Thaksin's Passport Must Be Seized By British Govt If Allowed To Stay

george

Why doesn't Thaksin just move to Australia, where he has a nice property overlooking Sydney Harbour ? I believe the's no extradition between Thailand and Aus so he should be safe there. If he stays in the UK he can be deported if his asylum bid fails. Why run the risk ?
k

I think the problem is, his wife would qualify for entry in her own right ( she has a criminal record) but he (Mr T) is still a clean skin (at this stage) or have they changed the entry requirement in Australia in recent decades. :o

Australia did in fact accept petty thieves from the UK long ago, but all the major criminals remained home in the UK. Taksin obviously knowing this applied in the UK, despite Australia's significant advantages such as better weather, food and location and an almost complete disinterest in that silly game with the round ball. It also appears Australia wasn't interested.

The UK of course so shocked at the sight of someone actually immigrating rather than emigrating decided he could help balance the outflow somewhat. Hence now adding being a Pommie b*stard to Taksin's list of wrongs. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Thaksin's wife a convicted criminal and isn't there warrants out for Thaksin's arrest? If so then they shouldn't have even been let into the country in the first place, send them straight back and once they have either been freed by the courts or served their time then by all means let them apply for for asylum.

You aren't exactly wrong, as Potjaman is a convicted criminal sentenced to 3 years jail time. Thaksin is a criminal since he jumped bail.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/b002.htm

Since there are too many factors involved in his case, there is little likelihood of his being put on a Thai Airways flight to Bangkok under the protection of H.M.Police.

He is too rich and influential and money talks but his money shouts and demands.

It doesn't matter what people over here think, as far as Thaksin is concerned the world is his oyster. He can go where T F he wants to.

Perhaps he can buy Zimbabwe and turn it around and sell it for a big prophet to the Arabs?

Edited by ratcatcher

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Thaksin's wife a convicted criminal and isn't there warrants out for Thaksin's arrest? If so then they shouldn't have even been let into the country in the first place, send them straight back and once they have either been freed by the courts or served their time then by all means let them apply for for asylum.

You aren't exactly wrong, as Potjaman is a convicted criminal sentenced to 3 years jail time. Thaksin is a criminal since he jumped bail.

Since there are too many factors involved in his case, there is little likelihood of his being put on a Thai Airways flight to Bangkok under the protection of H.M.Police.

He is too rich and influential and money talks but his money shouts and demands.

It doesn't matter what people over here think, as far as Thaksin is concerned the world is his oyster. He can go where T F he wants to.

Perhaps he can buy Zimbabwe and turn it around and sell it for a big prophet to the Arabs?

As long as the case is in Apeal state, they not convicted. As far as I know, know one of them was convicted in the time before. But after jumping bail, many court's see that as a self-conviction.

Still the time they were go to the UK in August, there wasn't a final conviction.

Cheers.

Wish he would, it might solve several problems at one stroke.

Just read inthe Bangkok post: thaksin is thinking about handing in his dipl.passp. to ease the pressure on his brother-in-law, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat ???? What is the game??????

http://www.bangkokpost.net/131008_News/13Oct2008_news04.php

True enough. I guess there are a lot of people who now don't want him to hand in his diplomatic passport because it gives them one less drum to beat. What a killjoy :o

Australia did in fact accept petty thieves from the UK long ago, but all the major criminals remained home in the UK. Taksin obviously knowing this applied in the UK, despite Australia's significant advantages such as better weather, food and location and an almost complete disinterest in that silly game with the round ball. It also appears Australia wasn't interested.

The UK of course so shocked at the sight of someone actually immigrating rather than emigrating decided he could help balance the outflow somewhat. Hence now adding being a Pommie b*stard to Taksin's list of wrongs. :D

I once heard that it even was a requirement to get an aussie passport. :o

The Thai govt, can revoke his diplomatic passport anytime they want. He would then ridiculously have to got the Thai embassy in the UK to get a new standard one, where who knows what would happen. Under the constitution, they can't refuse him a normal Thai passport. If he wants to apply for an investors visa, he has to start the procedure in Bangkok, and those rules are set that way.

He is hedging his bets that PPP won't last and that the next ones in will revoke his diplomatic passport. If he applies for asylum, he can then start the procedure of getting a Brit passport, which enables him to go pretty much anywhere, which a standard Thai passport definitely does not.

