Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

TG2 --- first --- careful ....

second ... help me out with these other deaths ....

JD, careful went out the window already...

What's the point in being careful - we tried our best for the majority - it's cleary over - for now. Who cares? The hi-so's will now erase democracy. Don't you get it? This battle has clearly been won. (The fight isn't finished - but there is no immediate come back for the anti-facist camps)

Priviledged Class: 1

Democracy: 0

The Army and establishment will now rally - the disenfranchised have no hope - this time. (my guess is that this is a 5-10 year gain for facsism - but what do I know? My guess is as a good as yours.)

Anyway, unless these other guys pull a rabbit out of their hat - that's it. Authoritarian rule is where we're heading.

And an edit - just for the record - I always said Thaksin was a pain in the ass and most certainly corrupt - but so what - this is Thailand. You think all those Benz's at 200,000 USD each driven by a bureaucrat were paid for legally? Welcome to Thailand - AND NOW! Welcome (back) to facsism.

Edited by thaigene2

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai queen weighs in with anti-government protesters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's Queen Sirikit attended the funeral on Monday of a protester killed in clashes with police last week. <snipped>

After chants of "Long Live Her Majesty" from thousands of members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the queen told Jinda Radappanyawuthi, father of 28-year-old victim Angkana, that his daughter had died in a noble cause.

"Her Majesty said my daughter was a good woman since she had helped the nation and preserved the monarchy," Jinda told reporters after a brief audience at the end of the Buddhist cremation. Tears streaked down his face as he spoke.

Reuters news article continued here:

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/081013/3/3qdlx.html

Thanks SJ

You're welcome

Quiet a contrast between this girls funeral and that of Narongsak Kothaisongs who was the DAAD supporter shot / beaten on the head by someone in the PAD lines. Both were protesting for what they believe in but one was from the urban middle class and one was from the rural poor. Is there anything to be seen in this. Ohhhhh yes....but we can't write about it without a lot of PAD posters gleefully pushing their buttons. Never mind, the rest of the world will draw its own conclusions regardless of any censorship here.

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's Queen Sirikit attended the funeral on Monday of a protester killed in clashes with police last week. <snipped>

After chants of "Long Live Her Majesty" from thousands of members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the queen told Jinda Radappanyawuthi, father of 28-year-old victim Angkana, that his daughter had died in a noble cause.

"Her Majesty said my daughter was a good woman since she had helped the nation and preserved the monarchy," Jinda told reporters after a brief audience at the end of the Buddhist cremation. Tears streaked down his face as he spoke.

Thanks SJ

You're welcome

Quiet a contrast between this girls funeral and that of Narongsak Kothaisongs who was the DAAD supporter shot / beaten on the head by someone in the PAD lines. Both were protesting for what they believe in but one was from the urban middle class and one was from the rural poor. Is there anything to be seen in this. Ohhhhh yes....but we can't write about it without a lot of PAD posters gleefully pushing their buttons. Never mind, the rest of the world will draw its own conclusions regardless of any censorship here.

Yeppers quite a difference in people and what they were doing when they were injured ... one was on the street and killed by the police whilst the other was attacking an entrenched peaceful crowd! But was she really from an urban middle-class family and was he truly rural poor?

Thanks SJ

You're welcome

Careful bangyai - they don't want us to talk about any of this.

Thanks SJ

You're welcome

No problem - need a tissue for the brown stuff?

TG2 --- about those deaths ... care to help us all out there? Fill me in as I seem to have missed soemthing. Your rant looked pretty but lacked any truth.

What rant?

Edited by thaigene2

TG2----

1) it was announced yesterday

2) What other victims .....? You mentioned a policeman etc above and then never answered about them ....

Your rants and lack of facts are tiresome.

edited to add the name of who I was addressing

Edited by jdinasia

TG2----

1) it was announced yesterday

2) What other victims .....? You mentioned a policeman etc above and then never answered about them ....

Your rants and lack of facts are tiresome.

edited to add the name of who I was addressing

Policeman run over by a PAD supporter - reported by foreign media - not Thai (that I am aware of), and then of course the one you can't try to ignore, the pro-government guy dragged away and murdered since he was on the COVER OF THE NATION with the (apparent) perps shown draggin him away (full faces showing).

Your response?

Queen attends slain protester's cremation

Her Majesty the Queen yesterday praised Angkana Radubpanyawoot, who was killed in last Tuesday's violence, as a "good girl" and "protector of the monarchy and the country".

