Bts Extension, Udomsuk Station

iyah

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ya, 2009 is the year, i knew that much. Seems like they don't even try to put a dead line anymore to the works cos they know that they don't have a clue when it'll be done/open. I think that originally it was suppose to open in 2008..Thai time. thanks anyways.

What about the Thunburi stations? It says April 2009 on Wikipedia, is this confirmed?

And I remember reading once that they have the plans already drawn up for the extension north up Pahon Yothin Road, anyone know when construction of that is due to begin?

What about the Thunburi stations? It says April 2009 on Wikipedia, is this confirmed?

And I remember reading once that they have the plans already drawn up for the extension north up Pahon Yothin Road, anyone know when construction of that is due to begin?

At the rate they are going it will take decades, believe only when you see! I read a few years back about that Pahon Yothin thing too, but like the Red, Purple and whatever other lines it is just pie in the sky. The words Planning and Management are alien here!

• 1 year later...

Any news yet?

from, http://www.bts.co.th/en/news/news_detail.asp?id=177

"... on Friday 25th June 2010, Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Ltd. marked the arrival of 12 new 4 –car trains, totaling 48 cars"

"After the company has received delivery of all 12 new trains to Bangkok, test running will be carried out for a period of 4-6 months before they enter service on the Silom line. The 35 trains of the existing BTS fleet will then operate only on the Sukhumvit line. "

Edited by ding

I admit I haven't stayed up on this extension but did hear "end-2011" when asking some friends who live in Udom Suk (Soi 103).

lol.. The track will have been finished for over 3yrs by then without a single service running? :blink:

What is the reason for the holdup? I heard they built the track but forgot to order the trains to run on it? :D

Again, I haven't stayed up on the latest developments but believe the most current public opening date was 15 May 2011. This accounted for the delivery of the new 4-car sets (qty.: 12) which have been delivered and may be being tested now. Then all 35 3-car sets will operate on the Sukhumvit line.

However I believe there have been some issues surrounding the procurement of a new signalling system, and more people want to be involved in taking management fees and commissions, so the whole project might be pushed out to the end of 2011, and probably much later, unfortunately. I think that once all the new housing and development gets closer to completion then the powers that be will push for an opening. Every change in government typically causes a reset, so even more delays should not be unexpected.

I don't really understand the working of these things but isn't there also a problem with the compatibility of the new trains. As I understand it the current trains are controlled via signals through the wheels, that's why there are no lights at the stations whereas the new trains rely on "normal" signaling.

This is only hearsay so could be bullsh*t, I believe there are some experts out there, any views?

I am certain that the new 4-car sets operate with the current Bombardier signalling system, as do the existing 3-car sets. The 4-car sets have been painted and blessed, I sort of thought that some were being tested currently?

There are a lot of pictures in the skyscrapercity forum, and various Thai forums.

My mention of a signalling system pertains to the Bearing extension, which is the subject of this thread.

Thanks lomatopo. Your mention of the housing developers pushing the bureaucrats to complete it parallels my interest. I'm looking to time a condo purchase where my prime concern is not holding it as the project lags for months and years. I remember the original skytrain and the Italians pulling out leaving the usual wasted mass of concrete sitting unfinished and unused (IIRC).

My Thai wife here in the states can't believe how fast big projects finish here.

At the rate they are going it will take decades, believe only when you see! I read a few years back about that Pahon Yothin thing too, but like the Red, Purple and whatever other lines it is just pie in the sky. The words Planning and Management are alien here!

they've begun work on the station at the SCG head office, which is located down the road from bang sue MRT station. i would assume that is the line you are referring to?

• 2 weeks later...

I live a stones throw from the Udom Suk station and I find it amazing that there is these continual delays in the activation of service, I'm not sure why I am surprised I have lived here long enough to understand that that this is such a thing as "Thai Time" and that things happen only when the right people say they should happen. The latest news I heard was that these were to be open before Christmas this year, but that is yet to have any weight. I have read these posts and many of you think 2011 will be the date, so I guess there is nothing clear. I have checked the BTS site and no news there of any value.

Its so western of me to think of a schedule and sticking to it... oh well.....

Cheers

C

The latest news I heard was that these were to be open before Christmas this year, but that is yet to have any weight. I have read these posts and many of you think 2011 will be the date, so I guess there is nothing clear. I have checked the BTS site and no news there of any value.

Cheers

C

While I'd welcome a Christmas, 2010 opening I must say that the last official (BMA: Bangkok Metropolitan Administration) word was an opening date of 15 May 2011. Most people, rail enthusiasts; Thai forums, etc., are talking about the end of 2011 (maybe Christmas, 2011 :lol: ).

It may be western to think of a schedule, but sticking to it? I lived through the Big Dig. No schedule slips, cost overruns there. :whistling: No extra charge for the leaks, though.

• 4 months later...
The latest news I heard was that these were to be open before Christmas this year, but that is yet to have any weight. I have read these posts and many of you think 2011 will be the date, so I guess there is nothing clear. I have checked the BTS site and no news there of any value.

Cheers

C

While I'd welcome a Christmas, 2010 opening I must say that the last official (BMA: Bangkok Metropolitan Administration) word was an opening date of 15 May 2011. Most people, rail enthusiasts; Thai forums, etc., are talking about the end of 2011 (maybe Christmas, 2011 :lol: ).

It may be western to think of a schedule, but sticking to it? I lived through the Big Dig. No schedule slips, cost overruns there. :whistling: No extra charge for the leaks, though.

