Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

Another big jump in the number of injured...

Injury toll rises to 437: Public Health Ministry

The Narenthorn Emergency Centre of the Public Health Ministry reported that 437 people were injured in political violent incidents throughout Tuesday.

The centre reported Wednesday 73 of them remain in hospitals and the rest were discharged after receiving treatments.

- The Nation / 2008-10-08

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PM : No emergency decree

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat insisted he would not impose emergency decree in Bangkok following an almost chaotic situation in the city yesterday following People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) being dispersed from besieging Parliament’s compound to clear the path for Government’s declaration of policy statement yesterday morning.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat said after meeting with armed forces’ leaders yesterday evening (October 7) at the Royal Thai Armed Forces’ headquarters that he was worried about dispersal of People Alliance’s for Democracy (PAD)’s protesters at the Parliament’s compound to clear the path for Parliament’s meeting for Government’s policy declaration yesterday morning.

He added that he learned that a group of people would enter into the Parliament for one particular purpose of obstructing Parliament’s meeting. So, police had to take care of the situation to prevent potential damages from occurring.

Asked by reporters how the prime minister would solve chaotic incidents in the city throughout yesterday, Somchai said that he and related officials had to tackle the unrest situation yesterday. He also urged all parties in the society to jointly help solving the situation, adding the government could not do it alone.

Asked whether he would impose emergency decree, Somchai said, “I do not think (about it).”

Asked whether he would resign or dissolve lower House of Representatives, Somchai said that, “As far as I am taking this post, I will never slow down my work. Any decisions would be made at the appropriate times."

- ThaiNews / 2008-10-08

Edited by sriracha john

PAD does not recognise this government. It's a people's revolution.

Blockades show that the government is not in control and people have taken over large parts of the country.

Large parts of the country or a small portion of Bangkok?

Imagine PAD gets their wishes, then you will see a people's revolution.

Government ministers dare not to step foot in the South as well.

If PAD gets their wishes, people will be represented in parliament for the first time in Thai history. That would be a revolution alright.

Nevermind the imbeciles who convinced themselves that poor would lose a right to vote. That's an internet myth, sort of like a virus picked up by ignorant users, it spreads only among brain dead who reply to penis enlargement e-mails and send their passwords to the banks for confirmation.

I know it might come out as shocking to some, but the only evidence of losing the right to vote can be found in posts by someone like permanent_disorder or sunrise07. It doesn't exist in the real world.

What I find amazing is the restraint shown at times. Yesterday the PM had to scale a fence to get away. Now whether you like him or not, he is still the PM. If the leader of the UK, USA, Australia were under such a threat you can be sure the security details would be opening fire on anyone near their boss.

Political leanings aside, one group are trying to cripple the ruling of this country. That needs to be stopped. Protesting is fine, but when it turns into mobs blockading parliament, forcing the government to move elsewhere, well that is perhaps going a little too far.

These actions are damaging the country's economy at a time when it needs to be focussed. Instead it is like a Jack Russell in a squeaky ball factory. The sad thing is, the little people will hurt the most by the slide, the rich muppets orchestrating this debacle might have to empty the ashtray in their Benz when it is full instead of buying a new one.

As well Chart Thai and some other told before the election that they would NEVER support Thaksin and PPP, so their voters got something very different than what the voted for.

In my country, a few years ago, the people voted massively for "Vlaams Blok (something like Thai Rak Thai)" to show their disproval to the ongoing political "show".

Yet, the other small parties formed a coalition and were able to vote out any proposition of the "Vlaams Blok" which led to new voting.

So, the people didn't get what the they voted for.

In the USA, Bush came to power after falsifying the Ballot counts.

So what's your proposition?

Shall every country do as Thailand is doing and chose the ILLEGAL approach to overthrow their goverments?

Look,

How many of you on this forum have a say on what happens in this country then?

I say about 5% or less.

Alot of the rest is just nonsense.

If you can vote then vote and speak.

If you can't vote then shut up and dont say what you can not do or help.

Who are you to decide those that can or cannot pass comment on a reasonably open forum?

There are many foreigners that live in thailand and are very concerned about what happens in the country , none of them can vote , but i am sure many have wives and family that can vote . What happens here has a great deal to do with their lives and future here ,so i feel sure they are as equally concerned as a 'PURE'(?) Thai that can vote , perhaps if you paid attention to some of the comments , you may learn something of value instead of being critical in a place your nose may well be out of place .

'PURE'

So all the people on here who are foreigners to my country,also WHERE MY WIFE AND CHILD LIVE.

Think they have the right to say this and that about the country. If its so bad why not go back to there own country and look at there own government.

