If You Were Stuck With Only One Type Of Cuisine For The Rest Of Your Life

Jingthing

What cuisine would you most like to be "stuck" with?  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This question is a little different than what is your favorite food. Instead, it is which type of food would you choose if you had to be stuck only with that type of food, and that type only, for the rest of your life. This could be different than your favorite. I ask the question for fun and also out of curiosity about how many will say Thai food. Many people say their love of Thai food is a top reason to visit or live in Thailand, and I do agree, but would Thai food be your answer to this question?

I couldn't include all types of cuisines, some bias given to SE Asia and Anglo countries.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On my part, it would be Japanese. Healthiest food of all.

On another note, Pakistani and Indian food should be separated. Traditional Indian cusine doesn't use beef much while Pakistani does.

English food....lol

Edited by CroBiker

I actually voted Italian as I could not do without it - my red pasta dishes are my favourite! However, it's a tough poll as I couldn't live without Thai food. My diet is equally spread between Italian and Thai with an occasional 'meat and 3 veg'.

My favourite staple which I could not do without is rice. :o

The spice, the range, the reliance on healthy ingredients - fruit, vegetables, leaves, herbs, the balance between protein, carbohydrates, - all make my choice Thai

Gin Khao - eat rice with flavourings of meat, fish, poultry and vegetables - mmmmmmmmmmm!

BTW, I voted Chinese. Mainly for the variety so it would be least burdensome to be "stuck" with and as a foodie type I truly think it is the greatest cuisine in the world. Such a big country with such a huge variety of cooking styles, tastes, and just about every ingredient available. With Chinese you are not even limited to rice, some regional cuisines use wonderful wheat noodles and breads. Sadly for me, the Thai Chinese variety of Chinese cooking is one of my least favorite Chinese varieties.

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, I voted Chinese. Mainly for the variety so it would be least burdensome to be "stuck" with and as a foodie type I truly think it is the greatest cuisine in the world. Such a big country with such a huge variety of cooking styles, tastes, and just about every ingredient available. Sadly for me, the Thai Chinese variety of Chinese cooking is one of my least favorite Chinese varieties.

a pity you limited the choice to a single cuisine Jingthing. i also find the option Indian/Pakistani quite flawed as it does not reflect the huge variety of different food stuff from Kashmir via Punjab and Bengal down to Tamil Nadu and Kerala.

but to conform with your poll i vote for "Chinese" cusine how it is prepared and served in Lahore, Karachi and Mumbai.

Naam, its just a hypothetical question. The poll is limited but your comments aren't. Yes, I know of Indian style Chinese.

For me it is much easier to answer this stuck with question than what is my favorite type of food. My favorite type of food kind of depends on what I am craving at the moment. For example, right now I would love a rare Argentinian bife de chorizo with chimichurri and garlic fries and a bottle of Malbec, but being stuck with Argentinian food and only Argentinian food everyday for the rest of my life would be very very boring to me.

Edited by Jingthing

Trick answer with American/Canadian. There is no such thing as a distinct American or Canadian cuisine. Rather it is a blend of many influences, the product of the different immigrant's own cuisines. The result? Variety and compositions that challenge the pallet. Don't snear. There's the fine shellfish of the east coast, hearty meals that keep yoou warm on a cold day courtesy of the First Nations and early european settlers, the light fish of the northwest, the spicey delights of TexMex, the zing of Southern BBQ, great beef from the midwest, fusion or basics of the central plains and innovations along with asian from the west coast. Why settle for one type when you can have the world :o

Trick answer with American/Canadian. There is no such thing as a distinct American or Canadian cuisine. Rather it is a blend of many influences, the product of the different immigrant's own cuisines. The result? Variety and compositions that challenge the pallet. Don't snear. There's the fine shellfish of the east coast, hearty meals that keep yoou warm on a cold day courtesy of the First Nations and early european settlers, the light fish of the northwest, the spicey delights of TexMex, the zing of Southern BBQ, great beef from the midwest, fusion or basics of the central plains and innovations along with asian from the west coast. Why settle for one type when you can have the world :o

Well, I grouped US/Canada only for space convenience, but I disagree with you; there IS an American cuisine. Yes. it is very varied but it is distinctively American. All cuisines all over the world were influenced by ingredients/cooking styles from other parts of the world. America is not different that way. Imagine Italian without tomatoes or Thai without chilies, both not native products. I think the main culinary influences on American cuisine are native Indian products, German, English, French, and Mexican. I would say Italian-American food is a variety of Italian and Chinese-American food is a variety of Chinese, but dishes like New England clam chowder or Texas BBQ or crawfish file gumbo or fried green tomatoes (don't get me started) are American.

