Bts Extension, Udomsuk Station

iyah

It will open on 12 August or just after save for any last minute major problem (always probable).

Up until a few months ago it was going to be late 2011 but the installation of the electricals and systems is going well after the whole tendering debacle in late 09. The tender stated that the contractor had to finish the works within by 15 May 2011. The BMA has recently confirmed that works will be completed by May according to the contractor and then 3 months testing. The BMA last month signed a contract with BTSC to operate the extension (similar to contract for BTSC to operate the 2.2km Wong Wian Yai ext).

The introduction of the CNR 4 car sets on the Silom line and the eventual running of the 3 car sets on the Suk line has no impact on the opening of this ext. The 2 billion baht deal signed by BTSC with Siemens last Oct purchasing new 35 extra one cars to make all the 35 Siemens 3 car sets to 4 cars will take 2.5 years to be delivered. I doubt that any will be delivered before the Soi Bearing ext opens - perhaps 1 or a few?

Does anyone know if this 12 Aug 2011 opening for the BTS Bearing Extension is still on schedule?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will open on 12 August or just after save for any last minute major problem (always probable).

Up until a few months ago it was going to be late 2011 but the installation of the electricals and systems is going well after the whole tendering debacle in late 09. The tender stated that the contractor had to finish the works within by 15 May 2011. The BMA has recently confirmed that works will be completed by May according to the contractor and then 3 months testing. The BMA last month signed a contract with BTSC to operate the extension (similar to contract for BTSC to operate the 2.2km Wong Wian Yai ext).

The introduction of the CNR 4 car sets on the Silom line and the eventual running of the 3 car sets on the Suk line has no impact on the opening of this ext. The 2 billion baht deal signed by BTSC with Siemens last Oct purchasing new 35 extra one cars to make all the 35 Siemens 3 car sets to 4 cars will take 2.5 years to be delivered. I doubt that any will be delivered before the Soi Bearing ext opens - perhaps 1 or a few?

Does anyone know if this 12 Aug 2011 opening for the BTS Bearing Extension is still on schedule?

As of now, yes it is. Testing starts in June, an update was posted on the main thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page__pid__4306972__st__25#entry4306972

Also, I'm sure I remember reading that the Sukhumvit Line would start using the new 4-carriage trains in April, is that still happening does anyone know?

It may have been misreported, may have misread or just normal PR optimism by some official? Have a peruse of the last para in the quote box above your post. More likely next year you'll start seeing 4 car sets.

The latest news I heard was that these were to be open before Christmas this year, but that is yet to have any weight. I have read these posts and many of you think 2011 will be the date, so I guess there is nothing clear. I have checked the BTS site and no news there of any value.

Its so western of me to think of a schedule and sticking to it... oh well.....

Cheers

C

While I'd welcome a Christmas, 2010 opening I must say that the last official (BMA: Bangkok Metropolitan Administration) word was an opening date of 15 May 2011. Most people, rail enthusiasts; Thai forums, etc., are talking about the end of 2011 (maybe Christmas, 2011 :lol: ).

It may be western to think of a schedule, but sticking to it? I lived through the Big Dig. No schedule slips, cost overruns there. :whistling: No extra charge for the leaks, though.

Having missed the auspicious date of the King's Birthday on December 5th 2010, (probably opening some other high profile project like the sluice gates), the next possible auspicious date will be the birthday of the Queen, so let us hope that the posters advertising this are correct. Otherwise the extension will be rusty before it actually opens.

Presumably they have reached agreement about who gets which payoff regarding the project and the rolling stock purchase, so there should be no further reason to delay..

The extension is slated to start "testing" in June and should open on the Queen's birthday this year (August 12 I believe it is)... not sure if testing means it will be open to pax on a reduced fee basis (like when the extension to Thonburi / WWY opened) or not.

• 2 weeks later...
The latest news I heard was that these were to be open before Christmas this year, but that is yet to have any weight. I have read these posts and many of you think 2011 will be the date, so I guess there is nothing clear. I have checked the BTS site and no news there of any value.

Its so western of me to think of a schedule and sticking to it... oh well.....

Cheers

C

While I'd welcome a Christmas, 2010 opening I must say that the last official (BMA: Bangkok Metropolitan Administration) word was an opening date of 15 May 2011. Most people, rail enthusiasts; Thai forums, etc., are talking about the end of 2011 (maybe Christmas, 2011 :lol: ).

It may be western to think of a schedule, but sticking to it? I lived through the Big Dig. No schedule slips, cost overruns there. :whistling: No extra charge for the leaks, though.

Having missed the auspicious date of the King's Birthday on December 5th 2010, (probably opening some other high profile project like the sluice gates), the next possible auspicious date will be the birthday of the Queen, so let us hope that the posters advertising this are correct. Otherwise the extension will be rusty before it actually opens.

Presumably they have reached agreement about who gets which payoff regarding the project and the rolling stock purchase, so there should be no further reason to delay..

The extension is slated to start "testing" in June and should open on the Queen's birthday this year (August 12 I believe it is)... not sure if testing means it will be open to pax on a reduced fee basis (like when the extension to Thonburi / WWY opened) or not.

