Tanks Being Prepared...

Wolfie

Mrs Wolfie just sent me a very worried message, she works in an office in the Sanam Pao area (near the BTS, next to the Channel 5 office) on a high floor (30-ish) and can see the military base opposite...

... shes just said to me they have moved 23 tanks into the area where they usually land helicopters and are making preparations for something...

is there anything special happening today that anyone knows of? Military parade or something... or should we start worrying about what happened the last time the tanks were rolled out?

Shes got some pictures from her mobile and is trying to send them to me.. once i get them i will post them up (might be tonight when i get home, as i cant get the MMS application to work on my iPhone)

Tanks are useless for quelling civil insurrections. They are cumbersome and chew up the pavement. They have a tendancy to knock over traffic lights, crash into vehicles and get caught up in the low hanging power lines of Bangkok. You can't really fire off the big guns now can you? I'd expect it's normal maintenance. The vehicles have to be started up and moved around on a regular basis to maintain readiness.

I'd be more worried about APC and standard troop transport vehicles showing up. That's when I'd join you in saying the word I don't dare name lest I be spanked for violating forum rules.

Tanks worked in Tienemen Square, which is one of the largest public squares in the world. But China will forever have lost face for that. Tanks come in different sizes, and some have wheels instead of tracks. Large movements of troops would be a last-minute clue, I think.

We do not understand Thais, and they can do foolish things. But killing thousands of Thai Buddhists in broad daylight is not good for one's political or military career here. Thank God, this is not Myanmar. Yet.

Thanks Wolfie for adding a interesting post. It will be even more interesting to see how things develop.

And Geriatrickid ..... you make a very good point .... one thought though ..... if you were planning to use armoured troop carriers, wouldn't you also want tanks in a handy location just in case things got out of hand?

- What ever happened to that pinned thread free of political comment/argument where members could post alerts and information?

Thank God, this is not Myanmar. Yet.

for slaughtering unarmed civilians.....light infantry units will do just fine.....

those tanks warming up in the yards are for their own protection since if soldiers were to ever turn guns on each other having tanks would increase the odds of a victory although probability of this happening is virtually nil....

if they ever came out...enjoy it like a kid as if it were a weekend parade....

We do not understand Thais, and they can do foolish things. But killing thousands of Thai Buddhists in broad daylight is not good for one's political or military career here.

Not specifically perhaps, but let's not quibble over details. Inciting people to violence leading to the deaths of dozens of Thamasat University students in 1976 didn't do much damage to our last PM's political career, did it?

It's ironic that while that was overlooked, showind some idiots how to rustle up a nice curry on TV brought about his downfall.

I have an idea that might work and also kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

You know all those expensive fire trucks that are mothballed somewhere in the city. Why can't the police just get a few of those loaded up with WATER and do the old pre-songkran routine on the protesters?

Once in use, the fire trucks can then be distributed to various firehalls in the city as a show of goodwill.

Result: Firetruck scandal - off the books because of the good deed in helping to end the crisis

Result: Crisis ends as PAD realise that it was time for a shower and go home.

Result: Stockmarket rebounds, we all get back to work.

Result: High season is saved and James is granted PR status.

You are welcome Thailand.

I have an idea that might work and also kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

You know all those expensive fire trucks that are mothballed somewhere in the city. Why can't the police just get a few of those loaded up with WATER and do the old pre-songkran routine on the protesters?

Once in use, the fire trucks can then be distributed to various firehalls in the city as a show of goodwill.

Result: Firetruck scandal - off the books because of the good deed in helping to end the crisis

:o:D

Tanks are useless for quelling civil insurrections. They are cumbersome and chew up the pavement. They have a tendancy to knock over traffic lights, crash into vehicles and get caught up in the low hanging power lines of Bangkok. You can't really fire off the big guns now can you? I'd expect it's normal maintenance. The vehicles have to be started up and moved around on a regular basis to maintain readiness.

I'd be more worried about APC and standard troop transport vehicles showing up. That's when I'd join you in saying the word I don't dare name lest I be spanked for violating forum rules.

Were you not here in '06?

You're assuming that they would be used against the PAD. The army would not necessarily be backing the government. They could be brought out as part of a coup to topple the government, like last time, to roll around and park on strategic corners for PAD supporters to take photographs of their children.

good one James, I could get them released for you tomorrow, unfortunately with the present economic climate, the storage fees would break the BMA - so they will have to stay where they are for now :o

They are generally considered to be less than effective in an urban environment when facing an armed opposition such as a conventional army. But when used against an unarmed civilian population they instill a high degree of fear that usually clears a street fairly rapidly.The physcological impact of tanks on street corners etc is a very powerful image & probably one of the first lessons learnt in the staff colleges of third world countries.

