Somchai Wongsawat To Be New PM

Jai Dee

"The Pointer"...

images1-1.jpg

At some point during the traditional Thai police crime scene recreations, someone is inevitably photographed pointing at something. It's a shame there aren't any of The Pointer at the Bangkok pub where a policeman was shot point-blank in the head in a cold-blooded murder.

Hmmm, famous people seem to like pointing.

Hussein_pointing_court.jpg

Yowza. Talk about giving PAD an easy target and a reason to keep protesting. What is this government thinking?

In respect to the allegations involving his son and the 2001 killing of the crime suppression detective, wouldn't this be akin to giving the finger to the police that are expected to clear the protestors?

What happened to the allegations of inappropriate behaviour regarding the sale of the land plots Koh Racha? Was he cleared of the allegations? If not, again, who recommended this appointment?

Is this the product of a faction bargaining for positions in exchange for their support? If so which faction.

Seriously, this is retarded. Is the intent to provoke contempt and anger or is it arrogance or is simple stupidity? I don't get it.

There's analysis in the paper Nation today and they mention that Chavalit will become the Pua Thai leaders and the next PM after the elections.

That's a sign of real transformation of Thai politics, from elite feudalism to empowering the poor masses. Finally.

What's good enough for Chaiya's return is surely good enough for Chalerm...

chalerm0016.jpg

Outgoing Interior Minister wishes well to subordinates

Outgoing Minister of Interior Police Captain Chalerm Yoobamrung yesterday bid farewell to high ranking officials of the Interior Ministry on the event of his vacating of the ministerial post.

The former Cabinet member said that he had formed personal bonds with the officials and thanked them for understanding his work ethic as well as bidding them good luck; saying that the Interior Ministry was a sacred government office.

He also responded to Democrat claims that he was distressed by his removal by stating that he was not affected by the event and felt fully supported.

Police Captain Chalerm assured that he harbored no ill-will towards the government and affirmed that he still greatly respects the Prime Minister.

He said that despite his removal now, he may still take another ministerial position in the years to come.

- ThaiNews / Aug. 6, 2008

===========================================================

see ya 'round, Chalerm... Smiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3001.gifSmiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3000.gifSmiley-msn-com-Bye-Bye-3002.gif

we've no doubt NOT heard the last from you...

I hadn't imagined when I wrote the above it would be less than 2 months before his return.

"Yoobamrung" ..... a family of thugs & one murderer... :o

Item:

Thailand has unveiled a new cabinet which critics have dismissed as second-rate and unlikely to last long.

The new line-up has among others a brewer as foreign minister :D and an ex-police captain as health minister.

Analysts say Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's new cabinet is the result of political horse trading brought about by six parties in the ruling coalition vying for ministerial posts.

They believe the cabinet will last only a few months before internecine rows, lawsuits, stuttering economic growth and the continued occupation of Government House by street protesters bring it to its knees.

ABC news today.

Edited by GungaDin

Ministers from previous line-up appear, leaving skeptics unimpressed

Thailand's new Prime Minister yesterday (Sept 24) unveiled his 36-member Cabinet, looking to restore stability in the country.

The line-up, which was formally endorsed by King Bhumibol Adulyadej last night, was the result of protracted wrangling among parties in the ruling coalition and among factions within the People's Power Party (PPP) itself.

It was, however, received with some skepticism by critics, who noted that the team included several faces from the previous Cabinet and who wondered how long the government would last.

According to several reports quoting sources, the list was finalized with advice from former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who faces a range of corruption charges and is now in self-exile in London, officially a fugitive from the law.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has, however, stressed that he personally oversaw the selection of most of the ministers.

Yesterday, he implored Thais to give his Cabinet a chance, saying: "Please let my Cabinet work to prove themselves. I am confident they will work with good intention, as the Cabinet is comprised of both politicians and non-politicians."

He also called a meeting with the PPP's five coalition partners to discuss measures to restore economic confidence, which has been badly dented both by domestic political turmoil and the global environment.

