Last Time You Drove 200 Kms/hour...was When And Where ?

LaoPo

More than 200 km/h at least 5 times every week with a Toyota MR2 MKIII, in Athens highways (Greece).

Top speed 270 km/h one time with a BMW M5 2007 with 507 horsepower (can go more but electronically limit up to 270 km/h), in Greece.

310 km/h with a friends Porsche 911 GT2, at a German autobahn near Munhen!

Max speed ever in Thailand 180 km/h trying to catch an airplane in BKK.

I know I am crazy, but I am already crazy going every 2-3 months in Thailand...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than 200 km/h at least 5 times every week with a Toyota MR2 MKIII, in Athens highways (Greece).

Top speed 270 km/h one time with a BMW M5 2007 with 507 horsepower (can go more but electronically limit up to 270 km/h), in Greece.

310 km/h with a friends Porsche 911 GT2, at a German autobahn near Munhen!

Max speed ever in Thailand 180 km/h trying to catch an airplane in BKK.

I know I am crazy, but I am already crazy going every 2-3 months in Thailand...

We know now too....I suppose you won't make 500 posts here...(now at 12....) :o

SLOW DOWN !!!

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Last time you drove 200 Kms/hour (124.2742384474 miles/hour)...was when and where ?

Today it was beautiful dry and sunny weather on a smooth and very quiet Autobahn in Germany and I touched the 200 Km/hour, just for a very short while. :o

I tested Granny, one of our cars but she is full with emotions.

She's a well kept and in top condition Mercedes Benz, 2-door 300CE Coupe, built in 1989 and newly bought by my late Father. She has just 130.000 original kms on the ''clock'', which I reached this week; that's a mere 6,666 kms/year since she was built.

I had to drive to the airport in Dusseldorf to pick up my wife so I couldn't resist and wanted to see if Granny had any problems with high speeds; Granny didn't mind and in fact was spinning, full of joy. She didn't go out for a long drive for many years, that's why :D

Well, a man and his toys...I suppose.

Germany is one of the last places on Earth one can reach high speeds for a short while (on quiet tracks) :D

Did anyone here ever drove at high speeds in Thailand...let's say over 150 kms/hr ? If so, where ?

LaoPo

On the main road down to Hua hin, however before the Uk had speed cameras I managed over 270kmh on a suzuki gsx 1100r :D

Last time you drove 200 Kms/hour (124.2742384474 miles/hour)...was when and where ?

Today it was beautiful dry and sunny weather on a smooth and very quiet Autobahn in Germany and I touched the 200 Km/hour, just for a very short while. :o

I tested Granny, one of our cars but she is full with emotions.

She's a well kept and in top condition Mercedes Benz, 2-door 300CE Coupe, built in 1989 and newly bought by my late Father. She has just 130.000 original kms on the ''clock'', which I reached this week; that's a mere 6,666 kms/year since she was built.

I had to drive to the airport in Dusseldorf to pick up my wife so I couldn't resist and wanted to see if Granny had any problems with high speeds; Granny didn't mind and in fact was spinning, full of joy. She didn't go out for a long drive for many years, that's why :D

Well, a man and his toys...I suppose.

Germany is one of the last places on Earth one can reach high speeds for a short while (on quiet tracks) :D

Did anyone here ever drove at high speeds in Thailand...let's say over 150 kms/hr ? If so, where ?

LaoPo

On the main road down to Hua hin, however before the Uk had speed cameras I managed over 270kmh on a suzuki gsx 1100r :D

Am doing 67000 mph just standing still!!

Before the UK went speed camera crazy I'd regularly drive over 200kpm (125mph). In Thailand I've driven 150+ going from Pattaya to Buriram but usually stick around 120-140 or whatever speed the car I am following (for him to catch the speed ticket) wants to go.

222 km/h Chonburi-Bangkok, just yesrerday

:o ..is that really possible...? unbelievable......I wouldn't even dare to try in Germany, let alone in Thailand...

LaoPo

Before the UK went speed camera crazy I'd regularly drive over 200kpm (125mph). In Thailand I've driven 150+ going from Pattaya to Buriram but usually stick around 120-140 or whatever speed the car I am following (for him to catch the speed ticket) wants to go.

Takes a d_mn long time then if you behind one of those rice tractors.

is that really possible...? unbelievable......I wouldn't even dare to try in Germany, let alone in Thailand...

Why not?

In the night time the way from North Pattaya to Suwarnabhumi take about 40 min, day time - 50-55 min

The road is quiet good, except 2-3 jumps after service area and no police in the night time. In the day time also )))

On the some autobahn in Germany even 300 km/h is possible to drive

Edited by Grant

is that really possible...? unbelievable......I wouldn't even dare to try in Germany, let alone in Thailand...

Why not?

