Ruby Murray

Moonrakers

I am sure that this has been asked a million times already on TV, but I haven't had a good ruby for ages and so have decided to do so tomorrow night. But where?

Can anybody recommend a decent curry house with reasonable prices in the Sukhumvit area.

thanks

Just tried the one on the corner of the soi housing cabbages and condoms (Soi 12?) yesterday. It's under new management and the ruby was excellent. Three of us went with a full meal and an ale each it was about 700 a pop.

Bon apetit

Edited by AjarnP

Ah, this old chesnut. You might want to try Mr Shalimar's place (can't remember exactly what it's called - Shalimar something) on Suk 11, just behind Cheap Charlie's (there's 2 right next to each other - it's the one on the right - don't make the mistake of going in the one on the left, it's terrible). Good food and reasonable prices, though it's pretty shabby in terms of decor, ambience etc. Also Mr Shalimar is a great old fellow, make sure you have a chat with him. As for getting an 'English style curry' (I know you didn't specifically ask for this but I assume this is something you might well be interested in, since you're a fellow Brit) I've pretty much given up on this, since I don't believe such a thing exists here. The closest I've manged is from Bollywood (via Food By Phone), but even this isn't particularly close. Search the threads for other suggestions. There's plenty.

mk

Slightly off topic

But if you are in Phuket

London Pub

Owned by an indian guy born and breed in East London, does a fantastic English Curry

In Samui

go to Kush Bar, again owned by a guy from the UK, does a fantastic curry to ( they are sponsors in the Samui Forum )

Hey, Cockney lingo expert. Had to look that one up on wikipedia.

Anyway, is there something special about curry in Britain? Isn't it just Indian curry? There are plenty of places with good curry all over Sukhumvit, in my opinion. But I have had good curry somewhere around Nana across from one of those hookah joints on what some call the Arab soi.

Hey, Cockney lingo expert. Had to look that one up on wikipedia.

Anyway, is there something special about curry in Britain? Isn't it just Indian curry? There are plenty of places with good curry all over Sukhumvit, in my opinion. But I have had good curry somewhere around Nana across from one of those hookah joints on what some call the Arab soi.

Due to the history between the two countries curry is an everyday part of English life and could even be called an English/British tradition, similarily High tea is a tradition in India after being imported by the British.

There are more Indian restaurants than any other type (Including English), and there are even Indian curries unique to Britain, that cannot be found in India.

Clearly you are not a Brit, otherwise you would not have had to look up the meaning of "Ruby Murray". And so unfortunately for yourself you have not had the pleasure of experiencing the deep rooted cultural practice of going to a pub with the lads, drinking WAY WAY too much, piling into a curry house at the end of the night, continue to drink WAY WAY too much and ordering then eating a curry that is WAY too hot for you, scorning at the waiters when they suggest some yoghurt to cool the curry for you.

Happy days.

No, but I've had the pleasure of having late night kebabs in England, and eaten some good curry there as well. I don't rightly know if the curry I had was unique to Britain or not. So, I guess ya, it looks like it would be hard to find good curry in Bangkok if you want authentic British curry. I guess it's akin to some so called Mexican food in the U.S. not being able to be found in Mexico.

OK.

I took advice from here and went to Shalimar's, and I was not disappointed.

The 'shabby' decor, in my opinion, just added character to the place. The food was good quality and with servings generous enough that not one of us finished our meal

The most surprising thing for me was the price, despite being well fed and a couple of beers each the bill came to about 500 baht per head.

Oh, and they served these delicious small pickled onions that nobody could get enough of.

I shall be going back

Excellent news. Really glad to hear you enjoyed it and everything worked out. Yeah, I quite like the shabby aspect as well, not to mention Mr Shalimar (or is it Mr Sharma - just remembered it's called Shalimar Sharma) shuffling around and occasionally yelling at the customers. Had a really good chat with him outside one day where he generally lounges about smoking incessantly. He's been in Bangkok since the early '60s and has a load of interesting anecdotes about the city. My favourite spot in there is next to the old fish tank on the right where those big weird orange fish sit (or rather float) and stare at you the whole time.

mk

I havnt tried Mr Shalimars, but after reading this thread I guess I will. I have visited the Indian curry place on Sukhumvit about 250 meters down from Soi 22 on the opposite side and I would say it is very good, but more Indian than Brit. However after working for many years in India I do enjoy the slightly more subtle Indian curry, especially if they are true to the region.

Incidentally on a per plate basis curry's can now be considered the UK national dish as they sell more than Fish and Chips.

Pattaya has Many curry houses but again most are Indian rather than UK. But if they serve the small red onions I dont care !!

Freddie

Last time I was in BKK, I tried a couple of Indian restaurants on soi 8 which I thought were quite good. Bukhara (or something like that at the entrance to soi 7) was ok too. Haven't been for a long time but the best in BKK for me though was the Rang Mahal which is in the Rembrandt hotel if I remember correctly.

I thought everyone's posts were excellent so I underlined all of them. :o

There is little place on soi8 but i forget the name. There is a little lane way around 10meteres down soi 8 from Sukhumvit and excellent food and cheap. Don'T go to the big one on soi 8 , but the one down the lane

Bollywood o Soi 4 is getting alot of recommendations for it's curries

That'd be my tip & i love an " English " Curry more than Mum's & i'm 100% serious about that ( don't tell her though :o )

I'll have to look up that Guy in Phuket, sounds right up my Street & hopefully a Hammer too..

I'll have to look up that Guy in Phuket, sounds right up my Street & hopefully a Hammer too..

You from over East Singh? Among the few things I really miss about London are my regular in Commercial St. and the Rubys up the Bethnal Green Road...

You from over East Singh? Among the few things I really miss about London are my regular in Commercial St. and the Rubys up the Bethnal Green Road...

Yes Mate, Stratford, Plaistow & Custom House, i went to School in Forest Gate..

I had an outstanding Ruby tonight from Mrs Balbir's (which I believe is somewhere on Suk 11/1). All this came about by accident, since Food by Phone have apparently had some kind of falling out with Bollywood (my default choice - it's disappeared entirely from the website) and I was forced to re-evaluate my curry options. I remembered reading good things about Mrs B's somewhere or other (probably here) and decided to give it a shot. I'm glad I did since it was definitely the best Indian food I've eaten here. Worth noting is if you're going to order from this particular restaurant (delivery), then definitely order from ChefsXP, since they are significantly cheaper than Food by Phone (something to do with the 'No Mark-up' policy they're always banging on about). Anyway, highly recommended...

mk

Decent microwaveable frozen curry and rice in Villa Market in the Ploenchit Centre (and elsewhere, like Emporium). Nan's are ok too. About Bt150/200 or so each.

Any particular brand to look out for?

Can't remember but perhaps black background with fancy gold writing ? Look for Chicken Makahani or similar. Comes with rice. If you find that one, you have the right brand. They also do a lamb one with rice with peas in it. Same brand. The chicken ticka is only average and the prawn one is a little too sweet for me but the others are ok. Deffo ok for the freezer job.

Can't remember but perhaps black background with fancy gold writing ? Look for Chicken Makahani or similar. Comes with rice. If you find that one, you have the right brand. They also do a lamb one with rice with peas in it. Same brand. The chicken ticka is only average and the prawn one is a little too sweet for me but the others are ok. Deffo ok for the freezer job.

Lovely cheers.