Testing means no pax.

The Silom line ext was differnt politically as the BMA, who funded it,needed the good PR of%

Edited by Lakegeneve

Have all 35 3-car Siemens trains been deployed on the Sukhumvit line? It seems like interval times get down to 2 ~ 3 minutes, and you can see two trains at adjacent stations (Nana and Asoke, for example), often so I'm thinking they must have added at least some of the 3-car sets previously used on the Silom line. I' have also been on trains which have to stop mid-station, and I never experienced this before in ~ 2,000+ trips.

I assume all five new stations (Bang Chak, Punnawithi, Udom Suk, Bang Na and Bearing) will open on 12 August 2011? I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised that this extension is opening so soon, knocking on wood, as I assumed it would have opened much later.

It looks like they are building some sort of enclosed walkway/structure between BiTEC and the Bearing BTS stop, which should be good.

I have to say the new signalling and control system, or its implementation, is very poor. Before, acceleration and deceleration were always smooth between stations, and on curves. Now trains seem to lurch down the line, slowing down, speeding up at various points between stations. And trains seem to accelerate (lurch forward) just before entering a station, and then decelerate abruptly. Other observations: the new 4-car sets make a horrendously loud screeching noise when braking, the door closing buzzer on the 4-car trains is distinctly different for the 3-car trains which may confuse riders, the doors bang loudly when closing (similar to the SARL) and the overhead hand-rails are ~ 10 cm lower which causes problems for taller people entering the cars.

I have been on one of the newer trains. I wasn't paying attention but the gf said that this upcoming BTS train was new. I didn't figure it out until I was inside and the interior was different. They also have an electronic station map above the doors like they do in HK/Malaysia. The new stations after Ohnut were on the map.

WHat about the line into THonburi? The tracks continue almost to Phetkasem, but the maps show only two stops in Thonburi, with the last one at Wongwian Yai.

Forget the ridiculous fact that you have to change trains at Sapan Taksin, and forget the fact that there is no way to drive to the end of the line, park anywhere, and then hop on the train, but it seems weird that the tracks continue for another 5 km, and at the Mall Bang Khae, they have a billboard showing the NTS stopping there.

Have all 35 3-car Siemens trains been deployed on the Sukhumvit line? It seems like interval times get down to 2 ~ 3 minutes, and you can see two trains at adjacent stations (Nana and Asoke, for example), often so I'm thinking they must have added at least some of the 3-car sets previously used on the Silom line. I' have also been on trains which have to stop mid-station, and I never experienced this before in ~ 2,000+ trips.

I assume all five new stations (Bang Chak, Punnawithi, Udom Suk, Bang Na and Bearing) will open on 12 August 2011? I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised that this extension is opening so soon, knocking on wood, as I assumed it would have opened much later.

It looks like they are building some sort of enclosed walkway/structure between BiTEC and the Bearing BTS stop, which should be good.

Yes lomatopo, all of the 3 cars sets on the silom line were moved to the suk line (save for when some went back whilst the new CNR built 4 car sets were having compatibility probs with the new open Bombadier signalling system). All 35 3 cars sets now operate on Suk line which have increased frequency during peak periods from 2:40 to 2:20. As mentioned a previous post, as the 1 cars are delivered from Siemens they will be gradually added to make 35 4 car sets over the next 2 years on the Suk line. (I'm note sure what the plan is once the WWY to Phetkasem ext opens in Dec 2012 as BTSC will need extra rolling stock)

Yes all 5 stations will open at once.

BITEC announced 2 yrs ago that they would build a pedestrian link to Bearing station so it sounds like they have started work on it.

WHat about the line into THonburi? The tracks continue almost to Phetkasem, but the maps show only two stops in Thonburi, with the last one at Wongwian Yai.

Forget the ridiculous fact that you have to change trains at Sapan Taksin, and forget the fact that there is no way to drive to the end of the line, park anywhere, and then hop on the train, but it seems weird that the tracks continue for another 5 km, and at the Mall Bang Khae, they have a billboard showing the NTS stopping there.

An update on the Phetkasem ext is posted here, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page__pid__4306972__st__25#entry4306972.

There will be car parks at a couple of the stations (once of which will have a major interchange with the BRT). Work started a 2 months ago. The line will terminate at Phetkasem road where there will be a link with the Blue Line. (It won't to the Mall but the Blue Line will)

Yes all 5 stations will open at once.

So all 5 stations past On Nut will open in August? I didn't know that. Looks like things could get a bit congested then...

With ~ 50 + % added capacity (12 3-car sets added to the existing 23 3-car sets for a total of 35 3-car sets plying the Sukhumvit line) congestion may well be off-set by increased capacity/frequency, for the time period until an extra car is added to all 35 sets?