In the night time the way from North Pattaya to Suwarnabhumi take about 40 min, day time - 50-55 min

The road is quiet good, except 2-3 jumps after service area and no police in the night time. In the day time also )))

On the some autobahn in Germany even 300 km/h is possible to drive

Well, because the Highway roads I've seen in LOS are in no way the quality and smoothness as you can find them in countries like Germany; but they're even better in France, Italy and some parts of Spain. That's why I wouldn't dare to ride over 200 km/hr in Thailand.

And, maybe some are able to reach 300 km/hr for just a minute or so in Germany but it's virtually impossible to ride at that speed for 5 or more minutes at the time; I'm talking daylight and dry sunny weather. At night it's even more dangerous and impossible.

But hey, if someone wants to kill himself...go ahead; as long as you don't kill anyone else.... :o

Just to show what could happen if one rides faster than the allowed -just- 70km/hr on a non-highway, overtaking another car and passing a village in Austria (at night).....it's the car of extreme right wing leader Jorg Haider from Austria, in which he was killed, last night:

post-13995-1223759324_thumb.jpg

more photos, but in German:

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/innenpol...x.do&popup=

LaoPo

The morality, driver skill and technical conditions of car is another question for another discussion.

250-260 km/h is absolutely possible speed on elevated way Chonburi-Bangkok for example.

But it doesn't mean that everybody must drive that fast.

The first thing that I change on every car is the brake system and the second is suspension.

Just look at the standard brake pad from the factory and you'll understand who is real killer on the road.

The morality, driver skill and technical conditions of car is another question for another discussion.

250-260 km/h is absolutely possible speed on elevated way Chonburi-Bangkok for example.

Maybe; I can't judge that.

It needs just one driver, not so skilled, making a wrong move and you passing at 250km/hr........ and bye bye Grant... :D ..or a small animal, crossing the road... :D:o

Driving at such speeds in LOS is nuts...sorry, but that's my personal opinion.

LaoPo

Un-named country road, Easter 2008, my brothers GSX1100R 225kph on the clock...but not for long! Sighting kangaroos and emus gets me on the brakes faster than a Pattaya pick-pocket can get in and out of an ex-pats trouser pocket!

Same road late nineties I got my Katana 650 over the magic 200 for the first time! A new Akrapovic 4-2-1 was all it took to get me from the high 180's to the magic double ton.

Un-named country road, Easter 2008, my brothers GSX1100R 225kph on the clock...but not for long! Sighting kangaroos and emus gets me on the brakes faster than a Pattaya pick-pocket can get in and out of an ex-pats trouser pocket!

:o:D

LaoPo

Just to show what could happen if one rides faster than the allowed -just- 70km/hr on a non-highway, overtaking another car and passing a village in Austria (at night).....it's the car of extreme right wing leader Jorg Haider from Austria, in which he was killed, last night:

post-13995-1223759324_thumb.jpg

more photos, but in German:

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/innenpol...x.do&popup=

LaoPo

Austrian police told reporters that Mr. Haider was driving at double speed at 142 km/hr (overtaking another car at night) in a place (village) with a speed limit of 70 km/hr.

Mr. Haider drove a four-wheeled drive VW Phaeton V6 ....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle4929895.ece

edit:

"Mr Haider had crashed shortly after leaving a nightclub.

However, prosecutor Gottfried Kranza would not say whether Mr Haider's body had tested positive for alcohol."

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hi.

Sorry to be sarcastic (and off-topic) but i wish some more of Haider's kind would die in similar fashion. Bloody Nazis.

But on the other hand i still wonder why he died in that car. A Phaeton is no Coke-Can like some other cars. He probably wasn't wearing seat belts.

best regards....

Thanh

It needs just one driver, not so skilled, making a wrong move and you passing at 250km/hr...

Agree but 150 km/h will also enough for someone - all depend on driver skill, personal reaction and brake system

200,000 km accept rally race already done...

I have driven and rode over 200 km/h many times, on Autobahn I rode my old Kawasaki 750 Turbo in 280 km/h over a long stretch, drove my old Mercedes E 300 in 220 - 230 there as well. In my home country I rode in 250 km/h with the very same Kawa, loved it...

In Thailand 240 km/h on route 7 from Bangkok to Chonburi a quiet night with my old Integra, and rode 220 km/h on route 36 between Pattaya and Rayong on my old CBR 600 RR from the start to the end a quiet night to see if I could get a new record.

Normally I drive 160 on all the better roads with my car here, sometimes faster if the traffic allows it depends... My new bike showed 180 km/h which maxed it out on route 36.

I understand it is pretty stupid to do so but... :o

Hi.

Sorry to be sarcastic (and off-topic) but i wish some more of Haider's kind would die in similar fashion. Bloody Nazis.

But on the other hand i still wonder why he died in that car. A Phaeton is no Coke-Can like some other cars. He probably wasn't wearing seat belts.

...you wonder...?...

well, it was misty, 01.15AM at night, overtook another car, driving 142km/hr instead allowed 70, happened in a village and he hit a concrete pole...

not so much to wonder anymore I suppose:

post-13995-1223839054_thumb.jpg

I think I don't have to translate; pictures speak for themselves:

post-13995-1223839554_thumb.jpg

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hi.

best regards....

