Big Buddha

Wellington

Off topic and argumentative posts removed and their responses. Please keep on topic and civil, thanks.

just amazing this TV Phuket forum crowd.........that some innocuous pictures of the Big Buddha made for argumentative and uncivil posts is hilarious.

Couldn't take Sir Burr's bait, huh? Not an Aussie or in Rawai? Or worse yet, an over 50 skin headed tattooed Aussie living in Rawai, who likes the Big Buddha.

Can someone can me exactly where it is please or perhaps even G/E co-ordinates, I think it's almost time to take the family for a visit.

It's Looking Good. Thanks for the photos Wellington (or do I have to call you Mr.Boot :o )

Hi LK,

if going from the Chalong circle towards Central-Lotus area, approximately 2KMs on your left is a relatively new big road that leads up to the Big Buddha. Two big lanes, you can't miss it. Also, there is pretty good signage.

That's the general area, sorry, I do not have coordinates.

I've been going up there for 5 years now. I remember when they were only building the base and the road was all dirt and pretty tough going back down.

Then i started walking up from the bottom near the main Choafa West road every Saturday with my friend.

Then i started looking for more adventurous ways up the mountain and have bushwhacked up there from Pub Pla on the Kata/Chalong road as well as came in from the north on different dirt roads through the rubber plantations.

It has come a long way and there are now some restaurants on the way up, the road is mostly all concrete now and much safer, and there are nice bathrooms at the top.

Great views looking in all directions from this 350 meter peak. There is a small lookout to the south behind the small shrine at the top of the steps that is my favorite viewpoint.

My son paid the 100 baht for a small square of marble to be glued on the outside which is what makes it so bright in the daytime or night and shouldn't get the brown mildew on it like regular cement always does here. You write your name on it and it is like a donation but a bit more personal.

It is a good place to go to get away from the hustle and bustle of Phuket and I believe they are building a small park just to the nortwest of the statue.

Most tourists walk through the big building where the monks will bless you and there are a few different donation boxes and picture on different processes the construction has gone through.

The inside of the statue is hollow with concrete steps and I don't think this part is opened yet and haven't been up more than one level so I don't know what the plans are for that part.

Anyway, enjoy. It is a fine addition to the island and can be seen from most of the southern end.

ps. can't imagine why a post got deleted already. What's not to like?

Nice photos! I didn't know it was completed yet. I guess I'll go check it out. Is there any entrance fee? or do they just have a donation box?

There are plenty of donation boxes,but free car park.

If you want you and your family to e remembered as contributors you can sign ,date and draw pictures if you wish on a small marble piece to be inserted eventually in the creation of The Buddha for 200 bht

and you can get a blessing from a monk at the entry and donate whatever you feel your visit was worth to you.

It certainly uplifted us and we came home with happy memories of a wonderful,worthwhile trip.

I don't know what all the fuss was about over deleted posts I have not seen.

But I take this tremendous effort by The Monks of Phuket very seriously and feel any one can go there and say whatever prayers you believe in, and relieve your immediate troubles .

The road is cement almost all the way except for about 300-400 meters in the middle where it is more flat.

The steep stuff is ok, but i would think you need heavier tires (or push the bike) for that middle section.

It does get very steep in spots. Good luck. I see one or two people biking up there but many more walkers, especially Sat. mornings.

Can someone can me exactly where it is please or perhaps even G/E co-ordinates, I think it's almost time to take the family for a visit.

It's Looking Good. Thanks for the photos Wellington (or do I have to call you Mr.Boot :o )

It's visible from most of the south of the island. Just go to chalong and look up. Unless it's raining in which case low cloud may obscure it.

The entrance road is 3 or 4 kms south from Wat Chalong but on the other side of the road. There are road signs too.

To one of the other posters who implied that it's finished, well, it isnt quite finished. It's looking good though. Most of the outside is finished. The inside isnt finished and i m not sure what they will do with that, but it's looking good. I think the inside is the 'centre' of the Buddha and may be regarded as a pretty special place.

To the poster who wants to cycle up there. It's fine with a decent mountain bike, though it's pretty steep in places. The road is good. Coming down would be tough on the brakes though.

There is a very nice west facing restaurant near the top, which is reasonably priced with good views over kata/karon.

I do hope that they have plans to light it up at night - that would be spectacular. The Buddha is finished in white marble, and it would shine brilliantly if lit up at night. It would be a great landmark for mariners coming into Chalong bay too.