Tourist Visa & Visa Run.

Hello,

I want to move to Thailand and spend an extended period of time there (several months, years, ... not entirely sure yet).

Is it realistic to think this is possible when I am entering on a tourist visa?

I am sure I am not the only person in my position and I have been trying to piece the information together from different topics on this and other sites, but I have to admit I am still not entirely clear on what is possible, and what is not.

I am Belgian, 35 years old, have girlfriend in Thailand, not thinking about marriage yet, probably not in the first year. I will more than likely be living in Surin for the first few months.

Can I come to Thailand on a tourist visa, valid two months, and go on one of the 'visa runs' I see advertised everywhere? How long can I do this?

Thank you.

Arnaud.

Yes you can, I'm guessing you get your tourist visa from the embassy in Brussels, then try to go for a double entry, this way, you can stay in Thailand for 2x60 days, and each entry can be extened with another 30 days at the nearest immigration office for 1900 baht.

From then on, you could do what many people do, get a double TV from Vientiane, and repeat the process.

Until of course you do qualify for a long term visa (non immigrant O). A marriage might do the trick :o

With a tourist visa you get 60 days on entry and can be extended for 30 days. Then If you have a 2 entry visa you can go to the border exit the country and come back again which starts the cycle all over again. You can get a tourist visa with 2 or 3 entries before you leave your home country. After you use up the visa you will have to a get new visa. Vientiane Laos is currently giving two entry visas.

How long can you do it? Well I guess you could do it until your money runs out.

Hi AJ,

Why don't you apply for a NON Immigrant type 'O' visa at the Thai Embassy in Brussels? You should be able to get a one year multiple entry visa. That way you can enter Thailand and stay up to 90 days, after which you do a visa-run and get another 90 days.

You can repeat this process right up to the last day of the validity of your NON O visa and still get admitted for another 90 days, which in effect makes it possible to stay for a total of 15 months, without having to re-apply at any embassy.

Finally after 15 months, you have to find a country where you can apply for a new visa (back in Belgium perhaps?)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

All the best,

Frm-Bkk

Hi AJ,

Why don't you apply for a NON Immigrant type 'O' visa at the Thai Embassy in Brussels? You should be able to get a one year multiple entry visa

Do you have any evidence to support that suggestion?

Most Embassies are reluctant to issue such visas,

a visit to a friendly consulate usually produces better results.

hello jaco, as sugested you should try to get a non-O multi entry BUT do NOT try this at a thai embassy, our country(belgium) has three consulates.

luxembourg and liege : the consul is the same and is the boss of a liege factory, actually the consulate in inside the factory, a bit surprising when you go there for the first time and you see all the shift workers in blue acket and paint.

here are the adresses of the consulate aswell as the phone numbers.

Royal Thai Consulate a Anvers

44 A, Meir

2000 Anvers

BELGIQUE

tel : (32.3) 205.92.03 - fax : (32.3) 226.44.52

Royal Thai Consulate a Liège

rue Côte d'Or 274

B-4000 Liège

BELGIQUE

tel : (32.42) 52.21.63 - fax : (32.42) 51.12.75

Royal Thai Consulate-General au Luxembourg

14, rue Erasme

L-1468, LUXEMBOURG

tel : (35.2) 40.78.78 - fax : (35.2) 40.78.04

Hi AJ,

Why don't you apply for a NON Immigrant type 'O' visa at the Thai Embassy in Brussels? You should be able to get a one year multiple entry visa

Do you have any evidence to support that suggestion?

Most Embassies are reluctant to issue such visas,

a visit to a friendly consulate usually produces better results.

I was not aware of the difficulties Embassies impose on applicants applying for NON O visas. My NON O is from Hull, which seems to be one of the easiest Consulates from where to obtain such visa.

I am glad that you have pointed this out to me for future reference.

Thank you.

Frm-Bkk

Hi AJ,Why don't you apply for a NON Immigrant type 'O' visa at the Thai Embassy in Brussels? You should be able to get a one year multiple entry visa
Do you have any evidence to support that suggestion?Most Embassies are reluctant to issue such visas, a visit to a friendly consulate usually produces better results.
I was not aware of the difficulties Embassies impose on applicants applying for NON O visas. My NON O is from Hull, which seems to be one of the easiest Consulates from where to obtain such visa.I am glad that you have pointed this out to me for future reference.Thank you.Frm-Bkk

He was referring to a visa to visit friends. Over fifty, to visit wife, and to visit family no problems in most cases.

