Hatyai-suratthani

joinme2leave

any recommendations welcome.

will be HDY dec 12 (never been there b4) but need to go Surat Thani (Samui) some days after ... pls forward info rgd. bus or train possibilities (including time of travel and price, if possible).

THANX

PS: recommendations rgd. BEACH resorts in HDY (Hatyai) are welcome too :o

Take the minivan from the Cathay GH. Not the nicest way to go as it tends to be full of smelly backpackers en route for SAmui and KPG, but it is the fastest.

A share taxi is almost always faster than a van and less chance of backpackers (mostly Thai use them). But this poster has a serious geography problem if he expects a beach resort in Hat Yai. :o

Share taxis from Hat Yai can be a pain in the arse if they're not full. I once spent 45 mins cruising around HY while the driver found a final passenger to fill the car and similar tales are rife.

At least the Cathay service leaves ontime as they tend to be full.

As for beaches in Hat Yai, Songkhla is your closest choice is not bad at all there.

Cathay Guesthouse. Its not a bad place to stay these days and they have cheap ale and football as well as being close to some of Hat Yai's better Nightspots!

Its on Thanon Niphat Uthit 2 road off Thanon Thamnoonwhiti. The travel agency is downstairs at the entrance.

The trip should take 3 hours tops to Surat Thani. If memory serves me right its about 150B. Best book in advance as well as this is the most popular service between the two.

thx prof.

Songkhla is where i shall reside for some days (wink@lopburi).

prof: could you pls specify "Cathay GH" ? "GH" means what? Where to find? And how long - backpackers or not - frm HY to Surat? Any approx price info as well?

You should find more sea water there than Hat Yai. There are only two hotels that I recall on the beachfront - one is across the lake north of Songkhla.

Share taxi normally sit at designated location and if you do not want to wait for full car you pay for extra person(s). They are always willing to run with you alone if you pay.

I would not recommend Cathay in Hat Yai but admit I never entered it. Looks very down and out to me but that was a few years ago - perhaps it has changed?

• 2 years later...

Ok so I know this thread started over 2 years ago but I tend not to make a new thread when there already is one.

Has anyone made a trip from Hatyai to - surathani lately?

Where did you get the bus, van, etc?

Do you know what times it leaves? are there evening buses? Say around 7 or 8 pm?

any other comments or thoughts I am open to hear them

thanks!