Having missed the auspicious date of the King's Birthday on December 5th 2010, (probably opening some other high profile project like the sluice gates), the next possible auspicious date will be the birthday of the Queen, so let us hope that the posters advertising this are correct. Otherwise the extension will be rusty before it actually opens.

Presumably they have reached agreement about who gets which payoff regarding the project and the rolling stock purchase, so there should be no further reason to delay..

There's a big sign on the new stations saying the official opening date is 12th August 2011. If I were a betting man I'd still go for end of this year though (King's birthday probably).

Agree that public statements to date mention a start date in August, 2011,

"It is expected to open for service in August 2011, and consists of 5 stations Bang Chak Station, Punnawithi Station, Udom Suk Station, Bang Na Station and Bearing Station."

but this may not be feasible given all the systems that still need to be installed (requiring ~ 6 months of testing), full transition of the 3-car sets from the Silom line to the Sukhumvit line and 35 new cars from Siemens (to increase the 35 3-car sets to 4 cars, although maybe not required for initial service). Perhaps there might be some sort of ceremonial run in August but full service might be closer to Q1/2012. FWIW, not sure there is a requirement to open on 12 Aug or 5 Dec; for example, the BTS Wong Wian Yai extension opened 15 May 2009, SBIA opened 28 Sep (2006) and the SARL opened 23 August 2010.

It will open on 12 August or just after save for any last minute major problem (always probable).

Up until a few months ago it was going to be late 2011 but the installation of the electricals and systems is going well after the whole tendering debacle in late 09. The tender stated that the contractor had to finish the works within by 15 May 2011. The BMA has recently confirmed that works will be completed by May according to the contractor and then 3 months testing. The BMA last month signed a contract with BTSC to operate the extension (similar to contract for BTSC to operate the 2.2km Wong Wian Yai ext).

The introduction of the CNR 4 car sets on the Silom line and the eventual running of the 3 car sets on the Suk line has no impact on the opening of this ext. The 2 billion baht deal signed by BTSC with Siemens last Oct purchasing new 35 extra one cars to make all the 35 Siemens 3 car sets to 4 cars will take 2.5 years to be delivered. I doubt that any will be delivered before the Soi Bearing ext opens - perhaps 1 or a few?

It is worth remembering the various reasons why this ext has been delayed.

Firstly, for a couple of years (04 & 05) there was a struggle between MOT, OTP and BMA as to who would fund the ext. Also, remember that in 05&06 Taksin (a the TRT) wanted to take over the BTSC and nationalise it so that all metros would be govt run (related to property interests).

Finally, it was agreed the BMA would fund it (only to Soi Baering as this is the southern limited of Bangkok Province). The TRT had a plan to allow the Dem controlled BMA to fund the link and stuff up hoping it would result in some electoral backlash at the council level.

The BMA awarded ITD the contract in the 2nd quarter of 06 - the original contract was for 4 stations. Site prep works commenced in in August 2006 with a 3.5 year time frame for the completion of all works (for the 5.25km ext that is about 1.5km a year average) - testing from Dec 09 and opening 1st quarter 2010.

Construction of civil works commenced in Jan 07. THE BMA added a 5th station to the project in April 07. Civil works proceeded according to the construction timetable throughout 07. By the end of 2007, 35% of the construction was complete, which was ahead of schedule.

Throughout 2008 construction proceeded smoothly and ahead of schedule. E10-12 were much more advanced than E13 & E14 and realistically those 3 stations could have easily opened earlier if it had been made a project priority. But then comes the major problem.....

Tendering for the signalling and systems should have been out by late 2008. However, due to the then recent allegations and investigation of corruption involving the BMA funded BRT project relating to bus procurement (which subsequently led to a 2yr delay in opening the BRT) and the fire truck purchase from when Samak was Gov, the BMA official responsible for putting out the tender did not do so! This was because he was approaching retirement and did not want any investigations or allegations into an area of his responsibility prior to retirement. Somehow no one in BMA TTD though to check.

Perfect for an episode of Yes Minister as no one actually thought to ask what was going on. This fact was only discovered internally in the BMA in mid 09 and then publicised 2 months later. Great project management by the BMA TTD!

Here is the article from Sept 09:

Skytrain link tests delayed SUPOJ WANCHAROEN 19/09/2009

Testing on the BTS Sukhumvit line extension will probably be pushed back until late 2011 due to delays in the procurement of signalling and electrical systems, says deputy Bangkok governor Teerachon Manomaipibul. Procurement should have taken place nine months ago if the original December 2010 deadline for the test run was to be met. But purchasing of the operating systems for the 5km extension from Onnuj to Soi Baring, or Sukhumvit Soi 107, has not been approved yet, said Mr Teerachon, who is responsible for mass transit projects.

The senior City Hall official responsible for making the purchase has apparently stalled the scheme over fears of being investigated if something went wrong with the purchase, he said. The official in question is due to retire and does not want to take risks despite being told the scheme is strictly in line with regulations, said Mr Teerachon. Former city clerk Khunying Nathanon Thavisin was accused of irregularities over the purchase of fire trucks and boats by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. City Hall retroactively fired her from the post this week.

Mr Teerachon said he cannot be sure the test run can take place by mid-2011 as the consulting and bidding process normally takes about seven months.Construction of the superstructure and stations by contractor Italian-Thai Development Plc is about 95% complete.

This is the reason why the ext did not open early last year.