A Home For Homeless Dogs?

femi fan

I'm sure i've heard of a place or company in chiang mai that takes in homeless dogs and looks after them, and seeks to find homes for them.

Does anyone know of such a place in chiang mai? We have a poor little dog that seems to have arrived into our project from somewhere recently. He has taken to sleeping in our garden, but we're not able to adopt it, and clearing up its shit every day is not what i'd really like to be doing. I know i can better dog-proof our gate, but it would be nice to solve the problem by finding him a home.

I'm sure i've heard of a place or company in chiang mai that takes in homeless dogs and looks after them, and seeks to find homes for them.

Does anyone know of such a place in chiang mai? We have a poor little dog that seems to have arrived into our project from somewhere recently. He has taken to sleeping in our garden, but we're not able to adopt it, and clearing up its shit every day is not what i'd really like to be doing. I know i can better dog-proof our gate, but it would be nice to solve the problem by finding him a home.

The best thing you can do is to find some mercy in your heart and take care of the dog yourself. I don't mean adopting it, but you can feed and treat her if nessesary, and try to find a new owner yourself, everywhere. I believe it's what every person should do when sees animal in trouble.

It could be difficult and you should be really responsible. Giving a pet to somebody another like shelter isn't responsibility.

Shelters are overwhelmed with pets suffered in road accidents and left, and so on. They have their own problems. They can be kind, too, and take care of that dog, but do try to help this little one yourself.

Moreover, if you find idea about finding a new home for him nice...

Good luck!

Try these two places:

http://www.carefordogs.org/

http://www.lannadog.net/en/index.html

Good luck!

/ Priceless

You know, homeless dogs are surely happy ! They don't eat a lot, but they are free.

In Thailand, when people want help poor old dogs, they drive them to a temple, where they finish their life quietly.

This is a very naive, rosy-spectacled view of the situation. Actually, in Thailand, people throw their dogs away as though they're a disposable commodity. This happens particularly when they're sick and/or pregnant and it's left to the extremely over-stretched dog charities to do the best they can, which is never enough to cover the enormous problem. Not all monks are willing to accept new animals into their temples - I recently found 4 puppies outside a temple I help out with (sterilizations and a bit of extra food) and the monks absolutely refused to take them into the temple. The only way one of the charities would accept the puppies (much too young to be away from the mother) was with a donation. Their homes are full of unwanted dogs. The most helpful thing anyone can do is to organize sterilization as any amount of preventing the production line from continuing is better than nothing.

Thanks for providing those links Priceless.

I am so pleased that some folks are able to help the many dogs that search for an existence on the streets and in temples here in Chiang Mai.

Having written the last line and the following, I am in danger of causing this thread to be closed, as I will be drawing attention to a those links. Not wanting to moan too much but I am now quite bored with having my posts removed.

Yesterday I was at a reputable 24 hour veterinarian facility, when I was approached by a fellow foreigner asking for my advice about what to do regarding a difficult doggy problem.

He had seen a dog suffering at the hands of the person they referred to as 'the owner' and noticed the poor health of the dog. After sneaking the dog away to the vet, the dog was found to have dead pups inside and she was likely to die if not helped quickly.

He said he wanted to pay all the costs and then find a better home for the dog after surgery. He stood by his words, he discussed it with 'the owner' paid the vet bills and has now organised a new home for her.

Now doesn't that make you want to smile eh? It did me... after I stopped crying!

Ally

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately i think i've not been quick enough with my thinking. Having not faced this situation before, it has panned out too fast for my brain to make the right choices. It has now been dealt with. I hope not too badly.

Last night we made our gate more dogproof with some plastic stuff you get for plants. As we were doing this i felt a bastard! I went along with it because uppermost in mind was a garden littered with poops and the smell. Anyhow, the clever dog still got through and i woke up to see her sleeping the corner of our sala again. I felt almost happy. However it was time for me to get to work. The project security men had suggested we catch the dog and 'throw' it over the wall where there is an overgrown palm tree orchard. My girlfriend would not agree to this which was just as well, because it was a no-no. However their idea was to catch it and take it to a nearby temple. I had hoped to wake up and find some answers here, which there may well be once i get a chance to look at the links. However the possibility of just letting the dog come and go as she pleases had been gaining ground for me. It was my first answer, but offset by the 'toilet' problem.