Maybe you should stop sticking your nose into places it should not be.

Your country? What about these topics of yours then? They would suggest it isn't your country - let's not forget you also previously overstayed for two & half years in your country!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Qualificatio...ed-t210653.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Live-t214757.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Advice-Pig-F...ng-t216352.html

Ditto.

I live here, have a family, own property, I see no reason I must then be totally silent.

I can find something incongruous or illogical in ANY country, and see no reason not to

make an effort to see things change for the better. I may not have all the answers,

but at least I am participating in the ongoing dialog.

I don't buy this be ONLY an utterly silent / stupid guest BS.

It's simple really: If you live in a country and consider it home, you pay taxes - directly or indirectly - and participate in it in any way, then you have the right to an opinion.

Which when you look at it closely is the reverse of the PAD position - PAD wants to have MPs appointed, not democratically elected, hence the misnomer of its name, but I digress...

I am a New Zealander and live in Australia. I have lived here six years (and am married to a Thai) but I do not have the right to vote in Australia. Fortunately, people with the views of one or two of the contributors quoted above are few and far between here and I am entitled to comment on political or any other event, as one would expect in an open democracy. In time I will gain citizenship and vote as well.

I'm frankly astonished that anyone should suggest if you don't have a vote you're not entitled to an opinion! (However I have been heard to say here 'If you have the right to vote and you don't you're not exactly qualified to criticise the collective decision of those who did - I trust that doesn't sound too contradictory!).

Hi.

I, for one, am a foreigner and PRO PAD. Because i am one of few (if any other??) foreigners who had the pleasure observing first-hand HOW the current government came to power, i.e. i saw with my own two eyes the 100-Baht notes being handed over to people promising to vote for PPP. Yes, i was right there, didn't hear it "from a friend of a friend".

Also i DO have close friends that joined the PAD's rally and none of them (8 people of which some work at my boyfriend's office, so there's another witness) received a single SATANG for joining the protest. I do not rule out that some people may have gotten paid to join (up country??) but it certainly isn't a "rent-a-mob" as some of you keep saying.

Occupying/blocking the government buildings in order to prevent the ILLEGITIMATE government from doing it's ILLEGITIMATE work (changing laws to protect themselves!) is a perfectly legitimate thing to do - in fact, it's the ONLY thing that can be done, as this government has shown multiple times that it won't listen to anyone.

As for the "Chinese elitists in the PAD", please, what exactly is "Dr. T" and his cronies then? Are they by any chance Isan farmers? Me don't think so. Fighting fire with fire has proven effective.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Blockades show that the government is not in control and people have taken over large parts of the country.

If PAD gets their wishes, people will be represented in parliament for the first time in Thai history. That would be a revolution alright.

Nevermind the imbeciles who convinced themselves that poor would lose a right to vote. That's an internet myth, sort of like a virus picked up by ignorant users, it spreads only among brain dead who reply to penis enlargement e-mails and send their passwords to the banks for confirmation.

I know it might come out as shocking to some, but the only evidence of losing the right to vote can be found in posts by someone like permanent_disorder or sunrise07. It doesn't exist in the real world.

If I am a PAD leader (fortunately I am not), I would seize all airport, starting from Swampy. Refuse to leave the runway until all the PPP MP resiged. Is this a good idea?

Reason for doing that? So that I have excuses to over stay in the "Land of Smile" without the frequent visa run which is getting more and more expensive these day. :o:D:D

Oh, one more point - if PPP and its coalition partners are so sure about winning the elections, why are they the only ones refusing to dissolve the parliament? Democrats have asked them to do it numerous times, senators, academics - they all have been asking to consider that option ever since PAD tool the government house.

Yesterday Banharn, hiding in his air condiditoned van for most of the day, resolutely replied "no way".

Sure, after turning around and joining PPP led government, the last thing he'd agree to do is to ask voters for a fresh mandate.

This is a revolution, people are rising against the government.

When that happens, it's the government's fault, not people's.

It would be true if people was indeed rising against the gvt.

This is not the case today.

Only, a few thousand rich Bangkokians fight for... oups for what? Nobody knows and nobody cares. Anyway there are not the people, they are a small part of the Thai population.

Oh really! Here's a couple of pics from yesterday. First is a cop with a flamethrower and the second with a hand grenade.

:o If that's a flamethrower, then you must think a firecracker is an ICBM. It was a riot gun that can be used to launch CS gas or stun ordinance. looks to me like a really old sino defence industries riot gun. The little flames you see are caused by the compressed gases propeling the cannister towards the target.

