Bts Extension, Udomsuk Station

iyah

Perhaps they just need to add another carriage or two to the trains (make them longer) to help offset the increase in passengers... quite a simplistic idea but could work!

They needed that already.. The trains seem to be rammed day and night. I think they don't want to pay for the extra rolling stock. At least not of the German variety that has served them well since the system opened.

It wasn't for a lack of want, it was due to a lack of dosh. This is the problem with having a private operator. The original plan circa 99 called for extra rolling stock by 03/04 when it was originally thought the WWY ext would opne and works would commence on the Chongsi to Rama III ext and the Mo Chit to Kaset ext.

However, BTSC didn't have the funds due to a singificant amount of debt and of course due to a combination of Thaksin wanting to nationalise the BTSC and the WWY ext being delayed, no exts were completed for a few years. BTSC thought they could purchase new rolling stock in 05 but they had to complete a debt restructuring which took some time so it was not until 07 that the 12 CNR sets were ordered.

Delivery was meant to be Jan 09 which was delayed until Oct 09 which was delayed further until June 10 and finally they eventually went into service at the end of 2010.

The BMCL (operator of the subway/MRT) has a similar lack of funds due to debt servicing and has twice deferred pruchasing new rolling stock since 07.

The SRT also wants to purchase 4 more Cityline sets to go with the current 5 so that it can increase the frequency of the service but funds have yet to be allocated.

In short, if you are feeling the squeeze on the BTS, MRT or Cityline it is due to all 3 operators not having enough funds to purchase new stock.

It highlights why having multiple private operators with an unintergrated ticketing system is a stupid operating model. PT is considering intergrating all in order to fulfill their unrealistic 20 baht flat fare election promise. I seriously doubt they will get to do either.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last post was right on the money. People forget that BTS is run for profit by a private company. Their primary interest is maximizing profit, not passenger comfort or convenience.

It shows..

I'm sure there is some kind of pressure/incentive that could be applied. Afterall, they must have jumped through hoops to build the system they have.

Today was another Awful day on the train, the last few days were kinda ok, very busy and I've had to adopt a more forceful 'im pushing onto the train' approach, but today, far too many people waiting on the platform and had to wait 15mins before i could get to the front of the queue and get on the train.

:(

That last post was right on the money. People forget that BTS is run for profit by a private company. Their primary interest is maximizing profit, not passenger comfort or convenience.

It shows..

I'm sure there is some kind of pressure/incentive that could be applied. Afterall, they must have jumped through hoops to build the system they have.

I agree, one would think there would be specific contractual obligations regarding investment and service in exchange for the monopoly, but........