Thanh

Alcohol is an excellent blood thinner (that's why heavy older drinkers get those noses!). And since I don't personally know anyone who goes to the club and doesn't drink, it may be safe to assume that Herr Haider may have bled to death, either interally or by exanguation.

BTW, I've been over 150 KPH in the States, using my old Z28. It showed 85 (~137 KHP) mph before it ran out of dial, but that night I had it bouncing off the peg like an ADD kid on crack. I've also had my old 318i on the run from Nakhon Sawan to Bangkok over 160 KPH, and I've had my CBR 150R up to 155 indicated although after checking with a GPS and discovering there's a 12% error it was more like 136 KPH on a 105 kg bike; definitely got 'light' feeling.

LaoPo

there was a time when we were young and daring too! :D

Oh, absolutely; but in my younger days there were:

a. no normal production cars, capable of speeds of 250-260 km/hr.

b. no better, almost perfect, highways to reach such speeds; not even in Germany (concrete highways !)

b. and a + b didn't exist in Thailand (the messenger was talking 250-260 km/hr between Chonburi-Bangkok) :o

But even nowadays, 250-260 km/hr in Thailand sounds a bit....well....kind of an exaggeration ? :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

My 2006 civic 2liter I used to drive 220KPH every week on the BangNa Trat highway, just couldnt help myself.

Now I have the 2008 Accord 2 liter I have slowed right down and have only once been over 150KPH and that was coming back from Phuket when I was doing 170KPH. the accord is more of a relaxing drive and I dont feel the need to speed in it as I did the civic even if it can still do over 200KPH. which is the main reason for changing cars in the first place.

My 2006 civic 2liter I used to drive 220KPH every week on the BangNa Trat highway, just couldnt help myself.

I think you will find your gauge is overreading at such speeds. I have a 2.0, previous model, and it's theoretical top speed is 208km/h. Never have had it to that speed, just 180km/h, but 208 is entirely believable.

Usually I like to sit on 150-160 on the elevated Bang Na - Chonburi. Hit 180 this morning. All for nought...

If you see a black Altis approaching at speed on this road in your rearview mirror JUST GET THE F*** OUT of the right lane.

I know I drive like a madman, but I dont care. Most Thais have no clue how to drive anyway. The huge double deckers drift all over the place, the vans drivers are dicks, the high-sos in their MBs or SUVs dont move out of principle and pick ups have no business driving 120+.

They dont use turn signals when they need to and dont look in their mirrors.

I get annoyed at all those morons who have to STAND on their brakes before any bend in a road where you can easily maintain the same speed. Or just touch their brakes for NO apparent reason.

I see stuff here all the time that I keep asking myself: Why would you DO that? Pointless, of course.

On the other hand:

I love driving here compared to the Netherlands. It such a free feeling. I have passed cops at 140 and they did not do anything :o

Last time I was able to hit 200+ (on the dial) was Germany and Holland in my Audi V6.

Hope to purchase an Audi S6 soon. 200+ on the elevated Bang Na - Chonburi will be no problem.

And the Jörg Haider accident stinks from here and back. How did the local cops know 12 hours after the accident he hit 142kmh? How? I have seen no evidence. They did say he wore his seatbelt. However, that does nothing at those speeds if you hit a concrete pole.

I do not believe in any mysterious dealings in this matter, but its a little fishy.

LaoPo

there was a time when we were young and daring too! :D

Oh, absolutely; but in my younger days there were:

a. no normal production cars, capable of speeds of 250-260 km/hr.

dam_n Henry Ford; why couldn't he make a supercharged Model T? :o (You had to know that was coming!)

b. no better, almost perfect, highways to reach such speeds; not even in Germany (concrete highways !)

b. and a + b didn't exist in Thailand (the messenger was talking 250-260 km/hr between Chonburi-Bangkok) :D

But even nowadays, 250-260 km/hr in Thailand sounds a bit....well....kind of an exaggeration ? :D

LaoPo

Or just touch their brakes for NO apparent reason.

I'll touch my brakes just enough for the rear lamps to come on; this is done because I refuse to stay on the gas around bends or coming to a major intersection. I've seen too many idiots, in multiple countries to assume that there's not someone pulling out of a driveway or trying to go through a stop sign although the through traffic has right of way to chance becoming a statistic.

How did the local cops know 12 hours after the accident he hit 142kmh?

For what it's worth, you can do the math from the evidence. If you're interested in how, check out this link. Granted, it's not exact, but usually pretty close.

no normal production cars, capable of speeds of 250-260 km/hr.

and a + b didn't exist in Thailand (the messenger was talking 250-260 km/hr between Chonburi-Bangkok)

What about M5, Ferrari, Lambo etc?

Do you know that the cruiser speed of new Nissan GT-R is about 300 km/h?

I had BMW 740 (4.4) in 1999 and 250 km/h is normal for that car without any modifications.

250-260 km/h was an example for the possible speed on elevated way Bangkok-Chonburi.