Non O And Work Permit

You can get a workpermit on a non-O, if you don't qualify for a non-O extension you can still ask for an extesion of stay to one year based on your employment.

As ubonjoe said, if you are on a non-O based on retirement it is not possible to give a definite answer. It is allowed, but in practise not all labour offices will alow it.

I've experienced some schools wanting you to change to the B visa. They think it's easier for them.

Once extended, the school can cancel your visa when you leave.

Unless you have some really good reason to switch from an O to a B, my advice would be to just say NO.

The only part that looks to be easier is getting the WP and TL paperwork lined up date wise. I understand that that may not longer be an issue with WP's because of a change, but I haven't experienced that first hand yet.

You don't switch from a non-immigrant O to a non-immigrant B. It is just the ground on which you were allowed to enter Thailand originaly.

What you do is ask for an extension of stay, either on the grounds of being married to a Thai or employment. This you can always change. If you go for an extension based on employment you can always apply for an extension of stay beased on marriage when you lose your job.