Redeeming Star Alliance Airmiles

VTR1000

I have a question and I hope that someone out there will be able to answer it for me. The question is this:

My father has 179,000 airmiles that expire in March next year and he wants to give them to me. These airmiles were gained through the 'Voyager' program of South African Airlines or whatever they're called now. On their website it states that these airmiles can be reeemed for flights on any of the airlines within Star Alliance and apparently they can also be 'given' to other family members, ie: me.

Does anybody have experience on this matter?

You may save time by directing your query direct to SAA and their FF program. Although they are part of the Star Alliance, each member airline has subtle differences on what can be done with miles earned on a 'partner' program. I would think you would need your own SAA FF account first.

I wish you success and hope SAA respond quickly. I used to earn my Star Alliance miles via UA but their customer service is so bad, I have 'burned off' virtually all the reward travel earned with them and now use my Thai FF account. Despite recent tales of poor customer service at Thai, I will give them the same benefit of the doubt that I accorded UA before.

Maybe have a read, and/or post, in this forum:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=471

Then maybe have a look through the T's & C's of the Voager programme:

http://ww3.flysaa.com/voyager/Programme_Guide/start.htm

I did see this:

"Expiry of Miles

Miles are valid for three years after the year in which they were earned. Miles due to expire will always be reflected on your Mileage Summary. Awards can be requested before Miles expire and can be used anytime within 12 months of date of issue. However, if they are not used within this period they will be forfeited. Miles will expire each year on 31 March. However, if by the end of the preceding calendar year, you had flown a minimum of 5 000 Tier Miles on South African Airways only or spent R40 000 on your Voyager Crdeit Card, Miles due to expire in the current year will be carried over to the next year, and will remain valid for a further 12 months."

and this:

http://ww3.flysaa.com/voyager/Programme_Gu...ding_frame.html

and this:

http://ww3.flysaa.com/voyager/Programme_Gu...ance_frame.html

Off the top of my head I'd say that the miles are not directly transferable into another Voyager account excpet perhaps upon death, but as mentioned your father could have an award ticket issued in your name for your use. You/he might also consider options for extending the expiration of the currently held mileage balance. Sometimes this is as easy as crediting a single Star Alliance (*A) segment, or maybe using an affiliated credit card.

UA/MP remains, for me at least, the ideal frequent flyer programme for a large number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that they do not add fuel surcharges on any award tickets. I just redeemed a first class BKK-USA-BKK award, on TG and LH, and paid a whopping $47.25, and 140,000 miles. The same award on LH or TG would have required at least $600 in fuel surcharges,and in the case of LH 240,000 miles.

Edited by lomatopo
no direct links to outside forums please--sbk