Homesick?

pop_corn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a list of 12 random things to do; of the 12, at least 2 options might be something you'd normally feel uncomfortable doing...

Take a couple of dice, and throw. Perform the option that you have listed corresponding to the dice throw. Do not cheat. Repeat.

(credit: "The Dice Man")

lol.... I came here because my family was leaving here, they are not any longer here, Im studying Communications Arts and as is my last year I don't have more than 2 subjects right now (thats why a lot of free time)

Not sure what Communications Arts is, but if it has something to do with Communications, and you have been here for years, without manage to get any local friends.

Wow!!

Maybe Communications is not the thing for you then?

:o

Only kidding.

Im studying Communications Arts and as is my last year I don't have more than 2 subjects right now (thats why a lot of free time)

Are you at Raffles? They have talks that seem quite interesting. I went to one that was boring as all get out... but they can't all be that bad (just make sure you sit near the door so you can slide out).

Also, Thailand now has TDCD - Thailand Creative & Design Center. They always have something going on and there are tons of people to meet with your same chosen profession. Contacts never hurt in the design industry, no matter where you go.

There's also a struggling design org around BKK somewhere (I lost track)... they might need help...

Offer to intern at a design company in BKK (google)...

Besides the Soi Dogs, donate your time to a worthy cause needing creative skills... there are groups set up online for designers to help out with short term and long term projects. Just google or pm me.

hehe, Thanks for the advices desi :D But I think you got a bit confused because I study "Communications arts" and it has nothing to do with design :D I’m at Bkk University, and my career is quite focused on Management, actually my electives are all about business planning and crisis management. I still do appreciate your help!! :o

Hi Popcorn, why not do some volunteer work with Burmese refugees up nr CM or an orphanage in the Kao Lak (Tsunami)area.

Working with an NGO in CM won't give you time to think about yourself.

Go for it Girl! :o

I've just bought a ticket out to LOS in early November for 90 days of R&R, some of which will be spent at leisure. However, I'm very aware of my own boredom threshold and the idea of a few weeks lending a hand in CM with the Burmese refugees sounds just the thing to fill in the gaps.

Anyone got any specific details as to how I can get involved? Who to contact, where, how etc?

Popcorn - in my life, I've found that keeping the three elements of our threefold nature satisfied - that is, body, mind and spirit - never fails to lift me out of the dumps. So assuming you're looking after your material needs properly (food, shelter etc), getting enough intellectual stimulation (at whatever level - reading Encyclopedia Britannica or just contributing to TV - sorry! no insult intended) that only leaves the spirit to care for, and that's best done IMHO by engaging in some form of selfless/altruistic endeavour.............which is why I'd appreciate any pointers as I requested above. Nothing better than helping your fellow man out, I've found!!

As for homesickness, I think you've just got to live with it. Absence, as they say, makes the heart grow fonder. BUT you do know it's only for a finite period, your nearest and dearest will always be there for you, and you have the best of all carrots to go for - returning to home base!! We often don't appreciate what we have until it's gone, so maybe such a period of absence from our familiar home territory is actually a desirable thing, in order to maintain a realistic overview of life.

Anyway, keep yourself busy, babe, focus on selflessness instead of self, and I wish you all the very best.