Blueray Movies At 100 Baht!

Richb2004v2

I was at my local DVD retailer the other day picking up some new movies when I noticed that they now sell BlueRay movies at 100baht. Surley they havn't cracked this format already. They may have been Chinese. I don't have a Blue Ray player and have no plans of getting one any time soon, but I just wondered if they are exactley the same as real BlueRay disks.

Anyone tried them?

Blu Ray movies were cracked about 2 months after the tech was released. Was pretty funny after Sony had boasted how it was "uncrackable". However that is still a very low price for a copied disc, I saw them for around 300 each in Fortune IT mall, becareful they arent fobbing you off with just a regular dvd.

Edited by davejonesbkk

They are probably more like micro HD rips .... the ones you'll find all over the Net for free. They range from 1Gig to 3 Gig, so fit easily on a single DVD. The media is a DVD, the rip is from a Blue Ray or HD DVD.

Probably transferred from a .mkv to a DVD format. However, the quality is usually better than a ripped DVD movie. The same scam these pirates did with DVD9 dics, which were in most cases DVD5's.

Easiest to find out ... buy one and put it in your DVD Rom. If it doesn't run, it's a Blue Ray disc .....

Edited by sniffdog

The Blu-Ray discs I've found in Mae Sai were all just plain old DVDs. They like to add logos to counterfeit discs that make them appear to be using the latest and greatest technology, many of the audio discs also reports that they are using SACD format.

While bluray and HD-DVD are cracked and loads of 1080p stuff is online for downloads, so far all the DVD's I have seen for sale are simply DVD9 dual layer discs !!

Someone was even posting how he had bought hacked blue ray discs here for 250 baht each, and then when pushed realized they were 8 or so GB in his PC drive !! :o

I was at my local DVD retailer the other day picking up some new movies when I noticed that they now sell BlueRay movies at 100baht. Surley they havn't cracked this format already. They may have been Chinese. I don't have a Blue Ray player and have no plans of getting one any time soon, but I just wondered if they are exactley the same as real BlueRay disks.

Anyone tried them?

Hi,

I bought a couple of supposed to be BLURAY dvds at around 300 baht each after long haggling.

AsI came back home, watched them believing they were BLURAYs-I found no differences from regular DVD9 tho.

Later on I became suspicious about these BLU-RAYs, check the size of them as I was advised from a TV member.

THEY WERE NOT BLU-RAYS, but regular dvd9s.

watch out buddy!

J.C

Most of the 100 baht movies are rarely dvd 9s, usually they are dvd 5s.

Especially the new movies. If it is a dvd9 chances are you can buy an original for 189 baht at mangpong which is licensed and include the box and cover.

However some blu ray discs are out there. These aren't copied or written but leaked manufactured discs.

There's a difference between a copied disc and a pumped disc.

Pumped discs are from a factory and presses and screens the discs (low manufacturing costs via mass production and economy of scale) usually these are from China or some overseas country.

The copied discs are just from some people that write movies using their PC at home.

blu-ray for 100-300 baht doesn't seem right. I thnk these are copied from blu-ray discs. However if its 500 baht I think it could be for real. Original discs cost like 1,500 baht.

Most of the 100 baht movies are rarely dvd 9s, usually they are dvd 5s.

Especially the new movies. If it is a dvd9 chances are you can buy an original for 189 baht at mangpong which is licensed and include the box and cover.

Locally bit perfect DVD5 and rarely DVD9s.. Full animated menus but often with the multiple soundtracks and DTS removed are 50 baht each.

Good answers. I was always suspicious of those 300 baht ones and had a feeling they would just be dvd 9 passed off as bu ray.

Actually, the knock off Blu Ray discs are now selling for around THB 200 and they are DVD 9's, with the DVD 9's being DVD 5's. I have no idea what the DVD 5's really are.

Good answers. I was always suspicious of those 300 baht ones and had a feeling they would just be dvd 9 passed off as bu ray.

Actually, the knock off Blu Ray discs are now selling for around THB 200 and they are DVD 9's, with the DVD 9's being DVD 5's. I have no idea what the DVD 5's really are.

Kinda conflicting statement tho.. A DVD9 is a DVD9.. A DVD5 is a DVD5 and a blueray is a blueray none are the other despite any claims..

