My Weird Cold Plate

corkscrew

It may not look great but it was tasty. Yes, from Next2 at the Shangri-La hotel.

Looks like a compilation of leftovers from the buffet :o - did you get it from the buffet yourself ? if not, whoever put this plate together probably had a bad hangover :D

It may not look great but it was tasty. Yes, from Next2 at the Shangri-La hotel.

Looks like a compilation of leftovers from the buffet :o - did you get it from the buffet yourself ? if not, whoever put this plate together probably had a bad hangover :D

When I got it to the table I was amazed at how strange it looked. Like, "Did I really choose this stuff"? FULL disclosure: I was in the lobby bar for a bit before I hit Next2.

Yes....that was classic: chewing them both simultaneously and washing them down with some sweet port....followed by a radish.

:D:o:D fresh (hopefully) oysters and pasta ?????????????? texture wise a nightmare - a surprising statement for someone who seems to be floating around the upmarket eateries -

I love both ( not the locel warm water variaty though) but each by themselves used to be a regular at wheelers St James's a long time ago ... also at the grand central oyster bar (wheelers was better thoughwith imported brittany oysters) but combining oysters with pasta would not get passed my lipps and instead of sweet port a bottle of a crisp chabli anytime

Edited by JohnBKKK

When I got it to the table I was amazed at how strange it looked. Like, "Did I really choose this stuff"? FULL disclosure: I was in the lobby bar for a bit before I hit Next2.

Corkscrew, I will let you off due to the fact that you had a few drinks before you got to the buffet :D you usually put some great photo's on TV, but not this time :D hope you enjoyed it.

And oysters come in twelves, not twos.

Have to dissagree .... 6 for the starter ... a dozen as main course .... 6 as desert ..... and than off to the mia noi for cake :o

I believe, though open to correction, that the correct etiquette is to order 13. This comes from the days where, particularly at non coastal locations, you ordered 13 in the hope that not more than one was bad/dead and you got your 12. Quite what anyone would be doing eating in an establishment where the quality of the oysters is doubtful is beyond me but there you are.

Urban myth?

Perhaps but may have come from a time before restaurants were held to such things as standards.

And oysters come in twelves, not twos.

Have to dissagree .... 6 for the starter ... a dozen as main course .... 6 as desert ..... and than off to the mia noi for cake :D

I believe, though open to correction, that the correct etiquette is to order 13. This comes from the days where, particularly at non coastal locations, you ordered 13 in the hope that not more than one was bad/dead and you got your 12. Quite what anyone would be doing eating in an establishment where the quality of the oysters is doubtful is beyond me but there you are.

Urban myth?

Perhaps but may have come from a time before restaurants were held to such things as standards.

I stay home on Friday the 13th ... I would certainly not order 13 of anything, definately not oysters :o if there is a bad one in the lot I will almost certainly be the one to get it ... once at a seafood market here, many many years ago I tried for the first time the local oysters raw - and besides that they were terrible to be eaten raw, the first one I tried was bad ... having guests and not wanting to spoil their dinner (they had already eaten most since I got their late) I swallowed the dam_n thing and excused myself .. went to the john and as I opened the door I had my first experience in "projectile vomiting" ...

Local oysters, if they are not off make great Oysters Rockefeller or Sautéed Oysters - they are just no good raw

That's exactly how my plate might look at a buffet. I take tiny amounts of everything and enjoy the cornicopia of flavours. By the way, this is post number 69 :D

Rather auspicious, wouldn't you say? :o

Wait till you hit #77, as 77 is better than 69 because you get ate (eight) more :D

That's exactly how my plate might look at a buffet. I take tiny amounts of everything and enjoy the cornicopia of flavours. By the way, this is post number 69 :D

Wait till you hit #77, as 77 is better than 69 because you get ate (eight) more :D

This was my second dish....well, OK, there was some major wine in between....

post-9122-1222952660_thumb.jpg

This was my second dish....well, OK, there was some major wine in between....

hmmmmm ... ok the endives / chicory look like they have been prepared correctly and been blanched briefly in boiling water to take away the bitternes .. however I can't make much sense of the filling .. I can see capers which is ok croutons which is kind of unusual .. I would expect the endives to have an egg salad stuffing or even better a smoked salmon salad with .. there are many possibillities but those do not have any .. are you on a health trip? .. plenty of Vitamin A in endives :(

The thing in the back is difficult to identify .. probably due to increase intoxication of the photographer :D - looks like Mozarella with tomato which is kinda booring ......

it is sure to say that you did not make the best of the buffet which probably wasn't cheap concidering the location and surely had smoked salmon and lots of other delights at your disposal .. lesson for next time .. eat first with some wine before hitting the bar ......

My Buffet rule 1 - I never make it past the cold starter section of any good Buffet since this is the food that does not suffer from being kept warm over hours and when it comes to the hopefully scotish smoked salmon which often is carved by a member of staff my usual comment is "don't be shy :D we will get to know each other today"

Edited by JohnBKKK

does ny body went toeat at jerousalem falafel in chiang mai? she said that she make greek food you think is good?

Corkscrew, that 1st meal looks like a rich thai ploughmans lunch, would love something like that up here in N.Issan, is that a slice of Camabert too?

Its a dream to have and taste all those different flavours, even raw or cooked oysters,and a glass or 3 of wine, Lucky You!!

Cheers, Lickey..

• 3 weeks later...