possibly it would depend on my circumstances, so here goes:

I come to Thailand three times per year, with each stay approximately 80 days. The Non Imm 'O' is granted based on marriage to a Thai, who also hops several times a year between the States and Thailand. I can forsee sometime in the future where I'd like to extend, albeit briefly, my 90-day entry permit. I've got the resources to get a long-stay extension based on retirement (or marriage), but since I cannot guarantee I'll be in Thailand the same time every year (required to renew the long-stay extension), that doesn't seem to be an option. And as long as my old Mum is alive and kicking, my segmented visits will need to continue.

As mentioned on another thread, my multientry visa has NO stamp stating "No extension permitted." So, back to the original question: Can 90-day stays be extended for short terms? Anything specifically prohibiting this? Or is the prevailing wisdom that you're either here for 90 days or less -- or for one year (long-stay). No in-between situations allowed. Doesn't make any sense to me, especially since I could show Immigration that I meet the financial requirements for a long-stay -- but only want a 30-day extension. Heck, the cost would even be the same as for a long-stay.

Anyway, your take (or Lop's or anyone's) would be appreciated. I'd ask Immigration, but Mum, not Thailand, owns me this month.

Thanx.

Immigration usually don't like to extend Non-Immigrant visa's for short terms. You can try 'em. It does happen, so it is up to your sales skill and large smile. Good luck :o

Agree with Pat. You are asking a favor and I would use for when there is a reason that you can not travel/return rather than ask for under normal conditions. If you do this you are also subject to the 90 day address reporting requirement so make sure to take care of that or confirm your immigration office counts your visit as a report.

Agree with Pat.  You are asking a favor and I would use for when there is a reason that you can not travel/return rather than ask for under normal conditions.  If you do this you are also subject to the 90 day address reporting requirement so make sure to take care of that or confirm your immigration office counts your visit as a report.

Good point Lop.

"Immigration usually don't like to extend Non-Immigrant visa's for short terms. You can try 'em. It does happen, so it is up to your sales skill and large smile. Good luck."

"If you do this you are also subject to the 90 day address reporting requirement so make sure to take care of that or confirm your immigration office counts your visit as a report."

Thanks. Sounds like I could hit a brick wall should I want to stay past 90 days.

Ok, question on plan 2 (long-stay extension): If I enter Thailand on, say, 10 Jan '05 on a Non Imm 'O' visa, then successfully obtain an extension based on retirement, what is the window in 2006 for renewing this extension? Up to one week before 10 Jan '06? What if I can't make it to Immigration until 12 Jan '06? Any grace period after the anniversary date?

Again, thanks for your time.

"Immigration usually don't like to extend Non-Immigrant visa's for short terms. You can try 'em. It does happen, so it is up to your sales skill and large smile. Good luck."

"If you do this you are also subject to the 90 day address reporting requirement so make sure to take care of that or confirm your immigration office counts your visit as a report."

Thanks. Sounds like I could hit a brick wall should I want to stay past 90 days.

Ok, question on plan 2 (long-stay extension):  If I enter Thailand on, say, 10 Jan '05 on a Non Imm 'O' visa, then successfully obtain an extension based on retirement, what is the window in 2006 for renewing this extension? Up to one week before 10 Jan '06? What if I can't make it to Immigration until 12 Jan '06? Any grace period after the anniversary date?

Again, thanks for your time.

No grace period at all Jim.

No grace period beyond, but apply for extension in advance (up to one month before expiry) and, if necessary, explain with ticket on hand that you only can return to LoS on 12th Jan 06. You will get a 'under consideration stamp' to return after that date. (Apply for a new re-entry permit) However, you should be here around Dec. 05 or do you plan to be out of the country for one year?

"No grace period beyond, but apply for extension in advance (up to one month before expiry)"

Ok, one month before. Good to know.

What I'm considering, then, is to come later in Jan than normal -- around Jan 20th. I always come to Thailand in Jan -- finest month of the year there -- but it has been usually the first week.

Soon after Jan 20th, I'll try to get a retirement extension. Yes, I know, you usually have to wait until the last 30 days of your 90-day stay permit to apply. But some on this forum have gotten it a lot quicker, particularly if they're extending for 'retirement,' not 'support,' purposes. If they tell me to come back after day 60 of my entry permit, well, I will -- only I may have only about 10 days or so to wait before I have to head Stateside. Presumably they'll know how long the 'under consideration' period will be, so that if it is prohibitive, I can just exit Immigration without paying anything. Oh, related to that, do you pay for the extension (1900 baht) upon application -- or when you come back to pick it up? What about the multiple reentry permit (3800 baht) -- application time, or pickup time?

Anyway, by coming later in Jan this coming year, I'll set myself up to return earlier in subsequent years -- and thus back on my normal schedule -- in order to renew my visa extension. [but if they plan to give me a 60-day 'under consideration' stamp (unless I can get it in my first, not last, 30 days of entry permit), then I'll blow it off and return to what I've been doing.]

Critique?

"No grace period beyond, but apply for extension in advance (up to one month before expiry)"

Ok, one month before. Good to know.

What I'm considering, then, is to come later in Jan than normal -- around Jan 20th. I always come to Thailand in Jan -- finest month of the year there -- but it has been usually the first week.

Soon after Jan 20th, I'll try to get a retirement extension. Yes, I know, you usually have to wait until the last 30 days of your 90-day stay permit to apply. But some on this forum have gotten it a lot quicker, particularly if they're extending for 'retirement,' not  'support,' purposes.  If they tell me to come back after day 60 of my entry permit, well, I will -- only I may have only about 10 days or so to wait before I have to head Stateside. Presumably they'll know how long the 'under consideration' period will be, so that if it is prohibitive, I can just exit Immigration without paying anything. Oh, related to that, do you pay for the extension (1900 baht) upon application -- or when you come back to pick it up? What about the multiple reentry permit (3800 baht) -- application time, or pickup time?

Anyway, by coming later in Jan this coming year, I'll set myself up to return earlier in subsequent years -- and thus back on my normal schedule -- in order to renew my visa extension. [but if they plan to give me a 60-day 'under consideration' stamp (unless I can get it in my first, not last, 30 days of entry permit), then I'll blow it off and return to what I've been doing.]

Critique?

You pay on application. Do not know how much or even if there is a delay with retirement type extensions - support is normally 40-45 days and you are expected to present passport on the exact date indicated.

I would give it a try if you really want a retirement extension - 1,900 baht is not exactly going to break you - and it will give you a chance to explain your situation. But you could also explain your case before you pay and if you have the money in the bank believe you stand a fair chance.

But not sure why you can not just use multi entry O visas based on marriage - short visits like yours is what it is designed for. If you ever need to stay longer than 90 days a quick trip takes care of that.