PAD Leaders To Announce New Politics

Jai Dee

Guest Reimar

From TOC News: (http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/)

FLASH UPDATE: Southern PAD Chapter Threatens Mass Protest

UPDATE : 3 October 2008

The southern chapter of the People's Alliance for Democracy has threatened to stage a mass rally if the police refused to release key PAD leader Chaiwat Sinsuwong.

Chaiwat was arrested at around 4 p.m. today. He's one of the 9 key PAD members with outstanding arrest warrants. The 9 PAD members have been accused of treason. They have filed an appeal with the court to nullify the warrants and dismiss the treason charges.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel like this topic is becoming a troll playground.

Last two "news" from Permanent disorder are almost a month old items that have been discussed already. Do I need to pull up archives to show that the guy allegedly beaten up by PAD guards was carrying an air rifle while making a "shortcut" through the protest site?

It has been done already, PD has read it, yet chose to repost this article again without even acknowledging its repetition. Why?

Also I have seen permanent_disorder pictures posted here already, exactly the same pix, quite a few times. Why?

Is it some sort of a media outlet for self publishers where you can upload the same posts over and over again regardless of the flow of the discussion?

Is it some sort of a troll playground where breaking forum rules means that you only have to re-register under a new name and demand that everyone treats you as if you've done nothing wrong?

If you look at the last couple of pages - ithe agenda has been monopolised by a couple of posters with very questionable motives.

Last two "news" from Permanent disorder are almost a month old items that have been discussed already. Do I need to pull up archives to show that the guy allegedly beaten up by PAD guards was carrying an air rifle while making a "shortcut" through the protest site?

It has been done already, PD has read it, yet chose to repost this article again without even acknowledging its repetition. Why?

Also I have seen permanent_disorder pictures posted here already, exactly the same pix, quite a few times. Why?

Is it some sort of a media outlet for self publishers where you can upload the same posts over and over again regardless of the flow of the discussion?

Is it some sort of a troll playground where breaking forum rules means that you only have to re-register under a new name and demand that everyone treats you as if you've done nothing wrong?

If you look at the last couple of pages - ithe agenda has been monopolised by a couple of posters with very questionable motives.

Or is the propaganda 101 basic:

Tell a lie often enough and over whelm the truth, and the lies then become the truth?

This is not reasoned discussion of news of the day,

but appears to be REPEATED attempts, by several here

to redesign peoples perceptions of the news to fit some agenda.

And couples this with attempts to paint those with other opinions

as being on PAD's payroll or at least as PAD members.

Again it is entirely possible to support some of PAD's stated motives and actions,

and NOT support others, and NOT be PAD members.

But still be ADAMANTLY against corruption in government.

Edited by animatic

Sorry, for a time TV was the playground for PAD trolls. Now PAD opponents are catching up.

You’re outsmarted at your own game. Ooops, it was not supposed to happened this way … You better get used to it by now !

Yeah pretty much. Register new names and shout your talking points so loudly that you drown out your opponents. Doesn't matter if what you're saying is accurate, just keep repeating it over and over again. It's not a coincidence that a bunch of new posters have arrived since the beginning of the protests and basically only post on this topic.

Yeah pretty much. Register new names and shout your talking points so loudly that you drown out your opponents. Doesn't matter if what you're saying is accurate, just keep repeating it over and over again. It's not a coincidence that a bunch of new posters have arrived since the beginning of the protests and basically only post on this topic.

Definitively agree with you.

Your description of PAD supporters as “a bunch of new posters (that) have arrived since the beginning of the protests and basically only post on this topic” is really spot on. But I believe these posters are going to fade away in the next few weeks, actually most probably in the next few days, as PAD leaders are going to end where they belong : jail.

Character assassination is the last resort.

Can't come up with credible arguments anymore when presented with facts, supported by published research, that counter monotonous propaganda, so smear your opponents and hint that they might be part of a wild conspiracy. A rather low line of argumentation, if i may say so.

And very boring.

:D

:o

... as PAD leaders are going to end where they belong : jail.

I would not bet on it.

PAD will quickly develop counter strategies, and we might very well see the situation heat up again.

Don't forget - with Chamlong we have an expert, both scientific and with practical knowledge, in covert warfare and counter insurgency.

You should have a character first.

In Howisitgoin's case it's a mutliple banned identity crisis and subsequent lack of original thought. At any moment he can go off the rails, insult everyone, get banned again, and re-register next morning as if nothing happened.