HM the Queen presided over the cremation of Angkana, 28, who died when police dispersed anti-government protesters near Parliament.

She was accompanied by HRH Princess Chulabhorn Valayalaksana. Army chief General Anupong Paochinda also attended the funeral.

Supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy also showed up to pay their respects to Angkana.

Angkana's father, Jinda, told reporters HM the Queen had extended moral support to his family for the loss of his daughter.

"HM the Queen told me that Angkana was a good girl, that she had helped protect the country and the monarchy," Jinda told reporters after the cremation.

The Queen also said His Majesty the King had been informed of the matter and that donations to the Radubpanyawoot family was HM the King's contribution, Jinda said.

Angkana's sister, Daranee, said the Queen told her to take good care of her parents and inquired about the health of her mother, who was in hospital.

"I told Her Majesty that my mother lost two of her toes in an explosion," she said. "Her Majesty extended her blessings for my mother to recover quickly."

Daranee said she could never have imagined HM the Queen would attend her sister's funeral.

"I was so grateful that I had tears in my eyes. Some of my sister's ashes will be sprinkled on the river near Wat Chonglom, and the rest will be kept at Wat Tuk.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat yesterday evening requested an audience with HM the King in Hua Hin. Somchai said he had reported on the present situation to His Majesty.

"I am currently not discouraged to continue my work. I will continue my duty as long as I am still in the post." However, he appeared stressed during his short interaction with the media.

- The Nation / 2008-10-14

Thanks SJ

You're welcome

Yeppers quite a difference in people and what they were doing when they were injured ... one was on the street and killed by the police whilst the other was attacking an entrenched peaceful crowd! But was she really from an urban middle-class family and was he truly rural poor?

This would be the same peaceful crowd lounging around in crash helmets and carrying firearms I presume ?? And she was doing what on the street ? Asking for directions ?

Your next two questions begger belief . I used to teach English and I have some easy reader books I used to give to children. I can send you a couple and when you've finished them you can perhaps progress to the newspapers :o

Edited by Bangyai

Chalerm says PAD deserves slap for hating police

Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Monday that leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy deserved a slap on their mouth for saying they hate police following last week's crackdown on protesters.

One wonders if the punishment for falsifying Parliament attendance records shouldn't also include "a slap on the mouth".... :o

Government whip looking to penalise 'absent' MPs

Deputy House Speaker Samart Kaewmeechai said that though three MPs from coalition parties were not at the parliamentary convention last week, they appeared present in the roll call.

However, he said, no strict measures could be taken to punish the MPs and Senators not attending the government's policy declaration last Tuesday, other than issuing them with a warning. Moreover, he said, the three absences did not affect the quorum of 311, because there were 317 Senators and MPs present and that the Democrats could not have the convention disqualified by the Constitution Court.

Last week, the Opposition said it would file a complaint with the Constitution Court if it found irregularities in the October 7 parliamentary convention. It said that at least three MPs, including Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and MP Sarit Ung-apinan, both from the People Power Party; and Manit Nopamornbodi from Matchima Thipataya Party were not there in person but the roll call showed them as present.

The government whip Witthaya Buranasiri said he was looking for ways to penalise the absent MPs and Senators, adding that the policy declaration was a success regardless of the opposition from Democrats. Still, he said he was studying the law to see if there was a penalty for MPs and Senators who intentionally skipped the convention.

He also added that Chalerm and the other "absent" MPs would have to explain at the House meeting next week why their names showed up at the parliamentary roll-call when they were not there in person.

Chalerm was at his office in the ministry at the same time as he was shown present in Parliament, Witthaya said.

Meanwhile, assistant Democrat secretary-general and Nakhon Si Thammarat MP Thepthai Senpong said the party was trying to verify the signatures of MPs and senators at the session through recordings from the closed circuit television. Lop Buri PPP MP Suchart Lainamngern said the government whip would also seek a Constitution Court ruling against MPs and senators who failed to do their jobs properly.

Witthaya said the government would continue forming a charter-amendment assembly, even though the Democrats were planning to boycott it.

What's the point in being careful - we tried our best for the majority - it's cleary over - for now. Who cares? The hi-so's will now erase democracy. Don't you get it? This battle has clearly been won. (The fight isn't finished - but there is no immediate come back for the anti-facist camps)

Priviledged Class: 1

Democracy: 0

The Army and establishment will now rally - the disenfranchised have no hope - this time. (my guess is that this is a 5-10 year gain for facsism - but what do I know? My guess is as a good as yours.)

Anyway, unless these other guys pull a rabbit out of their hat - that's it. Authoritarian rule is where we're heading.

And an edit - just for the record - I always said Thaksin was a pain in the ass and most certainly corrupt - but so what - this is Thailand. You think all those Benz's at 200,000 USD each driven by a bureaucrat were paid for legally? Welcome to Thailand - AND NOW! Welcome (back) to facsism.

It was always going to be that way Thaigene, right from RAD's arrival on the scene. They showed that priveleged card right from day one. Even the most out there DADD supporter will not cross that line so what hope for the north and north eastern people of Thailand.

Until such time as class and gratitude systems are removed or lessened in thai society it will lurch on as the mess it has been for the last 76 years.

If someone really cared about the people of Isaan and thought of them as equals instead of his children then the solution would be simple.

HM the Queen praises Angkana as good girl and protector of monarchy : Angkana's father

HM the Queen praised on Monday Angkana Radubpanya-avut who was killed in the October 7 violence as good girl and protector of the monarchy and the country.

HM the Queen presided over the cremation of Angkana, 28, who died when police dispersed anti-government protesters near the Parliament on October 7.

Angkana's father, Jinda, told reporters that HM the Queen extended moral support to his family for the loss of his daughter.

from the nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30085938

How dare you use the Queens name to further your cause. You should be ashamed of now and lucky to not have a lesse majesty cause against you. You don't know what he royals think so don't think that you do.

you sicko.

Rick

Edited by bangkokrick

Queen attends slain protester's cremation

Her Majesty the Queen yesterday praised Angkana Radubpanyawoot, who was killed in last Tuesday's violence, as a "good girl" and "protector of the monarchy and the country".- The Nation / 2008-10-14

I think this is the beginning of the end. In the past I have been avocating against PAD. Is it too late to change side? I might need to chnage my name to Judas and move out of Kensington.

Edited by AlKing

PPP tense after Somchai's royal audience

Grim and absent-minded on his return from Hua Hin, PM sounds anything but convincing on government's immediate future

Reporters and People Power Party MPs were scrambling Monday night to try to verify claims that Prime Minister Wongsawat might have decided to dissolve Parliament.

A grim-looking Somchai was tight-lipped upon his return from a royal audience with HM the King in Hua Hin, saying only that he gave the monarch "a normal report on government work like all other prime ministers used to do."

When asked if HM the King gave him any advice or encouragement, Somchai said: "I'm afraid I can't talk about that."

On a bad day politically for his government, Somchai was also asked how he would proceed with government work now.

"As long as I'm in this position, I have to keep working. I just can't stay idle," he said.

When asked if he felt like giving up, he replied: "Can't do that."

He looked tense and absent-minded during the brief talks with reporters.

Cabinet Secretary Surachai Pooprasert was summoned by Somchai on the prime minister's arrival at the temporary Don Muang office shortly after 8.30 pm. Surachai was seen again after 10 pm, but told reporters Somchai summoned him on the government budget.

PPP insiders said a flurry of phone calls ensued among the ruling party's MPs after the royal audience. "Members of each faction were checking with the more senior MPs and the word House dissolution was one everyone's lips," a source said.

Somchai's status became very shaky following the clashes last week between protesters of the People's Alliance for Democracy and the police. Two protesters were killed and hundreds were injured.

Her Majesty the Queen, accompanied by HRH Princess Chulabhorn Valayalaksana, attended the funeral of one of the victims, Angkana Radubpanyawoot, Monday evening. The Queen described her as a good girl who had good intention to protect the country and monarchy.

The big blow for Somchai came earlier in the day when results of a primary scientific probe were announced showing Angkana and other victims suffered from impact of China-made tear gas fired by police.

The police earlier claimed the victims might have been killed or wounded by explosives they or fellow protesters were carrying.

Both Somchai and the police have later said they regretted the casualties, but stopped short of apologizing for the bloodshed.

Somchai left the Don Muang office around 11 pm.

Edited by sriracha john

I've seen numbers 500 and 1000 for armed PAD guards, they have a certain role to play (guards!), and some of them are paid professionals, you can't define the whole movement by them alone.

Angkana was walking with her mother and sisters when she was killed. Looks like a direct hit by an exploding gas canister. The DAAD supporter was a member of a drunken mob sent by sitting government MPs in the middle of the night to provoke violent confrontation and be badly beaten so as to give the government an excuse for declaring State of Emergency.

Central Institute of Forensic Science Director Porntip Rojanasunan said tests conducted on Sunday found the explosive RDX in the tear gas canisters and tear gas grenades used during the Oct 7 crackdown. The substance is used in powerful bombs. Most of the tear gas canisters and tear gas grenades used during the Oct 7 crackdown were made in China and contained RDX, Khunying Porntip said. She said it was found that Angkhana's fatal wound had been caused by the impact of a tear gas canister fired from a shotgun. "I have sent all the findings to the National Human Rights Commission. It was found that the users of the tear gas did not buy them from China. But someone else supplied the tear gas to them." "I don't know if they were ever tested before use," Khunying Porntip said. Earlier yesterday, Khunying Porntip said in a radio interview that politicians had pressured police into cracking down on the PAD demonstrators. "I received information that senior police officers had decided not to disperse the crowds. But they bowed to pressure from politicians," she said. Khunying Porntip added that she had the details of a joint meeting assessing the damage of the crackdown, attended by concerned high-ranking officials. She noted that firing only a few tear gas canisters would have been more than enough to disperse the crowds, instead of the hundreds used. She also questioned why police fired new rounds of tear gas in the evening of Oct 7 when it was known injuries and deaths had resulted from such actions in the morning.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/141008_News/14Oct2008_news02.php

Thanks SJ

You're welcome

No problem - need a tissue for the brown stuff?

Sorry, I must be dense, I don't follow this comment, it doesn't seem to follow-on from the previous two comments,what was intended to be said ?

Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Monday that leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy deserved a slap on their mouth for saying they hate police following last week's crackdown on protesters.

One wonders if the punishment for falsifying Parliament attendance records shouldn't also include "a slap on the mouth".... :o

Deputy House Speaker Samart Kaewmeechai said that though three MPs from coalition parties were not at the parliamentary convention last week, they appeared present in the roll call.

Last week, the Opposition said it would file a complaint with the Constitution Court if it found irregularities in the October 7 parliamentary convention. It said that at least three MPs, including Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and MP Sarit Ung-apinan, both from the People Power Party; and Manit Nopamornbodi from Matchima Thipataya Party were not there in person but the roll call showed them as present.

He also added that Chalerm and the other "absent" MPs would have to explain at the House meeting next week why their names showed up at the parliamentary roll-call when they were not there in person.

Chalerm was at his office in the ministry at the same time as he was shown present in Parliament, Witthaya said.

Deputy House Speaker Samart Kaewmeechai admitted three government MPs had not signed in during last week's joint meeting of parliament called to hear the government's policy statement, but asked colleagues to press voting cards to show they were present.

But removing the names of those MPs, two from the PPP and the other from a coalition party, would not affect the meeting quorum requirement, he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/141008_News/14Oct2008_news06.php

Oh, I see Thaigene was here again. I seriosly suspect that he posts only when he is hopelessly drunk, yesterday was Monday, though.

The reason I'm saying this is because drunk people should get some slack, and because I was awaiting for TG's response in another thread in General, the thread he started himself (11PM post again) but immediately abandonded

Possibly but sometimes in vino veritas.I was once told to ignore a particular Thai's comments because he was drunk.Another Thai friend pointed out that for various reasons it makes sense to take very seriously what a Thai says in his cups since he is released from cultural restraints on his true feelings.What is more he thought many Thais exploited drunkeness to make some needed to be made points, and would not be "blamed" for doing so.Look how polite and accomodating Thais are to annoying drunks:there's something about unrestrained thoughts that makes them nervous.But I digress.

What then children are the lessons to be learnt from this thread particularly recent posts?

1.This forum cannot provide a grown up place for discussion on Thai politics because of the rules.I'm not complaining and some great contributions are made from various points of view.But ultimately it cannot make very much sense because of what is off limits.We accept it but the obvious needs stating sometimes.For an adult discussion one has to look elsewhere.

2.Nothing which has happened very recently will surprise anyone with a nodding acquaintance with Thai history, particularly the full context of 1976.

3.Nothing is resolved.The problem becomes more intractible by the day and there are people on both sides of the divide who are looking for a bloody resolution.

4.In my view the ultimate result is inevitable, a when rather than an if question.Time and gravity will have their effect.Can the elite develop a sense of enlightened self interest which saved ruling classes elsewhere?Not much evidence of it today but my money's still on Abhisit/Korn (despite his recent silliness) etc.

Oh, I see Thaigene was here again. I seriosly suspect that he posts only when he is hopelessly drunk, yesterday was Monday, though.

The reason I'm saying this is because drunk people should get some slack, and because I was awaiting for TG's response in another thread in General, the thread he started himself (11PM post again) but immediately abandonded

Possibly but sometimes in vino veritas.I was once told to ignore a particular Thai's comments because he was drunk.Another Thai friend pointed out that for various reasons it makes sense to take very seriously what a Thai says in his cups since he is released from cultural restraints on his true feelings.What is more he thought many Thais exploited drunkeness to make some needed to be made points, and would not be "blamed" for doing so.Look how polite and accomodating Thais are to annoying drunks:there's something about unrestrained thoughts that makes them nervous.But I digress.

What then children are the lessons to be learnt from this thread particularly recent posts?

1.This forum cannot provide a grown up place for discussion on Thai politics because of the rules.I'm not complaining and some great contributions are made from various points of view.But ultimately it cannot make very much sense because of what is off limits.We accept it but the obvious needs stating sometimes.For an adult discussion one has to look elsewhere.

2.Nothing which has happened very recently will surprise anyone with a nodding acquaintance with Thai history, particularly the full context of 1976.

3.Nothing is resolved.The problem becomes more intractible by the day and there are people on both sides of the divide who are looking for a bloody resolution.

4.In my view the ultimate result is inevitable, a when rather than an if question.Time and gravity will have their effect.Can the elite develop a sense of enlightened self interest which saved ruling classes elsewhere?Not much evidence of it today but my money's still on Abhisit/Korn (despite his recent silliness) etc.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with point 1. In the current situation (from the beginning of the PAD sit ins) it appears rather pointless to have a discussion without being able to mention it.

Thanks SJ

You're welcome

This would be the same peaceful crowd lounging around in crash helmets and carrying firearms I presume ?? And she was doing what on the street ? Asking for directions ?

Your next two questions begger belief. I used to teach English and I have some easy reader books I used to give to children. I can send you a couple and when you've finished them you can perhaps progress to the newspapers :o

This is why people get banned, by hurling insults like the highlighted above.

Someone disagrees with you and you say; they are not smart enough to read a newspaper...

A clear flame.

But then it seems everything appears to be so black and white to you

that you MUST rail against any and all who disagree with your views.

And of course you try to use 'PAD supporter' as an insult, like Republican's use 'Liberal'.

It could be some just find your views and attitude towards others extreme

and needing a contrasting view for balance.

I find it drole that so many with clear socialist leanings are screaming about the loss of democracy.

But I see it that the main reason the Issan people don't get a fair shake is entrenched institutionalized

CORRUPTION, less than societal hierchy issues. Hi-so / Low-So issues exist world wide,

including in communist/socialist states, you can't single out Thailand as any different.

Try as you might, pure egalitarian life is utopian thought and not reality based.

Lessen over-arching corruption and naturally more flows to the little people, fairer pay for their labors.

Restoring a true democracy is laudable IF the corruption is controlled.

But keeping 'pure democracy', and letting the corruption continue to run rough shod

over the whole country does NOT solve the basic problems of the Issan people.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also note you (plural) are having a fine roll on of your opinions.

No one gets banned for writing against PAD,

but members DO get banned for writing B.S., or flaming others.

But hey if someone disagrees with ANYTHING you say...

they MUST be PAD and an enemy of 'right thinking people'. HAH!

Tain't so, it's just ego gratification run amuk.

There is the same small clique writing on and on,

but only getting time outs for getting nasty.

Edited by animatic

4.In my view the ultimate result is inevitable, a when rather than an if question.Time and gravity will have their effect.Can the elite develop a sense of enlightened self interest which saved ruling classes elsewhere?

Hear , hear.

Deputy House Speaker Samart Kaewmeechai admitted three government MPs had not signed in during last week's joint meeting of parliament called to hear the government's policy statement, but asked colleagues to press voting cards to show they were present.

But removing the names of those MPs, two from the PPP and the other from a coalition party, would not affect the meeting quorum requirement, he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/141008_News/14Oct2008_news06.php

The other questions are:

Who pushed the buttons or cards to make it SEEM that these persons were actualy there?

Are they not culpable for fraud, by pretending to be others to meet a quorum?

Are there any OTHERS yet to be proven absent also?

Even I almost never agree with you. You are complete right here. Specially point 1 is restricting a real discussion, no matter on which side you stay.