Car Hire And Hotel Wanted Udon Thani

GungaDin

Thanks, it looks like Lek and the Irish clock.

I'll have 2 nights in Udon before driving, any good bars where I can drink out of a brown paper bag with my Aus s ? :o

BTW the malware on Lek's site is HEUR/HTML.Malware

Note: Lek accept payment in advance by PayPal but I'm not sure which currency they will convert A$ to.

Thai baht wasn't listed in their (PP) currencies last time I looked.

Edited by GungaDin

Thanks, it looks like Lek and the Irish clock.

I'll have 2 nights in Udon before driving, any good bars where I can drink out of a brown paper bag with my Aus s ? :o

BTW the malware on Lek's site is HEUR/HTML.Malware

Note: Lek accept payment in advance by PayPal but I'm not sure which currency they will convert A$ to.

Thai baht wasn't listed in their (PP) currencies last time I looked.

If you are staying at the Irish Clock, the same street is full of bars.

^^^^^^^^ Best news I've had all week ! :o

If the Irish Clock turns out to be full visit Udonmap.com where there are some other suggestions. That website also has a section on entertainment, bars etc. The old 'farang alley' has gone now, but there is a new bar complex and many other drinking places in the city centre.

Edited by citizen33

Hi Gunga, I have just visited Udon for the first time and used Lek car rental. Very happy with their service. Also, I had an unfortunate collision with a very clumsy Thai lady driver but the car came with comprehensive insurance which smoothed over what could have turned into a nasty situation.

BTW their new GPS systems are also great if like me, you love gadgets and want to tour the Isaan area. I checked out their web site again but they have not advertised the GPS yet.

Gunga, you reported a virus on the site but the only thing I could find is a harmless malware known as HEUR/HTML.Malware. It is what is known as a FP (False Positive) or false alarm and only very few virus scanners / anti spywares will pick up on it and only then if you have your hueritic set to high. Avira has been plastered all over the forums for being the major culprit for this scare. Basically all I am saying is that their site is CLEAN and virus free.

Enjoy your travels, Mike.

Gunga, you reported a virus on the site but the only thing I could find is a harmless malware known as HEUR/HTML.Malware. It is what is known as a FP (False Positive) or false alarm and only very few virus scanners / anti spywares will pick up on it and only then if you have your hueritic set to high. Avira has been plastered all over the forums for being the major culprit for this scare. Basically all I am saying is that their site is CLEAN and virus free.

Hi Mike, (and others) :D

yes, Avira popped up with that malware warning.

I'll let Lek know of your comments, thank you.

Insurance: Lek offer 1st class insurance.

I checked with a car hire firm closer to Chum Phae if they had 1st Class insurance.

This was their reply: "The vehicle would be unlimited mileage and our insurance carries a 10,000 baht excess which is the maximum you would pay in the event of a total loss of vehicle. Since I have been involved in the company, for the last three years, we have never had such a claim. We do not require payment in advance, we will require full payment for the hire of the vehicle plus a 2,000 baht, fully refundable on return of vehicle, deposit upon collection of the vehicle. "

Not being a car owner or hirer ever in the LoS, I noticed various posts throughout this board recc 1st class insurance. Is the offer above to be avoided or not?

No mention of third party claims! :o

cheers

gd

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm getting old and skeptical, but a newbie posting a glowing review of a car rental agency on his very first post? :o

I'e used Mali Thai car rental several times located right at the airport if you're flying in (Lek is not BTW. I learned that). Walk out in the lot and check out your car before you sign on the dotted line if you like.

They also have a minimum liability coverage policy. 5k or 10k baht as I recall. You're on the hook for the first $100-300 if you are in an accident but they cover 100% after that. It makes sense if you think about it.

Mali Thai had a whole selection of 2x and 4x trucks and cars of various shapes and sizes. I've had a Ford truck, a Chevy 4x4 and a brand new Toyota from them. Most are 999 baht per day.

They don't have a website but it's a nice thai family owned business and most all of them have pretty decent english skills.

