Bts Extension, Udomsuk Station

iyah

Sounds Good... :huh:

jump on the red bus (No 23 )from Samut Prat for Free,pick up the SkyT at Bearing to On-Nut ..also Free and then a couple of S"tang to my local gin joint near Asok ...cant be bad...

now if only the beer was as above ..Free... :DB) ...getting there..

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Prawet district, close to Ramkhamhaeng 2. The nearest station to me is Udom Suk, Bang-Na is also good for me. Does anyone know if they have thought about such things as car parking? <_<

jb1

The point of the BTS is to alleviate traffic in Bangkok, as far as I can tell. They don't need people driving to the BTS and then jumping on it, why would they bother? With the amount of cheap public transportation available, it would go against the idea of the BTS. I live about 600 meters from the BTS, and I'm glad they aren't building car parks next to it. The traffic would be terrible - just look at On Nut (but I'm aware that car park is for Lotus and not the BTS).

Obviously there is a lot of parking space at/near BiTEC, and it looks like there is some sort of connector being built between BiTEC and the Bearing BTS terminus. Maybe there will be some commuter parking there? Otherwise, it is a pretty quick taxi ride from Ram2 via the Bang Na - Trat, onto Sukhumvit Road and the Udom Suk BTS station, typically ~ 15 minutes and 70 baht. I make this trip several times each week, and am looking forward to the extension opening, rather than going all the way to On Nut BTS. They've been doing a lot of work (bridge/khlong repair) on Udom Suk between Srinakarin and Sukhumvit, so traffic on that route has been quite bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Only 2 weeks now until the belated opening of the On Nut to Soi Bearing ext.

People may have noticed that BTSC is already well advanced in updating new network maps at stations and reconfiguring coin ticket machine dispeners to cater for future price increases. There are now 5 40 baht buttons with the extra 4 catering for increases to 60 baht which the BTSC has argued to the government that it should aldready be allowed to charge.

Of course, the BMA would not allow that with the new extension anytime in the near future and with Phue Thais populist, cycnical election promise of a flat rate of 20 baht on all lines the BTSC only needed to install two buttons for their coin ticket machines! ;)

The Sukhumvit Line, on 30 July (Saturday) seemed to be experiencing severe problems, perhaps as a result of operational changes in anticipation of the opening of the Bearing extension. Train wait times varied from 20 minutes to 1 minute; trains completely full (passengers left on the platform), and the platforms at Siam were completely full. They have been running sealed trains on the Sukhumvit line previously but I have not seen any of these in recent weeks. Maybe they are adding train sets, and using them now, in an effort to adjust to the expected frequencies? Not sure that's possible until the extension actually opens? It helps that it will open on a holiday, a Friday at that. I am looking forward to the opening as I go to Bang Na, Pra Wet, Dokmai, Bang Phli often so this will speed up my travel times considerably.

The Sukhumvit Line, on 30 July (Saturday) seemed to be experiencing severe problems, perhaps as a result of operational changes in anticipation of the opening of the Bearing extension. Train wait times varied from 20 minutes to 1 minute; trains completely full (passengers left on the platform), and the platforms at Siam were completely full. They have been running sealed trains on the Sukhumvit line previously but I have not seen any of these in recent weeks. Maybe they are adding train sets, and using them now, in an effort to adjust to the expected frequencies? Not sure that's possible until the extension actually opens? It helps that it will open on a holiday, a Friday at that. I am looking forward to the opening as I go to Bang Na, Pra Wet, Dokmai, Bang Phli often so this will speed up my travel times considerably.

Funny as I caught the BTS twice on Sat afternoon and the service was running as per normal. However, I have heard from other users that there have been sporadic problems in recent weeks with inconsistent headway times. Still ironing out bugs with the new signalling system? The extra sets from the Silom line allows the BTSC to decrease the scheduled headway from 2:38 during peak to around 2:15-2:20, I can't imagine they will run under 2:00 anytime in the near future but it may occur?

People may have noticed that BTSC is already well advanced in updating new network maps at stations and reconfiguring coin ticket machine dispeners to cater for future price increases. There are now 5 40 baht buttons with the extra 4 catering for increases to 60 baht which the BTSC has argued to the government that it should aldready be allowed to charge.

