Gazza Again!

Jockstar

Sorry sight as fallen hero Paul Gascoigne hunts for a drink at 9.45am

Sep 18 2008 By Lachlan Mackinnon

FEARS for Paul Gascoigne grew yesterday when he was spotted desperately trying to get into his local pub at 9.45am.

The Rangers legend cut a sorry figure as he knocked on the door of the boozer, tried to get through closed gates at the back and chapped on the windows.

Alcoholic Gazza spent 20 minutes trying to get in - even using his own keys in the door.

The 41-year-old's behaviour in his home town of Dunston, Gateshead, sparked fresh fears over his health. And it came on his first day home from a month-long European booze holiday that saw him rushed to hospital in Portugal after a pills and drink bender.

Gazza repeatedly banged on the front door of the Metz Experience pub before lighting a cigarette and trying his luck round the back.

He came back to see if his keys would unlock the front door.

He then gave up and found the nearest off-licence, where he was picked up by a taxi a few minutes later clutching a blue plastic bag containing a bottle of whisky.

One witness said: "It wasn't even 10am and Gazza was trying to go in the pub.

"He looked desperate to get in but didn't seem to understand it was closed.

"It was as if he didn't know what time of day it was.

"It was embarrassing when he tried his own keys in the pub door.

"It is such a shame to see him self destruct like this. He needs help and fast."

Former Newcastle and Spurs ace Gazza had a long history of problems even before retiring from playing football in 2004.

He admitted being treated for obsessive-compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, bulimia and alcoholism.

And the ex-England star has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act at least twice this year.

Glasgow psychiatrist Prem Misra said Gazza cuts a "sorry figure" and insisted he needed immediate treatment.

He added: "I have experience of treating people like him over the years and you can only help them once they realise they have a problem.

"He was a very talented footballer in his day but he is going downhill.

"It is the addiction, not Paul Gascoigne, that's knocking on the door of the pub and buying whisky early in the morning."

However, he added: "When he's been given help in the past and felt better he has gone and started drinking again.

"Being certified for treatment on an involuntary basis again could give him a chance to get better."

Personally, I don't give a 5h1t.

u must b a are--ole then

You could not be more wrong! Have you ever lived with an alcoholic? Have you ever lost everything you ever worked for? Been rehoused in a very bad part of town? Walked on eggshells for years? Been physically and mentally abused by an alcoholic?

• 7 months later...

And now for some good news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...lack-white.html

PICTURE SPECIAL: Newcastle fans' sight for sore eyes - Gazza back in Toon black and white

Newcastle may be three points adrift at the bottom of the Barclays Premier League table but at least Toon hero Gazza is back in black and white.

The former Newcastle, Tottenham, Lazio and England midfielder played in a charity game at his local ground of Dunston Federation FC at the weekend - his second match in as many days.

More than 3,000 fans flocked to see the gifted midfielder play in a charity match for cash-strapped League Two side Darlington.

Gazza led an All Stars side to a 5-3 win against a Darlington XI and capped his hour-long run out with a goal.

He said: 'I haven't played for three-and-a-half years but turned out because it's a good cause.'

The 41-year-old claimed last week in an exclusive Sportsmail interview that he had rediscovered his appetite for the game after three years away from football - and these pictures show he means business.

article-0-04CED051000005DC-787_468x403_popup.jpg

article-0-04CED061000005DC-165_224x423.jpgarticle-0-04CED232000005DC-684_224x423.jpg

Edited by sanmiguel

good to see that, thanks for posting. he does look about fuc_king 60 years old though.

I think its because he is so thin and gaunt where as he is naturally chubby, if he put a bit of weight on he'd look more normal ......... ive just read that sentence back and <deleted> me i sound like Richard Madeley.

Edited by sanmiguel

This is VERY GOOD NEWS...for a change

How English fooball, at international level, could do with a Gazza now.

St Alex Ferguson has said one of his great regrets was not having Gazza at United. He thought he had him but Gazza went elsewhere. Maybe Fergusons renowned man management skills might just have saved him from self destruction.

St Alex Ferguson has said one of his great regrets was not having Gazza at United. He thought he had him but Gazza went elsewhere. Maybe Fergusons renowned man management skills might just have saved him from self destruction.

Possibly he's have stoof more chance, Terry Venables was certainly the worst manager for him, it always seemed to me like he was like Chris Evans and the gang who wanted to hang off Gazza's coattails.