It isn't unheard of for asylum seekers in the UK to have to give up their original passport documents, but in this situation, it may up to the given judge to decide.

RED:

They can because of the existing and legal Arrest Warrants! They need only to give an special travel document for to leave the UK directly headed to Thailand.

Cheers.

I stand corrected, so on that basis, he has absolutely no option but to apply for asylum and apply for a British passport, which could take a couple of years to process. As far as I know, investors visas have to be applied for in country of origin.

Question, when given a diplomatic passport in Thailand or anywhere in the world, does your "civilian"/standard passport become null and void? For instance, if Kofi Annan takes a holiday, does he travel on a diplomatic passport or can he choose to travel on his standard passport?

If Thaksin is carrying a Diplomatic Passport the Thai government has every right to revoke that passport. Thaksin is a Thai by birth and it would be a great embarrassment to the Thai government if they implied that he cannot hold a Thai passport. It would be acceptable to ry to restrict his travel by seizing his passport. That may not be too bad since the Thai Government is today the laughing stock of the rest of the world in that they are governing not as a sovereign state but as a bunch of rouges, each insisting on having their own way. My guess is that they would not replace Thaksin's Diplomatic passport anyway. In that case and any reading of the government's and opposition's many public statements would conclude that Thaksin's chance of avoiding persecution is very near impossible and would approve a request for asylum, contrary to the many comments by supposedly UK citizens' statement to the contrary. As stated above Thaksin could likely easily obtain a passport from any number of countries. People in this forum don't seem to be aware that every vitriolic statement they make further legitimizes Thaksin's request for asylum.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I suggest that everyone cool the rhetoric and let litigation take its course. If the Thai government has specific charges that refute the Thaksin claims, they should submit them to the UK government for their consideration. It is my hope that Thailand can stop the railing and start acting like intelligent human beings worthy of being accepted as a sovereign nation. The world, at large, is not impressed by thugs screaming instead of helping by following the laws.

In regard to Thaksin having bought a property overlooking Sydney Harbour, I'm not sure that actually occurred. It was widely reported a year or more ago that he was down there looking - probably not only at property, but no doubt checking the lie of the land should he want to relocate there; and that probably included assessing his options in terms of immigration laws and whether an Australian government might, in the future, be tempted to extradite him to Bangkok, or The Hague, perhaps, should he be indicted for serious crimes such as ordering police to undertake extrajudicial killings - and execute several thousand suspected drug dealers during the so-called War on Drugs in early 2003, gross corruption, etc.

I suspect that Britain is slightly further away and has a stronger record of being a haven for people seeking asylum. Sydney could actually be a little too close to home, given he appears to want to fight the extensive (and I believe, very credible) list of corruption charges levelled at him quite vigorously through his various proxies - Samak, Somchai, Yaowapha, the entire Cabinet.. And, it has been a trait of his super-rich, clever, vain manipulator to try to mask some of his intentions and he probably already has fallback positions such as a lavish flat he reportedly owns in Hong Kong. However, you wonder how much rope Beijing would allow him, if for example, they discovered he was actively funding the undermining of a "rival" administration in Bangkok. It's quite possible the Chinese might want put the clamps on him more seriously - if he was deemed to act counter to China's national interests - than the Brits, who surely already know he's pulling the strings with the current government. Indeed, there is talk of taped phone calls to senior government people here indicating exactly that - in clear breach of his five-year ban from politics.. taped at both ends of the line probably. Given the dramas of Oct 7, it's obvious that the question of granting Thaksin asylum is a can of worms, because it's possible the divisions here will get worse and civil unrest continue. Just in terms of his security, you have to think, he might just feel a bit more secure in London; indoors and slightly less of a target should anyone want to do something radical to try to end the turmoil he is probably seen to be generating here.

Thaksin has also suggested wanting to establish a big development in Cambodia, in Koh Kong, which would be something that Hun Sen might want to ponder deeply, as it may not be so wise if the yellow shirts get the reins next year (something that looks unlikely at present, but quite possible). Relations with Phnom Penh have deteriorated badly this year and could become a real mess unless "border issues" are managed carefully by people or an entity respected on both sides. Having Thaksin living just across the border, playing golf and attending parties with the likes of Kamnan Poh and Vatana Asavahame, could give Cambodia a mafioso image that tops Spain's Costa del Crime. It could seriously undermine bilateral relations; although Thaksin and Hun Sen are probably aware of that he would have to fly a little under the radar - and keep a low profile, particularly if they hope to form companies for joint development of oil and gas reserves in contested areas in the Gulf, as has been mooted.