FWIW, I did notice "sealed" sets on the Sukhumvit line yesterday. That is to say, outbound (towards On Nut) at Nana, with an outbound train at Asoke, a train rolled in to Nana (so a ~ 90 second interval). The doors were sealed, with round stickers, "special train", so no one could board. I guess they are running the current line with extra sets (more than 23 but perhaps less than 35) just to get a feel for spacing? An accessible outbound train arrived ~ 2.5 minutes later.

Edited by lomatopo

A side note - all stations can fit in 5 carriage trains, I wonder if they'll ever add a 5th?

I am pretty sure the platforms were designed to accommodate six car sets. So one would assume that as ridership increases additional cars would get added.

A side note - all stations can fit in 5 carriage trains, I wonder if they'll ever add a 5th?

I am pretty sure the platforms were designed to accommodate six car sets. So one would assume that as ridership increases additional cars would get added.

There are designed for 6 car sets. However, all will need a slight reconfigeration as there are emergency exits at either end of the platform.

• 3 weeks later...

After the debacle of the tests last week ,Tues (2hrs) and Wed, causing a long shutdown on the Silom line it seems the BMA is keen to proceed with a promotional FREE fare from opening in Aug until the end of the year. It would operate similar to what occured when the 2.2km Silom line ext opened, ie. travel to and from any of the stations new stations would be free to/from On Nut station.

It does seems silly really as the BMA needs the revenue especially given as the line is being opened late. However, the belated opening and last weeks signalling problems extending to the rest of the network I guess the BMA need the good PR of free travel.

Trials will continue ad hoc with full trials from 16 June to opening date.

Last week, the Bangkok Post announced that during the testing period from June 16th, the BTS extension will open for passengers free of charge.

Last week, the Bangkok Post announced that during the testing period from June 16th, the BTS extension will open for passengers free of charge.

Actually, the trials won't be open to anybody, as I understand it. They are testing the trains and tracks ready for opening on August 12th. The service from Bearing to On Nut will run free of charge from August 12th until January 1st, meaning going from Bearing to the middle of Bangkok will only cost me 40 baht, saving me a taxi to On Nut and then hopping on the BTS. Can't wait!

Actually, the trials won't be open to anybody, as I understand it. They are testing the trains and tracks ready for opening on August 12th. The service from Bearing to On Nut will run free of charge from August 12th until January 1st, meaning going from Bearing to the middle of Bangkok will only cost me 40 baht, saving me a taxi to On Nut and then hopping on the BTS. Can't wait!

Really the main thing is that the darn thing opens soon. If you live anywhere close to the extension, you know that the stations were starting to show wear and tear since they actually were finished a long time ago. Most thai people I've talked to say the delay is all about money changing hands. Thai people see it everyday and take it in stride. If there's another delay, then its likely the same thing is happening all over again.

Really the main thing is that the darn thing opens soon. If you live anywhere close to the extension, you know that the stations were starting to show wear and tear since they actually were finished a long time ago. Most thai people I've talked to say the delay is all about money changing hands. Thai people see it everyday and take it in stride. If there's another delay, then its likely the same thing is happening all over again.

If oyu read back through the thread you will see a detailed explanation as to the absurdly unique reason why the ext is opening late. All porjects in Thailand have "money changing hands". However, that is not the reason for the delay in this case.

Yes full trials means no pax, just that the BTS will trail test something approximating a full schedule.

@mauiguy90 I wouldn't trust all that you read in the Post especially when it comes to Transport issues. The post transport reporter regularly gets facts wrong or the sub-editors edit it badly.

Yes full trials means no pax, just that the BTS will trail test something approximating a full schedule.

@mauiguy90 I wouldn't trust all that you read in the Post especially when it comes to Transport issues. The post transport reporter regularly gets facts wrong or the sub-editors edit it badly.

I honestly can't wait for the BTS to open to Bearing, it will change my life here quite dramatically in terms of going out to eat at night. Plus it means easy trips to the shopping malls should I get bored after work just lazing about at home (ah, the life of a teacher! :D). I really hope that this time things remain on track, if you'll pardon the pun.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news about this project ?

A friend of mine would like to rent a condo in this area but only if the BTS is ready. How many years delayed already?

• 2 weeks later...

Any news about this project ?

A friend of mine would like to rent a condo in this area but only if the BTS is ready. How many years delayed already?

Plenty of news, just read through this thread to answer both of your queries.

• 1 month later...

I live in Prawet district, close to Ramkhamhaeng 2. The nearest station to me is Udom Suk, Bang-Na is also good for me. Does anyone know if they have thought about such things as car parking? <_<

jb1

Nope. And I live 150 m from the Udomsuk station

I live in Prawet district, close to Ramkhamhaeng 2. The nearest station to me is Udom Suk, Bang-Na is also good for me. Does anyone know if they have thought about such things as car parking? <_<

jb1

The point of the BTS is to alleviate traffic in Bangkok, as far as I can tell. They don't need people driving to the BTS and then jumping on it, why would they bother? With the amount of cheap public transportation available, it would go against the idea of the BTS. I live about 600 meters from the BTS, and I'm glad they aren't building car parks next to it. The traffic would be terrible - just look at On Nut (but I'm aware that car park is for Lotus and not the BTS).