Not seen any updated maps actually, only really been checking inside the trains though - all of which show stations as far as On Nut (apart from the new 4-car Silom line trains of course).

Has there been any official (or unofficial for that matter) announcement on these proposed fare increases?

there have been sporadic problems in recent weeks with inconsistent headway times.

Yesterday at Siam outbound for On Nut I arrived on the platform as a train pulled out. Less than 60 seconds later another train pulled in! We had to wait ~ 2 minutes with the doors open before departing.

But yes, running much smoother Sun, Mon, Tue and today. It looks like they are running trains all the way to Bearing, and back as at On Nut today trains were not reversing direction there. Outbound trains at On Nut continued on to Bang Chak, and the next train in bound could be seen at Bang Chak. Not sure where the next switch-over point is after On Nut, or if they might be using it? Interval times seem to be on schedule (published on most platforms). Not sure how many sets they are currently running, presumably not all 35 but maybe 30-ish?

As an aside, I noticed, for the first time ever on Monday, what appeared to be uneven, jerky, bumpy initial acceleration out of a station, on both the Sukhumvit and Silom lines. It was also raining heavily. I have never noticed this phenomenon before. It felt a bit like you do in a car losing a bit of traction on a wet road when accelerating.

Some guy who was trying to sell my friend a condo near Udom Suk was telling us that is WILL be open by the 14th of this month... 555+

No way the Bearing extension will open on the 14th, that's utter BS. It will open on the 12th. :whistling:

Those people who use Onnut are gonna be pissed - no more seats by the time the train gets to them

On the MRT some people bound for Bang Sue get on at Sam Yan for a seat and the turn at Hua Lumphong. ;)

It may take a while but given the new fare structure (free) I suspect there will be no seats in-bound at On Nut, save less-than-peak travel times. There were open seats today from Ploen Chit outbound to On Nut, ~ 12:15.

I have given the bts a hard time from time to time over the years (outages, cramped trains, too loud in trains ads-the list goes on), but couldn't imagine life here now with out it. True it was designed to get commoners off the road and allow the bmws, mercs more room, but anyone here pre 2000 will remember the good old days of 2 hour trips by car, so hats off to the bts; the biggest improvement in bkk since 3G.

Obviously there is a lot of parking space at/near BiTEC, and it looks like there is some sort of connector being built between BiTEC and the Bearing BTS terminus. Maybe there will be some commuter parking there? Otherwise, it is a pretty quick taxi ride from Ram2 via the Bang Na - Trat, onto Sukhumvit Road and the Udom Suk BTS station, typically ~ 15 minutes and 70 baht. I make this trip several times each week, and am looking forward to the extension opening, rather than going all the way to On Nut BTS. They've been doing a lot of work (bridge/khlong repair) on Udom Suk between Srinakarin and Sukhumvit, so traffic on that route has been quite bad.

Hi Loma. They are building a fly under near the Novotel Srinakarin. Srinakarin will fly under Udom Suk. Then past Seacon heading North to Pattanakarn they are widening, filling the central klong & concreting Srinakarin. It is a colossal mess. I did notice a lot of construction at BITEC & it's logical now that they are connecting BITEC to the new BangNa station. (Not Bearing). Poor little 101/1 - we didn't get a station.

Edited by snarky66

On Nut was absolute chaos this morning, we were almost forced to barge past people when approaching the top of the escalator. Luckily a lot of people could pile into the empty trains as they arrived. God knows what will happen when these trains have been picking people up for 5 stations already...whistling.gif

On Nut was absolute chaos this morning, we were almost forced to barge past people when approaching the top of the escalator. Luckily a lot of people could pile into the empty trains as they arrived. God knows what will happen when these trains have been picking people up for 5 stations already...

Don't worry the BTS management are aware of this and have ordered longer trains, an extra carriage, think they should be delivered in two years.

What about the new government's promise of a 20 Baht flat fare, don't suppose that could increase passenger numbers, or could it?

There already is a flat rate of 20 Baht per trip if you buy 45 trip pass...

