New Requirements At Pattaya Immigration

Today I went to Pattaya immigration for move the stamp to new passpot issued by local italian embassy .

I brought both passport (the new and the old one) but the official asked me a letter of guarantee from my embassy that declare that this passport is issued by themselves and that is genuine.

I phone to my ermbassy and they will give me the letter (no problem) , but at the same time they been amazed for that unusual requirement.

Have someone of you knowledge about that ?

Today I went to Pattaya immigration for move the stamp to new passpot issued by local italian embassy .

I brought both passport (the new and the old one) but the official asked me a letter of guarantee from my embassy that declare that this passport is issued by themselves and that is genuine.

I phone to my ermbassy and they will give me the letter (no problem) , but at the same time they been amazed for that unusual requirement.

Now, I fear the Imm officer was not able to read.

I presume that somewhere in the passport is the phrase that shows where the passport was issued where, when and by whom.

I wonder if you want to travel outside Thailand at immigration you will be sent back to the embassy too for this letter.

STUPIDO

Edited by hansnl

From Thai immigration website.

Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport

Required documents

Expired or full passport

New passport

Request by Embassy to the Immigration Bureau to transfer the visa to the new passport

I presume that somewhere in the passport is the phrase that shows where the passport was issued where, when and by whom.

I wonder if you want to travel outside Thailand at immigration you will be sent back to the embassy too for this letter.

STUPIDO

Fake passports do exist.

Make sure to ask the embassy for the letter when you apply for the replacement.

Yes,it's sometime required,at the Officer discretion,if I remember correctly last time he asked me too,my luck he accepted the Embassy bill for the new Passport,(it's not very cheap),as proof,saving me another trip to Bkk. :o

I've had two new passports since I've been here and both times the Embassy (US) has supplied a letter with it without my asking and which immigration (CM) excepted so would have to say it is not a new requirement. But as mentioned, requirements do seem to vary from office to office.

And vary from embassy to embassy. The British do not issue a covering letter as far as I am aware. I wonder how much they will charge if they are asked to provide one? Maybe Barry has the authority to issue one locally at his coffee mornings since it's now a Pattaya and not a Suan Plu requirement?

I had my visa transferred to my new (British) passport last week. They just wanted the two passports and photocopies of some of the pages; no letter required.
same for me begining of the year ,no letter asked for .

At what immigration office? It seems that some offices want the embassy letter, others not.

--

Maestro

It is normal that only the current stamp is transfered,

but there is now a link in the computer between your old and new passports.

This may well be used to decide if you can enter again on a Visa Exemption stamp.

It is normal that only the current stamp is transfered,

but there is now a link in the computer between your old and new passports.

This may well be used to decide if you can enter again on a Visa Exemption stamp.

Regarding the link between new and old passports, it exists.

My new passport was issued 17 May 2006, and since then I've been to Laos five times and the U.S. once, no questions.

On my last departure, at Nong Khai as it happens, the Thai Immigration officer called me back after stamping my passport, turned his screen around, and pointed at it. Kept saying "passport, passport, ...." Took me a moment to catch what he was referring to, my old passport was up on the screen. Not a problem at all, don't know what he was trying to prove, all I replied was, "yes, passport mai."

Strange sometimes.

Mac

From Thai immigration website.

Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport

Required documents

Expired or full passport

New passport

Request by Embassy to the Immigration Bureau to transfer the visa to the new passport

Strange = and not a requirement in Bkk, as I transferred my non-imm B stamp last month to new passport and it took all of 10 mins to do and no request for letter from embassy - just a copy of new passport - easy as pie - would be great if getting new visas was this easy - guess it might depend on just who you happen to see on the day - as normal TIT

STUPIDO

Fake passports do exist.

Make sure to ask the embassy for the letter when you apply for the replacement.

Most embassies issue the letter automatically and it should not need to be requested.

I just got a new Swiss Passport last week. It came automaticly with a letter from the Swiss Embassy when i pick it up from Bangkok. It's correct, the Pattaya Immigration want this letter now. But the Officer at the Immigration still asked me where i got this Passport. I would like to answer: "I just print it out this morning, do you want have one too?" But i keep close my mouth, i thougt there is maybe not a goot place to make any jokes.

I have a Dutch Passport and did the change over last year. The Dutch Embassy do not issue a letter, the same as many others but in the new passport states quite clearly that the new Passport replaces Passport no... etc. This was accepted with no problem.

If Pattaya Immigration are 'going it alone' then I ask WHY? They should follow the rules laid down for the whole country and stop trying to think they are so special.

Perhaps Niels Colov (PTY EXPATS CLUB etc.) should show a bit of muscle here, instead of the endless

back slapping (crawling) that we constantly see and read in Pattaya each week.

When my wife changed her British passport from maiden name to married name we went to Pattaya Immigration to enquire about their requirements. We were advised that a letter from the embassy was required to confirm that they in fact were issuing the new passport in exchange for the old passport. When we spoke to the English gentleman at the embassy he told us this appeared to be a requirement only for Jomtien (Pattaya) immigration, however it was easy to obtain without problem and at no cost.

I always try to check with immigration days before any visa/passport changes are made to ensure that I am up to date with their latest requirments and ensuring that our stay at their offices are short and without problems. This has so far worked for me and my wife over the past 6 years.

TIT (this is Thailand) I mentioned this at the Pattaya City Expat Club meeting Sunday and hear testimony of a number of Expats who said this had not been the case with them. The overwhelming opinion of the group was "it depends who you talk to, what time of day it is and what mood they are in if they ask for this.".

I just received my new Passport, from the passport office in the U.S.A not from an embassy. I have an o-a visa that needs to be transfered, at the Pattaya office. When I return next month. Do you think there will be any problems, as I doubt I will be able to get a letter from the U.S Embassy, as they did not issue it.

Sorry, the O-A visa that was issued to you by a Thai consulate cannot be transferred to your new passport. However, if it is a multiple-entry visa you can use your old passport to enter Thailand with it as long as the visa remains valid and show your new passport at the same time.

--

Maestro