Edited by Jingthing

I realized . No Korean . I would have voted for it.. no its not the same as Japanese at all.

Yes, for space limitations left out alot of great choices. I agree Korean is a good one and very different than Japanese. I love Korean but would be surprised if so many non-Koreans would choose it as a stuck-with food. Kimchi everyday?

Edited by Jingthing

Chinese - do you mean Cantonese, Szechuan, Shanghai, Hunan?

which leads on to Issan, Central or southern Thai cuisine.

Australian food = picking the best bits from other cultures and mixing and matching

ALL Chinese. ALL Thai. There are probably scores of variations of Chinese. Thats why I think a great choice for those who love variety. Being stuck with only one variety of Chinese, not so good unless you are really crazy about that kind.

I included Aust/NZ as an antipodean diplomatic gesture ... I doubt its the favorite world cuisine of many.

Edited by Jingthing

I voted for Indian precisely because of it's wide variation from region to region. Because Indian food makes use of a wider variety of pulses & grains besides just rice, as a long term option, it beats my other favourite - Thai.

Also because some types of Indian cuisine use a lot of dairy products the sweets & desserts are far superior to Thai desserts (not many sweets anywhere in the world beat a quality gulab jamon).

If you do have a craving for beef - most Goan restaurants (if you can find one) make a decent 'Goan chili beef'.

This can all be washed down with a refreshing bhang lassi. :o

I voted for Indian precisely because of it's wide variation from region to region. Because Indian food makes use of a wider variety of pulses & grains besides just rice, as a long term option, it beats my other favourite - Thai.

Also because some types of Indian cuisine use a lot of dairy products the sweets & desserts are far superior to Thai desserts (not many sweets anywhere in the world beat a quality gulab jamon).

If you do have a craving for beef - most Goan restaurants (if you can find one) make a decent 'Goan chili beef'.

This can all be washed down with a refreshing bhang lassi. :D

bhang = :o lassi = :D

Chinese cuisine?

I worked inside mainland China from 1980 to 1989 and never encountered Chinese cuisine. It's a myth. Now there's some stunning American/Chinese, British/Chinese and Hong Kong/Chinese as well as Thai/Chinese and probably Australian/Chinese that is to die for. But Chinese/Chinese?

What's mandarin for barff bag?

I agree with geriatric kid about American food. Corn, potatoes, tomatoes, chiles, pizza, hamburger, hot dogs, steaks, lasagna, chili con carne, more Mexican food, roast beef, BBQ, cakes and pies, even a variety of soft drinks, lots of dairy products, stews, soups, Chinese adaptations, etc. I just go crazy when I get home to a $9 all-you-can-engorge luncheon buffet.

Australian food = picking the best bits from other cultures and mixing and matching

Like a fried egg AND a slice of beetroot AND as pineapple ring in your 'burger.

Yummm!

Ham steak and pineapple

Pineapple fritters

Tinned Pineapple is of course a food group on its own!

Chinese cuisine?

I worked inside mainland China from 1980 to 1989 and never encountered Chinese cuisine. It's a myth. Now there's some stunning American/Chinese, British/Chinese and Hong Kong/Chinese as well as Thai/Chinese and probably Australian/Chinese that is to die for. But Chinese/Chinese?

What's mandarin for barff bag?

This is why I didn't choose Chinese and went for Japanese instead.

I do have to admit that primarily Japanese with an Italian meal once a week would be much more enjoyable. :o

I agree with geriatric kid about American food. Corn, potatoes, tomatoes, chiles, pizza, hamburger, hot dogs, steaks, lasagna, chili con carne, more Mexican food, roast beef, BBQ, cakes and pies, even a variety of soft drinks, lots of dairy products, stews, soups, Chinese adaptations, etc. I just go crazy when I get home to a $9 all-you-can-engorge luncheon buffet.

If I could call everything you can get in San Francisco restaurants "American food", that would be perfect. Somehow, though, I think that would be cheating. :o

Like a fried egg AND a slice of beetroot AND as pineapple ring in your 'burger.

Yummm!

Ham steak and pineapple

Pineapple fritters

Tinned Pineapple is of course a food group on its own!

Guys you can get all the stuff here too..lots of pineapple everywhere