In permanent_disorder's case it's a complete disregard for the discussion etiquette. You don't just post exactly the same message in multiple threads numerous times. Get yourself a blog if you want to be "published".

You should have a character first.

In Howisitgoin's case it's a mutliple banned identity crisis and subsequent lack of original thought. At any moment he can go off the rails, insult everyone, get banned again, and re-register next morning as if nothing happened.

In permanent_disorder's case it's a complete disregard for the discussion etiquette. You don't just post exactly the same message in multiple threads numerous times. Get yourself a blog if you want to be "published".

I enjoy reading the posts by PD and others. I dont see any more disregard to etiquette then yourself, SJ or other Pro pad fanatics of posting photos and editing articles for their view points. Its nice to read from another view point then just brainwashed PAD worshipers. Its all fair game so let freedom of speech prevail and stop your ranting. Bach to the topic please --->

Sorry, for a time TV was the playground for PAD trolls. Now PAD opponents are catching up.

You’re outsmarted at your own game. Ooops, it was not supposed to happened this way … You better get used to it by now !

So you would agree that, over the past couple of months, there are suddenly a number of prolific new posters who are very pro-PPP/anti-PAD, and that this has significantly changed the balance on Thai-Visa ?

But your interesting thread on 'are there paid-posters, here on TV, funded by PAD' (I paraphrase here) seemed to assume that any recent bias was entirely the other way.

IMHO it is entirely correct that all sides should be represented. However several of the newbies seemed only-too-happy to start insulting other posters, and promptly got themselves Banned, as I suspect will those who see cults or nazis at every turn.

Moving on :-

It's interesting that the new PM, while trying to start talking to the PAD-leadership, sees his efforts possibly sabotaged by the recent arrests. Hardly likely to buy him time or friends.

It's also interesting that, in calling for new politics, the PAD are basically agreeing with the PPP that the current Constitution is less-than-perfect, a point-of-view apparently shared by the academics. But any prospect of getting positive PAD-input, into the process of modifying it, is likely to be hurt by the arrests, unless the courts rapidly find that there is no case to answer ?

Whose interests are served by this on-going disruption ? A conspiracy-theorist might conclude that the strings continue to be pulled from London, by someone who denies any further participation in Thai politics , while still apparently having power-of-approval over the new Cabinet, and who has a very large sum of money at stake.

Whose interests are served by this on-going disruption ?

A conspiracy-theorist might conclude that the strings continue to be pulled from London,

by someone who denies any further participation in Thai politics ,

while still apparently having power-of-approval over the new Cabinet,

and who has a very large sum of money at stake.

It really is not a very arcane configuration.

76 billion baht would make most anyone do most anything to win it back.

Bring the country to it's KNEES, sure thing he wants his money back.

No matter HOW he got it, he had it, and lost it, he feels a loss.

Of cash and face, he wants both back at all costs, no matter how

many puppet governments he needs to bankroll to do it.

Until the laws get rewritten in HIS favor.

The people of ISSAN are pawns for him just a justification for

keeping his paid for elected government worker bees near the goal.

HIS POWER, and MONEY is power.

He proved with the Temasek, Ex/IM bank and Rachadapisk deals

that the best interest of the country are not even on his radar screen.

Edited by animatic

I can't see PAD supporters distance themself...they get more and more....

In your dreams.

If you have a look at Makkhawan and Government House now, there are rarely more than 1000 or 2000 PAD cultists, rather down from the previous 20 000 to 30 000.

and now, it's right back to the previous numbers...

30085189-01.jpg

More people join anti-government protest at the Government House on Sunday after a PAD's leader, Chamlong Srimuang, was arrested.

The Nation / 2008-10-06

I enjoy reading the posts by PD and others. I dont see any more disregard to etiquette then yourself, SJ or other Pro pad fanatics of posting photos and editing articles for their view points. Its nice to read from another view point then just brainwashed PAD worshipers. Its all fair game so let freedom of speech prevail and stop your ranting. Bach to the topic please --->

I'm not denying you the right to enjoy PD's posts - but reposting the same message numerours times in numerous threads is against forum rules.

It's not a free mike corner of the Internet, btw, it's a discussion board where you supposed to talk to people, listen, and reply. If you want to repeat your argument, at least mention your reasons for doing so, like SJ always does.