The new Cabinet is planning to kick-start several large projects and deal with crises such as the floods in the northeast.

Somchai also intends to pursue negotiations with the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), in an attempt to defuse a stalemate which has left Thailand polarized and the government rudderless for weeks.

His Cabinet line-up includes academics and several former ministers, including former justice minister Sompong Amornwiwat (now foreign minister and deputy PM); former interior minister Chalerm Yoobamrung (now public health minister); and former deputy finance minister Suchart Thadathamrongvech (now finance minister).

Veteran Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, a former general and minister, returns as a deputy PM and will also take responsibility for security issues.

The names, however, failed to impress even before they were officially announced.

"I am not excited nor do I have any hope for this new Cabinet," said labour union leader Somsak Kosaisuk, a co-leader of the PAD, which remains encamped at Government House and is demanding sweeping political reform.

"The party involved is set to be disbanded and it has already prepared for it by setting up a new party," he added.

The PPP is embroiled in a court case that is likely to see it dissolved on account of electoral fraud committed by executive member Yongyuth Tiyapairat during the December election.

A new party, Puea Thai, has been set up to serve as an alternative for MPs from the PPP to join when the party is dissolved. Dissolution charges also hang over two of the PPP's partners.

Several analysts predict further fragmentation as MPs get set to switch parties, on the back of the turmoil caused by the recent disqualification of former premier Samak Sundaravej and his Cabinet, and the probable dissolution of the PPP.

The influence of the new Cabinet will thus likely be constrained by the political environment.

"Few believe the government will last more than two months, given the likelihood that the ruling PPP will be dissolved by the courts for election fraud," Kim Eng Securities said in a bulletin yesterday.

Professor Trakul Meechai of Chulalongkorn University's faculty of political science said he does not foresee any substantial improvement with the new line-up.

"There are limitations involving the coalition parties. The Cabinet list needs to be prepared under a quota system. So it's difficult to find people with the required capacity to run the country during this time of crisis," he was quoted as saying yesterday by local daily The Nation.

Pramon Sutivong, chairman of the Board of Trade, said: "Several veteran politicians still cling to power at key ministries and this shows coalition parties just bargain for their own best interests."

- The Straits Times / 25-09-2008

There's analysis in the paper Nation today and they mention that Chavalit will become the Pua Thai leaders and the next PM after the elections.

That's a sign of real transformation of Thai politics, from elite feudalism to empowering the poor masses. Finally.

Oh no, sell your Baht. It is going to devalue again. Remember the last?

Ive merged another thread discussing part of the new cabinet line-up into this thread with similar discussion so that you can all continue to exchange views in one place

cheers

.... - then the audacity for our pal Thaksin to claim it was Soros fault!!!

Now that's comedy.

Yep,Sir! That was the extra-topping on the pizza!

Soros, his hedge fund made in fact losses!

But here it went down well, the farangs did this and since he/them got away clean,

since they riding that gravy train!

Just watch the stocks for yaowapa's empire... on the day of her husbands nomination.. they went up some 24% a quarter in a single day! :o

they invented a way to make each other billionaires at least multi millionaires, who is going to pay that bill? - money doesn't come out of thin air!

And now the "new cabinet line up" it's getting obscene!

Edited by Samuian

Dear westerners that are continually posting their western ideologies on this forum, I do find it slightly amusing how many of you have opinions that come from your own misguided, misunderstanding and bigoted cultures. Let's look at this realisticallty. Thailand is unique, their people are lovely, forgiving and kind. Westerners and other races stay here by the grace of the Thai people.

If I recall Thailand has never committed genocide, started any world wars, subjected any other countries to their will or stuck their fingers in other peoples pies.Instead of trying to advise each other on this forum that the others ideas are wrong, they just plod on and enjoy what they have and like everyone, try to do just a little bit better than the preceding generation.