Wherever he settles, there is the chance of ongoing problems, given the charges Thaksin faces and his current desire to quash or negate them as much as possible (by amending the constitution, having people in the DSI to water down or sink possible charges, etc). You do have to marvel at his nerve, however; to think he has the capacity to convince half the Thai population to back amendments to the charter that would negate the charges he faces (among other "unjustices" perpetrated by the coup-makers). It's extraordinary.

I would have thought the courts and the EC need to be a lot more vigorous in pursuing Mr T, People Power. And surely judges - or rather, his "elite" rivals - should be quietly targeting seizure of the USD 2 billion frozen in his accounts, simply to end the bankrolling of UDD and other groups that could act in aggressive and divisive ways. One can't help feeling the lethargic pace of justice in this country is bringing it down.. distracting the Thai people from the far more disturbing global financial and environmental crises; that Thais need to confront energetically.

Finally, in regard to passports, I'm pretty sure there were media reports a number of months ago indicting he had two or more - a normal one, plus his diplomatic passport. The interesting thing is where the Brits impose travel restrictions on him or his family for any reason.

I don't know where he would want to go. Other countries might decide to detain him, if the Thai gov't requested it. Could cause some major problems.

But Thai government does not request something.

thaksin is definately a criminal.He and wifey went back to face trial and things didn't go the way he wanted and now he's running for his life,he'd better be careful...............The USA finally got OJ :o

Edited by unforgiven

You have got no chance of that happening the UK government have got know idea what they are doing.How do you think Shinawatra and his convicted wife got through british customs in the first place.?

You try and enter the UK from Thailand with a criminal conviction against you .You would not have a chance of being allowed in .So ask yourself how did he get in the answer is money talks.

You're wrong!

At the time Thaksin and his wife was going to UK, there wan't outstanding arrest warrant's. That arrest warrant's were created later after they didn't appears to the court hearing.

Cheers.

She had already been convicted

As long as the case is in Apeal state, they not convicted. As far as I know, know one of them was convicted in the time before. But after jumping bail, many court's see that as a self-conviction.

Still the time they were go to the UK in August, there wasn't a final conviction.

Cheers.

You try to get into the UK with a conviction against you (If on appeal or not )and i can tell you .You would not be allowed in.

In regard to Thaksin having bought a property overlooking Sydney Harbour, I'm not sure that actually occurred. It was widely reported a year or more ago that he was down there looking - probably not only at property, but no doubt checking the lie of the land should he want to relocate there; and that probably included assessing his options in terms of immigration laws and whether an Australian government might, in the future, be tempted to extradite him to Bangkok, or The Hague, perhaps, should he be indicted for serious crimes such as ordering police to undertake extrajudicial killings - and execute several thousand suspected drug dealers during the so-called War on Drugs in early 2003, gross corruption, etc.

I suspect that Britain is slightly further away and has a stronger record of being a haven for people seeking asylum. Sydney could actually be a little too close to home, given he appears to want to fight the extensive (and I believe, very credible) list of corruption charges levelled at him quite vigorously through his various proxies - Samak, Somchai, Yaowapha, the entire Cabinet.. And, it has been a trait of his super-rich, clever, vain manipulator to try to mask some of his intentions and he probably already has fallback positions such as a lavish flat he reportedly owns in Hong Kong. However, you wonder how much rope Beijing would allow him, if for example, they discovered he was actively funding the undermining of a "rival" administration in Bangkok. It's quite possible the Chinese might want put the clamps on him more seriously - if he was deemed to act counter to China's national interests - than the Brits, who surely already know he's pulling the strings with the current government. Indeed, there is talk of taped phone calls to senior government people here indicating exactly that - in clear breach of his five-year ban from politics.. taped at both ends of the line probably. Given the dramas of Oct 7, it's obvious that the question of granting Thaksin asylum is a can of worms, because it's possible the divisions here will get worse and civil unrest continue. Just in terms of his security, you have to think, he might just feel a bit more secure in London; indoors and slightly less of a target should anyone want to do something radical to try to end the turmoil he is probably seen to be generating here.

