New Burrito Place

Ulysses G.

Since, as we all know, business has fallen off to next-to-nothing over the last week, could I get away with mentioning that we've always given away free water as a way to get our thread bumped back to the top in order to remind folks that we exist? Or would that be too clearly exploitive? After all, we don't even carry the small over-priced kind. I figure if it falls from the sky, well...maybe it's supposed to be free. Grand scheme or whatever...

Did I mention free chips and salsa?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

El Diablos does an outstanding burrito that far surpasses the crap now being served at Miquel's or even Sunrise in Bangkok - there is a hardly a comparison when it comes to taste and quality of the ingredients being used.

Kudos to the folks running the place for their attention to detail & the excellent home made hot sauces offered and the free bowl of chips and salsa.

El Diablos does an outstanding burrito that far surpasses the crap now being served at Miquel's or even Sunrise in Bangkok - there is a hardly a comparison when it comes to taste and quality of the ingredients being used.

Kudos to the folks running the place for their attention to detail & the excellent home made hot sauces offered and the free bowl of chips and salsa.

I've been there three times. Always order to go. Only once offered chips and salsa for the 20-30 minute wait. I think the prices are slightly higher than what I would expect to pay for similar burritos in the states(while not being as tasty). I note no discernable difference in taste between their chicken and beef burritos(both taste like neither). Still, until something better comes along, I'll stop by occasionally.

I much prefer Miquel's to both Sunrise and El Diablos. It tastes like real, authentic California style Mexican food to me. However, both Sunrise and El Diablos are tasty from time to time and El Diablos is also quite cheap compared to the other two.

I could care less about hot sauce, but it seems that those who appreciate it, like El Diablos offerings. :o

I much prefer Miquel's to both Sunrise and El Diablos. It tastes like real, authentic California style Mexican food to me. However, both Sunrise and El Diablos are tasty from time to time and El Diablos is also quite cheap compared to the other two.

I could care less about hot sauce, but it seems that those who appreciate it, like El Diablos offerings. :o

I concur with U.G.

Ihope the owner decides to enclose and air condition the restaurant to save his obvious labor of love from a quick demise. Ít''s hopelessly loud and polluted and blasting the music to drown out the traffic noise just makes in more unpleasant. But that's just me, maybe others find it acceptable and I'm overly sensitive.

I think it likely that a place like this is exactly what many tourists want. Especially the buzzed ones walking around the main road at night. I'd guess 90% of the business that Mike's/Woody's/Diablo's/Miguels do is from short time tourists, who don't mind and actually want to eat next to the street and be able to watch the going on. Yea, if you're a retired ex-pat looking for a quiet meal, I can see your point, I just don't think that's where most of the business is going to come from, so I'd say he'll do just fine.

Good luck to the owner.

How much is a chicken burrito there anyways?

Edited by damian5000

I could care less about authenticity, I just want good food. I've visited a few "Mexican" venues around town.

El Diablos: Not bad, especially with the free chips while waiting (and quite a long wait even with then place is empty). One burrito is enough for the wife and me. I'd actually recommend he cut down the size, then I'd go there more often.

Miguels: I've been several times, ordered a different dish each time, and every dish tastes exactly the same. In that respect, very disappointing. Doubt I'll want to go back often.

Salsa kitchen: Only discovered them recently, the Caribbean menu is amazingly good (try the jerk chicken). The Mexican food is less filling and better tasting than Miguels. On the down side, the place is cavernous and gets quite loud when there's more than a few people inside.

Salsa kitchen: Only discovered them recently, the Caribbean menu is amazingly good (try the jerk chicken). The Mexican food is less filling and better tasting than Miguels.

Have'nt been there and surprised you say Mexican food is better tasting than Miguels.  I must give this place a go then.

I could care less about authenticity, I just want good food. I've visited a few "Mexican" venues around town.

Salsa kitchen: Only discovered them recently, the Caribbean menu is amazingly good (try the jerk chicken). The Mexican food is less filling and better tasting than Miguels.

I'm not crazy about the Mexican food at Salsa Kitchen although it is OK, but I know a lot of people who think that their BBQ ribs are - by far - the best in town. At least they were at the last location.

Edited by Ulysses G.

El Diablos: Not bad, especially with the free chips while waiting (and quite a long wait even with then place is empty). One burrito is enough for the wife and me. I'd actually recommend he cut down the size, then I'd go there more often.

Miguels: I've been several times, ordered a different dish each time, and every dish tastes exactly the same. In that respect, very disappointing. Doubt I'll want to go back often.

Salsa kitchen: Only discovered them recently, the Caribbean menu is amazingly good (try the jerk chicken). The Mexican food is less filling and better tasting than Miguels. On the down side, the place is cavernous and gets quite loud when there's more than a few people inside.

Yea, give me less food for my money and I'll come to your restaurant. :o

Sunee's Juice Cafe puts on a Burrito special every week.

These burritos are a very generous portion and hard to beat in taste. I doubt anyone will beat out her pricing either.

She has great fresh coffee, juices and a large menu offering both Thai and Western cuisine.

Sunee usually has a daily special some of which are barbecued ribs, spagetti, fish and chips, and of course the burritos.

A lot of expats as well as Thai locals patronize this place and some come by just to chat and so it's a great place to get info and meet some of the locals. Open from 7:30 AM until 7 pm, 7 days/wk.

Sunee's Juice Cafe is over on Thapae Soi 2 near the Verachai Court. Check it out, you'll be glad you did as there is something there for everyone. The value one gets for taste, portion size and price is unbeatable.

cheers,

To make a great S.F. Mission style burrito you need to have a very strong and flexible tortilla, and you need to steam it so it can stretch to hold everything, rice, beans, lettuce, jalapenios, cheese, meat and salsa. Don't know why but all the tortillas I have had in CM are strange, more dense and brittle so prone to structural failure. As to fillings, I think Diablos has more flavor, Miguels has good chili though.