Hand grenade, as in lethal fragmentation object?. well, if it the police office in uniform was shown, I'd share some shock. The police were using sino defence ordinance. They come in varied form but consist of either CS delivery or disorientation devices. They cause disorientation because they can go boom loudly, release smoke or a bright light. These are standard issue devices found in most western police tactical inventories. They are non lethal devices.

I just saw pictures of the victims. I almost vomit.

Best thing is not to look at such pictures if you know your reactions.

My highest/best regards to these people who know what can happen but continue to fight for their country without being afraid of being beat to a cripple by the corrupt police

Corrupt police or not, they are doing their job like they would have to do in any other country.

I don't think police in my country would use home made grenades, destroying legs. If two people had a broken finger we would discuss the actions of the police

No respect for a mob who have been responsable for the killing of many citizens now.

The people who were killed yesterday would still be alive if they would'nt have been paid to do something ILLEGAL such as occupying the parliament and keep hostage the elected government.

Most farangs would not have the balls for that in their home country.

Most farangs KNOW that occupying a Government house and keeping the government hostage is ILLEGAL and wouldn't do such an illegal thing.

I don't understand how the police can lower themself that way! Killing peaceful people to serve a corrupt illegal premier.

A policeman is bound to do HIS JOB, without questioning if the PM is corrupt or not.

If for every riot or for everything were police are needed, the police would held first a meeting to decide if the caller if corrupt or not, the task of the police would be very questionable.

Stop acting as the PAD would be bunch of boy-scouts. They are NOT.

Actually, If you just turn on the Telly, you will hear and see those blasts you so diligently post on this thread. Your move - whether to continue or stop. My personal feeling is that its a waste of time and space.

Hey Sunderland, I just want to inform people what is going on and I think it's not funny, people are getting hurt by each blast, and from 16:00 to 17:29 the fighting hasn't stopped. And thinking that in the morning the shootings lasted only 5 minutes resulting in 80 injured people. Have a guess what are the consequences right now?

That's because PAD is predominantly being supported by pro DEMOCRAT people. Are we talking about sore losers from how many elections now. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! leaves the mind spinning as to democracy and your option of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

<br />Oh, one more point - if PPP and its coalition partners are so sure about winning the elections, why are they the only ones refusing to dissolve the parliament? Democrats have asked them to do it numerous times, senators, academics - they all have been asking to consider that option ever since PAD tool the government house. <br /><br />Yesterday Banharn, hiding in his air condiditoned van for most of the day, resolutely replied "no way". <br /><br />Sure, after turning around and joining PPP led government, the last thing he'd agree to do is to ask voters for a fresh mandate.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Each time PPP wins, PAD would suggest that "if PPP and its coalition partners are so sure about winning the elections, why are they the only ones refusing to dissolve the parliament?".

OK, parliament dissolve, re-elect, PPP wins. Then PAD would suggest that "if PPP and its coalition partners are so sure about winning the elections, why are they the only ones refusing to dissolve the parliament?".

OK, parliament dissolve, re-elect, PPP wins. Then PAD would suggest that "if PPP and its coalition partners are so sure about winning the elections, why are they the only ones refusing to dissolve the parliament?".

I thing it is going to be endless.

So all the people on here who are foreigners to my country,also WHERE MY WIFE AND CHILD LIVE.

Think they have the right to say this and that about the country. If its so bad why not go back to there own country and look at there own government.

And maybe we ought to take our money with us. If that was the case, then you would be broke like everybody in Burma and Cambodia in which case you would be one of the "DUMB UNEDUCATED PEOPLE" that should not be allowed to VOTE and should be ruled by a dictatorship named the PAD. Is that OK with you.

Hang on, Thailand discovered........ the aeroplane, clocks, wrist watch, even the digital watch, navigation, classic mechanics, quantum physics, Aristotelian theory, concepts of inertia, momentum and acceleration, helicocentric model, ahhhhhhhhhhhh what the hel_l, Jasmine Rice makes up for all those discoveries. dont be so hard Thai's

But, Thailand has astonishingly discovered that universally popular concept of "New Politics". Maybe that can be patented just like the "Full Moon" Party. Don't think they can sell this new form of politics to the world though. A lot of countries have tried something similar over the last couple of thousand years and didn't like it much.

But then again, Thailand is sooo different to the rest of the world as we keep being reminded over and over again.

Look,

How many of you on this forum have a say on what happens in this country then?

I say about 5% or less.

Alot of the rest is just nonsense.

If you can vote then vote and speak.

If you can't vote then shut up and dont say what you can not do or help.

Who are you to decide those that can or cannot pass comment on a reasonably open forum?

