Thai Visa Website Frustratingly Slow, Anyone Else Experience This ?

paul1970

Using TV has become increasingly frustrating with slow page downloads and very often pages just not opening at all.

I have a reliable internet connection of 800Kb/s and I never have any issues downloading other sites internationally and in Thailand, TV is always unbearably slow, does anyone else notice that TV is slower than other sites ?

I've noticed it is sometimes slow to load and sometimes even times out, despite getting good ping times and DL speeds from Singapore on the TV Broadband speed tester. Other times it's really fast. One of life's mysteries maybe.

There were some major problems yesterday daytime. Something to do with a software patch apparently. It's been back to normal since yesterday evening for me, which is lightning fast. Very rarely have any speed problems with TV... Oh and apparently they're working on the external links problem...

For me this has been going on for months, seems especially worse at times, perhaps the server is struggling to cope with the traffic ? There is certainly something sowing this site down compared to others, a lot of the times I to just get the page header relatively quickly but then either wait an age for the rest of the page or it will just hang with just the header.

Certainly think it's a server problem.

I don't have any issues with Thai Visa loading at all on Maxnet.

Since it doesn't seem to be an across the board issue, may I ask what ISP you use?

TOT, today just the same many international sites, eg BBC, CNN, Yahoo, Google and lesser well known sites load in between 5 - 10 seconds.

this page replying to your post took 47 seconds to load, which when your sat staring at a monitor seems an age.

I am living in New Zealand at the moment and I am using Firefox 3.03 and tonight if I am lucky I can read 2 or 3 pages before TV hangs. I have been reading a thread and sometimes it will hang going into the next page on the thread and the only way I can read anything is by resetting the wireless link.

This has been going on for 2 or 3 days now and I am starting to get p122ed about it.

It only happens on TV.

My mate here uses the latest IE version and has exactly the same problem.

10 am in thailand this morning and as usual TV is terribly slow with many pages not loading, as you it does pizz you off after a while. No problems whatsoever with other thai sites and international sites.

I think they must be using a crap server or there is a problem somwhere, very annoying. Glad to hear it's just not me.

<br />10 am in thailand this morning and as usual TV is terribly slow with many pages not loading, as you it does pizz you off after a while. No problems whatsoever with other thai sites and international sites.<br /><br />I think they must be using a crap server or there is a problem somwhere, very annoying. Glad to hear it's just not me.<br />

I'm with you paul1970, in the last couple weeks the site has not only gotten tremendously slow, but hangs on the reply submitted.

It then shows a page cannot be displayed, then if I resubmit reply sometimes I end up with a double sometimes not.....

For instance with this reply I will copy before submitting, if it hangs and gives me the "page cannot be displayed, I will have to go back to the thread to look, before resubmitting, in case the reply is there.

TV, what have you changed?

<br />10 am in thailand this morning and as usual TV is terribly slow with many pages not loading, as you it does pizz you off after a while. No problems whatsoever with other thai sites and international sites.<br /><br />I think they must be using a crap server or there is a problem somwhere, very annoying. Glad to hear it's just not me.<br />

I'm with you paul1970, in the last couple weeks the site has not only gotten tremendously slow, but hangs on the reply submitted.

It then shows a page cannot be displayed, then if I resubmit reply sometimes I end up with a double sometimes not.....

For instance with this reply I will copy before submitting, if it hangs and gives me the "page cannot be displayed, I will have to go back to the thread to look, before resubmitting, in case the reply is there.

TV, what have you changed?

P.S. TV,

why is the HTML code now being shown in the responses? See above <br /><br />

I think they must be using a crap server or there is a problem somwhere, very annoying. Glad to hear it's just not me.

As George has pointed out in his link showing the hardware systems, the servers are not the issue but local ISPs. I am going to post a benchmark from Chiangmai University to give an idea what is possible and shows neither servers or International traffic is an issue (via our university routes, other ISPs will have different routing and is most likely the cause plus crappy DNS servers from the ISPs).

post-566-1223443042_thumb.jpg

My page loads normally are no more then 1 second. This is testing at various times of day/week and it is consistent.

You mention crappy DNS servers, I have seen opendns mentioned before, would this be a way of avoiding the crappy DNS servers and speed things up, sorry I'm no expert on these things.

Some members have reported it improving things. Easiest way is to try it and see if it makes a different, it's free and straightforward to setup.

OpenDNS

An article on it at news.cnet