Indeed there is, pretty good value for the regular traveller, but if the policy is implemented for all it will, no doubt, increase the number of non regular travellers.

On Nut was absolute chaos this morning, we were almost forced to barge past people when approaching the top of the escalator. Luckily a lot of people could pile into the empty trains as they arrived. God knows what will happen when these trains have been picking people up for 5 stations already...whistling.gif

A lot of them won't be using On Nut any more. They'll be boarding at stations nearer home once they open.

Interval times were messed up again yesterday (Thursday), with announcements made. I think they are still sorting out the integration of the additional 3-car sets. It has been working well at times so I'm confident they'll figure it out.

The BTS have used 23 3-car sets on the Sukhumvit Line. I'm no rail enthusiast but by adding 7 (or more, maybe they need 10 more?) of the 12 3-car sets available from the Silom Line, and keeping the same interval times (these vary throughout the day, from ~ 2:30 to 5:30 approx.), they should be able to service the new stations and accommodate more riders. Thirty-five cars have been ordered from Siemens to increase all 35 sets to 4 car trains, the platforms can ultimately accommodate six-car trains, although some platforms may need to be modified.

Student 30-day passes range from 15 to 18 baht per ride.

Adult 30-day passes range from 20 to 23 baht per ride.

A lot of them won't be using On Nut any more. They'll be boarding at stations nearer home once they open.

That, of course, does not equate to either a lack of a seat at On Nut, or increased ridership, in and of itself. If we assume everyone went to On Nut before, then the same number of riders will now be more evenly distributed across the new stations. However I think it is safe to say that ridership figures will increase, if only accounting for Bearing <--> On-Nut (intra) travel.

And the Department of Land Transportation will be easier to get to. :D

Edited by lomatopo

^ There's one behind Seacon Square as well (not sure if it's full-size actually - what defines full-size anyway?)

Never been to the one in Seacon Sq. Will have to check it out. From About.com hockey:

A standard NHL rink is 200 feet long and 85 feet wide, with goal lines 11 feet from the end boards.

International ice is 210 feet long and 98 feet wide. Goal lines are 13 feet from the end boards.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the one at Imperial World Samron is more NHL size than International/Olympic size. The width seems more like the ones I played on back home (N. America).

The rinks in Esplanade, Imperial World Lad Prao (if it's still there), Central World, and the new one in Discovery center are all way too small.

Edited by dekestone

That, of course, does not equate to either a lack of a seat at On Nut, or increased ridership, in and of itself. If we assume everyone went to On Nut before, then the same number of riders will now be more evenly distributed across the new stations. However I think it is safe to say that ridership figures will increase, if only accounting for Bearing <--> On-Nut (intra) travel.

And the Department of Land Transportation will be easier to get to. :D

It equates to less of a scrum at On Nut at peak times..

So who's planning on riding on Friday?

A press release in the related thread mentions a ceremonial first train at 5:15.

I have to return from Ram2 Friday afternoon so will ride in from Bang Na station, or Udom Suk station.

I am one of those who will start using the train at Punnawitthi (spelling?) station instead of Onnut. It should cut down my travel time quite a bit. However, the boys in orange (win motocy) are going to suffer as they will no longer be used as a shuttle service to Onnut. I expect a 20 to 30 percent reduction in their numbers in Soi 101 over three or four months.

So who's planning on riding on Friday?

A press release in the related thread mentions a ceremonial first train at 5:15.

I might give it a go out of curiosity (BTW, I assumed that first ceremonial train was 5:15 am, but do you think it's actually 5:15pm?). I get on at On Nut now and that will still probably remain my most convenient station.

Just a quick trip report: boarded at Udom Suk in-bound. The station at Udom Suk is quite nice, different from existing stations in that it is fully covered. There seemed to be a big event at BiTEC so not sure if that affected loads? There seemed to be a lot of families out enjoying the holiday and many seemed to be trying to ride on the first day. End-carriages were quite full by Asoke; not sure how the intervals are working out as it is a holiday?

A very welcome addition to the Bangkok public transportation network, congratulations to all who worked on it.