There are many foreigners that live in thailand and are very concerned about what happens in the country , none of them can vote , but i am sure many have wives and family that can vote . What happens here has a great deal to do with their lives and future here ,so i feel sure they are as equally concerned as a 'PURE'(?) Thai that can vote , perhaps if you paid attention to some of the comments , you may learn something of value instead of being critical in a place your nose may well be out of place .

'PURE'

Your country? What about these topics of yours then? They would suggest it isn't your country - let's not forget you also previously overstayed for two & half years in your country!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Qualificatio...ed-t210653.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Live-t214757.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Advice-Pig-F...ng-t216352.html

Ditto.

I live here, have a family, own property, I see no reason I must then be totally silent.

I can find something incongruous or illogical in ANY country, and see no reason not to

make an effort to see things change for the better. I may not have all the answers,

but at least I am participating in the ongoing dialog.

I don't buy this be ONLY an utterly silent / stupid guest BS.

It's simple really: If you live in a country and consider it home, you pay taxes - directly or indirectly - and participate in it in any way, then you have the right to an opinion.

Which when you look at it closely is the reverse of the PAD position - PAD wants to have MPs appointed, not democratically elected, hence the misnomer of its name, but I digress...

I am a New Zealander and live in Australia. I have lived here six years (and am married to a Thai) but I do not have the right to vote in Australia. Fortunately, people with the views of one or two of the contributors quoted above are few and far between here and I am entitled to comment on political or any other event, as one would expect in an open democracy. In time I will gain citizenship and vote as well.

I'm frankly astonished that anyone should suggest if you don't have a vote you're not entitled to an opinion! (However I have been heard to say here 'If you have the right to vote and you don't you're not exactly qualified to criticise the collective decision of those who did - I trust that doesn't sound too contradictory!).

I don't know how often this lies get posted again and again. PAD told again and again that they don't want any not elected MP. They made twice an official statement which was at the TOC webpage, but now there is no link there. There they told clearly that also these "appointed" MPs are not appointed they are elected within their society. For example the Isaan Rice Farmer elect an MP out of themself who takes care of their interests/needs.

So you have general election and you have election inside specific groups. And that was just an idea to discuss about.

Compassion is in order for all the injured. It is clearly time for the PAD armed seige to end. There is little support in Thailand for the mayhem they are causing. One pities the naive country folk who are waking up to a blaring Sondhi L. frothing at the mouth, calling for more blood.

From this mornings Bangkok Post,

"...Among the wounded police officers, two were stabbed. One, Pol Snr Sgt-Maj Thaweep Klanniam, was struck with the sharpened end of a flag pole in the torso. The pole severed his lung.

Four other police officers were shot by PAD supporters, deputy Metropolitan Police chief Pol Maj-Gen Amnuay Nimmano said. One was shot in his chest, one in the collarbone, one in the neck and the other in his right hand. They were rushed to Vajira and Chulalongkorn hospitals.

Another policeman suffered broken legs after being hit by a car driven by a PAD supporter.

The sixth clash since yesterday morning erupted last night at the Metropolitan Police headquarters.

The confrontation started at 10.20pm when PAD demonstrators threw bottles into the police compound, prompting the police to retaliate by firing tear gas into the crowd..."

Are you assuming that the peaceful and unarmed PAD protesters are doing such things?

Sharpening ploes to punch in the police's back?

Using guns to fire at the police?

You should be banned for having the guts to publish such ANTI PAD propaganda ...........

Yes all of the other elections had nothing to do with people choosing their government. :o And don't give that vote buying crap, most of those people would vote the same today money or not, maybe more after last night.

And PAD has such a pure heart that all will be made well in the bright future ahead. What a fairy tale.

It is no myth that PAD is against the rights of farmers having an equal say. How can you say a PAD installed government will reprsent the people. What they represent is unrestrained disdain for anything but establishment despotism.

PAD is where you land after jumping from the frying pan.

Compassion is in order for all the injured. It is clearly time for the PAD armed seige to end. There is little support in Thailand for the mayhem they are causing. One pities the naive country folk who are waking up to a blaring Sondhi L. frothing at the mouth, calling for more blood.

From this mornings Bangkok Post,

"...Among the wounded police officers, two were stabbed. One, Pol Snr Sgt-Maj Thaweep Klanniam, was struck with the sharpened end of a flag pole in the torso. The pole severed his lung.

Four other police officers were shot by PAD supporters, deputy Metropolitan Police chief Pol Maj-Gen Amnuay Nimmano said. One was shot in his chest, one in the collarbone, one in the neck and the other in his right hand. They were rushed to Vajira and Chulalongkorn hospitals.

Another policeman suffered broken legs after being hit by a car driven by a PAD supporter.