Westerners come to Thailand in the Majority to enjoy something new and exciting to them, spend some money on holiday and return home, usually satisfied by good value for money, friendly locals and good memories. Thailand is an amazing country from beautiful beaches and mountains to lush green jungles, happy people and great food, an immensely rich culture that is probably "the best of S.E. Asia".

On the whole the expats that stay here don't seem to see it this way and go out of their way to moan about how bad they have it, how corrupt things may be and how the government should act.

Well the way I see it Thais seem to have a lot more than your so called advanced or 1st world countries do.

Let's look at the state of the U.S.A., Australia, Britain and Europe shall we? How many wars have these countries been involved in the past 20 or so years through their corrupt, self serving ideologies and brutish policies. How many innocents around the world have had their lives, families and livelihoods destroyed by nepotistic and self serving foreign policy. I shall not make a list as it is boring and not an opinion. The entire world seems to be in meltdown mode at this moment in time and your such valuable ideas may be welcomed in your own countries more than in Thailand, where you cannot vote, mostly cannot reside and cannot publicly express your disjointed western philosophies. (Thank god)

Why do these westerners stay in Thailand if they think that their countries are so superior? I hear Suvhanbhumi airport is open and running very smoothly at present and I'm sure your families are missing you.

I like the LOS it is a beautiful, beautiful place with one of the greatest cultures in the world and probably the kindest of people. I feel truly privileged to know about it and be here.

A wise philosopher called Voltaire once wrote about tolerance "What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed :o of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly--that is the first law of nature".

Dear westerners that are continually posting their western ideologies on this forum, I do find it slightly amusing how many of you have opinions that come from your own misguided, misunderstanding and bigoted cultures. Let's look at this realisticallty. Thailand is unique, their people are lovely, forgiving and kind. Westerners and other races stay here by the grace of the Thai people.

If I recall Thailand has never committed genocide, started any world wars, subjected any other countries to their will or stuck their fingers in other peoples pies.Instead of trying to advise each other on this forum that the others ideas are wrong, they just plod on and enjoy what they have and like everyone, try to do just a little bit better than the preceding generation.

Westerners come to Thailand in the Majority to enjoy something new and exciting to them, spend some money on holiday and return home, usually satisfied by good value for money, friendly locals and good memories. Thailand is an amazing country from beautiful beaches and mountains to lush green jungles, happy people and great food, an immensely rich culture that is probably "the best of S.E. Asia".

On the whole the expats that stay here don't seem to see it this way and go out of their way to moan about how bad they have it, how corrupt things may be and how the government should act.

Well the way I see it Thais seem to have a lot more than your so called advanced or 1st world countries do.

Let's look at the state of the U.S.A., Australia, Britain and Europe shall we? How many wars have these countries been involved in the past 20 or so years through their corrupt, self serving ideologies and brutish policies. How many innocents around the world have had their lives, families and livelihoods destroyed by nepotistic and self serving foreign policy. I shall not make a list as it is boring and not an opinion. The entire world seems to be in meltdown mode at this moment in time and your such valuable ideas may be welcomed in your own countries more than in Thailand, where you cannot vote, mostly cannot reside and cannot publicly express your disjointed western philosophies. (Thank god)

Why do these westerners stay in Thailand if they think that their countries are so superior? I hear Suvhanbhumi airport is open and running very smoothly at present and I'm sure your families are missing you.

I like the LOS it is a beautiful, beautiful place with one of the greatest cultures in the world and probably the kindest of people. I feel truly privileged to know about it and be here.

A wise philosopher called Voltaire once wrote about tolerance "What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed :o of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly--that is the first law of nature".

Troll!!!

Since Samak left--or was pushed aside, there has been precious little entertainment in the political arena. Now I have something to watch!

Don't worry....different kind of joke:

from the nation:

House session collapses for a second consecutive day

The House was forced to adjourn on Thursday, a second consecutive day, due to a lack of quorum.

The Wednesday's agenda was the deliberation of amendments to the anti-money laundering law. But it was cut short before casting votes following the check for quorum.