If someone mistakenly thinks that freedom of speech on the discussion board means freedom to talk endlessly and ignore others, well, than this is a mistake, there will be no discussion, only displays of vanity.

>>>>

There can be drawn a parallel between evolution of discussion boards and democracy in Thailand. The rules are right on the front page but how they came about and why, no one really knows. It was someone else's struggle, battles fought ten-twenty years ago in usenet newsrooms and across bulleten boards, then blindly copy-pasted on Thaivisa, just like numerours Thai constitutions have been copy pasted from the West.

Now the new generation of posters/Thais are discovering it for themselves. Is it ok to let tainted people to power if they can deliver? Is it ok to let banned posters to post again if they generate more traffic? Is it ok to be a bully if it attracts certain voters? Is it ok to ignore forum etiquette to get your point across? What is the meaning of a "win" and what are you supposed to do if you "win"? What is the role of the judiciary/moderators?

If these questions, which apparently have been settled once and for all, are raised again, it means that we, as Thaivisa members, are going to grow through them ourselves, like teenagers through puberty. And so are Thais, they have to realise the value of a vote, or dangers of corruption, for themselves.

No one can experience puberty for you, it's something you should learn to deal with personally. Advice is useful, but it's just advice.

I wonder when the last comment on New Politics was made on this thread. It does seem recently that the level of debate has gone downhill.

Personally I'll leave it up to the moderators to decide who can and cannot post on their site and what should be edited or removed.

Anyway back to the substantive. With everyone now talking politcal reform - extreme Thaksinistas through free them all charter ammendments. Bureaucrats through negotiated politcal reform and PADites through New Politics, how will the arrest of Chamlong and the end of negotiations affect the equilibrium of politcal reform?

In the end, I think the PPP will see that politically motivated arrests and trials of PAD leaders will not quiet the elites behind the PAD facade. Similarly, the PAD elites will come to grips that their politically motivated trials and arrests of TRT leaders that occured during and subsequent to the military junta will not stand amongst the electorate. Of course, the PAD will continue to try to neutralize the electorate through any means possible, but it is destined to fail.

Inflammatory and insulting posts and their responses have been deleted.

Please do not post inflammatory and personal comments, please do not post news articles that over 6 years old. Lets try to keep this timely and relevant and try to behave and debate in a civilized manner please.

In the end, I think the PPP will see that politically motivated arrests and trials of PAD leaders will not quiet the elites behind the PAD facade. Similarly, the PAD elites will come to grips that their politically motivated trials and arrests of TRT leaders that occured during and subsequent to the military junta will not stand amongst the electorate. Of course, the PAD will continue to try to neutralize the electorate through any means possible, but it is destined to fail.

Of course in the end a negotiated settelment between parties is likely to win out as destroying the country is not in anyones interest. It seems a question of how much hurt must everyone take first, and of cours ethe Thaksin question of what to do with him and his money which complicates matters a bit.

Right now it's Weng's paper on charter amendments that is in parliament, it has a good chance of passing if PPP decides to officially put it on the agenda. Democrats are all out to prevent it, though they don't have a legal ground to stand on.

From TOC

PAD Clarifies Definition of New Politics, All Parliamentarians to Be Elected

UPDATE : 22 September 2008

The People’s Alliance for Democracy organized a brainstorming session to define a working model for its proposal for new politics. The PAD explained that under new politics, all Parliamentarians will be elected. The PAD coordinator pointed out that the main difference from old politics is a formal representation of people from different professions in the House of Representatives.

For many weeks the PAD has been campaigning for support for new politics. Initially a tentative proposal for the so called 30:70 ratio system, whereby 70 per cent of MPs is appointed, was introduced. But the idea attracted widespread criticism and pro-democracy analysts have labeled the proposal a huge step back in Thailand’s democratic development. ...............Indeed it would be !

The PAD responded by saying the 30:70 model was, basically that, a model. :D

During a brainstorming session yesterday, the PAD invited representatives from various fields to map out what is hoped to be a workable framework for new politics.

PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang said the brainstorming session was merely a start of a series of discussion that will take place countrywide, allowing people from all walks of life to participate in the debate. The results of the discussion will be distributed and presented to discussion groups, made up of people from various professions.

Somkiart Pongpaiboon, another key PAD leader, stressed the importance of public participation on the drafting of new politics. He claimed that several well-respected individuals in society have anonymously submitted their own critiques of new politics to the PAD. These individuals include social critic Prawase Wasi, political scientist Chai-anand Samutwanich and former PM Anand Panyarachun.

PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila revealed the meeting has determined four main failings of the old political system. These failings include the chronic problem of vote-buying and the patronage voting system. The second problem of old politics is the failure of political institutions to remain free of capitalistic influence. Other flaws indentified by the PAD include the lack of public participation in politics and limited media freedom.

Suriyasai elaborated that tentatively, the new political system will encourage more public participation in politics and for them to act as the essential checks and balance of the system.

He stated that, under the PAD's new politics, all MPs will be elected; 50 per cent of the MPs will be elected under the constituency-based system while the other half will be elected based on profession representation. These profession groups may include NGOs, labor unions, handicapped groups and the media. :o Yeah right :D

Conclusion:

PAD is backing off.

GOOD !

LaoPo

PAD's "New Politics", is a democracy skewed to reduce the influence of the rural masses.

If the Thai elite / PAD would spend more time educating and providing opportunity for the "rural masses" then maybe they could get enough voters to make the changes they seek. So sad ......

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned as I don't have the time to trawl through all the threads but some friends of the Mrs from her village were offered 300 Baht a day for 3 days to go to Govt. house and join the yellow shirt brigade only to be stopped from leaving after the 3 days with no further money coming and the threat of beatings from the guards on the gate. They called home to warn anyone else against going there.

WEEKEND BRUNCH

In the frontline for the party and government

By Nophakhun Limsamarnphun

The Nation, Published on Sat, November 15, 2008 : Last updated 23:56 hours 15, 2008

Nattawut Saikuer, 33, the government's chief spokesman, is a fiery anti-coup front man for ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's allies.

He rose to the prominent post under PM Somchai Wongsawat, the brother-in-law of Thaksin, after spending two years fighting against leaders of the September 2006 coup.

"I was jailed for 12 days along with eight other anti-coup figures, including Veera Musikapong and Jatuporn Prompan [during the tenure of interim PM General Surayud Chulanont].

"We were tricked into being arrested and were put in jail following our attacks on General Prem Tinnasulanonda, president of the Privy Council, and a rally in front of his Si Sao residence on July 22, 2007," he said.

Nattawut, who holds a master's degree in public and private management from the National Institute of Development Administration, was also instrumental in setting up a pro-Thaksin group nearly two years ago.

Today members of this group call themselves the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship and wear red shirts as a symbol of their fight against the anti-Thaksin movement, which wears yellow shirts.

On November 1 about 50,000 people in red shirts gathered at Bangkok's Rajamangala Stadium to listen to the exiled and convicted Thaksin, who phoned in live from Hong Kong to rally popular support for an amnesty for himself.

In the meantime members of the anti-Thaksin camp, the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) still occupy Government House, the official seat of power, forcing the Somchai government to set up temporary offices at Don Mueang Airport.

Given his stalwart performance in support of former premier Thaksin following the 2006 coup, Nattawut got ahead in his political career relatively quickly, even though he never won a House seat in three previous elections.

"My constituency in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat is very tough to win. The opposition Democrat Party has controlled it for a long time. I came second in the last election," he said.

Nattawut often tells his supporters that the big difference between the Democrats and Thaksin, or his "nominees", is that the latter focus on tangible benefits for voters whereas the former are good only in terms of rhetoric.

"We're still popular because of the Bt30 universal healthcare scheme, the village funds, Otop and other projects [launched by Thaksin]," said Nattuwut, an eloquent speaker himself.

When asked about good governance and ethical behaviour in the highest office in the land, Nattawut would not respond directly.

"I guess it's hard to measure ethical standards in politics. Even though the court has convicted Thaksin [in the conflict-of-interest case involving the purchase of state land], we should also remember that the judicial process in which the ex-premier was tried wasn't really democratic, because it started following the coup," he said.

Asked how the political rift would likely end, Nattawut said: "I have no idea, but I share the opinion that there could be a disbanding of the ruling People Power Party and a dissolution of the House.

"We could come back with possibly even more House seats under the new party, called Puea Thai, and form the government again, because the majority of voters, especially in the North and Northeast, are still with us.

"Then there are two big 'what if's' in this analysis. The first is whether there will be another coup, and the second is about the PAD's strength and future prospects."