The sixth clash since yesterday morning erupted last night at the Metropolitan Police headquarters.

The confrontation started at 10.20pm when PAD demonstrators threw bottles into the police compound, prompting the police to retaliate by firing tear gas into the crowd..."

Are you assuming that the peaceful and unarmed PAD protesters are doing such things?

Sharpening ploes to punch in the police's back?

Using guns to fire at the police?

You should be banned for having the guts to publish such ANTI PAD propaganda ...........

I assure you that I do not publish the Bangkok Post; I do occasionally read it, but much prefer international news sources.

DAAD will kick the SHlT out of PAD if they dare to invade Sanam Luang. That's for sure.

That sort of open-war, on the streets of Thailand, is what we fear, not welcome. It would not be some reason for triumphalist rhetoric like this.

The new PM decided to send in the police, armed with tear-gas & rubber-bullets or worse, ordinary citizens are now being maimed & killed in Bangkok, while at the same time he claimed to be seeking a negotiated reconciliation, no wonder even Deputy-PM Chavalit quit !

He is truly showing himself to be his brother-in-law's man. :o

If I remember correctly the night before the SoE, DAAD got it's butt kicked badly.

Inspite of having deadlier weapons too.

I don't know how often this lies get posted again and again. PAD told again and again that they don't want any not elected MP. They made twice an official statement which was at the TOC webpage, but now there is no link there. There they told clearly that also these "appointed" MPs are not appointed they are elected within their society. For example the Isaan Rice Farmer elect an MP out of themself who takes care of their interests/needs.

So you have general election and you have election inside specific groups. And that was just an idea to discuss about.

I would be very interested to learn more about that - I am not spreading 'lies' intentionally but there was widespread reporting of that issue at the time. It's curious the information has disappeared from the record - if anyone knows of an English language explanation of PAD's electoral policy I'd be very interested in reading it.

It is my understanding that a large proportion of the populace believes PAD only wants a proportion of politicians elected. I'd be delighted - and somewhat relieved - to stand corrected.

Edited by RenzoInOz

I had to fight with my girlfriend (engineering degree, runs her own business) today to not go, but she is set on going tomorrow to join her friend who is a nurse and came here from Chon Buri at her own expense, another who is a uni teacher in BKK, etc... Will continue to fight that battle tomorrow...

Several of my Thai colleagues at work (international corporation, many with overseas degrees and all perfect English) have friends there and are considering going.

Notice any thing similar in the comments from the people who are for the PAD. They are all rich and educated. NOT A &lt;deleted&gt; CKING one of them cares about the "DUMB UNEDUCATED PEOPLE" the PAD will eradicate if they ever come to power. Just because you are rich and educated doesn't mean you not a "DUMB AS S" Just one question for all of the THAIS that don't care about the "THE POOR DUMB UNEDUCATED' in your society, which is after the PAD is through with them and they come after you, what are you going to do then?

It actual speaks volumes that the educated are doing this.

It says little or nothing about their hating the poor and uneducated.

Many of the newly educated come from under-educated backgrounds to.

MANY EXCELLING STUDENTS ALSO GET INTERNATIONAL STUDY GRANTS.

Now that they see and read better they realize how they and their families are being ripped off.

Maybe the poor don't read or have access to more even handed information,

or just are too focused on survival to care except during village called meetings.

You say rich and 'educated', like this 'educated' is a bad thing...

Some students get scolarships too you know:

My friends stepdaughter has a full medical school scholarship, she is NOT from a rich family by any means...

There is more than the hint of bias in your posts.

Edited by animatic

And you don't see this for the absolutely ridiculous farce it is............. Let me ask you, one very significant Profession in Thailand has it's core skills honed to perfection in Nana, Cowboy and PatP. Will you allow this "Specific Group" to elect their own MP............. Who decides who the groups are, who decides the number of groups, who decides the proportional representation. What you are finally going to end up with is.................. IQ's over 110 allowed only................ You are the most undemocratic promoter on this forum. Heil.......

Edited by jayjayjayjay

I don't think police in my country would use home made grenades, destroying legs. If two people had a broken finger we would discuss the actions of the police

I don't know which country you are from (and to be quite blunt I'm not interested to know) but I can assure you that when police force has to be used to quench a protest, some (if not lots) of people are being hurt, limbs are destroyed, etc...

In most Western countries, Police Force would use teaser guns now. A kind of weapon which has killed already many innocent people and which movies showing the effects of a teaser gun are spread on the Internet.

The "home made grenades" are not a proven statement just like it is not proven yet that the lost leg was due to an explosive carried in the pocket. Thus, I will not respond to this.