Now, it is in the temple, but apparently after the security man had somehow drawn blood from the dog's foot. All the men wanted it to go over the wall. But now my girlfriend and another wife next door calmed the poor animal down and took it to the temple. In the process of all this, the food my girlfriend had prepared for it (it was too fearful to eat it while the security man was trying to get it) was forgotten about. Anyway, i've asked my girlfriend to take the food to the temple. I'm unfortunately at work.

This is all so sad. The dog problem is always sad in this country, but i've always done my best to not think about it. After all, we'd be nervous wrecks if we let the canine and human suffering that goes on in thailand, in asia, affect us all the time.

But this one came to me, came to my home. I'm now just left wishing we had let it come and go as it pleased. I"m sure it would have moved on at some point. It was simply not an option for us to adopt it, but freedom of movement at the expense of clearing up the shit seems a minor intrusion on our lives.

Like i said, all along i felt what we should do in my heart, but my head lagged behind. Incidentally i've some unbearable cruelty in my time living in bangkok, coming to chiang mai seemed a more humane place for both humans and dogs. Why people here buy the puppies but then when they grow up dispose of them i'll never know. Life is life, and chucking a dog out of your home is no different to chucking out a baby that cries too much. Where is the sanctity of life? Where is the empathy for living creatures?

I don't quite know what to do next. I guess i shall have to try and find her at the temple, assuming she's still there and been accepted by the other dogs there. Feed her. But that is just trying to assuage my guilt.

All really sad, and it's ruined my day, not to mention the poor dog.

Try these two places:

http://www.carefordogs.org/

http://www.lannadog.net/en/index.html

Good luck!

/ Priceless

Thanks for these. The first one is not so far from me, and i think i'll follow this up, even if it's just that we can help for future dog problems. This has affected me since it came directly to my consciousness and i was unable to block it out.

The best thing you can do is to find some mercy in your heart and take care of the dog yourself. I don't mean adopting it, but you can feed and treat her if nessesary, and try to find a new owner yourself, everywhere. I believe it's what every person should do when sees animal in trouble.

It could be difficult and you should be really responsible. Giving a pet to somebody another like shelter isn't responsibility.

Shelters are overwhelmed with pets suffered in road accidents and left, and so on. They have their own problems. They can be kind, too, and take care of that dog, but do try to help this little one yourself.

Moreover, if you find idea about finding a new home for him nice...

Good luck!

Your course of action was the one my heart was telling me to do. I'm too late by just a few hours. However if i'm too late to help this one, i feel kind of compelled at the minute to do 'dog work' in the future.

I hope so. I saw way too many dogs treated badly and dying in temples. And what Thai people tend to do bringing animals there is really irresposible.

Well, for the moment there's a kind of happy bit to the story, at least for me. I got home and me and my girlfriend went with the food (pork spare ribs and rice) to the temple where the neighbour took the dog this morning. Quite a big and quiet temple (this is near saraphi area i'm taking about) we looked all around it. We saw just two dogs sleeping, both looking anything but thin. Finally we got to the last corner we'd not looked at, and up some stairs we could see the little dog! She looked up and must have recognised us, the cold heartless people who had made her go somewhere else! Anyhow, after a few minutes of trying to conquer her fear, she went down the first set of steps where we had left the food, and enjoyed the feast.

She then left that area and trotted off somewhere else within the complex. I don't really know what to do next, but i guess we'll keep checking on her every day for a while.

Maybe this is a good temple for dogs.

I am told that, in general, the temples don't take care of the dumped animal, they allow them to stay on the grounds, but they have to fend for themselves. Small dogs and cats are overwhelmed by big dogs and have a hard time getting any food if someone drops some off.

Kulab from the Art Cafe tries to bring them food when she can, but she has to do everything herslef and the monks won't help her.

Please give animal a home if you can. Those places are almost as bad as starving on the street. :o