Typing In English And Receiving In Thai

dessy

I purchased while in Bangkok and Englis/Thai keyboard and would like to know if any person knows of a conversion program. I would like to send mail to Thai people but type in English first.

Whoever invents that would make a fortune! :o

Order of Thai words in a grammatically correct sentence isn't the same as English.

If it converted word for word what you typed in English, it would be broken and the words would be in the wrong order. Kind of like what they sound like when they translate word for word Thai to English. Don't know if what you are looking for is possible.

I used translated program 5 years ago but now forgot what program was.. :o

Any using this ?

Not sure, but there was a program called "Universal Translator" that could translate from one language into another. I believe it also contained virtual on-screen keyboards. Translating from Thai>English or English>Thai usually ended up with poor results though. Most of the time the translation didn't make any sense.

I think there are some better translating programs, but they're extremely expensive.

I used translated program 5 years ago but now forgot what program was.. :o

Any using this ?

Not sure, but there was a program called "Universal Translator" that could translate from one language into another. I believe it also contained virtual on-screen keyboards. Translating from Thai>English or English>Thai usually ended up with poor results though. Most of the time the translation didn't make any sense.

I think there are some better translating programs, but they're extremely expensive.

Yes i agreed about poor result but it was ok for me as my english poor back then, even now :D

I purchased while in Bangkok and Englis/Thai keyboard and would like to know if any person knows of a conversion program. I would like to send mail to Thai people but type in English first.

So you bought a Thai keyboard thinking it would somehow help you to type in English and have it output in Thai?

On a related topic, does anyone know of any Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software that will deal with Thai script? There are some progams, e.g. ABCThai, that will do a word for word translation for Thai - English or German, but typing in the Thai script, using a virtual keybord or whatever is very time consuming an prone to errors. As far as I know, OCR programs such as Omnipage or ABBYY Fine Reader cannot parse Thai. Any suggestions?

DM

On a related topic, does anyone know of any Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software that will deal with Thai script? There are some progams, e.g. ABCThai, that will do a word for word translation for Thai - English or German, but typing in the Thai script, using a virtual keybord or whatever is very time consuming an prone to errors. As far as I know, OCR programs such as Omnipage or ABBYY Fine Reader cannot parse Thai. Any suggestions?

DM

asia online dot net is doing a lot of work in this area; waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than anything else available at the moment.

DM

I was having a look at this a few weeks ago. I believe Acrobat 8 has finally got around to a lot of the Asian languages. Check it out and please come back and tell me. It certainly does Japanese.

I tried German to English and than back to German. Which is far more simple.

The result was so weird that the guy who wrote the original text could not recognize the back translated text as his.

As well we made a contest if anyone can find out, what this text is about....no one could.

That was a simple text....difficult long sentences would make it worse.

Don't even think of English-Thai....

DM

I was having a look at this a few weeks ago. I believe Acrobat 8 has finally got around to a lot of the Asian languages. Check it out and please come back and tell me. It certainly does Japanese.

I believe that you may well be correct. I'm still on Acrobat 6 right now so I'll have to look for an upgrade to 8 or 9.

Of course, doing the OCR is only the first part of the job but would certainly make life a lot easier.

DM