• 4 weeks later...

He's at it again :D

Just seen pictures in The Sun of him being helped off a train at Newcastle staition by his mate Jimmy Fivebellies....absolutley shit faced.

He was supposed to play in a charity game but cried off with a knee injury.

It's not his knees that seem to be the problem...he's legless :)

Bloody shame...hope he can get himself sorted out again, he turned his life around in 6 months, and has pissed it away again.....how many chances does your body give you? :D

I know its been said beofre, but its got to be the worst thing about being full blown alcoholic in that most of them can never have a drink again without a likelyhood of ending in a state like this.

He'll end up brown bread at some point because of it he seems as if he's got it in him.

• 8 months later...

Yes they just might.

Contrary to some other posts Gazza is very worthy of sympathy. He is a very sick man and the drinking binges are partly a result of these illnesses, bipolar disorder, OCD and the likes. As MB rightly said, where are his friends and family? Very tragic.

Where are his friends and family? The problem is you can not monitor an adult 24/7, and if he wants to go drinking nobody can stop him. As has been said he is an alcoholic, a very sick individual, and only when he recognises his problem and wants to do something about it will he start to improve. Otherwise he will just drink himself to death. I have experience of living with an alcoholic and it is a nightmare.

• 7 months later...

FALLEN IDOL

Troubled Gazza on new drink-drive charge

By ESPNsoccernet staff

October 11, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

England legend Paul Gascoigne is to face a drink-driving charge after he was arrested by police in Newcastle.

The 43-year-old, who has battled against a drink problem and underwent a 28-day rehab programme at the Sporting Chance Clinic, was stopped by officers in the Jesmond area of Newcastle on Friday afternoon.

Gascoigne was breathalysed and charged with drink-driving and will appear at Newcastle Magistrates' Court on October 20.

The former Newcastle United, Tottenham, Lazio, Rangers, Middlesbrough and Everton player faces a separate drink-driving charge dating back to February, which will be heard next month.

Last week, Gascoigne was lined up to become boss of Garforth Town, in the Evo-Stik First Division North League, but he failed to turn up for the club's first match against Warrington Town and pulled out of the deal.

A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "A 43-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving in the Jesmond area at around 2.45pm on Friday October 8.

"He was charged with driving with excess alcohol and bailed to appear before Newcastle Magistrates on October 20."

Idiot !!

Drink Driving, for the umpteenth time = W*nker

We can make allowances for him though as he hasn't got a brain and less of a brain when he's drinking ;)

I hope no allowances are made whatsoever. The bloke is a danger to himself and everyone around him. Ban him for a long long time. ;)

The first steps to beating Alcoholism Stevie is admitting to yourself that you have a problem..

He's so stupid he can't even do that..

I have no time for the Mna, he's a fcukign Idiot & is also a danger to other people via his stupidity/selfishness as he drives Cars drunk, very drunk..

I'm more worried about other people than him to be honest..

The first steps to beating Alcoholism Stevie is admitting to yourself that you have a problem..

I have no time for the Mna, he's a fcukign Idiot & is also a danger to other people via his stupidity/selfishness as he drives Cars drunk, very drunk..

I hear what you are saying but, theres a lot more to his problems. He has Bipolar Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disoder. The prior illness creates the alcoholic binges, mood swings and erratic behaviour which he cannot control without professional help. This isn't an excuse for his actions, its a reality of his condition.

My feeling are, <deleted> are his so called friends and family doing? Disgraceful.

Stevie is right when he suggests that if he does'nt get help soon it will end the worst possible way. An "intervention" by caring family and friends would lead to him being sectioned and would hopefully lead to the possibility of a happier future.

I hear what you are saying but, theres a lot more to his problems. He has Bipolar Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disoder. The prior illness creates the alcoholic binges, mood swings and erratic behaviour which he cannot control without professional help. This isn't an excuse for his actions, its a reality of his condition.

My feeling are, <deleted> are his so called friends and family doing? Disgraceful.

Stevie is right when he suggests that if he does'nt get help soon it will end the worst possible way. An "intervention" by caring family and friends would lead to him being sectioned and would hopefully lead to the possibility of a happier future.

It wouldn't be the first time by a long way however I agree its the only way to sort out his problems. Not talking about a week in the Priory either but a long term change of lifestyle.