The session reconvened this morning at 11.00 am and only 188 of 470 MPs were present. This prompted House Speaker Chai Chidchob to postpone the vote to the afternoon.

At 12.35 pm, Chai again tried to call the meeting but found 205 MPs were present.

Following a brief break, a roll call was conducted and 218 MPs were at the chambers although 375 had signed their names reporting to work.

The Nation

rhetoric

Plus sa change, plus sa la meme chose mon amie

or one could say in the context of ad hominem .........................glass flows over time for the quoters amongst

:o

Aristodemus meeting Socrates in holiday attire, is invited by him to a

banquet at the house of Agathon, who had been sacrificing in thanksgiving

for his tragic victory on the day previous. But no sooner has he entered

the house than he finds that he is alone; Socrates has stayed behind in a

fit of abstraction, and does not appear until the banquet is half over. On

his appearing he and the host jest a little; the question is then asked by

Pausanias, one of the guests, 'What shall they do about drinking? as they

had been all well drunk on the day before, and drinking on two successive

days is such a bad thing.' This is confirmed by the authority of

Eryximachus the physician, who further proposes that instead of listening

to the flute-girl and her 'noise' they shall make speeches in honour of

love, one after another, going from left to right in the order in which

they are reclining at the table. All of them agree to this proposal, and

Phaedrus, who is the 'father' of the idea, which he has previously

communicated to Eryximachus

I'm sure the learned amongst know the rest................leaw thee koon

nearly 8 months ago...
Incoming prime minister Samak Sundaravej admitted yesterday he was not completely satisfied with his Cabinet, portraying the line-up as an "ugly duckling".

Samak said coalition demands and strict rules on ministerial credentials had limited his options.

"I don't know what to do with the government's image - it is unavoidable that it's a little ugly, because only the daredevils are willing to join the Cabinet," he said.

He had tried, but failed, to recruit competent outsiders

and today...

Democrat: New cabinet uglier than Samak's

The Democrat Party criticised PM Somchai Wongsawat for slowly setting up his Cabinet, adding that his selected ministers could appear “uglier” than those under the Samak administration. Democrat Assistant Secretary-General Thepthai Senpong called on Somchai to quickly form the Cabinet because the more time it takes, more lobbying and negotiations would occur. In the end, Somchai’s Cabinet would be “uglier” than the previous one administered by Samak. He believed the reason the Cabinet was not formed quickly because the individuals who the premier approached rejected the offer. He said they may see that the current government’s term may not be long, since the ruling PPP could be dissolved. The government also had to wait for the direct line from an influential figure in London, Mr Thepthai added.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130869

==================================================================

now that's progress...

more progress evident with innovative changes to end the national division and begin reconciliation...

PM says government’s polices drafted in line with those of Samak Administration

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat said he has adopted the policies of the Samak Sundaravej Administration as a model to draft the present government’s policies.

The premier says the draft of the government policies has been completed and he will inform the Cabinet meeting tomorrow of the drafting process. The Cabinet will set up a committee to examine the draft before the policies are announced to the Parliament.

The premier said his administration followed the policies of the last government as he was chairman of a committee drafting the policies.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-25

nearly 8 months ago...
Incoming prime minister Samak Sundaravej admitted yesterday he was not completely satisfied with his Cabinet, portraying the line-up as an "ugly duckling".

Samak said coalition demands and strict rules on ministerial credentials had limited his options.

"I don't know what to do with the government's image - it is unavoidable that it's a little ugly, because only the daredevils are willing to join the Cabinet," he said.

and today...

The Democrat Party criticised PM Somchai Wongsawat for slowly setting up his Cabinet, adding that his selected ministers could appear "uglier" than those under the Samak administration. Democrat Assistant Secretary-General Thepthai Senpong called on Somchai to quickly form the Cabinet because the more time it takes, more lobbying and negotiations would occur. In the end, Somchai's Cabinet would be "uglier" than the previous one administered by Samak. He believed the reason the Cabinet was not formed quickly because the individuals who the premier approached rejected the offer. He said they may see that the current government's term may not be long, since the ruling PPP could be dissolved. The government also had to wait for the direct line from an influential figure in London, Mr Thepthai added.

