Crash Helmets

tatom

I need a new helmet and am thinking about a full face helmet. I have some questions though.

The full face helmets look good and safer, but Im wondering about visibility. Is visability good, periferal vision etc?

Also, they look like they may be hot with not as much vetilation?

hi one new one that i'm trying to get a look at is the REAL stealth it claims 8 vent holes, washable lining etc.2100baht

i have an index full face the shop ordered special for me (export size) but that still puts loads of pressure on me forehead.

or import from one of the close out companys in the states if you know exactly your size in a given helmet.

hope this helps.

allan

It only restricts your peripheral vision if you have the eyes of a fruit fly. Part of defensive driving is to turn your head often, and use your mirrors. The alternative is to lose your jaw or your good looks when you fall. I have been blind on one side for over 40 years with no peripheral vision problems while wearing full face helmets, which have saved me from several severe blows to the jaw and face.

Heat is bearable, with ventilation.

I need a new helmet and am thinking about a full face helmet. I have some questions though.

The full face helmets look good and safer, but Im wondering about visibility. Is visability good, periferal vision etc?

Also, they look like they may be hot with not as much vetilation?

Hi,

The sell good helmets in big sizes att fast corner! www.fastcorner.co.th the have a lot from arai in stock.

And www.paddock.co.th have a lot from shoei and hjc! I buy last year a half fase helmet from arai from fast corner.

Peter

peter you have to be a bit carefull with Paddock as other posters have had problems with the linings in the shoei's that paddock sells. something about 14day returns relined in thailand to look new.

unfortantly all the the imported gear here is very expensive.

allan

Hi Tatom,

1st Yes the full face is much safer than half helmets

2nd No the vision is not limited for driving purposes

3rd I have never had any heat problems, the ventilation is good in the newer helmets and in red light just open it

I agree with Peaceblondie the benefit of extra safety is absolutely worth to use it. I had two crashes where I flew highside and without full face I would look even worse than I do, luckily I have never used half helmet so I never trashed my face. Also when you get a big smack from a small stone falling off a truck in front, you feel very good about that full face helmet I can promise you... A guy I know drove with half face and sunglasses when a small rock hit him, broke his jawbone, ruined 13 teeths and disfigured his face, he still whishes he used full face before even though it didn't look cool enough for him on a chopper.

Something worth noting is this; Helmets made locally is made to fit round heads, which does not fit typical western oval heads at all, and gives you a squeeze in the forehead which is very uncomfortable and obviously not safe. So we have little choice but buy import or import ourself the helmets to use, I import mine and I have never regretted it, the cost is still expensive for a good quality helmet but 50% or less than the shop prices in Thailand. Get help to find your size and buy it from overseas is my suggestion, that is unless your head fits the round shape they sell from Index etc.

As livinLOS said the Real brand are quite comfy, just picked one up myself, 1500B, so didn't break the bank. Also found the Index was pushing right on my forhead, so put that one back pretty quickly.

Will try and pick up a Shoei or Arai next time i'm up in bkk.

It only restricts your peripheral vision if you have the eyes of a fruit fly. Part of defensive driving is to turn your head often, and use your mirrors. The alternative is to lose your jaw or your good looks when you fall. I have been blind on one side for over 40 years with no peripheral vision problems while wearing full face helmets, which have saved me from several severe blows to the jaw and face.

A thai made helmet is slightly cooler than the imports due to its weight and slightly thinner/weaker plastic.

The imports are more tough and robust but weigh a bit more and you will have a hot head.

ALL full face helmets restrict your vision. But an experiences rider will not be phased or rattle by this.

Edited by JimsKnight

A thai made helmet is slightly cooler than the imports due to its weight and slightly thinner/weaker plastic.

The imports are more tough and robust but weigh a bit more and you will have a hot head.

ALL full face helmets restrict your vision. But an experiences rider will not be phased or rattle by this.

I must have an overly oval head.....I haven't had any restrict my vision. However, I have noticed that few helmets fit me properly; most have way too much room on the sides and pinch fore and aft.

I must have an overly oval head.....I haven't had any restrict my vision. However, I have noticed that few helmets fit me properly; most have way too much room on the sides and pinch fore and aft.

Hi Dave,

Then you have same problem as me, the only helmet which really fits me perfect after lots of try and fail has been Shoei TZ-R it sits perfect on my head and when I compare the weight with local brands it is actually a bit lighter as well (Fiber vs Plastic), plus it is quieter than most helmets I tried and it does not pinch anywhere, I can drive all day long in comfort with it. So if you have problems I recommend to try out one of them out.