I would like to see a third challenger emerge to be the burrito king of CM. They would have even bigger burritos, assembled in front of you, 3 or 4 basic choices, stewed chicken, pork or beef, with a daily special, maybe bbq.ed, mole or chili verde. You point, they put in the tort, roll, wrap in foil.

To make a great S.F. Mission style burrito you need to have a very strong and flexible tortilla, and you need to steam it so it can stretch to hold everything, rice, beans, lettuce, jalapenios, cheese, meat and salsa. Don't know why but all the tortillas I have had in CM are strange, more dense and brittle so prone to structural failure. As to fillings, I think Diablos has more flavor, Miguels has good chili though.

I would like to see a third challenger emerge to be the burrito king of CM. They would have even bigger burritos, assembled in front of you, 3 or 4 basic choices, stewed chicken, pork or beef, with a daily special, maybe bbq.ed, mole or chili verde. You point, they put in the tort, roll, wrap in foil.

I agree that would be a good burrito, San Francisco style. Your description of it makes me homesick :o

Also, never deep fry a burrito, like they do at Miguels

Edited by Ajarn

These burritos are a very generous portion and hard to beat in taste. I doubt anyone will beat out her pricing either.

She has great fresh coffee, juices and a large menu offering both Thai and Western cuisine.

Sunee usually has a daily special some of which are barbecued ribs, spagetti, fish and chips, and of course the burritos.

A lot of expats as well as Thai locals patronize this place and some come by just to chat and so it's a great place to get info and meet some of the locals. Open from 7:30 AM until 7 pm, 7 days/wk.

Sunee's Juice Cafe is over on Thapae Soi 2 near the Verachai Court. Check it out, you'll be glad you did as there is something there for everyone. The value one gets for taste, portion size and price is unbeatable.

cheers,

Sunees Juice Cafe is probably not the kind of place one would want to patronize specifically for Mexican food.

I really don't understand the Miguel's bashers at all. It's the only authentic Mexican restaurant in town. There is nowhere else to go. Hey guess what? We're not in Mexico. I don't own stock in the company but it is a decent establishment. Sure, not every item on the menu tastes great (like the tamales for example). But most items are good.

cheers,

Sunees Juice Cafe is probably not the kind of place one would want to patronize specifically for Mexican food.

I really don't understand the Miguel's bashers at all. It's the only authentic Mexican restaurant in town. There is nowhere else to go. Hey guess what? We're not in Mexico. I don't own stock in the company but it is a decent establishment. Sure, not every item on the menu tastes great (like the tamales for example). But most items are good.

Tastes like Roberto's too me :o Which is to say, just like home (Nevada). I thoroughly enjoy the food at Miguels.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. :o

Khun Oddysseus,

If beggars were riding horses, how would they beg, then ? Well, at least they'd not be blocking the bridge sidewalks.

your faithfully waiting dog, Argos

I completely agree. We are lucky to have such a decent Mexican place right in Chiang Mai.

I'm not sure what the "deep frying" burritos stuff is about, because the burritos are not fried in any sense of the word

Maybe, their apple pie desert burritos are, but they are not really burritos and taste pretty good anyway. :o

I agree, I like to go to different places for different styles. I like to watch the cook at Miguel's while sitting at the counter, I remember thinking, 'that woman is really handling the kitchen well ....they are lucky to have her'.

A deep fried burrito is sometimes called a "chimichanga" is nasty, but at Mig's I think burritos are toasted on the grill.

I completely agree. We are lucky to have such a decent Mexican place right in Chiang Mai.

I'm not sure what the "deep frying" burritos stuff is about, because the burritos are not fried in any sense of the word

Maybe, their apple pie desert burritos are, but they are not really burritos and taste pretty good anyway. :o

I don't know about what you ordered, but I have oredered burritos from Miguels and they were all deep fried, like the apple burrito, but not the same... ?

I think now it was likely confusion on the cook's part. It has been a few months since they were ordered. On their website, the ones in the picture are fried, but not deep fried..

I still like them unfried in any manner :D

Edited by Ajarn

Maybe Ajarn was given a chimichanga instead of a burrito, but almost all I get are burritos at Miquel's when I go there and none have ever been fried. They do warm them up on the grill to melt the cheese sometimes, but no frying.

By the way, the taco shop on the 4th floor of Pantip plaza is run by a Thai guy who went to the U.S. and worked at Taco Bell and tred to copy their recipes. I don't mind Taco Bell now and again, but I do not consider it to be "authentic" Mexican food in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Myself and a visiting mate went to El Diablo last night for the first time last night and were both very happy with the quality of the food and the service. Met Seamus who seems a nice guy, ate very filling steak and sausage burritos and will definitely revisit the place on my infrequent trips into town. BTW, nachos and dip were good too - not greasy and a fairly piquant salsa.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Maybe Ajarn was given a chimichanga instead of a burrito, but almost all I get are burritos at Miquel's when I go there and none have ever been fried. They do warm them up on the grill to melt the cheese sometimes, but no frying.

By the way, the taco shop on the 4th floor of Pantip plaza is run by a Thai guy who went to the U.S. and worked at Taco Bell and tred to copy their recipes. I don't mind Taco Bell now and again, but I do not consider it to be "authentic" Mexican food in any way.

I was wondering 'bout this place... several times have been "neck" door, the little juice/coffee shop, and have been tempted to try...but now that you mention Taco Bell, I'll skip it.

Taco Bell is a meal for a extemely drunk person...at 0300 hrs.. and only has a buck fifty and no taste buds.