Continued here:

now that's progress...

more progress evident with innovative changes to end the national division and begin reconciliation...

PM says government's polices drafted in line with those of Samak Administration

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat said he has adopted the policies of the Samak Sundaravej Administration as a model to draft the present government's policies.

The premier says the draft of the government policies has been completed and he will inform the Cabinet meeting tomorrow of the drafting process. The Cabinet will set up a committee to examine the draft before the policies are announced to the Parliament.

The premier said his administration followed the policies of the last government as he was chairman of a committee drafting the policies.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-25

Yes I think mega projects are great for Thailand. It sure is in need of them dont you think?. TO say that only politicians benefit from this is really bit silly isnt it.... I mean Thailand needs a lot of projects to develop itself to any degree to compete with the emerging neighbours. I dont see why some of u Anti-democracy PAD lovers think it is a bad thing. U obviously have no visions for Thailand except bring it back in time.

Edited by Los78

nearly 8 months ago...

and today...

The Democrat Party criticised PM Somchai Wongsawat for slowly setting up his Cabinet, adding that his selected ministers could appear "uglier" than those under the Samak administration. Democrat Assistant Secretary-General Thepthai Senpong called on Somchai to quickly form the Cabinet because the more time it takes, more lobbying and negotiations would occur. In the end, Somchai's Cabinet would be "uglier" than the previous one administered by Samak. He believed the reason the Cabinet was not formed quickly because the individuals who the premier approached rejected the offer. He said they may see that the current government's term may not be long, since the ruling PPP could be dissolved. The government also had to wait for the direct line from an influential figure in London, Mr Thepthai added.

Continued here:

now that's progress...

PM says government's polices drafted in line with those of Samak Administration

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat said he has adopted the policies of the Samak Sundaravej Administration as a model to draft the present government's policies.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-25

Yes I think mega projects are great for Thailand. It sure is in need of them dont you think?. TO say that only politicians benefit from this is really bit silly isnt it.... I mean Thailand needs a lot of projects to develop itself to any degree to compete with the emerging neighbours. I dont see why some of u Anti-democracy PAD lovers think it is a bad thing. U obviously have no visions for Thailand except bring it back in time.

I have vision enough to read that no where in any of these three different articles posted was there any mention of mega-projects.

Still, I suppose, it's always good to practice ranting.

19.jpg

New Education Minister confident he is capable to fulfill role

The newly sworn in Minister of Education affirmed confidence, on his first day of duty, in his ability to conduct the education sector while acknowledging that former Prime Minister's policy involving creative education helpful in instilling knowledge into youths.

Newly sworn in Minister of Education Srimuang Charoensiri stated that he was not concerned over taking the education post despite his background being only in telecommunications.

He affirmed confidence in his own abilities and stated that he has contacted employees of the ministry. Srimuang said that the duty of a minister was to steer his or her ministry according to government policies. He commented that he will place a focus on disadvantaged children as per his childhood allows him to relate to them.

The Education Minister admitted that he has close relationship to deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, but remarked that simply knowing a person was a normal circumstance.

He expressed his belief however that the former premier's policy on encouraging imagination and creativity was still valid. The minister also noted that his selection into the Cabinet was not based on party quota, but was the direct decision of the Prime Minister and the People Power Party who have seen him fit to take on the role.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-26

Following a brief break, a roll call was conducted and 218 MPs were at the chambers although 375 had signed their names reporting to work.

The Nation

This is the fasting month. Some of the MP cannot attend as they have to prepare Hari Raya celebration. :o

more and more positive world-wide reviews....

Thailand's new Cabinet sworn in

Bangkok - Thailand's revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej swore in the Cabinet of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat Thursday amid mounting criticism they are not up to the challenges facing the country.