Official Thai consulates can be a bit more pickey on requirements to obtain any type visa.

Honarary consulates such as Hull and those mentioned in NHJ's post can be much more friendly in most cases.

Yes you can, I'm guessing you get your tourist visa from the embassy in Brussels, then try to go for a double entry, this way, you can stay in Thailand for 2x60 days, and each entry can be extened with another 30 days at the nearest immigration office for 1900 baht.

From then on, you could do what many people do, get a double TV from Vientiane, and repeat the process.

Until of course you do qualify for a long term visa (non immigrant O). A marriage might do the trick :o

Hi there,

I really thought I had provided all the necessary details (age, nationality, ...) but I did forget to mention I am living in China, Beijing, at the moment and will be traveling from Thailand from here.

What is TV from Vientiane?

When will I qualify for a long term visa (non immigrant O)?

Do I understand this correctly: I get a double entry tourist visa, allowing me to stay 60 days, I get an extension after the first 60 days, which will cost me 1900Bt (I do not have to leave the country, correct?)

Do I have to leave the country after the extension of 30 days, i.e. when I've been in Thailand for 90 days, and come back on my double entry, allowing me another 60 days, with the possibility of extending again for an additional 30 days?

Sorry for all these questions... and thank you very much for all the replies.

Arnaud.

Hi there,

I really thought I had provided all the necessary details (age, nationality, ...) but I did forget to mention I am living in China, Beijing, at the moment and will be traveling from Thailand from here.

What is TV from Vientiane? Tourist Visa. The consulate in Vientiene, the Capital of Laos.

Do I understand this correctly: I get a double entry tourist visa, allowing me to stay 60 days, I get an extension after the first 60 days, which will cost me 1900Bt (I do not have to leave the country, correct?) Correct. Apply for extension at nearest immigration office.

Do I have to leave the country after the extension of 30 days, i.e. when I've been in Thailand for 90 days, and come back on my double entry, allowing me another 60 days, with the possibility of extending again for an additional 30 days? Yes, you must leave Thailand. Just go to the border, exit and then come straight back in for the second entry of 60 days + extension.

Arnaud.

Hi there,

What is TV from Vientiane? Tourist Visa. The consulate in Vientiene, the Capital of Laos.

Do I understand this correctly: I get a double entry tourist visa, allowing me to stay 60 days, I get an extension after the first 60 days, which will cost me 1900Bt (I do not have to leave the country, correct?) Correct. Apply for extension at nearest immigration office.

Do I have to leave the country after the extension of 30 days, i.e. when I've been in Thailand for 90 days, and come back on my double entry, allowing me another 60 days, with the possibility of extending again for an additional 30 days? Yes, you must leave Thailand. Just go to the border, exit and then come straight back in for the second entry of 60 days + extension.

Arnaud.

Thank you very much for clearing all of this up. Really appreciate it.

Arnaud.

...When will I qualify for a long term visa (non immigrant O)?...

The official requirements for a non-O visa (non-immigrant visa type O) are stated on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Some consulates headed by an honorary consul sometimes do not apply all those requirements.

--

Maestro

Thank you very much for that link. That has cleared up a few things.

Regards,

Arnaud.

Hello,

I want to move to Thailand and spend an extended period of time there (several months, years, ... not entirely sure yet).

Is it realistic to think this is possible when I am entering on a tourist visa?

I am sure I am not the only person in my position and I have been trying to piece the information together from different topics on this and other sites, but I have to admit I am still not entirely clear on what is possible, and what is not.

I am Belgian, 35 years old, have girlfriend in Thailand, not thinking about marriage yet, probably not in the first year. I will more than likely be living in Surin for the first few months.

Can I come to Thailand on a tourist visa, valid two months, and go on one of the 'visa runs' I see advertised everywhere? How long can I do this?

Thank you.

Arnaud.

hello A.J.

yes you can... i'm belgium to 27 years and been doing it to.

not yet have allot of experions.. just here for 7 months and counting but it go's.

iff you go for a tourist visa in belgium, go to the consulate in antwerpen... i been there before and got a double entry visa ( good for 6 months in total)

hope it go's good for you... i know it go's good for me :o

cheers mate

best a luck