As you say, it is the APC's & the troops therein that actually do the 'grunt' work of cracking skulls.

edit: typo

Edited by LooseCannon

good one James, I could get them released for you tomorrow, unfortunately with the present economic climate, the storage fees would break the BMA - so they will have to stay where they are for now :o

Sound like James need a shower too. Actually it would be a good idea to wash down dirty Bangkok streets.

Edited by Aries74

Considering all the new elevated highways around Bangkok that drop down into the major avenues, and considering the size of the major intersections, there is nothing that says "I control this space" than a piece of equipment like an old M60. (Mind you rubberized treads with surprisingly little weight per surface area will do little harm to the pavement.) So although not particularly nimble in the smaller sois, given the road maps of Bangkok with wide primary avenues and with convergence on large intersections is common, t'is over all an ill omen. And remember that these beasts can carry anti-personnel rounds (flechettes) and carry at least two smaller (30 cal) automatic weapons.

The Thai army has enough equipment that can accomodate the most fervent advocate of a "rolling in the tanks" strategy. For the sake of discussion, here is the Thai inventory (apologies to military folks if I am off by a few vehicles);

Main Battle Tanks

M60A3- 77

M60A1 - 53

M48A5- 150

M41 A1-A2-A3 - 200

Stingray Light -106 (Here's a piece of trivia, Thailand is the only country to have Stingrays.)

Light Armoured Vehicles

Scorpion CVRT FV101 - 154

M113 A1/A2 - 340

M577A3 - 12

M113A3 ARV -10

M113A3 Ambulance - 10

YW 531 H ( Chinese Type-85) - 1,400

M1064 120 mm mortar carrier- 122

Wheeled Armoured Vehicles

V-150 -150

Tanks are gas guzzlers and most if not all, are not road friendly. They are only good in wide open spaces. (Look at how Thais drive, now imagine trying to negotiate a soi in a big tank :o )

If we see tanks, it will be as said by others, for show purposes.

Those LAVs especially the scorpions look like tanks to non military folks like me and are intimidating enough.

I think we can all agree, that hopefully none of the equipment will be deployed. Whatever side of the fence we are on, we don't want to see them used against non-military targets. It's rather a sad state of affairs when heavy equipment has to be deployed against a population.

edit: fixed crappy formats.

Edited by geriatrickid

Tanks worked well in China - if I remember correctly - they rolled over the protesters. :o

Except that here, as we all know, they wouldn't touch a yellow hair on their heads, now would they? Maybe they're going to fire shells at Parliament just like Moscow? Kind of kills two birds with one stone. Parliament lies in ruin - so no need for democracy...PAD wins (for now).

People smirk at the thought that one day the majority will win this struggle. I say don't expect that Sompong the farmer will be the guy leading the final charge against the wealthy families, it will be one of their own, the enemy within - a smart Chula or Thammasat student (probably from a priviledge background) who rejects daddys' corrupt ways, his Benz's and the Mia Nois. Maybe he (or she) will have a chip on the shoulder about the way rich Mommy was treated.

Patience is a virtue. But make no mistake that day will come...it always does. :D

I say don't expect that Sompong the farmer will be the guy leading the final charge against the wealthy families, it will be one of their own, the enemy within - a smart Chula or Thammasat student (probably from a priviledge background) who rejects daddys' corrupt ways, his Benz's and the Mia Nois. Maybe he (or she) will have a chip on the shoulder about the way rich Mommy was treated.Patience is a virtue. But make no mistake that day will come...it always does. :D

Someone's read his history :o . Well done. In case, anyone doubts the above, consider;

Gandhi- At one time a debonnair westernized lawyer

Mandela - A lawyer, that became radicalized during his apprenticeship.

Lenin- Journalist/scholar that excelled in Lain & Greek before he became a commie. He radicalized after his brother was hanged for alleged involvement in an assassination plot.

Mao-Zedong - A school principal & librarian that radicalized as he organized protests against Japanese land grabs in China.

Ho-Chi-Minh- Father was officer of Imperial court. Uncle Ho gave up privelidge to become a teacher, but not before living in the splendour of Paris.

Franklin Roosevelt - Harvard and Columbia law graduate, bastions of the wealthy. He gave the USA social benefits that many called commie.

Maggie Thatcher - Shopkeeper's daughter that graduated in Chemistry and Law. She might have been accused of right wing policies, but they were radical and against the grain during the uber left era of the UK.

Martin Luther King - A conservative preacher (he was, despite accusations of being a commie) that could speak to people's hearts.

All were in the right place at the right time, shaped by events that moved them in a direction. None was ever pegged as a "leader". All were ordinary people that had an extraordinary impact that changed society.