Laos Closed For Visa For 10 Days?

Temporary freeze on Lao visas

Lao immigration authorities have announced no visas will be issued, either on arrival or through its embassies, for the period from November 22 to December 1 during the ASEAN Summit Meetings in Vientiane.

The last-minute announcement comes as a shock to tour operators, who will have to cancel or alter itineraries for clients who do not already possess visas.

A spokesman for the Lao embassy in Bangkok said the decision to suspend visa approvals was made in order to insure security for delegates attending the conference. “Many hotels are already fully booked during the summit, so visitors would not be able to find lodging in any case,” he said.

Meanwhile, in anticipation of hosting meetings for the ASEAN Summit next month, the Lao Plaza hotel has opened a new conference room and renovated its executive floors and suite rooms. The new 200 square meter Plaza Hall accommodates up to 60 guests theater-style. The US$2.5 million project also includes renovations to the deluxe suite and 33 executive rooms, with new desks, work areas and pantries. (TTG Asia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is only closed if you want to go to Vientianne until Dec 1. I did a visa run to the thai consulate in Savannakhet last tuesday. I crossed over at Mukdahan and got my Lao visa at the ferry wharf in Savannakhet. No problems encountered at all.

It is only closed if you want to go to Vientianne until Dec 1.  I did a visa run to the thai consulate in Savannakhet last tuesday.  I crossed over at Mukdahan and got my Lao visa at the ferry wharf in Savannakhet.  No problems encountered at all.

Strange..........this seems to contradict their own press release. After all who's to say where you go once you are in the country. :o