Arbys In Chiang Mai

Mestizo

Noticed a new restaurant in town. Very near the Mike's Burgers, next to the moat. (forgive me, I still don't know road names). The sign is advertising Texas Roast Beef and the sign looks extremely similar to the popular American franchise, Arby's. Anybody got any additional info about this place? When is it going to open, etc?

Below are pics of the new sign on this place and an Arby's sign :o

Mike knows his beef. His Miguel's was California style, his hambugrger joints were generic American. I may be a Texan :o but I am not sure we have a special style of beef. Roast beef is different than ground (minced, for you Brits). Arby's was thinly sliced, heaped on almost an inch high. They had a delicious barbecue sauce for it, served in a big bun. Delicious. Mike could figure it out, and call it Bubba's. Or Willie's.

I can remember the first Arbys restaurant anywhere, was in a place called Youngstonw, Ohio, in the USA. A couple guys called the Raffel Brothers hence R B's.

this was in the mid 60's.

In those days when you went in you saw a real hunk of Roast beef suspended and dripping from Stainless Steel Chains.

It was deeelicious.

then in a few years the group modernized and went to the squash pressed beef hunk.... to me it was downhill from there

totally right. it's not really roast beef but rather processed sandwich meat passed off as roast beef. also has one of the highest sodium contents of any fast food.

but i like it. add some curly fries and a side salad (for roughage) and you've got a lunch to (literally) die for.

roast beef sandwiches in thailand would be better off to be highly processed, though. otherwise you'd lose a tooth chewing at the normal gristly local stuff commonly available.

Mike knows his beef. His Miguel's was California style, his hambugrger joints were generic American. I may be a Texan :o but I am not sure we have a special style of beef. Roast beef is different than ground (minced, for you Brits). Arby's was thinly sliced, heaped on almost an inch high. They had a delicious barbecue sauce for it, served in a big bun. Delicious. Mike could figure it out, and call it Bubba's. Or Willie's.

Love ARBYS.

First found one on a trip to Hawai'i, it was in Waikiki.

8 y/o grandson, was addicted to all the dressings..........LOL

I enjoyed Arbys too.

Horrified to think what a THAI version would be like...... yuuuuurrrrrrrrk

• 2 weeks later...

I was invited to a food tasting party today at Arby's - I mean Texas Roast Beef - and boy was it good.

No jive, it reminded me of Arby's many years ago before they started using processed meat and it was even better with horseradish sauce. You can also get roastbeef sandwichs with Canadian bacon and cheese and they have BBQ sauce if you go for that.

Also, great meatball and Philly steak subs and fantastic hot apple cobbler and a bunch of other stuff.

It should be open by the end of the week.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I can remember the first Arbys restaurant anywhere, was in a place called Youngstonw, Ohio, in the USA. A couple guys called the Raffel Brothers hence R B's.

this was in the mid 60's.

In those days when you went in you saw a real hunk of Roast beef suspended and dripping from Stainless Steel Chains.

It was deeelicious.

then in a few years the group modernized and went to the squash pressed beef hunk.... to me it was downhill from there

I really think it progressed to 'shoe leather'........

Ohio is famous for many fast food restaurants...... Wendy's and back in the 60s & 70s there was a franchise known as BBF. Then of course there was Frisch's the home of the 'Big Boy'...

As I kid and going to the BBF I still have the jingle in my small brain:

'Go go go to the BBF at the whirling satellite......'

post-46350-1223819612_thumb.jpg

Edited by dingdongrb

...in the mid 60's. ... in those days when you went in you saw a real hunk of Roast beef suspended and dripping from Stainless Steel Chains. It was deeelicious. then in a few years the group modernized and went to the squash pressed beef hunk.... to me it was downhill from there

Exactly!

I, too, remember the first Arby's restaurants.

Superb roast beef.

Ate there often.

To a young man, on a small salary, it was a luxurious meal.

it's not really roast beef but rather processed sandwich meat passed off as roast beef. also has one of the highest sodium contents of any fast food.

Yes, suddenly one day, in 1968, "squash pressed sandwich meat passed off".

I still remember the shock of my last supper.

I went back a few years later to see if I'd been imagining the horror.

But it was bad, real bad.

We shall see what how well this Thailand imitation turns out.

Some Thai imitations turn out really well -- difficult to tell from the original.

Let's hope for that.

A real, fake, Arby's Roast Beef sandwich would be great.

Those who pass the location, when it opens, please post here.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

Very near the Mike's Burgers, next to the moat. (forgive me, I still don't know road names).

Thanks for the photo, Mestizo, that is very helpful.

Mike's is at the Southeast corner of Changmoi Road and Chaiyapoom Road.

That Gecko Books is on Changmoi Road, North side.

I haven't seen it yet, but that puts the Arby's across the street from Mike's (across Changmoi Road), and a few shop houses East (heading away from the moat).

A helpful map is here: http://shrinkify.com/ele

-- Oneman

• 2 weeks later...
Very near the Mike's Burgers, next to the moat. (forgive me, I still don't know road names).

I haven't seen it yet, but that puts the Arby's across the street from Mike's (across Changmoi Road), and a few shop houses East (heading away from the moat).

-- Oneman

Hey Mighty Munchers ,, how about an update.

I got a brain whiff of Roast Beef and right away thought of this thread.

Give me the good news

gonzo

Had one yesterday - straight beef for 99B and went back today for the larger version at 139B. Bloody gorgeous! My only complaint would be that for take out at least, the juice from the meat soaks into the bun base making it soggy pretty quickly, but I can live with that. :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

Ate there last night.

Had the Candian bacon burger and it was very nice - excellent beef burger and bacon on a delicious bun. Very juicy and well cooked. I'd rate in a 8.5/10.

The fries were more USA style and thin, which I dont really like. They were prepared way before the burger, so were luke warm, soggy and not good. I much prefer Mikes burger fries as they time them perfectly.

Coleslaw was free on request and it was very good.

They also had A&W Root Beer. :o

Overall, I'd have to say it was slightly better than Mikes, and although the restaurant is small, I prefer to sit down at a real table and chairs.

If they can just sort out the french fries, it will be pretty close to ideal for me.

But I will definately be back. The Philly Cheese Steak beckons....

-- Oneman

Hey Mighty Munchers ,, how about an update.

I got a brain whiff of Roast Beef and right away thought of this thread.

Give me the good news

gonzo

Took home a roast beef sandwitch two days ago and was very happy with it, much better than what Arby's has become these days. I need to go back to try the Philly cheesesteak, the coleslaw and the fries.

Paul

I . also, was one of the taste testers.....the roast beef melts in your mouth...very tender......best in Thailand. Hamburger was great also....

The hot apple-cobbler with the icecream on top is a must try....

The other sandwiches look great and will try something new each time i go...

Chorizo