Bangkok Post Sunday

InZz

I'm not sure whether some of you have seen or read the new Bangkok Post Sunday yet...

Its price is 40B. What do you think about it? Do you like it?

Anyway, may I introduce you with its description as shown below:

Bangkok Post SUNDAY

The Bangkok Post modernizes its appearance through a major redesign, while improving the content of its Sunday edition; more lighter-reads and more in-depth stories and analysis. Furthermore the content is more lifestyle oriented and adds new pages throughout the various sections.

>> MAIN BOOK A new-generation quality broadsheet with a better mix of stories and a greater interaction with readers.

>> BRUNCH A 36-page tabloid in magazine style with content that appeals to the young and active. The focus here is on Thailand based events with light but informative copy.

>> SPECTRUM Caters to readers looking for investigative reports on local issues, plus regional and international features. Tailored business stories and high-end arts features. Local reports will 'go behind the news'.

>> SUNDAY SPORTS Catch up on your favourite sports and interviews.

Cheers,

InZz

I'm not sure whether some of you have seen or read the new Bangkok Post Sunday yet...

Its price is 40B. What do you think about it? Do you like it?

Anyway, may I introduce you with its description as shown below:

Bangkok Post SUNDAY

The Bangkok Post modernizes its appearance through a major redesign, while improving the content of its Sunday edition; more lighter-reads and more in-depth stories and analysis. Furthermore the content is more lifestyle oriented and adds new pages throughout the various sections.

>> MAIN BOOK A new-generation quality broadsheet with a better mix of stories and a greater interaction with readers.

>> BRUNCH A 36-page tabloid in magazine style with content that appeals to the young and active. The focus here is on Thailand based events with light but informative copy.

>> SPECTRUM Caters to readers looking for investigative reports on local issues, plus regional and international features. Tailored business stories and high-end arts features. Local reports will 'go behind the news'.

>> SUNDAY SPORTS Catch up on your favourite sports and interviews.

Cheers,

InZz

I didn't know that the BKK Post is sponsor of TV? :o

I have been reading the Bangkok Post for over 30 years, and I always rated it as a pretty good paper for news and sport - both local and international.

Over the past few years the news content has become less and less, and i was really put out when some idiot decided to take sport off the back page to be replaced with mainly garbage and the occasional full page ad. Thankfully that decision has now been reversed.

I may be alone on this, but I happen to like the traditional broad sheet format, and I really hate the tabloid weekend formats for sport etc., to such an extent that I hardly ever read it.

As one recent letter writer commented, the main purpose of the paper is to read news - not junk - and the Sunday post is full of junk, not news, and I have to go to the internet to catch up with the news in detail.

I may well cancel the Sunday edition, as, while not a cheap skate, I do expect value for money - and it just isn't good value any more.

For those who want to read mainly frivolous rubbish all week from their Sunday paper, maybe it is worth the 40p. But not for me.

Edited by Mobi

I've worked as a major newspapers editor and reporter for 15+ years in the U.S., and based on that experience, I'd make the following observation.

Anytime a newspaper makes this kind of announcement and packaging/content change, invariably what they are really doing is making changes to save money and/or reduce staffing needs and/or justify a price increase.

More and more "canned" stories from international organizations

Very little local content that really affects TV readers

Waaaaaaaaaay too much advertising..........and full page at that

a price increase to justify "high printing costs"

After many years..................they finally lost my custom

Yep, no more BP for me either. I'll read it, if there's a free copy hanging around somewhere, but I certainly wont be buying it anymore. Much better news sources online.

I will agree with you. The BP started going downhill, about 1 year ago. I too, will read a free copy, if ever I feel like reading it.

Did you notice that the Thai sister newspaper...........Post Today Did not increase in price

Guess the "high printing costs" are only for English Language newspapers!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to learn some Thai language then. Together with the one year visa from the language school it looks like a good package.

I agree that most of the pull outs with the BP are junk, but on Sunday the 'Spectrum' seemed better than the norm, although I didn't actually get time to read it fully.

There are many aspects of the Post that I don't understand. One of them is the habit of including large glossy marketing pull outs and leaflets for various incongruous Industrial products and company's that I doubt most of the public has any interest in.

I also feel guilty buying it too often as there seems to be so much paper wastage in it. Post Bag is about the only thing worth reading in it on a daily basis.

I agree that most of the pull outs with the BP are junk, but on Sunday the 'Spectrum' seemed better than the norm, although I didn't actually get time to read it fully.

There are many aspects of the Post that I don't understand. One of them is the habit of including large glossy marketing pull outs and leaflets for various incongruous Industrial products and company's that I doubt most of the public has any interest in.

I also feel guilty buying it too often as there seems to be so much paper wastage in it. Post Bag is about the only thing worth reading in it on a daily basis.

And you get to read postbag online for free!!!!!!

Those expensive inserts often pay a large chunk of the Post's publishing costs. The Post depends on advertising for most of its budget. Subscriptions and newsstand sales cover a much smaller portion.

I don't follow sports so the entire sports section is a waste of paper as far as I'm concerned. But without the sports section, the part of the budget paid for by subs and retail might drop considerably.

The way I look at it, in the end you just hope there's enough stuff you like in a newspaper to make it worth buying, and ignore the rest.

Am I the only guy here who actually likes the advertising reach-arounds? There was a great one the other day about an industrial estate that had some nice buildings. And there was one about condo development in Pattaya or something that had, like, an artist's impression of a swimming pool, and some men in suits shaking hands. Sweet.

Oh, hang on, they're not reach-arounds, are they? Well, whatever they're called, I think they rock.

That's the way it is in the newspaper business economically...

Even with the increased/increasing subscription or per copy prices, those revenues usually only pay a small part of the operating costs. The far larger portion comes from advertising, whether in-paper or inserts. The latter can be particularly profitable because they stand out (and fall out) from the rest of the paper, making them bound to be noticed. Thus the advertiser pays for the privilege.

Actually, back in Los Angeles where I worked before, the marketing folks always told me that the single most important part of the paper, at least in the view of readers, was the daily crossword puzzle. Leave that out, or have some problem with it, and the grief would be never-ending.... But I'm sure the sports section was up high on the list also... :o

Those expensive inserts often pay a large chunk of the Post's publishing costs. The Post depends on advertising for most of its budget. Subscriptions and newsstand sales cover a much smaller portion.

I don't follow sports so the entire sports section is a waste of paper as far as I'm concerned. But without the sports section, the part of the budget paid for by subs and retail might drop considerably.

The way I look at it, in the end you just hope there's enough stuff you like in a newspaper to make it worth buying, and ignore the rest.

I totally agree with you, sabaijai on what you said.

Even Bangkok Post Sunday's price is higher than Sunday The Nation,

I prefer it as it's packed with a lot of various sections which I can share among all in my family.

For me, I like "Spectrum" while my wife likes "Brunch" :o

Some of you may dislike the new Bangkok Post Sunday,

but I'm the contrary.