Somchai, who is also serving as Defence Minister as had former prime minister Samak Sundaravej who resigned earlier this month, said the first Cabinet meeting will be held Friday and added the policies of his government will be compatible with those during the Samak administration.

Somchai, 61, was appointed September 18 after Samak lost his post on September 9 when the Constitutional Court found him guilty of illegal moonlighting by hosting television cooking shows. Sitting prime ministers are not allowed to earn income from a second job.

Earlier Somchai had said he was aware some people were not happy about his Cabinet, but stated they will work hard and not worry about the criticism.

The appointment of former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh as one of five deputy prime ministers was hoped to boost the country's support for the new cabinet. however he was not greeted with enthusiasm.

Chavalit, 76, was prime minister during the financial meltdown in 1997 and was widely believed to be out of touch with the situation at the time. *I'm sure he's much more attuned in all matters 11 years later*

This is his third time as deputy prime minister and he has been handed the tasks of addressing a border dispute with neighbouring Cambodia, the simmering unrest in the Muslim-dominated south of Thailand, and appeasing the anti-government protest group People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which has occupied the grounds around Government House since August 26.

Finance Minister Suchart Thadathamrongvech is seen by many as a poor choice because of his past run-ins with the Bank of Thailand (BoT).

To ease those fears Suchart on Wednesday said he would give BoT a free hand to implement monetary policy, but with Thailand facing a tough challenge dealing with the fallout of the financial crisis in the US the choice has worried many.

Somchai's independence is being questioned as well due as the brother-in-law of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is widely believed to be pulling the strings of the new government.

In mid-2006 PAD organized months of protests against Thaksin, who was eventually ousted in a bloodless military coup in September 2006.

The PAD and coup leaders charged Thaksin with massive corruption, dividing the nation and undermining democracy and the monarchy. He is wanted in Thailand to face corruption charges, but currently lives in exile in London.

The PAD said Samak, a political ally of Thaksin who openly campaigned as a proxy for him, was just a puppet prime minister.

They started protests in May calling for Samak's resignation after the cabinet approved a motion to amend the 2007 constitution. Protest leaders charged the amendments were aimed at clearing Thaksin of corruption charges and paving the way for his return to power. Now with Samak out of office PAD continues their protests and calls for the constitution not to be amended.

- DPA / Sep 25, 2008

Somchai Chooses Choosak....

Choosak tipped to be PM's top aide

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat on Friday confirmed that he would appoint former PM’s Office Minister Choosak Sirinin to the position of Secretary-General to the Prime Minister.

Choosak’s new assignment would be equivalent to the government’s Chief of Staff.

Somchai said the government would name former MP Nahathai Thiewpaingam as its Spokeswoman. Nahathai’s appointment is based on the quota of the People Power Party.

- The Nation / 2008-09-26

Edited by sriracha john

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat admitted yesterday that his Cabinet was far from perfect and that certain ministers were "mismatched" with their positions.

Rest from the Nation at: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/26...cs_30084439.php

So he admits it is an awful cabinet, admits he couldnt control the party plus he cant even get a quorom in parliament. Why doesnt he just come out and say it: "I am not in control of anything". Instead he begs for th usual old failures and "sleazy politicians and gangsters" to be given a chnace. Oh and when the US ambassador asked him if his government was just a stop gap one he failed to respond!

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat admitted yesterday that his Cabinet was far from perfect and that certain ministers were "mismatched" with their positions.

Rest from the Nation at: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/26...cs_30084439.php

So he admits it is an awful cabinet, admits he couldnt control the party plus he cant even get a quorom in parliament. Why doesnt he just come out and say it: "I am not in control of anything". Instead he begs for th usual old failures and "sleazy politicians and gangsters" to be given a chnace. Oh and when the US ambassador asked him if his government was just a stop gap one he failed to respond!

