Any Thai Banks Affected?

I have been paying close attention to what has been going on in the States and Europe, but not much info about the risk to Thai banks. Anyone know?

I know there were some strong controls put in place after the 1997 crash. Anyone have substantiated reservations about moving funds into Thai banks?

The Thai government is telling people the Thai exposure to the US crisis is limited. But if the US meltdown did escalate, what is to stop a worldwide panic that does spread to Thailand where the masses of people withdrawal all their money from the bank? In that case, no bank anywhere can deliver unlimited withdrawals without freezing accounts or going under. So this is more about the psychology of fear than anything.

Edited by Jingthing

I have been paying close attention to what has been going on in the States and Europe, but not much info about the risk to Thai banks. Anyone know?

I know there were some strong controls put in place after the 1997 crash. Anyone have substantiated reservations about moving funds into Thai banks?

Which Thai bank you with ??? :o

I posted on another thread that I'd recently purchased a piece of land. Not wholly accurate, as I put about 50% down, and for no particular reason my Mrs told the seller, she would pay the remainder in January. This week I started thinking about the 4,000 baht my money would make between now and January, vs the possibility that it might not be there at all. I instructed the Mrs to tell the buyer we would be completing our sale now. The Mrs, being the Mrs, got them to take a 5,0000 baht discount for doing so. Anywho, we went into the bank for 500,000 cash and no one blinked an eye. doesn't seem to be too many worries there, at Thanachart at least.