What Is My Best Strategy Here?

I arrived in Thailand August 25th on a 30 day stamp, spent a week in Bangkok, and then went to Laos for 2 weeks...while in Laos, I obtained a tourist visa from the Vientine embassy back to Thailand that began on September 18th

This will set to expire November 18th, or December 18th if I get the 2nd 30 day stamp

At this point, I will have already used up two of my 3 stamps allowed within a 6 month period.

I plan to go back to the USA for Christmas, and return to Thailand January 7th

The problem is, if I try to get a visa in the USA to return to Thailand, I may be denied based on too many stamps (and even so, I will likely have to pay high fees to use an agent to get the visa processed in San Francisco since I dont live there)... but if I try to get a visa to a neighboring country instead, then I have to fly in and out of there, or use a 1 way ticket, both options which are quite a bit more expensive

What do you think is my best strategy, and why?

I was in a similar position to you. I had a 3 month visit visa with two entries allowed but wanted to leave Thailand and return for a third time. I applied for this extra entry at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok and it was granted.

However, this was 8 years ago, I'm not sure if rule changes since then mean this is still possible.

BTW, you would probably get more helpful replies if you posted this in the Thai visas, residency and work permits forum.

You will have no problem. The rule is that you are not allowed to more than 90 days in a 6 month period on visa exempt entries. That are the 30 days stamps you get when you enter Thailand without a visa. The 90 days do not count towards visa's. With a visa you will not ahve a problem and there is no limit at how much of these you can get. (Although some embassies/consulates in neigbouring countries refuse to issue more than 1).

Check the consulate in the US you wil use. Most will allow you to apply by mail with no problem. Note that with a visa you can return to Thailand on a one way ticket.