Attitude To Foreign Food - Second Try

GuestHouse

Does your Thai Wife; Husband; G/F; B/F Like Foreign Food? and in your comments tell us, is there a nation who's food they will not eat  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My wife will eat almost any food put in front of her, excluding beef and lamb, but I know many Thais will only eat Thai food.

Whenever we go out for dinner with other Thais there is always the question - Will the eat non Thai Food?

Its not just a matter of education or exposure, I have known very well educated Thais who have lived and studied abroad but who refuse to eat anything but Thai.

Also, is there any particular nationality of food your partner will not eat?

My wife definitely turns her nose up at lamb. I sometimes make a "tuna noodle casserole" which she seems to really like (always asks me when I'm going to make some more). Does not like things with tomato sauce, with the exception of a pizza, which in Thailand generally doesn't have much sauce anyways. She really likes things made from potatoes, ie mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes. Some cheese she likes, but most cheese she claims "stinks" and won't eat it.

My mates gf moans like crazy when he eats cheese saying it stinks and then shovels pizza down her gob like theres no tomorrow!?!

I've heard of blokes giving up cheese and dairy because their Thai gfs say it makes them smell!!

I do think its funny when blokes let their Thai GFs dictate what they can or can't eat to them and then stink the house out with Somtam and reek of garlic 24 hours a day!!!

I think lamb is one dish that is generally disliked by Thai's. Strong smell and taste is the consensus.

My wife likes most farang food that I do.

I once had a Thai g/f who hated western food, complaining of its strange flavors.... I also know of farang who hate Thai food.

So I suppose different people like different things.....

My mates gf moans like crazy when he eats cheese saying it stinks and then shovels pizza down her gob like theres no tomorrow!?!

I've heard of blokes giving up cheese and dairy because their Thai gfs say it makes them smell!!

I do think its funny when blokes let their Thai GFs dictate what they can or can't eat to them and then stink the house out with Somtam and reek of garlic 24 hours a day!!!

Spot on...they can be so selfish sometimes, my wife included. She'll bring in Dorian and some real smelly garbage some days...and as soon as I have something remotely whiffy, Thai or farang food, it's min, min, min...all day

I never realised that Thais don't like lamb, now i know why its so hard to find it in supermarkets. What's there not to like about lamb? Roast rack of lamb, soaked in red wine, rosemary and garlic for 12 hours, mmmm.... god i miss lamb!

I do know however that Thais don't like Indian food.

They don't know what they're missing.

I never realised that Thais don't like lamb, now i know why its so hard to find it in supermarkets.  What's there not to like about lamb?  Roast rack of lamb, soaked in red wine, rosemary and garlic for 12 hours, mmmm.... god i miss lamb!

I do know however that Thais don't like Indian food.

They don't know what they're missing.

Damngoodwine.jpg

Roast Rack of Lamb is Red Wine.

Makro,Tops,Villa,Foodland and The Emporium ALL stock Lamb Racks,Legs and Shoulders.

Pls. allow me to add the last poll option.  I felt even the first one did not really include those who are truly Western food connaisseurs. :D (sp?)  Unfortunatley I already voted before thinking to add the option. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao:

You're right on with that last poll option you added. Unfortunately I also already voted. No matter what western food and how much food my wife has eaten, she always has to go next door for her "fix" of somtam!

Noguts:

That plate of lambchops just makes my mouth water. And all my wife says is "men!" when I tell her what it is. :D

Thanks for the extremely vivid photo Noguts, now your really making me hungry for lamb. I've been looking at my local Tops supermarket, and they never stock lamb. I guess I'll have to venture further out to the hypermarts you mentioned.

By the way the 2 most unadaptable diets I have ever come across belong to the Thais and the Koreans. Almost every person I have met of those nationalities have a lot of problems when they travel. They are generally un-enthusiastic about foreign food, they will "experience" foreign food, but they will never really take to it. The Thais generally seek out the first Thai restaurant in town like part of a survival routine, while Koreans travel with little boxes of Kim Chi, its weird, just give a Korean some Kim Chi and rice and he'll be right.

Lamb -No

Beef-No

Pizza-No

Turkey-No

Spuds-only in Massaman

Haggis-only at Burns supper with a keo wan

Pot noodles-Yes

Pork Sausages-Yes-especially chilli dogs

Chicken -Yes

Beefburgers with no Beef

Brannigans Salt and Vinegar Crisps

and last ...but not least

Fish and Chips (she even now eats the peas) in the restaurant of Morrisons Supermarket on a Sunday morning.

Is this a sad life ...or wot?

:o:D

We eat mostly Thai food when in Bangkok, but I'll get the occasional jones for a steak, so we head to the Sizzler, which she thinks is a rare exotic treat. Got a thrill cooking farang food occasionally for her and her friends, most of whom have never had it--and I got her dad hooked on my homemade chocolate no-bake cookies!

My Thai boyfriend didn't eat that much Western food when we started living together, but now he's the first to suggest Sizzler, although he'll prefer their pork sausage, the salad bar, etc. Likes Italian food, too. Which is good, because I can't eat 90% of Thai food.

I heard of a group of Thai school directors who all came back early from a trip to Montana or Idaho because one of them just couldn't eat Western food.

I am lucky, my wife has no problem eating any food , although she does turn up her nose at lamb and beef as well . Although, any falang food she eats will be drowned in tomatoe sauce . Her latest fav food is " boccoli" which also gets the sauce treatment . I guess Thais like alot of flavour with thier food and see falang food as a little bland so have to sauce it up :o

This appears to be a major problem for farangs when they take their girl back home .

regular visits to the local Thai supermarket for thai ingredients to make the meals.

some girls are easy about western meals but mostly they hanker after the genuine thai stuff.

a pal of mines girl lek , used to stock up with Indian Vindaloo takeaways and keep them in the fridge and heat them in a microwave cooker for consumption for her 7am breakfast !!

She needed the chillies buzz early morning ...it was a passable substitute

I'll just add these last points.

My wife loves Marmite!... At first she sniffed it, said ' I don't think so', now it seems to be disapearing from the pot ... She sneaks it on toast with loads of Lurpak butter.

She's also into Indian food in a big way, I think that might be because my mother introduced her to it.

But here's a story.

I went on a business trip to Singapore with a Thai client, he refused to eat anyting but Thai food all the time we where there.

I eventually got him to a seafood restaraunt up at the race course and ordered Chilli Crab.

His eyes were out of his head when he saw the size of it, and he ate the lot.

Then came the crunch, a week later back in Thailand we were in a meeting with the usual premeeting pleasentaries - we were discussing our trip and he said.

The Signaporeans have a Crab dish that Thais taught them to make, its almost as good as the original

Like, what can a guy say?!