Hi Dave,

Then you have same problem as me, the only helmet which really fits me perfect after lots of try and fail has been Shoei TZ-R it sits perfect on my head and when I compare the weight with local brands it is actually a bit lighter as well (Fiber vs Plastic), plus it is quieter than most helmets I tried and it does not pinch anywhere, I can drive all day long in comfort with it. So if you have problems I recommend to try out one of them out.

I'm too cheap to get a Shoei. I do love my HJC's value, and am tempted into bringing this one into Thailand with me:

e3301415xs.jpg

(yep, that's my carbon fibre fetish showing) It's only 380 USD

Hi Dave,

I'm too cheap to get a Shoei. I do love my HJC's value, and am tempted into bringing this one into Thailand with me:

e3301415xs.jpg

(yep, that's my carbon fibre fetish showing) It's only 380 USD

I share your view on carbon Dave, that one is my next helmet for sure loads of value for that one. :o

• 4 months later...

I bought a "Real" brand helmet and have to say it seems quite well made and is incredibly inexpensive.

RealStealth.jpg

The Real website has a lot of information on the construction and crash worthiness of their helmets including the DOT standards:

http://www.real-helmets.com/content/?page=DOT〈=en

Sure, it probably won't give you the same protection as a Shoei, Arai or HJC, but it's a hel_l of a lot better than the other popular Thai brand.

I just picked up an Italian Airoh Mathisse and am loving it:

mathisse1.jpg

Very pricey in Thailand though...

I bought a "Real" brand helmet and have to say it seems quite well made and is incredibly inexpensive.

RealStealth.jpg

The Real website has a lot of information on the construction and crash worthiness of their helmets including the DOT standards:

Sure, it probably won't give you the same protection as a Shoei, Arai or HJC, but it's a hel_l of a lot better than the other popular Thai brand.

mathisse1.jpg

Tony, where did you buy that helmet? Did you get it online or walk into a shop in bkk? What price did you pay in baht, I see they quote USD online. Its good to have a cheapie to ride the local area with & something a bit nicer for trips.

RealStealth.jpg

mathisse1.jpg

Tony, where did you buy that helmet? Did you get it online or walk into a shop in bkk? What price did you pay in baht, I see they quote USD online. Its good to have a cheapie to ride the local area with & something a bit nicer for trips.

Hiya Tim!

The REAL brand helmets can be found at most motorcycle shops in Bangkok. I got mine at the company HQ on Ramkamhaeng... Sorry, I can't remember which soi, 117 perhaps? I've also seen lots of them at the bike shops around Saphan Kwai.

Real also has booths at most of the Thai bike weeks-

image1.jpg

The Airoh I picked up while I was in Europe over the holidays. I've seen them for sale at Fastcorner in Bangkok for something like 16,000 Baht or more. I got mine for about half that price- ordered direct from Italy and had it sent to me in Belgium :o

RealStealth.jpg

mathisse1.jpg

Hiya Tim!

The REAL brand helmets can be found at most motorcycle shops in Bangkok. I got mine at the company HQ on Ramkamhaeng... Sorry, I can't remember which soi, 117 perhaps? I've also seen lots of them at the bike shops around Saphan Kwai.

Real also has booths at most of the Thai bike weeks-

image1.jpg

The Airoh I picked up while I was in Europe over the holidays. I've seen them for sale at Fastcorner in Bangkok for something like 16,000 Baht or more. I got mine for about half that price- ordered direct from Italy and had it sent to me in Belgium :D

Okay, thanks for that, I was wondering if you got a better deal somehow. CRIKEY did you manage to do a helmet chicky thrown in with ur lid?? Someone else around here seems to get that sort of thing happening without dropping any names :o

I just never liked the local helmets, so ended up biting the bullet and buying a Roof Boxer V.

I love the fact that you can flip up the whole front when riding around town to get some air.

They do ship worldwide from www.designerhelmets.com, but I was coming home via UK so had it shipped there free and picked it up while passing.

Comfortable and good vent design.

cheers

Freddie

post-5385-1233679617_thumb.jpg

Dave, That HJC Carbon Fibre looks great, does it have a washable lining? Do you know what replacement visors are worth?

Yes, it has a removable and washable lining. Cost for replacement visor ranges from 23 to 36 USD. The more expensive ones are tinted and mirroured (the one I got). They also have replacement liners for ~12 USD and cheekpads for about the same.

Honestly I was expecting it to be much lighter than the glassfibre helmet that it was replacing but it isn't much if any at all. The seal of the visor is vastly improved, but the adjustment for the visor still maddenly only has 3 positions other than closed.

However, it greatly improves rider comfort; I have the classic 'oblong' head versus the rounder heads that Asians seem to have--pinching on the front and loose on the sides isn't exactly conducive to encouraging a rider to use it.