My shop is 90% DVD5 but with 10% DVD9.. They never claim one is the other.. Most of the DVD 5s that are not new releases are bit perfect copies with animated menus but missing extras, commentary, etc to get them on the single layer.. New releases can be any sourced files.

blu rays are blu rays. Different lasers different capacity.

DVD 9s are usually double layer 9GBs or masters. These are pumped from a factory or copied from an already available master. Sometimes from a region 5 country or a master that is already out like from rental stores, etc.

DVD 5s are usually converted hacked, stolen avi or divx files burned onto a single layer dvd disc 4.7GB.

Of course the quality is lacking like no ac3 or dts and the resolution is not quite quality.

There is another type like combos. The ones where 3 or 4 movies are sold on a single disc. These are compressed divx, avi files. The same kind you can get from a torrent.

Kinda conflicting statement tho.. A DVD9 is a DVD9.. A DVD5 is a DVD5 and a blueray is a blueray none are the other despite any claims..

My shop is 90% DVD5 but with 10% DVD9.. They never claim one is the other.. Most of the DVD 5s that are not new releases are bit perfect copies with animated menus but missing extras, commentary, etc to get them on the single layer.. New releases can be any sourced files.

When the OP says he can buy a blu ray disk for THB 100, I know he is going to a place similar to where I go (although they are THB 200 where I go). They say these are blu ray disks, but they are obviously not. Go buy one at THB 100-300 and see what you think.

You can get copied Blu-rays I paid ฿450 for mine. It's Terminator 2 and around 16gig if i remember correctly. It's ok but it's just the film, no menu or extras but does have 5.1 sound. Plays on my PS3 fine but obviously doesn't work in the dvd player. The ฿100 ones are dvd9s copied from a master Blu-ray and compressed a little or so I was told (still good quality, better than the dvd5's) I'd rather pay $17 and get the real thing shipped from the US though. Same region as Honk Kong so no problems with playback.

Edited by miniwai

The Blue Rays disks that I saw were not in normal packing. They were in a much better quality cardboard insert. They looked like the ones that normally come from China. In fact they look like some DVDs that I bought in China a while ago and were all terrible quality.

Maybe I will buy one this week just to try on my DVD player, since I don't have a Blue Ray player. I will let you know.

The "Blu-rays" in the cardboard sleeves are DVD9s copied from a master Blu-ray. The "real" copied Blu-rays come in the blue hard cases just like the real ones and cost ฿450 (in Hattyai) I have bought both, the Chinese ones play fine in my DVD player and the Blu-rays only work in my PS3.

• 10 months later...

Last night a friend showed me two Blue-Ray disks bought in China.

Both are definitely Blue-Ray.

One played perfectly.

The second played for the promo part, but failed to produce any sound once the film started. :)

The cost was $5 a disk.

PS I am not advocating piracy, just reporting the facts.

• 4 months later...

I would like to update the today Blue Ray Disc as below:

200 baht at the building near Rama9 intersection: It's real blu ray (won't work with DVD player) but the seller cut off all features and some sound format, remaining only movie

150 baht (same above building) DVD 9 copy converted from BluRay original disc (use DVD player to play). I've tested the movie quality is better than normal DVD9 but as bluray yet

there are alot of shops where get the disc from diferent sources inside the store. I've spent alot of money untill I found the good quality one.

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to update the today Blue Ray Disc as below:

200 baht at the building near Rama9 intersection: It's real blu ray (won't work with DVD player) but the seller cut off all features and some sound format, remaining only movie

150 baht (same above building) DVD 9 copy converted from BluRay original disc (use DVD player to play). I've tested the movie quality is better than normal DVD9 but as bluray yet

there are alot of shops where get the disc from diferent sources inside the store. I've spent alot of money untill I found the good quality one.

Just because they don't work in a DVD player doesn't mean that they're not DVD discs.

They can take the Blu-ray source and convert it to MPEG 4. That compresses a lot more than the MPEG 2 on a DVD, and means that you can get an HD movie in the space of a regular DVD disk. (8Gb).

It won't play in a DVD player (as MPEG4 isn't part of the DVD format).

It will play in a Blu-ray player (as MPEG4 IS part of the Bluray format).

The simplest way to tell would be to try it in a DVD drive on a computer. If it's not a Blu-ray drive, and it plays, it's a blu-ray movie cut down to fit into the space on a DVD.

It's not all bad - it's a far better movie than a regular DVD (it is high-def source material), but it's not a proper Bluray.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...