Unquote

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere in one of the other ongoing threads.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

From TOC

PAD Clarifies Definition of New Politics, All Parliamentarians to Be Elected

UPDATE : 22 September 2008

The People's Alliance for Democracy organized a brainstorming session to define a working model for its proposal for new politics. The PAD explained that under new politics, all Parliamentarians will be elected. The PAD coordinator pointed out that the main difference from old politics is a formal representation of people from different professions in the House of Representatives.

For many weeks the PAD has been campaigning for support for new politics. Initially a tentative proposal for the so called 30:70 ratio system, whereby 70 per cent of MPs is appointed, was introduced. But the idea attracted widespread criticism and pro-democracy analysts have labeled the proposal a huge step back in Thailand's democratic development. ...............Indeed it would be !

The PAD responded by saying the 30:70 model was, basically that, a model. :D

During a brainstorming session yesterday, the PAD invited representatives from various fields to map out what is hoped to be a workable framework for new politics.

PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang said the brainstorming session was merely a start of a series of discussion that will take place countrywide, allowing people from all walks of life to participate in the debate. The results of the discussion will be distributed and presented to discussion groups, made up of people from various professions.

Somkiart Pongpaiboon, another key PAD leader, stressed the importance of public participation on the drafting of new politics. He claimed that several well-respected individuals in society have anonymously submitted their own critiques of new politics to the PAD. These individuals include social critic Prawase Wasi, political scientist Chai-anand Samutwanich and former PM Anand Panyarachun.

PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila revealed the meeting has determined four main failings of the old political system. These failings include the chronic problem of vote-buying and the patronage voting system. The second problem of old politics is the failure of political institutions to remain free of capitalistic influence. Other flaws indentified by the PAD include the lack of public participation in politics and limited media freedom.

Suriyasai elaborated that tentatively, the new political system will encourage more public participation in politics and for them to act as the essential checks and balance of the system.

He stated that, under the PAD's new politics, all MPs will be elected; 50 per cent of the MPs will be elected under the constituency-based system while the other half will be elected based on profession representation. These profession groups may include NGOs, labor unions, handicapped groups and the media. :o Yeah right :D

Conclusion:

PAD is backing off.

GOOD !

LaoPo

PAD's "New Politics", is a democracy skewed to reduce the influence of the rural masses.

If the Thai elite / PAD would spend more time educating and providing opportunity for the "rural masses" then maybe they could get enough voters to make the changes they seek. So sad ......

Well...... you are of course correct ---- the current target is the rural voter. But the objective is to reduce the influence of EVERY voter in Thailand. And reduce it until it is worthless ----- unless of course you are one of the PAD power brokers (or their fellow travelers) .

The objective clearly has been reducing the power of the Thaksin lead clique of graft addicts.

The loss of power to voters would be a sad byproduct of taking on the Thaksin political machine head on.

If it wasn't thought as one of the few posible solutions it wouldn't even be raised as an argument.

Why would a 'Thaklsin family dynasty' that ALSO doesn't listen to anyone, be any better than the old guard?

Because they SAY they are helping the poor? Words are not actions, and Dr. T and crew's actions have

been primarily selfserving. And little else.

So called good works have been little more than window dressing for corruption even greater than usual.

Edited by animatic

That theory, sufficiency economy, not self-sufficiency, is being taken very seriously when Thai planners look at possible fallout from Western economic crisis.

Yeah, sure, the government itself is not doing anything about it, or about anything else for that matter.

Basically code words for not sticking you neck out into the world economy to far.

It is still getting talked about even last week.

It does make some sense in that, if the country is TOO dependent on exports,

and exports tank for external reasons, so does the country.

But if it can support itself at the very bottom line it will weather most crisis.

Is that inline with the best profits to be made in a world market no,

but it is inline with hedging risk somewhat WHILE plumbing those world markets.

As a basic concept, what the concept REALLY means in a nitty gritty sense

was never made clear...

Edited by animatic

Just yesterday I was reading an article about plans for the next year and overall direction of the economy.

Growth at all costs will simply not cut it, the country needs sufficient insulation, or isolation, if you are a fierce critic, from swings in exports and oil prices.

The current government is caught in a squabble between that pest Chaya who wants his buddies in a scandal ridden company get all the juicy contracts from the government rice pledging scheme, and Olarn, who can't believe these guys could be so blatantly corrupt.

Luckily for Thailand, the goverment itself only matters so much, all the strategic thinking and policies are done by bueraucrats, so PPP can't inflict too much damage.