Art Lessons In Chiang Rai?

lannaman

Its kind of sad we dont have art school in CR while we have alot of artists here (well known in national level too).

Maybe is best for you to contact local artist around your location.

From this site : http://www.chiangraifocus.com/guide_book/l...artis/index.htm

If you live in Amphur Muang area you can contact one of these people, perhaps they can give your son private lesson.

http://www.chiangraifocus.com/guide_book/lanna-artis/19.html

Chiang Rai I Oon at 26 Moo 2, Ban Doo

0-5395-2026, 08-9835-5690

http://www.chiangraifocus.com/guide_book/lanna-artis/23.html

Ban Ngern Dee

He teach at Technic school of Chiang Rai, art subject.

25/2 Moo 22, Phor Khun Road Soi 5, Rob Wiang, Amphur Muang Chiang Rai

08-9558-2470

http://www.chiangraifocus.com/guide_book/lanna-artis/24.html

Huern Sin Mae Ying Lanna

209 Soi 13 Nam Jai, Sun Koong Luang Road, Tumbol Wiang, Amphur Muang Chiang Rai

08-6185-2271

Good luck!

Yes, personally I think that this is a perfect example of acting in one’s own self-interest by our dear White and Black artists that have more money than any aspiring artist student could dream about. So instead of trying to whiten/gild any building available or turn everything into gothic shrines of sacrifice, an art school would not only be good for any students that are interested but for Chiang Rai in general. With the amount om pompous artistic pride that the heavy weights here possess students from all over the country would be streaming in.

But no no no! That's dangerous for the integrity and the fragile little self-esteem that most artists have too much of.

Yes, personally I think that this is a perfect example of acting in one’s own self-interest by our dear White and Black artists that have more money than any aspiring artist student could dream about. So instead of trying to whiten/gild any building available or turn everything into gothic shrines of sacrifice, an art school would not only be good for any students that are interested but for Chiang Rai in general. With the amount om pompous artistic pride that the heavy weights here possess students from all over the country would be streaming in.

But no no no! That's dangerous for the integrity and the fragile little self-esteem that most artists have too much of.

A beautiful description of the actual situation and sadly enough to the point!

The Chiang Rai Sala of artists counts more than forty members, a fact that would qualify Chiang Rai to become a Thai version of Ubud on Bali, Honfleur in France, Aschenbach in Germany and Bergen in the Netherlands, small towns that gained worldwide recognition because of their artist populations.

Chiang Rai has an enormeous cultural potential but is held hostage by its pompous and in many cases absolutely imcompetent self appointed cultural popes.

There is no structure in the towns cultural policies, simply because the people who are now in charge never attended art-schools, never learned to have any notion about beauty. They just repeat what is done before.

Anything new is a threat to them. Recently one of the cultural popes of Chiang Rai ordered a work of art to be destroyed because he didn't like it. Everybody looked in another direction, nobody wanted to get involved. In many countries in the western world he would have been working in the garden next day.

In the best of all circumstances they learned something by the method "say after me: this is beautiful" and then, collectively with the other students they obediently said "this is beautiful, thank you teacher".

Within the Sala there are several factions, a fact that immobilises almost all. Believe me, there are some very good artists in Chiang Rai who certainly meet international standards. And the art-schools (Rajabhat, Smoodtai and the Alliance Française) have excellent and motivated art-teachers. But it will take another generation before beauty will start winning terrain on ugliness in Chiang Rai.

Just look at most houses in town, this horrible kind of constructor-architecture, the combination of colours, the total kitsch and ugliness that reaches from the curtains to the ridiculous baroque gates which all seem to be copied from the Elyssé in Paris and all this in a confusing combination with Korinthian pillars from ancient Greece :o .

'Taste' my dear friends, is not given to anybody by birth alone: it's the visual environment in one grows up of which architecture might be the most important factor and guidance by those who have a greater insight in these matters.

For the decade to come a deadly conservative conformism will go on setting the tone (why do you think this is beautiful? Because my teacher said so forty years ago!).

But change will come! Below the local cultural popes there is a layer of good people waiting for their time to come.

Limbo :D

Limbo are you saying you dont like the architecture of my house ?? :D

My dear Erg,

To the contrary: I am absolutely convinced that your house is a perfect example of the Dutch-Akha-Thai architectonial style, typical in this area during the frist decade of the 21st century.

Be assured that it as such will be on the list of national monuments and historical buildings and that it will be visited by thousands of choolchildren within the frame-work of class visits. I am also sure that the sister of your wife, an art student, will have a great future as curator of this historical site and that once your daughter will write a book about it, probably with the title "Ban Puen Monument, yes, it was me growing up there!".

Another name will be added to our local architectonial fame. Thawan Duchanee and Chalermchai Kositpipat will get company, namely of Erg Himself. I am proud to know you!

See you soon!

Limbo :o

Thanks for the previous posts, some helpful to my original topis post and some off track!

I paid a visit to the Alliance Francais yesterday. They can help our boy next month when the schools are back in full swing.

They hope to have an after-school class then, at 5pm. The teacher (A pleasant thai) can give individual tuition too, but at a price.

• 1 year later...

Dear Lannaman,

A full year passed since you put forward your question in the columns of our remarkable forum.

And finally I might be able to give you a usefull tip! I hope your son doesn't feel himself too old for art in the main time (12? :) ).

Sunday November 1st it will happen for the first time and from then on every Sunday, between 10 am (soft start at 9) and 2 pm (play and pick up time until 3):

Art / English / Kitchen

Nobody less than our beloved art-teacher Kru Sayarm will at his home in Pa Ngiew (500 meter from the main entrance of the Rai Mae Fah Luang) organise cultural meetings for children.

On the menue will be drawing, painting, music, creative and artistic cooking (and eating of course, don't ask me for details though),

but also for instance botanical excursions under the professional guidance of Kru Yong, the assistant teacher, to the 'magical garden' of the Rai, as the natural environment traditionally is an essential part of the art-world of Kru Sayarm. The language will predominantly be English.

For more information about the artist and teacher Sayarm Pueng-udom please see the information about his last exhibition in ANGKRITGALLERY:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Don-t-Unders...08#entry2996208

Please PM me for detailed information.

And this counts for everybody with children between 5 and 12 who like their children to enjoy themselves as much as the children in the pictures do (see ANGKRITGALLERY link).

Limbo :D

post-6305-1254879938_thumb.jpg post-6305-1254879908_thumb.jpg post-6305-1254879970_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo