Business In Singapore, Live In Thailand?

Hi all,

I already tried to solve my problem on another thread, but I just thought I would post another topic to see the whole range of options I have at my disposal.

I'm currently living and working in Singapore as a freelance translator/teacher. After having reviewed all the obstacles of setting up a Thai company, I've thought about something else, although I'm not sure it is feasible.

Given I have no customers in Thailand and that everything I translate is done through Internet (my customers contact me by email, I do the translations and then return them via email too), would it be possible to continue my business as it is in Singapore, and find a way to live in Thailand at the same time? My understanding is that I cannot work in Thailand without a proper work permit, but in my case, I have no business ties with Thailand, so...

That would be the business side of the equation. Now, for the residence side, I have to find a way to legally stay in Thailand. I want to learn Thai, so maybe I could apply for a student visa.

To sum it up, is it possible to:

1. Work under the shelter of my Singapore company, while in Thailand? (no branch or representative offices, as this also involves investing a lot of money)

2. Are there any conflicting issues with having this status and a student visa in Thailand?

Thanks for your info!

Guillaume

1.Having a company in Singapore company will provide you no shelter as far as working goes.

The law says any work is illegal for an alien without a work permit. Even working without pay is illegal.

2.No conflict because as I said you can't legaly do what you are thinking of doiing.

You can enroll in a school teaching Thai with no problem and get a visa that is extended every 90 days.

Others will be making posts here soon I am sure.

Edited by ubonjoe

I assume you are under 50 years old and not married to a Thai.

Your Singapore company will not help at all.

Thailand does not encourage people to just live in the country.

You either need a job, with a Work Permit, or to be married to a Thai,

or over 50 and retired

The only option for you will be a one year visa is based on education, learning Thai,

but that is not a long term solution.

Read these two topics

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Special-Case...er-t215190.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Initial-Post...or-t211612.html

where similar situations have been discussed.