Thaksin has also suggested wanting to establish a big development in Cambodia, in Koh Kong, which would be something that Hun Sen might want to ponder deeply, as it may not be so wise if the yellow shirts get the reins next year (something that looks unlikely at present, but quite possible). Relations with Phnom Penh have deteriorated badly this year and could become a real mess unless "border issues" are managed carefully by people or an entity respected on both sides. Having Thaksin living just across the border, playing golf and attending parties with the likes of Kamnan Poh and Vatana Asavahame, could give Cambodia a mafioso image that tops Spain's Costa del Crime. It could seriously undermine bilateral relations; although Thaksin and Hun Sen are probably aware of that he would have to fly a little under the radar - and keep a low profile, particularly if they hope to form companies for joint development of oil and gas reserves in contested areas in the Gulf, as has been mooted.

Wherever he settles, there is the chance of ongoing problems, given the charges Thaksin faces and his current desire to quash or negate them as much as possible (by amending the constitution, having people in the DSI to water down or sink possible charges, etc). You do have to marvel at his nerve, however; to think he has the capacity to convince half the Thai population to back amendments to the charter that would negate the charges he faces (among other "unjustices" perpetrated by the coup-makers). It's extraordinary.

I would have thought the courts and the EC need to be a lot more vigorous in pursuing Mr T, People Power. And surely judges - or rather, his "elite" rivals - should be quietly targeting seizure of the USD 2 billion frozen in his accounts, simply to end the bankrolling of UDD and other groups that could act in aggressive and divisive ways. One can't help feeling the lethargic pace of justice in this country is bringing it down.. distracting the Thai people from the far more disturbing global financial and environmental crises; that Thais need to confront energetically.

Finally, in regard to passports, I'm pretty sure there were media reports a number of months ago indicting he had two or more - a normal one, plus his diplomatic passport. The interesting thing is where the Brits impose travel restrictions on him or his family for any reason.

You've made many good points.The best being that the international community has to see him as the criminal that he is and that his agenda by proxy is to regain thailand..............assasinaton would solve a lot of problems :o

There is no need to tell another sovereign nation, Britain, what she should be doing.

All the Thai government has to do is revoke Taksin's Thai passport. :o

correct and if they don't do at least that and soon then something very fishy is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

They can't revoke his passport - he is still Thai citizen, and hey won't revoke his passport because he controls the government.

If it's confirmed that he has Bahamian citizenship now, it could be a reason to revoke ALL his passports, even the ordinary one, not that Nong Somchai would do anything about it.

It is a wonder our southern friends haven't contacted their opposite numbers in the UK and come to some arrangement re the Toxin problem as it seems there is an outstanding matter yet to be finalised.

Toxic Shittiwater will have both a diplomatic and a standard passport.

His (I'm guessing here) long standing visas for England and the US (amongst others) will be in his standard passport, so no great problem to him. The only inconvenience of handing the diplomatic passport back is that he will have to get in line with the rabble that gets off the plane and not go to the diplomatic line. :o

They can't revoke his passport - he is still Thai citizen, and hey won't revoke his passport because he controls the government.

If it's confirmed that he has Bahamian citizenship now, it could be a reason to revoke ALL his passports, even the ordinary one, not that Nong Somchai would do anything about it.

you are wrong ,the passport is the property of the country and any country can revoke it's passport as well as citizenship if so desires...then you are stateless.........read your passpot :o

:o

Why doesn't Thaksin just move to Australia, where he has a nice property overlooking Sydney Harbour ? I believe the's no extradition between Thailand and Aus so he should be safe there. If he stays in the UK he can be deported if his asylum bid fails. Why run the risk ?
k

I think the problem is, his wife would qualify for entry in her own right ( she has a criminal record) but he (Mr T) is still a clean skin (at this stage) or have they changed the entry requirement in Australia in recent decades. :D

Suprise Suprise now it appears Mr "T" is qualified for entry to Oz as well. :D

you are wrong ,the passport is the property of the country and any country can revoke it's passport as well as citizenship if so desires...then you are stateless.........read your passpot :o

Yes, they can revoke any passport for any citizen they want but No, that wouldn't make him stateless. The passport is only travel documents (for ID purposes), not a proof (nor requisite) of citizenship.