Scb Refuses To Open Regular Acct W/o Work Permit

Hello,

I was just at Siam Commercial Bank's Sino-Thai Tower branch. They said it's policy I have to have Work Permit to open regular ATM savings type account. I am in Thailand for six months on non-imm O-A long stay visa. But it didn't even get that far. Two clerks agreed that: No work permit, no account. :o I did ask them to check with headquarters, but refrain was no WP, no acct.

Is this standard? If so then I was under the mistaken belief even a tourist could open an account here. They suggested Bangkok Bank. How about another SCB branch? Anyone?

Many thanks . . .

I did ask them to check with headquarters, but refrain was no WP, no acct.
They lied to you. Admitting they were wrong would mean loss of "face".

Bloody typical. :D

Thank you PB. And you're probably right GD.

I chose SCB because of recommendations of posters here and a couple of Thai people in business. SCB has many branches, which appealed, and its website is very professional and helpful in English. It does astound SCB could pass up a long-term customer relationship, but, yeah I know, TIT. :o

Best thing to do is go on a holiday to hua hin or somewhere like this and open an account there. which will be no problem. take ya passport and 1000 baht and they open account, costs 200 baht for atm card i think.

then if ya want a bangkok account go into a bank and say you opened this in hua hin but would like bangkok account.. no problems they can't say no cos you got one already.

and you have a nice few days at the beach :o

i've got a scb account and bank ayyuttha. also post pay phone with dtac (not supposed to have that without wp either)

still got wp now so happy as a pig in s**t

Edited by thaicbr

Okay, so I got my first account in a province that never heard of work permits, and my high-ranking boss told them to give me an account for direct deposit of my ajarn salary. After that, I opened other accounts. But later I switched from B. Ayuddyha to Kasinkorn, using only my passport and O visa.

Every clerk and every branch has a different policy it seems. I went to 3 branches before (on the same day nonetheless) and one said I need a letter from my embassy while another said work permit while the last branch just opened the account.

Every clerk and every branch has a different policy it seems. I went to 3 branches before (on the same day nonetheless) and one said I need a letter from my embassy while another said work permit while the last branch just opened the account.

Yea, it does not seem as though there is any consistency or even concrete

rules governing this. I think many people have gotten an account through this method.

I had the same reaction in Kasikorn Branch in Paragon, I have a Non Imm 1 year Visa. They would not even open an account unless I had a WP. I pointed out that the Thai government require I transfer to a Thai Bank 800K every year to support my visa application and that I needed to show this bank book to the immigration authorities with evidence that the money had come from outside Thailand and that it had been in my Thai bank 3 months prior to my application. After several to and fro consultations with his manager I was offered a bank account and internet access if I needed it. I think you should point out the requirements to support your visa application.

Thanks everyone. Hats off to K-bank. I walked into Kasikorn at soi 33 Suk and had account, using passport with Thai non-imm O-A visa, within oh, 20 mins, including waiting time. I don't think the visa meant much, or at least I never got questioned about it. The rep behind the desk processed me and was always very polite and smiling. The branch has well run customer ticket service system there. Most impressed.

I had the same reaction in Kasikorn Branch in Paragon, I have a Non Imm 1 year Visa. They would not even open an account unless I had a WP. I pointed out that the Thai government require I transfer to a Thai Bank 800K every year to support my visa application and that I needed to show this bank book to the immigration authorities with evidence that the money had come from outside Thailand and that it had been in my Thai bank 3 months prior to my application. After several to and fro consultations with his manager I was offered a bank account and internet access if I needed it. I think you should point out the requirements to support your visa application.

It is just plain logic. :o

SCB branches are reticent to do this, yes. They always give that excuse. The lower levels are told to say that. So no, they didn't lie. That's what the clerks are told and they don't know any better. I assume it's the bank's policy for some reason. I don't believe it's against the law. I would suggest going to the head branch at 9 Ratchadapisek Rd., ask to see the manager there, and explain the situation. You should be able to do it, although you may need to have a conversation about it. Just be polite and don't take no for an answer. If at any other branch, the only way will surely be to get a manager to give a go ahead, because at SCB all clerks are told it cannot be done and tell me to go the head branch only.

I have an account with them, but only could get one at the head branch without a work permit. However, I did end up getting a work permit and just bringing in photocopies of it, and they accepted that. In your situation, I was told it could be done only at the head branch by every branch where I tried to open an account.

what reputable bank (all banks in Thailand are reputable) would be willing to open an account for an alien who claims his name is "Kaoboi Bebobp"? ...which is faker than a 7½ dollar note! :o

Edited by Naam