It would be nice that some of you give the government a chance to operate even though its not perfect. What is the perfect government? The opposition? Well they lost the elections. In the governements defence its a bit difficult when their offices are blocked by yellow sheep and a bunch of ex military gangsters beating anyone that enters governement house.

So he admits it is an awful cabinet, admits he couldnt control the party plus he cant even get a quorom in parliament.

In the governements defence its a bit difficult when their offices are blocked by yellow sheep

So, a coalition cabinet of the gerrymandered inept,

put in by the special interests or else they pull out,

then the house of cards falls again. and the election comes

before they have time to jump ship to the new false flag party,

before the current false flag party is dissolved.

Give them time to work HAH!

Let's see how far into political coffers Lil Chinchila's 100 mil goes in dad's crony land capers.

The US ambassador got the question right.

Oh yes their offices are at the airport now, moot point.

Edited by animatic

It would be nice that some of you give the government a chance to operate even though its not perfect. What is the perfect government? The opposition? Well they lost the elections. In the governements defence its a bit difficult when their offices are blocked by yellow sheep and a bunch of ex military gangsters beating anyone that enters governement house.

The reality is the government will get chance to prove itself as nobody is going to be able to move them for a month or two. However, this is a politcal thread to debate politics and as such you are going to get hard opinions and cynicism based on the past. The Thai media is also as disillusioned as many on here.

By the way I have recently taken to tacitly trying to guage Thai opinion towards the government from those who ostensibly dont talk about it amongst the groups I mix with. To date I have only spoken to townspeople in Chonburi and not surprisingly is their overwhelming dislike for the government. More surprising is the level of utter hatred or something even stronger for them. That did surprise me. Next month I am off to the rural North and intend to try the same. I expect the result in like or dislike will be different, but it will be interesting to see if the intensity of it is the same. It is all only anecdotal but it does give an idea of the size of the problem.

The reality is the government will get chance to prove itself as nobody is going to be able to move them for a month or two. However, this is a political thread to debate politics and as such you are going to get hard opinions and cynicism based on the past. The Thai *and international* media is *are* also as disillusioned as many on here.

By the way I have recently taken to tacitly trying to gauge Thai opinion towards the government from those who ostensibly don't talk about it amongst the groups I mix with. To date I have only spoken to townspeople in Chonburi and not surprisingly is their overwhelming dislike for the government. More surprising is the level of utter hatred or something even stronger for them. That did surprise me. Next month I am off to the rural North and intend to try the same. I expect the result in like or dislike will be different, but it will be interesting to see if the intensity of it is the same. It is all only anecdotal but it does give an idea of the size of the problem.

Good luck on your travels to the North next month. After 10 months, the government will hopefully have their policy committee in place then with the actual policies announced hopefully shortly thereafter.... it sure is a good thing they are "expediting" things...

Policy committee to be established to declare government stances next month

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat is expediting the establishment of his government's policy drafting committee in hopes it will be able to declare the administrations stances on the 8th of October to Parliament. He also affirmed that remedying the flood situation would be the first priority of his new government.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat yesterday stated that today's special Cabinet meeting at 9 AM at Don Muang Airport will be to erect the newly sworn in government's policy drafting committee. He stated he would chair the meeting along with his deputies and relevant agencies to prepare the policy declaration for the Parliament. He expected the committee to be ready to reveal the administrations stances on the 8th of October.

The meeting will also tackle 2-3 urgent matters, most importantly the current flood situation throughout the nation. The PM stated that a part of the 2008 national budget would have to diverted to the matter in terms of assisting those affected. Another pressing issue of the administration will be to divide responsibilities amongst the deputy prime ministers.

As for the appointing of political officials, Somchai said some positions may be decided during the meeting. When asked if former Minister of Foreign Affairs Noppadon Pattama would be placed as the Prime Minister's Secretariat, the PM declined to answer saying that only once the appointment was completed would the name be disclosed.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-26

=========================================

Somchai had said his government policies were to be the same as Samak... and it is the same coalition government that was "elected" 10 months ago.