Their e-mail address : [email protected]

`````````````````````````````````````

Hotels. Nearly forgot.

I've stayed at the Charoensri Grand Royal Hotel right at the shopping center. Good place but aging a bit. Just a bit over 1k per night and while it had some nice amenities the wifi was grossly overpriced.

I've stayed at the Charoen Hotel right on Phosri Road. I liked this one as well as the other one and I paid 800-900 baht in November as a walk-in. An older hotel as well but very clean and the staff were helpful with several matters for me. The wifi wasn't cheap but bought in a 1-2 hour package. Still less than the other place.

Both of the above have elevators, pools, off street parking and typical things that a room above a pub will not have.

I just noticed they are both listed in the hotels section pinned at the top of this forum section.

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

Ist class insurance or nothing GD.

You'll find anything else may have limited payout due to the accident event.

E.G. I found one place paid out only half of what the vehicle costs if the accident was your fault.

The devil is in the fine print.

Insist on 1st class insurance and nothing else.

Good luck.

Maybe I'm getting old and skeptical, but a newbie posting a glowing review of a car rental agency on his very first post? :o

~WISteve

guess you are getting sceptical indeed. Lek is a reliable provider with a good price and service (will deliver and pick up on the airport) and you will always be able to inspect the car before you have to sign. They have a large selection of cars available and reply swift to emails

• Like 1

E.G. I found one place paid out only half of what the vehicle costs if the accident was your fault.

Good luck.

Agreed!

A tv member contacted me with the same deal as Mali but I'm only interested in 1st class insurance.

BTW. I still need a vehicle from KK ........ not UT for a week from Nov 25th for 7 days.

Thanks for your replies, it's a big help. :o

Also need a htl in KK Nov 23 & 24th

Anyone up for a beer or 3 to swap war stories on Sunday evening in KK, my number is 08 7342 5929 from 22/11

cheers.

PS, if I was going to go from UT, I would definitely use Lek car hire.

Expats Car Rental provide 1st class insurance, however they're in Jomtien, a short Baht Bus trip from Pattaya.

I always head down there to rent one of their vehicles for my travels into the Thai interior due to good rates and the all important 1st class insurance.

The bonus is that my personal travel insurance covers me for the usual 6,000b excess fee in the event of any accident which is my fault.

Here are a couple of possible hotels in KK

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g297926-...aen-Hotels.html

Have a great trip.

Expats Car Rental provide 1st class insurance............

Okay, I'm trying to catch this.

1st class insurance must be a English term for insurance without a deductible I assume?

In American English it would simply mean good coverage from a reputable firm.

~WISteve

Expats Car Rental provide 1st class insurance............

Okay, I'm trying to catch this.

1st class insurance must be a English term for insurance without a deductible I assume?

In American English it would simply mean good coverage from a reputable firm.

~WISteve

I guess insurance has different names depending on which country you come from.

In Australia we call it Full Comprehensive insurance.

The First Class Comprehensive Commercial Insurance I refer to covers you and your passengers, the vehicle's mechanical, electrical and bodywork for both parts and labour repair costs should an accident occur as well as liability for damage caused to other vehicles and/or property, with an excess, typically 5,000B, payable per event.

Whilst researching car rental in Thailand I was blown away to find some car hire businesses offered insurance which only covered 50% of the cost of the vehicle you've hired if the accident was deemed your fault or that only body work was covered but not mechanicals. It was made worse when this was explained to me only after questioning the insurance cover on offer.

Add to this non english contracts and you can end up in quite a bit of hot water in the event of a collision.

Edited by rockyysdt

Thank you Rockyysdt!

I finally realized we were running into the "separated by a common language" phenomenon again! :o

In America insurance companies are largely regulated by the state of the insured, which I believe is quite different than most.

I noticed on my insurance card when I take it out that I have six different coverages:

-Liability which protects others and their property from damage I may cause.

-Uninsured motorist.

-Under-insured motorist, both of which protect me from someone who has no or limited insurance.

-Medical coverage which protects myself and any passengers.

-Comprehensive which protects my car and contents from vandals, storms and other types of non-moving casualty.

-Collision which covers my car and other vehicles I happen to collide with.

Now if I could figure out if Thai companies had similar coverage it would be a good trick I think!

Thanks for the information!!

~WISteve

Good luck.

lek car rental in udon should be your first choice been a tight arse yorkshire man thas got to keep all angles covered

theres so many stories of customers getting stuffed with dodgy car companies so if your not sure first do your research it could save you a lot of problems if you have a smash god forbid

Good luck.

Agreed!

A tv member contacted me with the same deal as Mali but I'm only interested in 1st class insurance.

BTW. I still need a vehicle from KK ........ not UT for a week from Nov 25th for 7 days.

Thanks for your replies, it's a big help. :o

Also need a htl in KK Nov 23 & 24th

Anyone up for a beer or 3 to swap war stories on Sunday evening in KK, my number is 08 7342 5929 from 22/11

cheers.

PS, if I was going to go from UT, I would definitely use Lek car hire.

Lek will deliver to KK airport for about 1000 pound I would guess just ask them

I'e used Mali Thai car rental several times located right at the airport if you're flying in (Lek is not BTW. I learned that). Walk out in the lot and check out your car before you sign on the dotted line if you like.

They also have a minimum liability coverage policy. 5k or 10k baht as I recall. You're on the hook for the first $100-300 if you are in an accident but they cover 100% after that. It makes sense if you think about it.

Mali Thai had a whole selection of 2x and 4x trucks and cars of various shapes and sizes. I've had a Ford truck, a Chevy 4x4 and a brand new Toyota from them. Most are 999 baht per day.

They don't have a website but it's a nice thai family owned business and most all of them have pretty decent english skills.

Their e-mail address : [email protected]

`````````````````````````````````````

Hotels. Nearly forgot.

I've stayed at the Charoensri Grand Royal Hotel right at the shopping center. Good place but aging a bit. Just a bit over 1k per night and while it had some nice amenities the wifi was grossly overpriced.

I've stayed at the Charoen Hotel right on Phosri Road. I liked this one as well as the other one and I paid 800-900 baht in November as a walk-in. An older hotel as well but very clean and the staff were helpful with several matters for me. The wifi wasn't cheap but bought in a 1-2 hour package. Still less than the other place.

Both of the above have elevators, pools, off street parking and typical things that a room above a pub will not have.

I just noticed they are both listed in the hotels section pinned at the top of this forum section.

~WISteve

I've used Mali for nearly five years - never a problem, great cars, great price. They even let me drop off at Suvarnaphumi for a small drop-off fee too.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...